USPlabs Prime + Heart patient?

Cardiac710

Awards
Looking for a bit of information on this USPlabs Prime product I picked up at the local GNC. I'm a cardiac patient who had surgery as a infant. I'm not really given any restrictions when it comes to activities and being a scrawny heart patient growing up I have turned to weight lifting as a way to help me feel "normal". The background- I work out about 5 days a week for about 2 hours a day. I take protein shakes pre and post work out, Kre-Aklyn pre and post work out as well as trying to eat a healthy diet although I don't eat quite as much as I should. The salesman at GNC said USPlabs Prime gives great results as I'm trying to build a little more mass while also trying to get a bit more definition in the abs. I can't really find the ingredient list to cross check drug reactions with the medicines I'm currently on. I was wondering if anyone could help shed some light on this and help me figure out if this is something I can take without danger or something I should return to the store and try to find a better suited product for me.
The medications I'm currently on are
Digoxin 0.25mg
Warfarin 5.0mg daily with ideal INR (2.5 - 3.0)
and sotalol 40mg twice daily

Any information would be greatly appreciated as well as any suggestions on supplements I could safely take that would help me reach my goal. Thanks in advance for reading and giving any help possible.

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
Dude,

I think that you should stick to protein and creatine.

For energy, you can do CoQ10 (supposedly good for the heart as reported in various studies). You can also do fish oil or flax seed oil (look up the effects).

Many people here may dissagree, but the stuff in most supplements is not well tested for side effects, and if you are on meds and/or have serious health issues, you should steer clear.

I am sure that this is not what you want to hear, but on the positive side, the stuff listed above is safe and also happens to be the absolutely most effective supplements around.

Also, I think you may want to research your workout routine - you don't grow in the gym! It looks like you need some time off to recover, but that is without me knowing what you do for two hours, five days per week! If you do one hour at each session and split up body parts, it should be ok to hit it 5x per week. You can't build mass if you are constantly breaking down muscle fiber!

R

Cardiac710

Awards
Thanks for the heads up. I'll take this product back and pick up some flaxseed oil. After reading up on the 3 items you listed that sounds to be the best one. Also you called me out on the recovery. I really need to figure out a routine rather then working almost every body part every day. Thank you again.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Unfortunately Cardiac, there are probably no major contraindications between the ingredients in PRIME [Tribulus Aquaticus and Terminalia Chebula], as that data has most likely not been illuminated to-date. While I do not suspect any major contraindications either, I would caution against using PRIME with major pharmaceuticals, unless it is under the strict supervision of your GP/attendant cardiologist.

MPFit

MPFit

Awards
  • Established
warfarin.. I assume you have a stent or a valve replacement..
If you tolerate exercise then I wouldn't see any real contraindications either.. It's not a steroid which leads to stenosis, but I would agree that some nice fish oils will be great for you.
Unfortunately, I'd reccomend you stick to the normal supps just because I'm pretty sure there's no real study on the pharm drugs your taking and these herbal supps. (although as I said, I sincerely DOUBT anything bad can come from it)

Cardiac710

Awards
After more study seems I can't take the flaxseed oil either as it can cause further thining of the blood. As far as the stent/valve thing I'm not sure I try to know as little about it as possible as it just causes anxiety. I know I had D transposition of the greater vessels, Blaylock Shunt, and a fontan procedure. I also sometimes get Atrial Flutter which is why I'm on warfarin and sotalol. But I have a fine tolerance for exercise. Would fish oil interfere with my INR like flaxseed oil or testosterone boosters. Also I heard it gives you nasty fish flavored burps. Don't know if thats truth or just myth though.

MPFit

MPFit

Awards
  • Established
Well it's in fish, so it's somewhat like using a multivitamin if you eat alot of fish..
Not sure if it has any effect on INR sorry, both Blalock and Fontans can have prosthetic's as part of the procedure. Transposition is a pretty severe operation, I don't want to recommend anything that would tamper with your health: Ask your cardiologist if it's okay to take the oils before you decide to.. Either way man goodluck- a friend of mine had transposition of the great vessels- he's 23 and pretty big: But I couldn't tell you if he takes any supps or not.

sleeptight

Awards
If anything, omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil would have a synergistic effect with the warfarin you're taking. They inhibit thromboxane A2 production, which causes blood platelets to form clots.

Fish oil is "heart healthy," in that it decreases inflammation via arachadonic acid inhibition (stabilizes arterial plaques) and inhibits platelet thrombosis (thins the blood, like aspirin), not to mention its numerous other benefits.

sleeptight

Awards
Regarding your question about INR, whether fish oil affects INR in the setting of concomittant warfarin use is controversial. A 1995 study out of Norway concluded that taking fish oil would NOT increase bleeding tendency in patients taking warfarin, but there have been some case reports of patients' INR increasing with high fish oil usage.

The safest thing to do would be to communicate with your cardiologist and closely monitor your INR levels while taking the stuff.

NB: As someone on sotalol and dig, you should stay away from any CNS stimulants, e.g. caffeine, ephedrine, phenylephrine, etc.

Good luck.

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
"Fish Burps" are real, for me at least, and they taste bad.
Try an enteric coated type fish oil supplement worked out well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 1
bswanny Supplement Auction 3
Supplement Auction 4
Prevatte Supplements 2
Sprinterguy4 Supplement Auction 3