Resveratrol bioavailibility, bad or maybe not?

1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
I've been reading up on Resveratrol and it's bioavailability and found some interesting studies I'd like to discuss.

A lot of work is being done in increasing Resveratrol bioavailibility because it's said to be terribly low, it's absorbed allright but then sulfanated and glucuronidated in the liver. Plasma levels of "pure" Resveratrol after oral administration are very low, because of its metabolisation into resveratrol-4'-O-glucuronide (M1), resveratrol 3-O-gucuronide (M2), and resveratrol-3-O-sulfate (M3). However, how about this part in the study included below:

It is known that beta-glucuronidase, the enzyme that breaks down glucuronide, is widely expressed in organs, tissues, and body fluids in humans. Therefore, this enzyme may release a drug or bound molecule like resveratrol locally or systemically from a glucuronide conjugate (such as resveratrol glucuronide).

Does this not render the whole bioavalability discussion on Resveratrol obsolete? All intelligent input is very much appreciated!

Thomas Walle and colleagues at the University of South Carolina confirm that a minimum of 70 percent of oral resveratrol, as a small molecule, is absorbed in the human digestive tract, but thereafter most resveratrol in blood plasma is conjugated with (complexed with) sulfur and glucuronic acid as it passes through the liver. [Drug Metabolism Disposition 32:1377–82, 2004]
Pharm Res. 2006 Sep;23(9):2107-15. Epub 2006 Aug 9. Links
Increased transport of resveratrol across monolayers of the human intestinal Caco-2 cells is mediated by inhibition and saturation of metabolites.
………….. PURPOSE: The study's aim was to investigate the dose-dependent effect of sulfation and glucuronidation on intestinal absorption of resveratrol, a dietary constituent found in grapes and various medical plants. MATERIALS AND METHODS: The intestinal epithelial membrane transport kinetics and metabolism of resveratrol (10-200 microM) was studied using Caco-2 monolayers cultured in Transwells. RESULTS: Along with resveratrol it was possible to identify three metabolites, namely, resveratrol-4'-O-glucuronide (M1), resveratrol 3-O-gucuronide (M2), and resveratrol-3-O-sulfate (M3) by LC/MS and NMR. Efflux of the glucuronides M1 and M2 followed Michaelis-Menten kinetics significantly favouring basolateral efflux. The predominant metabolite was the monosulfate M3, however, its formation was strongly inhibited at higher resveratrol concentrations. As biotransformation was either inhibited or saturated, total amount of resveratrol transported across the Caco-2 monolayers increased as much as 3.5-fold at 200 microM resveratrol. This value might be even higher when taking into account the high intracellular concentration of resveratrol, which accounted for up to 61% of the applied dose. CONCLUSIONS: Our data demonstrate a concentration-dependent biotransformation of resveratrol in Caco-2 cells, which may also apply to human enterocytes affecting oral bioavailability.
PMID: 16952002
Researchers at the Institute of Human Virology, University of Maryland Biotechnology Institute, have written an extensive report describing the biological aspects of liver metabolism and resveratrol. Here is an excerpt paraphrased from their paper:
What is the biological function of glucuronidation of resveratrol in humans? What is the real bioactive form of resveratrol in living organisms? …There are examples showing that liver metabolism (glucuronidation) has a role in drug disposition and drug targeting in humans. It is known that beta-glucuronidase, the enzyme that breaks down glucuronide, is widely expressed in organs, tissues, and body fluids in humans. Therefore, this enzyme may release a drug or bound molecule like resveratrol locally or systemically from a glucuronide conjugate (such as resveratrol glucuronide). In fact, many glucuronide prodrugs have been designed and are under development that bind a synthetic drug molecule to glucuronide which subsequently depends upon the beta-glucuronidase enzyme to release it into living tissues.
Therefore, it is likely that at least a portion of resveratrol is unzipped from its protective carrier by the glucuronidase enzyme and could be converted back to free resveratrol. Since tissue or serum beta-glucuronidase enzyme activity is elevated in certain diseased tissues, such as cancer, liver diseases, and AIDS, resveratrol would be targeted and released more so in these tissues than in healthy ones. Researchers state that “these observations… raise the possibility that glucuronidation of resveratrol may have a role in detoxification, disposition, and prolongation of the effectiveness of resveratrol in humans.” [Journal Pharm Science 93:2448–2457, 2004]

1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
Quercetin, naringin inhibit sulfation of Resveratrol and are taken alongside to increase bioavailability. This study below provides one good reason to not interfere with the sulfation process:

The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism Vol. 89, No. 4 1779-1787
Copyright © 2004 by The Endocrine Society
Phytoestrogens Are Potent Inhibitors of Estrogen Sulfation: Implications for Breast Cancer Risk and Treatment
R. M. Harris, D. M. Wood, L. Bottomley, S. Blagg, K. Owen, P. J. Hughes, R. H. Waring and C. J. Kirk

School of Biosciences and Medical School, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, United Kingdom

Address all correspondence and requests for reprints to: C. J. Kirk, School of Biosciences and Medical School, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, United Kingdom. E-mail: [email protected].

We investigated the ability of 37 flavonoids and flavonoid sulfoconjugates, including some abundant dietary constituents, to act as substrates and/or inhibitors of the sulfotransferase and sulfatase enzymes that interconvert active estrogens and inactive estrogen sulfates in human tissues. The enzymes studied include estrogen sulfotransferase, the thermostable phenolsulfotransferase that acts on a range of substrates including estrogens; steroid sulfatase; and two related enzymes, monoamine phenolsulfotransferase and arylsulfatase A. Several dietary flavonoids, including the soy isoflavones genistein and daidzein, were sulfated by these human sulfotransferases. Many flavonoids were potent inhibitors of thermostable phenolsulfotransferase. Genistein and equol were potent mixed inhibitors of hepatic estrogen sulfotransferase, with inhibitory constant values of 500 nM and 400 nM, respectively. Monoamine phenolsulfotransferase activity was relatively unaffected by flavonoids, but this enzyme was mainly responsible for the sulfation of flavonoids at concentrations greater than 1 µM. Of the compounds tested, only daidzein 4,7-bisulfate, a trace metabolite in humans, significantly inhibited steroid sulfatase in the micromolar concentration range. Hence, dietary flavonoids may be able to influence the bioavailability of endogenous estrogens, and disrupt endocrine balance, by increasing the ratio of active estrogens to inactive estrogen sulfates in human tissues.

This work was supported by the Food Standards Agency (United Kingdom). P.J.H. is a Leukemia Research Fund Senior Fellow. D.M.W. and L.B. were the recipients of research studentships from the Medical Research Council (UK) and Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (UK), respectively.

Abbreviations: DMSO, Dimethylsulfoxide; E1, estrone; E1S, estrone sulfate; [3H]-E1S, [6,7-3H(N)]-estrone sulfate; E2, estradiol; Ki, inhibitory constant (active site); Ki, inhibitory constant (allosteric site); PAPS, adenosine 3'-phosphate 5'-phosphosulfate; SULT1A1, phenolsulfotransferase; SULT1A3, monoamine phenolsulfotransferase; SULT1E1, estrogen sulfotransferase.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, more great posting. Im glad you have the time to research and share this.

xtgear

xtgear

Awards
Quercetin, naringin inhibit sulfation of Resveratrol and are taken alongside to increase bioavailability. This study below provides one good reason to not interfere with the sulfation process:
so this means that products like post cycle support and 6-oxo xt that have quercetin on the ingredients, have the science all wrong?????

1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
so this means that products like post cycle support and 6-oxo xt that have quercetin on the ingredients, have the science all wrong?????
Thats a very good question!!

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
hmm...this is great info. I'm taking Stoked right now, and while I have only been taking it for about 6 days I feel a slightly better feeling of well-being, a little more energy throughout the day, and as of now a tiny kick in libido boost. I'm VERY MUCH looking forward to trying out Sustain Alpha.

This is a very interesting topic.....

UKStrength

Maybe we should be dosing the resveratrol and the above ingredients separately? e.g. resveratrol upon waking w/out food, then quercetin later?

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
I want reps from ai here answering to this...
maybe I`ll pm pembroke

UKStrength

I want reps from ai here answering to this...
maybe I`ll pm pembroke
Me too, Post Cycle Assist was going to be part of my PCT for E-stane, now I'm having second thoughts and might go the 'bulk powder' route.

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
hmm...this is great info. I'm taking Stoked right now, and while I have only been taking it for about 6 days I feel a slightly better feeling of well-being, a little more energy throughout the day, and as of now a tiny kick in libido boost. I'm VERY MUCH looking forward to trying out Sustain Alpha.

This is a very interesting topic.....
I've been doing something similar, 1-2 pills a day for general health/well-being for the past 3 months, but then I read about a few potential side-effects and there are two that standout that I have: Insomnia and achilles tendinitis. My sleep has been crap the past few months. I get 6 hours tops, wake up multiple times, etc AND the achillies tendon on my right leg has really ached, which I found to be quite strange. Well, I quit taking the Stoked 4 days ago, my sleep has been very good the past 2 nights and my leg feels better. I also noticed my left shoulder has felt better too.

I think there are very good health benefits for resveratrol but I think I'll take it once a week instead of daily.

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing something similar, 1-2 pills a day for general health/well-being for the past 3 months, but then I read about a few potential side-effects and there are two that standout that I have: Insomnia and achilles tendinitis. My sleep has been crap the past few months. I get 6 hours tops, wake up multiple times, etc AND the achillies tendon on my right leg has really ached, which I found to be quite strange. Well, I quit taking the Stoked 4 days ago, my sleep has been very good the past 2 nights and my leg feels better. I also noticed my left shoulder has felt better too.

I think there are very good health benefits for resveratrol but I think I'll take it once a week instead of daily.
first time I heard that resv is linked to tendinitis

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
I was surprised by this too but apparently Resveratrol causes tendonitis by chelating copper.

Here is one link I found: http://groups.google.com/group/sci.med.nutrition/browse_thread/thread/6a9f701e90f44c39/4a17becea53fc954?lnk=st&q=resveratrol

Drawbacks of supra-high doses

"Once mega-doses of resveratrol (more than 500 mg) began to be
employed, side effects like anemia, Achilles heel tendonitis, anxiety
reactions, numbness in the fingers, began to be reported," says Bill
Sardi, spokesperson for Longevinex (long-jev-in-ex), a leading brand
resveratrol dietary supplement. "This is probably because resveratrol
is a copper chelator and excessive chelation will impair the
availability of copper which is needed for collagen formation and
nerve regeneration," he says. "Resveratrol is relatively safe, but not
absolutely safe at any dosage. There are drawbacks," he adds.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established

I was surprised by this too but apparently Resveratrol causes tendonitis by chelating copper.

Here is one link I found: http://groups.google.com/group/sci.med.nutrition/browse_thread/thread/6a9f701e90f44c39/4a17becea53fc954?lnk=st&q=resveratrol

Wow. Very interesting. I have had some "slight" problems going to sleep since using Stoked. One night I took it at 10pm and sleep just wasn't happening that night. I think it took me until after 3am to finally hit the hay. I try to take it no later than 7pm...8pm at the ABSOLUTE latest b/c of this. I would take it earlier in the day but my first dose doesn't come until around 11am. Would like to keep it spread out throughout the day you know.

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established

well good info but thank God I have none of those problems

1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
The tendonitis is a very common reported side-effect over at imminst.org. I have no issues with insomnia or tendonitis at all.

You get quercetin from a lot of dietary sources, seems to be safe at lower quantities and in fact beneficial. The sulfation inhibition is something to look out for though.. It might interfere with a whole lot of substances you actually do want sulfinated ;)

E J

E J

Awards
  • Established
I don't know much about this medical stuff.

What I understand is that by the sulfanation and glucuronidation of Resveratrol it is taken directly into tissue and organs' cells primarily the ones that need it most (tissue or serum beta-glucuronidase enzyme with elevated activity), so since it is taken directly to the cells that is why plasma levels seem low, and not rally to do with bioavailability. Am I correct?

giantbrandon

Awards
  • Established

how much have you been taking, ive been doing 1mg a day for the last 2 months with no problems, but im also taking Orange triade that has cooper chelate in it, are you taking any to supplement it

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
The best ways to avoid the Resveratrol sides are: Use only 99% pure, micronized, low emodin content Trans-Resveratrol, Keep doses 500 mgs or under, take it on an empty stomach within 3 hours of awakening, take it straight, Take a day or 2 off from ingestion each week. Taking it once a week probably wont do much. Just my thoughts.

1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
I don't know much about this medical stuff.

What I understand is that by the sulfanation and glucuronidation of Resveratrol it is taken directly into tissue and organs' cells primarily the ones that need it most (tissue or serum beta-glucuronidase enzyme with elevated activity), so since it is taken directly to the cells that is why plasma levels seem low, and not rally to do with bioavailability. Am I correct?
That would indeed be correct (for the glucuronidation part) going on what is implied in the report of the Researchers at the Institute of Human Virology in the first post.

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
how much have you been taking, ive been doing 1mg a day for the last 2 months with no problems, but im also taking Orange triade that has cooper chelate in it, are you taking any to supplement it
I usually took it during the morning and the resveratrol I was taking was 50%. Dosage was 300-600mg. Regarding the sleep, I went on spring break with the family and stopped taking resveratrol during this time and I commented to my wife how well I slept and the bed really wasn't anything special. Since stopping this, my sleep has been very deep the past 4 nights, I'm not waking up at night at all. The tendonitis in my right achilles tendon also feels much better. I also haven't been taking any supplemental copper, but I may look into the Orange triade.

I think there are some very good benefits for resveratrol but I also think there are some sides we must be aware of. Good discussion we have going on here!

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
It does work best when taken within 3 hours of awakening. The joint problems seem to dissipate over a period of time. It also seems prudent and helpful to take "off" days. These factors seem to be the consensus of those that have taken it for long periods of time. Staying with the highest purity available, micronized, low emodin content products, can help mitigate any "sides".

xtgear

xtgear

Awards
so where tha fu** are the AI reps that appear in all threads promoting pcs and here, where they should be, zero????????????

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
There are more studies that need to be made. I think that Resveratrol by itself taken consistently is adequate without the need for co-factors other than liquid emulsion and even then as long as there is consistent ingestion of highest purity the desired effects can be acheived, whether quercetin is present or not. There is pro and con regarding quercetin and it may be a moot point as to absorbtion. Some people react negatively to quercetin.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
It has been stated elsewhere that the leading researchers take it straight and take it with co-factors, so unless and until someone gets it straight from one of these guys its a matter of personal experience. After trying a few brands I prefer the straight type combined with the liquid emulsion.

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
It has been stated elsewhere that the leading researchers take it straight and take it with co-factors, so unless and until someone gets it straight from one of these guys its a matter of personal experience. After trying a few brands I prefer the straight type combined with the liquid emulsion.
well no one speaks on the transdermal version, I wonder why?

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
There are only 2. The one I use is not straight, combined with the oral emulsified product it is super in my opinion. The TD Res. is thought to be useless, but I disagree, its JMO though.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Sustain plus a straight high purity oral is the way to go, in my opinion. Im sure others have used this dual absorbtion method, it just makes sense, to me anyway.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Sustain plus a straight high purity oral is the way to go, in my opinion. Im sure others have used this dual absorbtion method, it just makes sense, to me anyway.
I believe that is a good way to go as well. Where have you heard the TD Resveratrol was useless? I would think that as long as the TD carrier is of high quality that it would be absorbed, no? Also, I've tried looking to no avail, have you heard anything about Res and insomnia? Myself and another posting in this thread have had some sleep issues since starting use of t-Res. Given, I take mine later at night (schedule issues...at least for now), which would probably be different than when most people take it.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I believe that is a good way to go as well. Where have you heard the TD Resveratrol was useless? I would think that as long as the TD carrier is of high quality that it would be absorbed, no? Also, I've tried looking to no avail, have you heard anything about Res and insomnia? Myself and another posting in this thread have had some sleep issues since starting use of t-Res. Given, I take mine later at night (schedule issues...at least for now), which would probably be different than when most people take it.
It is thought that the molecular weight of Res. doesnt lend itself to TD absorbtion, but the market is dominated by a few companies, check otu Imminst resveratrol forum for more. Regarding insomnia, yes I have had the same problem with the oral, its best to take it in the mornings others have reported the same.

1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
There's a whole thread on the imminst.org forum as to why Resveratrol TD will not supply you with the needed plasma levels to activate sirt1, but there's also nobody who has actually measured Resveratrol plasmalevels after transdermal application, so who knows :)

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Thats true, and no one is interested in TD for that matter. Its all right, I like the fact that Sustain is "Elite" it makes it "Oh, so elegant!" lol all the more for weight lifters and meat heads. There is some great information at Imminst though, it is not a bodybuilder or weight lifting site and some of the posters are from Europe.

1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
Thats true, and no one is interested in TD for that matter. Its all right, I like the fact that Sustain is "Elite" it makes it "Oh, so elegant!" lol all the more for weight lifters and meat heads. There is some great information at Imminst though, it is not a bodybuilder or weight lifting site and some of the posters are from Europe.
Yeah totally agree, I love that forum, a wealth of information there. I also like mindandmusle.net for yet another kind of view.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Differing points of view, compare and contrast, its a great way to fine tune, particularly about Resveratrol its damn interesting. This "bioavailability" thing could be a marketing ploy like so many other products. The way Im using it and the types Im using pretty much assures Im getting high levels of it, high enough that I think its wise to take a couple days off a week. What do you think about that?

1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
Differing points of view, compare and contrast, its a great way to fine tune, particularly about Resveratrol its damn interesting. This "bioavailability" thing could be a marketing ploy like so many other products. The way Im using it and the types Im using pretty much assures Im getting high levels of it, high enough that I think its wise to take a couple days off a week. What do you think about that?
Going on taking it purely for sirt1 activation, I will actually not take any supplements during my fasts since fasting activates sirt1. Resveratrol I would take while not fasting to mimic my fasted state. But I dont do too many fasts atm since my current life doesnt allow many so right now I'm taking it ED. My father (63) is taking resveratrol 5 days a week. He's combining IBE's Reverse and Sutain Alfa, he's been on it for almost a year now I think. I'm gonna ask him to try a bulk oral form to see if he notices differences. Resveratrol is doing great things for him btw, enough to have made me a believer to start taking it at 35 ;)

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I have been fasting too, Resveratrol ingestion seems to lend itself to that, it suppreses appetite somewhat, nothing major just a day every now and then with water and juice for fluids, it does create a hormonal type of feeling. Perhaps thats the SIRT1 kicking in, if it is possible to feel it. I think that these holocaust survivors, incarcerated in near starving conditions had Sirt1 kick in big time. I know of one that is going on to 103 years of age.

1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
Ah yes, I've been working on implementing an intermittent fasting type of fasts, fast for 16-20 hours at a time. I can integrate that much easier into my life and it helps restricting my calorie intake. Its easier for me to fast then eat multiple small meals. Also intermittent fasting has a much lower impact on my sport performance then CR.

My father's results from a year of Resveratrol use have been profound. His mental abilities have improved, he can concentrate better, he claims his hearing and sight have improved, stamina is up, performance in bed has improved, I refused to hear him go into detail on that part though lol.. And his gray hair is getting some colour back in. According to him PP SA and IBE Reverse are somewhat equal in effect. Interstingly enough he's even picked up running for the first time in his life a few months ago. As a distant observer I would say thing in his life are moving in a positive direction. Next to Resv he's supplementing with PP's toco-8 and Vitaberry. I dont know how much weight those put into the scale.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Okay I see... It could be why soya (soy) protein was accused of reducing test levels.

Estrogens play an important role in the brain but no one is quite sure what. Interfering with hormonal balance - you guys do that all the time :)

Think I'll have to increase my preg. supplement intake... In other words there are side-effects in trying to alter the bio-availability of tresV but you might get over these just by increasing the amount of estrogens in the system. .. Its just an idea

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
*bump*

Its too big a question to disappear. What would p-slin do? Well nothing actually because the liver will chew resV long before then...

Will PP give us some plasma levels for sustain alpha?

1HP

1HP

Awards
  • Established
*bump*

Its too big a question to disappear. What would p-slin do? Well nothing actually because the liver will chew resV long before then...

Will PP give us some plasma levels for sustain alpha?
p-slin? you mean sustain alfa?

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I think the bioavailability of the RSV in SA is greater than estimated by some experts, indeed the BA of quality oral supplementation may be more adequate than supposed. I dont beleive there has been much documented testing regarding this.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
SA - I presume is sustain alpha. It must be because these guys are coming off prohormone cycles and picking up Sustain Alpha as the post-cycle. Thats how PP are marketing it. SA is doing the AI, hormone normalizing, stabilizing estrogen rebound. If there was something really wrong here it would have been picked up. It appears such a respected product in PCT that its got to be working. You don't hear guys talking about Stoked in the same breath as SA. In theory Stoked should be more bio-available.

The thing that puzzles me is that if it is working why can't we just make our own TD?

What is missing is the hard science of plasma levels.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
What about AXs Trisorbagen? It'll get it through the stomach, thing is the liver will then crunch it to pieces.

Hey silly idea what about going TD Trisorbagen and resV?!

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
SA - I presume is sustain alpha. It must be because these guys are coming off prohormone cycles and picking up Sustain Alpha as the post-cycle. Thats how PP are marketing it. SA is doing the AI, hormone normalizing, stabilizing estrogen rebound. If there was something really wrong here it would have been picked up. It appears such a respected product in PCT that its got to be working. You don't hear guys talking about Stoked in the same breath as SA. In theory Stoked should be more bio-available.

The thing that puzzles me is that if it is working why can't we just make our own TD?

What is missing is the hard science of plasma levels.
Yah thats the product, its good and adding an oral dose of RSV improves it.Theres more to making a RSV TD than can be homebrewed, the molecule doesnt lend itself well to that, from what Ive read anyway,I think TD has distinct advantages. One of them being easy on the GI tract.

UKStrength

Yah thats the product, its good and adding an oral dose of RSV improves it.Theres more to making a RSV TD than can be homebrewed, the molecule doesnt lend itself well to that, from what Ive read anyway,I think TD has distinct advantages. One of them being easy on the GI tract.
:goodpost: so a combo of oral and TD RSV is probably the way to go e.g. sustain alpha and stoked together.