Sodium Bicarbonate as a Lactic Acid Buffer?

sword-

Awards
Does anyone have any information on the benefit of using baking soda as a lactic acid buffer, much like beta alanine does, to increase anaerobic performance?

Lactic acid does not directly create acidosis in the body, but it does lower the pH levels some in the body. I am starting to experiment more with ergogenic type supplements preworkout to increase performance.

steveironman

Banned
Awards
Due to amount needed to make even minor impact, extremely short duration of impact .. ...ineffectiveness of oral administration ..and bodies quick response to correct changes in ph to maintain homeostasis ...i think you will find this to be 100% ineffective.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone have any information on the benefit of using baking soda as a lactic acid buffer, much like beta alanine does, to increase anaerobic performance?

Lactic acid does not directly create acidosis in the body, but it does lower the pH levels some in the body. I am starting to experiment more with ergogenic type supplements preworkout to increase performance.
Lactic acid quickly dissociates its hydrogen atoms and forms lactate. The free floating hydrogen atoms decrease pH (acidosis). Unless you compete at high intensity / endurance you probably won't notice any benefit from the sodium bicarbonate.

UKStrength

You'd be better off using Beta-alanine mate, such as Peak Beta by Molecular Nutrition:

Peak Beta at Nutraplanet

...Sodium Bicarbonate is an old method, plus you'll end up with horrible GI discomfort :(