TTA and Blood Pressure

SFRANGER

SFRANGER

Awards
I am not a scientist...but this article appears to say that TTA may have some blood pressure lowering effect, at least on rats in certain circumstances:

PubMed Citation
Articles by Bivol, L. M.
Articles by Iversen, B. M.

Submitted on March 27, 2007
Accepted on June 15, 2007

Differential effect of tetradecythioacetic acid (TTA) on the renin-angiotensin system and blood pressure in SHR and 2-kidney, 1-clip hypertension
Liliana Monica Bivol1*, Rolf Kristian Berge1, and Bjarne Magnus Iversen1
1 Institute of Medicine, University of Bergen, Bergen, Norway

* To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail: [email protected].

The tetradecythioacetic acid (TTA) is a modified fatty acid known to exhibit pleiotropic effects. Firstly, we compared the effect of TTA on the blood pressure in spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHR) with two-kidney, one-clip(2K1C) hypertensive rats. Secondly, we examined mechanisms involved in the blood pressure reduction. TTA had minor effect on systolic blood pressure (SPB) in young SHR up to 8 weeks of age. In 2K1C we confirmed the blood pressure lowering effect of TTA (SPB:173±4 before vs.138±3 mmHg after TTA, p<0.001). No effect on SPB was seen in WKY controls. Plasma renin activity (PRA) was low in SHR and WKY controls and TTA did not change it. PRA decreased from 22.9 ±1.3 ng.ml-1.h-1 to 16.2±2.2 ng.ml-1.h-1 (p=0.02) in 2K1C Plasma ANG II concentration declined from 101 ± 3 fmole.ml-1 to 81±5 fmole.ml-1 after TTA treatment (p=0.005). In the clipped kidney, tissue ANG I concentration decreased from 933 ±68 fmole.g-1 tissue to 518±60 fmole.g-1 tissue (p=0.001), and ANG II decreased from 527±38 fmole.g-1 tissue to 149±21 fmole.g-1 tissue (p<0.001) after TTA treatment. In the non-clipped kidney, TTA did not change ANG I and moderastely reduced ANG II levels. The RBF response to injection of ANG II into the non-clipped kidney was blunted compared to controls and normalized with TTA treatment (10±2 % before vs. 20±2 %, p<0.001).The results indicate that TTA downregulate the renin-angiotensin system in high renin animals, but has no effect in low renin models