Quick Question

Golden

Awards
Greetings,

I'm new here, and I gotta admit this is a really cool site. Anyways, let me tell ya a lil bit about me before I ask my question.

I'm 24 yrs old 160 lbs. Ive been training for a couple of years. Made awesome progress but I think I've hit a plateau. I'm looking to gain more mass. I've adjusted my workouts accordingly and diet is in check. Thing is I'm not too familiar with supplements and/or stacks and I am looking to add some. I'm currently on whey protein, and creatine.

What recommendations, suggestions, advice, can ya'll offer?

Thanks in advance.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
changing your diet is one way to over come plateau's. changing your routine is another. changing most anything that your body is accustomed to will break plateau's. you want mass? then you need more food. adding 200 cals a week or every 2 weeks will help.

Golden

Awards
cool, what would you suggest that I aim for for the 200 cals? and depending on my results, i would see how many weeks to increase cals right?

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
cool, what would you suggest that I aim for for the 200 cals? and depending on my results, i would see how many weeks to increase cals right?
increase cals in two areas, complex carbs and protein. not just whey protein but real food. i would watch your bf% as you go along and do this. get a caliper if you don't have one. you can increase 200 a week or 200 every two weeks. some bodies adjust quicker than others

Golden

Awards
sounds good, should i still stick with what im currently on?

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yes definitely some BCAA, maybe some beta alanine for endurace. Its really up to you and what your budget allows. I would definitely get some sort of BCAA supplement

Xtend
Purple Wraath
LG BCAA+EAA
Look for RecoverPro by AI
Primordial Peformances BCAA's also look promising.

Golden

Awards
alright, i understand that there are some supplements that are for preworkout, postworkout, and during workout. On the BCAA and beta alanine, would i take them during workout? I knew that some supplements can be pricey, so i cut out many expenses to be able to get supplements. im open to anything.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
People take BCAA's throughout the day but mainly people use them pre, intra, and post workout. Beta Alanine is also dosed differently with different people. Most people take it pre and post workout. Beta Alanine is by no means a staple, altho many people use it as a staple.

Golden

Awards
ok but arent bcaa's in the protein shakes? or is it that theres not enough in the shakes?

pfafkl13

Awards
ok but arent bcaa's in the protein shakes? or is it that theres not enough in the shakes?
Yes, BCAA's are in protein but not in as high of amounts.

I would stick with whey and creatine for the time being and just up your calories. I was your weight for awhile and did all different kinds of supplments trying to put on size but it never came. The only time I gained is when I learned how to eat more (clean) food.

My breakfast shake looks like this:

Blend
1.5 c oats 450 cals
25 g whey 100 cals
1.5 tbsp natty pb 150 cals
Total = 700 cals

Obviously this is used in a bulking phase but its nothing but good clean food. Complex carbs, good fats, and protein.

If you have that at 7am and then a snack (300 cals) before lunch with a similar sized snack after lunch then you should grow. Do this over a period of time.

One of my favorite supplements for bulking is Now - Super Enzymes. They allow you to eat more food without the bloating and full feeling so you dont feel sluggish. $12 nutraplanet.com

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Also for whey to digest it takes anywhere to about 90 minutes to reap all the benefits of it, BCAA's takes about 15.

At least thats what I have read.

Chubbinmuffin

Chubbinmuffin

Awards
  • Established
Xtend is now a staple in my book. Don't forget squats and deads! And yeah ^ I believe that's somewhat correct. Whey would take longer to digest since the protein has to be broken down where as BCAAs are already broken down proteins. A more pure protein, if you will. Also, don't forget the multis and fish oil.

Golden

Awards
thx, yeah i was told to take digestive enzymes for my post workout meal. to help speed up nutrients to muscles