CLA work or waste????

joeflex73

joeflex73

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It is worth taking, but it is subtle. The best part about CLA is it promotes better body composition and there are tons of studies on it and it's effects. Dose it at 3-5g/day. You may not really notice its effects, similar to a vitamin supplement in that fashion, but the studies have shown that progressive supplementation with it does give some nice results. Including it on a cut or recomp is a smart idea.

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
I have been taking it for about a month now, but I am taking it at an ultra high dose of 15g a day. I have seen incredible results, there was a study that I saw somewhere that the amount needed to see positive effects was at least 4.6g a day with a peak of 6g saying that increasing above that amount per day did not increase positive results. However the study only tested subjects up to 8g a day... I'll see if I can find it...

UKStrength

I have been taking it for about a month now, but I am taking it at an ultra high dose of 15g a day. I have seen incredible results, there was a study that I saw somewhere that the amount needed to see positive effects was at least 4.6g a day with a peak of 6g saying that increasing above that amount per day did not increase positive results. However the study only tested subjects up to 8g a day... I'll see if I can find it...
Would love to see the reference mate if you've got it. I'm jumping on the CLA bandwagon ASAP, too many health and body composition benefits associated with that supplement to avoid it!

demetre

Awards
thank you guys i actually have been doing 5 grams a day for 3 weeks now and have lost 3 percent body fat and hopefully i don't know for sure 3-5 pounds of muscle

kingofdiamond

Awards
I've read in a couple magazines that it can take up to 12 weeks of taking it to notice effcts

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Does CLA's trans fatty acid profile make it unhealthy for the heart????

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
Considering I've been taking about 9g of CLA per day during my cut, and my HDL just came back at 28... I'm starting to wonder myself... Last time it was about 49. That's a huge drop.

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
Considering I've been taking about 9g of CLA per day during my cut, and my HDL just came back at 28... I'm starting to wonder myself... Last time it was about 49. That's a huge drop.

Looked through so many studies to find the one I was talking about I found something for you too!!!
Clinical laboratory analyses and vital sign observations.

The below is quoted from this study: http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/130/12/2943?ijkey=9361aebf51a764403ad3e2f9121738520a0bca6a#T5

and is located about a quarter of the way into the study

Clinical laboratory analyses and vital sign observations.

Blood samples were analyzed to monitor safety and effects of the CLA treatment. Some changes were observed within each group. In the placebo group, a significant increase in glucose after 12 wk was found (P = 0.02). In all CLA-treated groups, significant reductions in blood lipids (total cholesterol, HDL cholesterol or LDL cholesterol) were found (Table 5Citation ). Additionally, a significant increase in potassium (P = 0.02), and a decrease in serum creatinine (P = 0.004) and platelets (P = 0.02) were found in the 3.4 g CLA group. In the 5.1 g CLA group, significant reductions in serum creatinine (P = 0.05) and bilirubin (P = 0.05) were found. A significant reduction in creatine-phosphokinase (P = 0.03) was found in the 6.8 g CLA group. None of these changes, however, were considered clinically important.

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
btw I learned even more today. my 1fast400 cla is crap because of the cla isomer blend.

and the only company that does the most optimal blend, the one most successfully used in all of the BFM reduction studies, would be a 50/50 blend of "cis-9, trans-11 isomer" and the "trans-10, cis-12 isomer." is PRIMORDIAL PERFORMACE's cla.

But at the same time they are the only company I know of you their blend of cla without having to ask.

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
However CLA is NOT a nutrient Partitioner. and has in some studies proven to lead to insulin resistance.

That is found in a complete CLA Summation article located here:

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/85/5/1203

Which also has this little picture and summary:

FIGURE 2.. The effect of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) dose on rate of change in fat mass. The rate of change in fat mass due to CLA dose was calculated relative to that obtained with placebo. The encircled data point from the study by Kreider et al (27) qualifies as an outlier and was not included in the regression analysis. The results from the Gaullier et al (33) study were excluded because of a lack of placebo group for 2-y comparison.

Attachments

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
27. Kreider RB, Ferreira MP, Greenwood M, Wilson M, Almada AL. Effects of conjugated linoleic acid supplementation during resistance training on body composition, bone density, strength, and selected hematological markers. J Strength Cond Res 2002;16:325–34.[Medline]

33. Gaullier JM, Halse J, Høye K, et al. Supplementation with conjugated linoleic acid for 24 months is well tolerated by and reduces body fat mass in healthy, overweight humans. J Nutr 2005;135:778–84.[Abstract/Free Full Text]

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
Would love to see the reference mate if you've got it. I'm jumping on the CLA bandwagon ASAP, too many health and body composition benefits associated with that supplement to avoid it!

I was incorrect, the study went up to 7g of CLA not 8g.

There are a fortitude of benefits, including lower everything in your blood levels.

However there are also drawbacks to CLA:
Although no severe adverse events have been related to the use of CLA, there are reports of effects of CLA on several risk factors for chronic disease (reviewed in 41 and 42). CLA has been shown to slightly increase biomarkers of inflammatory disease (usually within the published normal values), including C-reactive protein (43), white blood cell counts (33, 35), and blood and urinary isoprostanes (24). Elevations of these biomarkers have been suggested to be indicators of inflammatory disease (44-46) but have also been shown to be antiinflammatory (47). In addition, although CLA does increase these suggested biomarkers of inflammation, animal studies strongly suggest that CLA is not proinflammatory but antiinflammatory. CLA decreased and reversed atherosclerosis (48-50), decreased antigen-induced airway hypersensitivity (51-52) and improved airway response in humans (53), increased life expectancy in a mouse lupus model (54), decreased inflammation in a model of arthritis (55), decreased bowel inflammation in a pig model (56), and reduced endotoxin- induced (57) and cancer-induced (58) cachexia in many animal models. Thus, although CLA has been shown to cause a modest increase in inflammatory markers, it has also been shown to decrease inflammatory disease in several models. The relevance of these elevated biomarkers of inflammation taking into account the decrease in inflammatory disease remains to be determined.

CLA has also been reported to increase insulin resistance (24, 28, 59). This has been most notable in studies of short duration (59), those that used single isomers (24, 28), or both. For example, in one study, insulin resistance was reported in individuals supplemented with only the t10, c12 isomer for 12 wk, but not with a mixed preparation of predominantly the c9, t11 and t10, c12 isomers (24). In a later study, the same enriched t10, c12 supplement was given for 18 wk and did not result in insulin resistance (25). Many studies either have not found significant changes in fasting glucose or insulin or in measures of insulin sensitivity (17, 19, 25, 27, 31, 32, 34-36, 60-67) or have found an improvement (30, 35, 62). With regard to both safety and efficacy, it has been suggested that CLA preparations enriched in c9, t11 and t10, c12 isomers are preferable to preparations containing 4 isomers (41), and this may also be true compared with single isomer preparations. Further investigation into the safety of CLA is warranted.

I'm not citing all of those studies, you can find them here:http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/85/5/1203

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
I've read in a couple magazines that it can take up to 12 weeks of taking it to notice effcts

you see effects in 4 weeks however they intensify thru week 12, then maintain if you continue. do not take for more than a year straight.

demetre

Awards
thanks man for all the info i feel more confident now and will continue to use. are you telling me that the cla from PRIMORDIAL PERFORMACE is the best one?

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
While I am not anything from anyone, based on all of the reading I did today, they have the best blend of cla, that will yield the best results. I also cannot say it is the ONE however because I haven't seen the breakdown of every companies CLA.

demetre

Awards
well for the price it is better than gnc and the fact that it is on back order means they are selling

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
Primordial has the highest quality for the lowest price.

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
I guess I'll stop the CLA pretty soon and have my HDL checked again in a few months to see if things have improved...

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
All liver values are normal. Only thing bad in my bloodwork was low HDL.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do liver-functions tests as well; there has been some data showing possible liver concerns from CLA, and its a good idea to check on the ALT/AST.
Dang, never knew that. :(

Future

It is worth taking, but it is subtle. The best part about CLA is it promotes better body composition and there are tons of studies on it and it's effects. Dose it at 3-5g/day. You may not really notice its effects, similar to a vitamin supplement in that fashion, but the studies have shown that progressive supplementation with it does give some nice results. Including it on a cut or recomp is a smart idea.
GREAT advice. Totally agree.:squareeyed:

subweevil

subweevil

Awards
  • Established
I've used and still use CLA. Like it's already been said, it takes a bit to see the results, but they did show up for me, mainly in my abdomen. Primordial Performance is what I use.

standoe3

Awards
hello I new to this site but I have some input im taking max cla from max muscle so far so good but its been only two days

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
wasnt it also shown to reduce a lot more fat when taken with guarana
by reducing fat by 50% in 12 week period time