Whey Absorbtion: Does it turn to Glucose?

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.41%

Whey Absorbtion: Does it turn to Glucose?

Hey Guys,
    I spend most of my time in the AAS/DS section, but I need some advice as I'm fine tuning a really successful cut that I'm on. Its going great and Ive lost 10 lbs in 8 weeks. Slow and steady and, lost NO muscle. Finally got the cut down and I'm about 9% at the moment. But want about 4 more lbs of fat OFF.

So, I was using a lot of whey protein as I'm heavy on the protein and I need it at work. Then I learned (here, if I recall) that we can only absorb about 12 grams of whey per hour, and since it's fast absorbing, the rest turns to GLUCOSE! Can't find that thread...

Question is: How much whey can we absorb per hour, really, for a 220lb bb'er. (210 now) Or per lb. of lean mass, maybe?

And: How long does it really take to digest Casein. I'm gonna start using this also, as I'm sick of drinking 10-15 gram shots of Whey each hour, ten times a day to avoid the glucose conversion.

I'm on about 300 grams of protein a day and about 100gms come from shakes, the other 200 from Meat and Egg whites...

Thanks a ton for any wisdom you can provide!
    Brenn

Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

did you read the thread from APPNUT you should find all he answers there
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.41%

Didnt see it, Ill take a look thanks!
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.33%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I can't find the link my self. I tried to search.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.5%

12 grams per hour? never heard that in my life

i need to see the link to this
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.41%

Ok, I've found an excellent article, but it's on another board. Is it OK to post a link here?

ctAL: Theres a nice chart showing digestion rates per hour for several foods...

The article is REALLY long, took me an hour to read and I'm a fast reader. Good thing it's Sunday.

Here's what I've found for the time and (like me) search function challenged:

1) Apparently, it does take 4 hours to digest 40 grams of Whey protein (10 grams/hour). The rise in bloodstream amino-acid levels begins ONE HOUR after ingestion and continues thereafter for another 3. Some whey IS oxidized for energy. So knock off a few grams from our carb intake as we'll be getting a bit of energy from the whey too. And raise the animal proteins a bit, as the intake from whey is not 100% used for building.

Whey Oxidation for energy was discussed as it does happen, but only mentioned in passing and no percentages mentioned. Seemed minor.

Surprisingly (to me) onset time in the bloodstream was the SAME for Casein and whey, with the blood amino-acid profile rise beginning 1 hour after ingestion. But casein lasts for 7-8 hours total and the initial spike in levels beginning one hour after ingestion is slightly lower than for Whey. So longer, but a lower spike.

On a side note: 1) It was found that Whey positively affects protein synthesis, but has no effect on catabolism. While Casein stops catabolism, but had no affect on protein synthesis (anabolism).

2)Whey + casein after training is better than whey alone (positive for both anabolism and anti-catabolism).

This answers my question: Why was I getting fat using whey as a protein source (1/3rd due to work). I had based my caloric needs upon burning only carbs and fat eaten, while using protein eaten for muscle repair. But because of using some of my protein for energy, I needed to knock down the carbs a bit more, as I was using them for energy too, so I was sparing carbs and staying fat.

I've got a new plan considering all this, incorporating BCAA's and Casein, I'll keep you posted on how it goes...

I did drop the carbs down a bit and spaced out smaller doses of whey and it has worked excellently. I just wanted to know why.
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.5%

Brenn

can you PM the article?

those are very interested facts you just pointed out, should be posted on EVERY forum like this.

matter fact im gonna send you an article i read recently too

from my understand there is no such thing as fat free whey an also whey concentrate is better than isolate an also hydrolysed.
  9. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.97%

Quote Originally Posted by Brenn View Post
    Ok, I've found an excellent article, but it's on another board. Is it OK to post a link here?

ctAL: Theres a nice chart showing digestion rates per hour for several foods...

The article is REALLY long, took me an hour to read and I'm a fast reader. Good thing it's Sunday.

Here's what I've found for the time and (like me) search function challenged:

1) Apparently, it does take 4 hours to digest 40 grams of Whey protein (10 grams/hour). The rise in bloodstream amino-acid levels begins ONE HOUR after ingestion and continues thereafter for another 3. Some whey IS oxidized for energy. So knock off a few grams from our carb intake as we'll be getting a bit of energy from the whey too. And raise the animal proteins a bit, as the intake from whey is not 100% used for building.

Whey Oxidation for energy was discussed as it does happen, but only mentioned in passing and no percentages mentioned. Seemed minor.

Surprisingly (to me) onset time in the bloodstream was the SAME for Casein and whey, with the blood amino-acid profile rise beginning 1 hour after ingestion. But casein lasts for 7-8 hours total and the initial spike in levels beginning one hour after ingestion is slightly lower than for Whey. So longer, but a lower spike.

On a side note: 1) It was found that Whey positively affects protein synthesis, but has no effect on catabolism. While Casein stops catabolism, but had no affect on protein synthesis (anabolism).

2)Whey + casein after training is better than whey alone (positive for both anabolism and anti-catabolism).

This answers my question: Why was I getting fat using whey as a protein source (1/3rd due to work). I had based my caloric needs upon burning only carbs and fat eaten, while using protein eaten for muscle repair. But because of using some of my protein for energy, I needed to knock down the carbs a bit more, as I was using them for energy too, so I was sparing carbs and staying fat.

I've got a new plan considering all this, incorporating BCAA's and Casein, I'll keep you posted on how it goes...

I did drop the carbs down a bit and spaced out smaller doses of whey and it has worked excellently. I just wanted to know why.
    Typically, protein used as a substrate is only 5% of total substrates needed. However, during exercise this can increase to a maximum of ~15%. The rest is used for heat, building hormones, enzymes, muscle, etc.

I don't know what your macro percents are, but I would suggest bringing the fatty acid intake down and keeping the carbohydrates the same. The only thing with a high carbohydrate diet is a little excessive bloat.
  10. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.85%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Question is: How much whey can we absorb per hour, really, for a 220lb bb'er. (210 now) Or per lb. of lean mass, maybe?
    around 9-11g, but you found that already

And: How long does it really take to digest Casein. I'm gonna start using this also, as I'm sick of drinking 10-15 gram shots of Whey each hour, ten times a day to avoid the glucose conversion.
    casein about 9 hours, but its only in the 6-7g/hour range, and less oxidation too. So taking a 50g casein shake every 8 hours covers you pretty well, and if you really want to shake it up then at the midpoint of the 8 hours you could take in 5-10g of leucine by itself (as it doesn't convert to glucose, but will kickstart anabolism)
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.41%

Hey Easy, Great to have you here!
    And thanks for the link, Crazy!
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.62%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Wow, I never knew Whey could be absorbed for up to 4hrs.

I'm thinking I need to cut back on my intake. Maybe alot is getting wasted.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Absorbtion with DAA, does it matter?
    By chainsaw in forum Supplements
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-19-2011, 09:39 PM
  2. absorbtion
    By Dyou in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-17-2008, 09:20 PM
  3. Absorbtion of T3...
    By dsw222 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0