Protein Shake Before Sleep

edwardyi

edwardyi

Awards
Quick question.

Would it be optimal to take a whey protein isolate shake right before heading to bed? It has 0g of fat. Please let me know why.

Thank you.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
It wouldn't be bad for you, but not exactly optimal.

You want something to feed you when you sleep. That's why you should consume Casein protein before bed, because it absorbs slower.

Isolate is good for the morning and right after a workout because it absorbs so quickly.

Chops89

Chops89

Awards
  • Established
As Renegade said, get yourself some Casein protein. Cottage cheese is a good source. Whey is best left for when your body needs protein quickly.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
You can put make your protein shake in milk which slows the uptake.

Jeremy Brown

Jeremy Brown

Awards
  • Established
as stated above casein should be your primary protein source for a pre-bed shake. it is also very beneficial to add a scoop of whey to your shake as well. this will allow for your body to feed immediately off the whey followed by the casein later on while you sleep.

subweevil

subweevil

Awards
  • Established
You could also take it with some fish oil, or natty peanut butter as fats slow digestion. Isolate is also better if your lactose intolerant.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
You could also take it with some fish oil, or natty peanut butter as fats slow digestion. Isolate is also better if your lactose intolerant.
yep 2 scoops casein, 1tbsp natty pb or almond butter in h2o

msucurt

msucurt

Awards
  • Established
1.5 cups of cottage cheese
2tbl of FF/SF whip cream
2tbl natty pb
splash of milk

blend with an immersion blender. Put in freezer for an hour or so = PB ice cream

edwardyi

edwardyi

Awards
haha great ideas :) i used to just swallow 2 tablespoon of peanut butter and chug a protein shake before bed. I did that to slow down the digestion of whey. buying whey and casein is too expensive =\

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
take it when ever like when u wake up. also too many ppl think food helps u when u sleep to bad most of the food u eat directly befor bed goes into storage.
now taking yer shake like 1 hour pre bed isnt bad.
digestion slows down whenu sleep fyi

haha great ideas :) i used to just swallow 2 tablespoon of peanut butter and chug a protein shake before bed. I did that to slow down the digestion of whey. buying whey and casein is too expensive =\

no just a waste of money, just think of all the tubs of protine u buy, then think of all the whole food u could have bought?

1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
I would focus on not spiking your insuline. That will lower your GH output.

I've actually quit my late night meals in favour for more GH release. But my main focus is anti-aging and general fitness, not bodybuilding ;)

stevche

stevche

Awards
i noticed when i took either micellar or casein before bed, id never wake up hungry.

I've gotten the same effects from cottage cheese too, as the guys have mentioned above

but then again, your micellar and casein proteins arent exactly cheap, and a tub of cottage cheese every night can be kinda costly too....

when i got none of the above... i just put a few scoops of unflavoured Whey Isolate or Concentrate in a thermo flask with a bit of milk + water and just keep it by my bed. Before i fall asleep i'll drink about a 1/3 of it. I set an alarm for 3hours after, then just reach over drink the rest and back to bed... half the time i wont need my alarm as i usually get up during the night to take a piss anyway :p

works out cheap, and i never wake up hungry :)

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
A protein milk shake does give me a good nights sleep. The problem is an unwanted insulin spike and GH release. High quality icecream is great... (alas the one vice in my low GI diet - but what delicious one). BTW where to buy bulk oats in the UK?

Anyway the idea is that if you can get a drop in body temperature just before going to bed it'll give you a deeper sleep, because naturally you will do that anyway. Deeper sleep should ^ GH, at a guess. Showering, bathing produces a similar effect.

Better modify that you'll go to sleep faster and get into deep sleep faster. This is the body's restorative phase of sleep.

Hmmm... I'm still not happy with this description but get the sort of idea. There's a variety of ways to get good sleep but supplements play a role.

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
Bullet Proof anyone anyone

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
bulkpowders , bit slow but good quality, I get my resveratrol there aswell
Thanks again. Very useful indeed.

I'm having problems with MyProtein.co.uk right now. They'll not even give me the name of their line manager to write a formal complaint. I suspect my complaint will be 'intercepted' enroute.

For this sort of this shipment costs mean its got to be within the UK.

Apologies off topic -- but really useful.

On topic you can pick up bulk caesin there. Its cheaper than egg white powder.

skalami

Awards
what about just a chicken breast or some egg whites? sometimes the real stuff is the best. At my stop & shop its $1 for a dozen eggs

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Hmm.... don't spike your coritsol if you can avoid it. Thats a heavy meal before bed. Egg whites seem okay, powder though has less chance of Salmonella / Campylobacter.

You kinda want an insulin spike post workout with BCAA that sort of thing. Okay. Here though .... I dunno. Coritisol ^ Test down, GH? down?

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
1 hours to hour and a 1/2 b4 bed i drink

2 scoops whey
1.5 cups milk 1%
1/5 cup oats
EVOO
strawberries

i think it works good.

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
Muscle Pharm Bullet Proof ( this what you need NO BS try it you will understand... If want somthing to help you grow and get a deep sleep Bullet proof is the one)

412 Grams Orange Raspberry
Supplement Facts
Serving Size1Scoop
Servings Per Container22

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Bullet Proof™ Proprietary Blend 18735mg **

HGH And Night Growth Matrix **
L-Arginine HCL
Gamma Amino Butyric Acid
4-Amino-3Phenylbutyric Acid (Phenibut)
Macuna Pruriens Extract (Standardized To 20% L-Dopa)
L-Phenylalanine
L-Tyrosine
ZMA Blend
Zinc (As Monomethione And Asparate)
Magnesium (As Asparate)
Vitamin B-6 (As Pyridoxine HCL)

Muscle Recovery Matrix **
L-Glutamine
HMB
Calcium-B-Hydroxy-B-Methylbutuyrate Monohydrate
Beta Alanine
Citrulline Malate
Gingerols (From Ginger Root) 20%

Essential Amino Acid Blend **
L-Theronine, L-Valine, L-Methionine, L-Isoleucine, L-Phenylalanine, L-Histidine, L-Lysine, L-Aspartic Acid, L-Serine, L-Glutamic Acid, L-Proline, L-Glycine, L-Alanine, L-Leucine, L-Cysteine HCL

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
** Daily Value not established

Other Ingredients
Sucralose, Maltodextrin, Malic Acid, Citric Acid, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucrose, Guar Gum

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Like every1 else said. Optimal means best possible time, I guess, and before sleep is not the best time for a whey shake.

Thing is theres really no bad time for one. It would be optimal to have one mutliple times a day. Many people say get whole foods and dont worry about supplements there is no miracle yadda yadda yadda. But drinking those protein shakes is probably the most anabolic thing you can do.