Leucine; 4:1:1 vs. 6:0:0

adnscmplx

Awards
Hello-

It seems that the bulk of the rationale for supplementing free form BCAA's relates to Leucine and it's role in stimulating muscle protein synthesis. Because of this, retailers have begun to sell BCAAs in a 4:1:1 ratio instead of the classic 2:1:1. Why not just get pure Leucine? Is there any reason to supplement Isoleucine and Valine? Do we not get enough of these to meet metabolic demands from a high protein diet consisting of lots of egg, meat, whey, casein, etc.?

I have noticed that bulk Leucine is cheaper than bulk 4:1:1 BCAAs so if it is both more effective (in theory) and cheaper ($12.34 vs. $16.90 per lb from TP). Why not just supplement with the pure stuff?

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well becauase when u work out u deplete all bcaas not just one. This is the reasoning behind it. And leucine is important but u need the others as well

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
like my intra aid shake I mix a scoop of protein powder with dextose(20 grams each) and additional luecine powder

dmillz224

dmillz224

Awards
  • Established
U should supplement all BCAA's not just luecine however you could dose BCAA's with a higher dose of luecine but you need all forms of BCAA's for them to work properly

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
I've noticed a sudden influx of new BCAA products and have been rather confused, as I still believe Xtend will continue to dominate them in sales. Which company sells a 4:1:1 ratio, though?

AK32408

AK32408

IBE/PHF Rep
Awards
  • Established
I've noticed a sudden influx of new BCAA products and have been rather confused, as I still believe Xtend will continue to dominate them in sales. Which company sells a 4:1:1 ratio, though?
AI has a new one out with that ratio.

KmuL

KmuL

Awards
  • Established
RecoverPRO features the 4:1:1

adnscmplx

Awards
I've been buying bulk leucine 4:1:1 from TP. I will check some of those links out. It sounds like I am not the first person to wonder about this though.

adnscmplx

Awards
I read the three above links from bb.com. It seems like the smart money is to supplement leucine by itself and then be sure to get a high protein meal shortly after. The latter criteria shouldn't be a problem because all of us are probably eating at least 1 g of protein/ lb of body weight per day. I doubt that supplementing with EAA's is nessecary because a proper bodybuilding diet will provide all of the EAA's that one will ever need.

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
I doubt that supplementing with EAA's is nessecary because a proper bodybuilding diet will provide all of the EAA's that one will ever need.
False. Timing of digesting and absorption is also important and this is where BCAA's come into play. You would never get what you truely need for optimal protein sysnthesis with food or whey protein.