Insulin spike PWO necessary? - AnabolicMinds.com

Insulin spike PWO necessary?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    hl80's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    95

    Reputation

    Insulin spike PWO necessary?


    I keep hearing that it's not necessary. From what I've read, spiking insulin has been a standard practice postworkout to maintain an anabolic state, as insulin is the most powerful anabolic hormone, and it sets the stage for quicker glycogen replenishment. Complete postworkout supps like Torrent and Dark Matter also seem to support this.

    What do you think? Any truth to the high GI carbs/insulin spike PWO not being necessary?

  2. New Member
    jsheely's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    252
    Rep Power
    195

    Reputation

    I know it helps suppress cortisol levels post wo. To save money I just drink a shake with milk post wo because of all the sugar in it.
  3. New Member
    hl80's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    95

    Reputation

    Yes exactly, cortisol = catabolic hormone, so you're maintaining an anabolic state.

    Lactose (milk carbs/sugar) isn't a terrible choice unless you're lactose intolerant, which you may be if you're not of Northern European descent. You probably also get some with your whey unless it's pure isolate. And some whey products like ON's contain enzymes (lactase) to help. Though malto/dextrose/sucrose/honey would be better. I get NOW's Carbo Gain (malto) for $23 for 12 lbs, pretty cheap.
    •   
       

  4. Banned
    JW32Hoops's Avatar
    Stats
    6'7"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,200
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    You could add something like Dextrose (which is super cheap) to your PWO shake, but I wouldn't say it's 100% necessary.
  5. Board Sponsor
    Distilled Water's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,682
    Rep Power
    2077855

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I've gone back and forth on this a lot......Im going to say no. I've had a lot of success using low-GI carbs post workout. Dextrose and Malto give me stomach issues anyways. WMS works great for me because of simplicity and 9 times out of 10 I am not hungry post workout.

    WMS attracted me bc of it's high molecular weight and ability to help shuttle goodies without insulin being needed.

    Here's my advice try one for 4 weeks and chart gains and then try the other for 4 weeks. See which works better for you.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  6. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    bpmartyr's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,443
    Rep Power
    27396

    Reputation

    I am in the no camp.

    Complex carbs for me after workout thank you. Blended oats, protein and a banana.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  7. Professional Member
    mooch2321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,835
    Rep Power
    2013

    Reputation

    1 iload
    2 scoops karbolyn
    6 scoops xtend
    post workout perfection....im with distilled water on this one
  8. Senior Member
    matthias7's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,627
    Rep Power
    880

    Reputation

    Hey at last - good company. Low GI forever except I've a weakness for full cream icecream (I can sink a 1/2 litre tub pretty easily).

    I think the idea of trying the spike and charting is a very good one. Hi GI carb is cheap.
  9. JM0
    New Member
    JM0's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    85

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr View Post
    I am in the no camp.

    Complex carbs for me after workout thank you. Blended oats, protein and a banana.
    I'm with you, man. I jumped on the WMS bandwagon a while ago, but I didn't notice any difference in gains.

    I'm going back to ground-up oats in my post-workout shake.
  10. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768795

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    necessary no, possibly slightly beneficial - but moreso only if everything else is on target too. Otherwise you are about as likely to add more fat than muscle
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  11. Board Sponsor
    bigswole30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    503
    Rep Power
    187903

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    No, it is not neccessary. Beneficial for some yes...,However I have found I gain just as much lean muscle with protein and fats PWO as I do with Carbs.
  12. UKStrength
    Guest
    UKStrength's Avatar

    You'll get answers from both camps, those who avoid/keep carbohydrates low post workout and those who 'go for the spike'.

    I personally go for an insulin spike post workout, since the rest of my meals/diet is very low GL/GI, to me it's the best time to spike insulin if you're ever going to do it.
  13. Advanced Member
    lozgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    40
    Posts
    660
    Rep Power
    455

    Reputation

    There are pros and cons to both. Insulin and GH won't share the same stage and when you do strenuous exercise (aerobic or anaerobic) the body releases GH. One of the few times of the day it will other than REM sleep. You can release insulin at will. By consuming carbs PWO you kill your GH release. Both hormones are anabolic. The benefit of GH vs insulin is insulin makes fat and GH burns fat.

    As for me I always did carbs PWO, but this time I am going to go without.

    Also if you are "on" cortisol should not be a concern. You are anabolic as a result of the hormones.
  14. Banned
    steveironman's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    216
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    I seriously suspect any naturally created insulin response due to hi gi carbs PWO wouldnt be a significant enough response to create that much of an anabolic environment, meaning it wouldnt foster significant ,if any, added muscle growth. . Exogenous insulin = yes , this IMO - no.
  15. Advanced Member
    lozgod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    40
    Posts
    660
    Rep Power
    455

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by steveironman View Post
    I seriously suspect any naturally created insulin response due to hi gi carbs PWO wouldnt be a significant enough response to create that much of an anabolic environment, meaning it wouldnt foster significant ,if any, added muscle growth. . Exogenous insulin = yes , this IMO - no.
    I have read this as a newly founded opinion by quite a few, but there are some studies that show otherwise. Aminos are shuttled in to the muscle tissue at an increased rate vs. PWO protein without a high GI carb.

    My concern is moreso, no matter how insignificant, you are laying fat down each time you do this.
  16. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    bpmartyr's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,443
    Rep Power
    27396

    Reputation

    Fat bad, muscle gooood!
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  17. Senior Member
    msucurt's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,514
    Rep Power
    1796

    Reputation

    I used to simply take

    2scoops MPI
    2 tbsp natty pb
    10g leucine

    Nothing wrong with that. Im done with all the sugas PWO...especially since im trying to cut and its summer. Until i see otherwise, im sticking with this protocol.
  18. New Member
    WilteredFire's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  164 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    328

    Reputation

    Guys if I can just throw a wrench into the works here, you may want to check out this article:

    http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/laywindownon.pdf

    Its an indepth study on post workout nutrition but in laymans terms. You can read the indepth one on their site somewhere too, I found this quite helpful in deciding what to do and what not to do post workout. Been following it best I can for just under 2 years now.

    See if this can help shed some light into the matter
  19. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768795

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    without references, that pdf is pointless. anyone can write whatever they want to write, if there aren't actual studies backing it up that you can look at to see where the study has flaws, its just an opinion.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  20. Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
    dg806's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,346
    Rep Power
    1319

    Reputation

    I've seen studies that show low gi carbs work just as well as high gi carbs to spike insulin. Like DS said, try it both ways and see what works for you the best.
  21. Board Sponsor
    Distilled Water's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,682
    Rep Power
    2077855

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by dg806 View Post
    I've seen studies that show low gi carbs work just as well as high gi carbs to spike insulin. Like DW said, try it both ways and see what works for you the best.
    Fix'd it for ya

    Yea everyone is so different. My buddy from HS could literally eat a cup of sugar and grow while another who can't even look at carbs with out gaining mid-section BF (I think he's diabetic but wont get tested)
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  22. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78135

    Reputation Reputation

    I used to be vehemently YES, but as far as personal experience on going the route of Simple Carbs/Leucine/Protein PW for months on end and then a season of Ezekiel Natty PB & Sugar Free Jelly/Protein PW route. The difference was negligible. I'm going with I still somehow want to believe that it's a YES deep down, because of all the science I've read on it, but from my personal experience, I say NO, not so much.
    NSCA - CSCS
  23. Board Sponsor
    Distilled Water's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,682
    Rep Power
    2077855

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    I've read on it, but from my personal experience, I say NO, not so much.
    And how can u argue with those traps
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  24. Professional Member
    celc5's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,211
    Rep Power
    140359

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by steveironman View Post
    I seriously suspect any naturally created insulin response due to hi gi carbs PWO wouldnt be a significant enough response to create that much of an anabolic environment, meaning it wouldnt foster significant ,if any, added muscle growth. . Exogenous insulin = yes , this IMO - no.
    Agreed with this post. I was gonna say the same thing... not sure if that makes you look bad though

    I've seen plenty of theories that suggest glycogen levels are restored just as easily spreading out carbs throughout the day, regardless of hi vs. low GI. I'm not convinced that a post workout heavy carb load does anything whatsoever vs. a diet where total carbs were spread through the day.
  25. New Member
    hl80's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    95

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by celc5 View Post
    Agreed with this post. I was gonna say the same thing... not sure if that makes you look bad though

    I've seen plenty of theories that suggest glycogen levels are restored just as easily spreading out carbs throughout the day, regardless of hi vs. low GI. I'm not convinced that a post workout heavy carb load does anything whatsoever vs. a diet where total carbs were spread through the day.
    Interesting. I just talked to a colleague who has a lot of experience in the area (physiology professor), and he said the same thing: that he wasn't convinced that heavy postworkout carb intake made a big difference.

    I've read a pretty credible book on the topic, Nutrient Timing (you can find from Google Books), which really promotes the insulin spike at a 3-4:1 carb-protein ratio with high-GI carbs postworkout.

    So the topic is debatable. I guess just go with what works best for you. I guess drinking tons of sugar postworkout at least tastes good. :-)
  26. Senior Member
    nunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,528
    Rep Power
    1317

    Reputation

    my body works very well with a1:1 carbs , protein ratio pwo, I really notice a big difference, but well that's me , I don't know if it's gonna work with everyone else
  27. New Member
    hl80's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    95

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by nunes View Post
    my body works very well with a1:1 carbs , protein ratio pwo, I really notice a big difference, but well that's me , I don't know if it's gonna work with everyone else
    Wow that's pretty low. Have you ever tired 2-4:1? 3-4:1 is from what I've read the "optimal" digestion ratio for resistance training, but I guess it depends a lot on your style of training + body type.
  28. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78135

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by hl80 View Post
    Interesting. I just talked to a colleague who has a lot of experience in the area (physiology professor), and he said the same thing: that he wasn't convinced that heavy postworkout carb intake made a big difference.

    I've read a pretty credible book on the topic, Nutrient Timing (you can find from Google Books), which really promotes the insulin spike at a 3-4:1 carb-protein ratio with high-GI carbs postworkout.

    So the topic is debatable. I guess just go with what works best for you. I guess drinking tons of sugar postworkout at least tastes good. :-)
    I've read that same book (I liked it) and I've also had discussions with my Exercise Physiology/Strength & Conditioning Professor (who does independent studies for supplement companies and has published studies on PW leucine/maltodextrine; examined via muscle biopsies & MRI's to analyze muscle cross sections....).

    I still think there is a benefit to the post workout carb/protein/leucine load... even in nursing, which have no bodybuilding agenda's, recognize the 1 hour window of greater insulin sensitivity post anaerobic training, which you can exploit.

    However, from my anecdotal & subjective experience as someone who was once PASSIONATE about the post workout window and never skipped a beat with taking down a 50g protein, 75g carb shake to gargle down a mouthful of bulk NP Leucine powder administered with a dirty spoon, DAILY. I did not experience any significant benefits.

    I would recommend you try it and see how well you respond.

    There is so much room for mediating variables in this arena, not only in proper administration/execution, but physiological & biochemical variances. This is probably why supplements are so often Hit & Miss and at such opposing spectrums from one person to another.

    Some people felt PRIME by USPLabs was a sham because it didn't work for them. PRIME worked insanely well for me. I love RPM, yet some people don't respond to it, and it's a STIMULANT, which is traditionally VERY consistent from person to person.

    I'm not a fan of broscientists who try something and due to their failed personal experience, deem an ideal (or supplement) null & void.

    I've probably gone through tons of protein powder, but not once in my life have I ever “experienced” any “signifcanlty” perceivable benefits, in size, strength or anything at all, but it's just a concept that you know is beneficial.

    This PW carb window could very well be the same thing. It's doing SOMETHING good, but not in a significant enough manner to say, “yes this works” or “100% no it doesn't.”

    Post workout insulin sensitivity is a natural, bodily process, endogenous processes are hardly ever mind blowing and almost always pale in comparison to exogenous stimulated processes (ie. BB supps) which seem to be the unrealistic standard. I'm guilty of it as well, so I'm not preaching from a 12 foot horse or anything.
    NSCA - CSCS
  29. Board Sponsor
    Distilled Water's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,682
    Rep Power
    2077855

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    I'm not preaching from a 12 foot horse or anything.
    Nah, just 12 feet traps.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  30. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78135

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    Nah, just 12 feet traps.
    Gracias!


    NSCA - CSCS
  31. Professional Member
    celc5's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,211
    Rep Power
    140359

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Fellas, Nutrient Timing is not a credible source. IIRC that's a promo ad from GNC for a postworkout carb drink from about 6 or 8 yeas ago. Is Ed Byrd's NO2 book credible? See my point
  32. New Member
    hl80's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    95

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    I've read that same book (I liked it) and I've also had discussions with my Exercise Physiology/Strength & Conditioning Professor (who does independent studies for supplement companies and has published studies on PW leucine/maltodextrine; examined via muscle biopsies & MRI's to analyze muscle cross sections....).

    I still think there is a benefit to the post workout carb/protein/leucine load... even in nursing, which have no bodybuilding agenda's, recognize the 1 hour window of greater insulin sensitivity post anaerobic training, which you can exploit.

    However, from my anecdotal & subjective experience as someone who was once PASSIONATE about the post workout window and never skipped a beat with taking down a 50g protein, 75g carb shake to gargle down a mouthful of bulk NP Leucine powder administered with a dirty spoon, DAILY. I did not experience any significant benefits.

    I would recommend you try it and see how well you respond.

    There is so much room for mediating variables in this arena, not only in proper administration/execution, but physiological & biochemical variances. This is probably why supplements are so often Hit & Miss and at such opposing spectrums from one person to another.

    Some people felt PRIME by USPLabs was a sham because it didn't work for them. PRIME worked insanely well for me. I love RPM, yet some people don't respond to it, and it's a STIMULANT, which is traditionally VERY consistent from person to person.

    I'm not a fan of broscientists who try something and due to their failed personal experience, deem an ideal (or supplement) null & void.

    I've probably gone through tons of protein powder, but not once in my life have I ever “experienced” any “signifcanlty” perceivable benefits, in size, strength or anything at all, but it's just a concept that you know is beneficial.

    This PW carb window could very well be the same thing. It's doing SOMETHING good, but not in a significant enough manner to say, “yes this works” or “100% no it doesn't.”

    Post workout insulin sensitivity is a natural, bodily process, endogenous processes are hardly ever mind blowing and almost always pale in comparison to exogenous stimulated processes (ie. BB supps) which seem to be the unrealistic standard. I'm guilty of it as well, so I'm not preaching from a 12 foot horse or anything.
    Good post, thanks. Could you recommend any similar books to Nutrient Timing?

    When talking to the professor, he actually said the growth hormone you naturally secrete while sleeping is actually of more benefit than an insulin spike postworkout.
  33. New Member
    hl80's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    95

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by celc5 View Post
    Fellas, Nutrient Timing is not a credible source. IIRC that's a promo ad from GNC for a postworkout carb drink from about 6 or 8 yeas ago. Is Ed Byrd's NO2 book credible? See my point
    Really? Darn, I picked up the most credible looking book I could find at Borders in that area. The authors seem really qualified and cite their sources in a really detailed bibliography. Which book(s) would you recommend instead?
  34. Senior Member
    nunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,528
    Rep Power
    1317

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by hl80 View Post
    Wow that's pretty low. Have you ever tired 2-4:1? 3-4:1 is from what I've read the "optimal" digestion ratio for resistance training, but I guess it depends a lot on your style of training + body type.
    do you think that 30 gr of protein with 30 grs of carbs its low after workout?
  35. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78135

    Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by celc5 View Post
    Fellas, Nutrient Timing is not a credible source. IIRC that's a promo ad from GNC for a postworkout carb drink from about 6 or 8 yeas ago. Is Ed Byrd's NO2 book credible? See my point
    I'm not really trying to defend the PW argument (I stopped choking down a mouthful of leucine powder with my protein shake in the parking lot of the gym years ago). However, to play devils advocate:

    Do we agree that the body shifts into a catabolic state as a result of intense resistance training?

    If yes, then some immediate carbs/proitein can reverse that effect, so there's a pro.

    Do we agree that intense resistance training depletes glycogen and as a result requires replenishment?

    Yeah... but I don't know if you really need to pull it all in at once. I think this can be achieved just fine eating throughout the day, so this is a bit ambiguous.

    However, your muscles are particularly primed for sugar intake due to the heightened insulin sensitivity post workout, so I don't think loading carbs PW is a complete waste.

    Furthermore, it is well known that the ingestion of l-leucine further increases insulin release, therefore, augmenting and by working in conjunction with the previous paragraph.

    Again, I don't practice the PW simple sugar load anymore, at least not intentionally. I practiced it RELIGIOUSLY for probably 6 months, but found that the results did not justify the effort.

    Bulk Leucine tasts like a mouthful of table salt and washing that down with a warm protein shake is not the bizz.

    I've been academically convinced on many occasions as to why I should practice this again, but for me, based on my personal experience, where I was a PW Nazi, it just doesn't seem worth it. However, I would recommend trying it.
    NSCA - CSCS
  36. New Member
    hl80's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    95

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by nunes View Post
    do you think that 30 gr of protein with 30 grs of carbs its low after workout?
    From what I've gathered, many people who resistance train take 60-80g carbs postworkout with around 25g protein.
  37. Future
    Guest
    Future's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    I'm not really trying to defend the PW argument (I stopped choking down a mouthful of leucine powder with my protein shake in the parking lot of the gym years ago). However, to play devils advocate:

    Do we agree that the body shifts into a catabolic state as a result of intense resistance training?

    If yes, then some immediate carbs/proitein can reverse that effect, so there's a pro.

    Do we agree that intense resistance training depletes glycogen and as a result requires replenishment?

    Yeah... but I don't know if you really need to pull it all in at once. I think this can be achieved just fine eating throughout the day, so this is a bit ambiguous.

    However, your muscles are particularly primed for sugar intake due to the heightened insulin sensitivity post workout, so I don't think loading carbs PW is a complete waste.

    Furthermore, it is well known that the ingestion of l-leucine further increases insulin release, therefore, augmenting and by working in conjunction with the previous paragraph.

    Again, I don't practice the PW simple sugar load anymore, at least not intentionally. I practiced it RELIGIOUSLY for probably 6 months, but found that the results did not justify the effort.

    Bulk Leucine tasts like a mouthful of table salt and washing that down with a warm protein shake is not the bizz.

    I've been academically convinced on many occasions as to why I should practice this again, but for me, based on my personal experience, where I was a PW Nazi, it just doesn't seem worth it. However, I would recommend trying it.
    Very good post.

    Personally, I do have a fair amount of carbs and protein post workout. It DOES help me. At age of 36 and being in the gym since I was 11 I have tried many approached. PWO nutrition is vital. I dont care if you have a steak and yam but I think most will benefit from carbs/proteins to help speed recovery. That window of the insulin spike helps get protein shuttled into the muscle as well. Great time to take your creatine as well.

    Nutrient timing is NOT a source. It's a nutritional understanding of your body chemistry. Sourced are Layne Norton, Jose Antonio, Robbie Durand and Carlon Colker to name a few. Not to mention the experiential data from many that benefit from this timed eating. I don't think Leucine is a fair example of not getting gains from pwo nutrition. It's pretty overrated. I would suggest a quality protein and waxy carb source.
  38. Future
    Guest
    Future's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by nunes View Post
    do you think that 30 gr of protein with 30 grs of carbs its low after workout?
    Depends on your diet and the training you did prior. Its a fair amount to start with and adjust accordingly.
  39. Future
    Guest
    Future's Avatar

    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi54.htm

    This has an article and calculator that you can use as well.
  40. Senior Member
    nunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,528
    Rep Power
    1317

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by hl80 View Post
    From what I've gathered, many people who resistance train take 60-80g carbs postworkout with around 25g protein.
    interesting, but as you said this is a discussion area where the individual counts, I already saw studies where people only use protein with almost the same benefit as protein + carbs
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Leucine And Insulin Spike
    By nobel252 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-23-2011, 02:42 AM
  2. insulin spike on no carb day
    By nonidentity in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-02-2011, 01:40 PM
  3. question about insulin spike
    By cessna in forum Bulking
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 05:19 PM
  4. CEE without NO or insulin spike
    By Blutarski in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-18-2005, 12:37 AM
  5. HIT cardio and insulin spike
    By Deano in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 12:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in