Leucine and the 4:1:1 ratio

ws65

ws65

Awards
  • Established
I see that there is a new thought process on bcaa supplementation with having a 4:1:1 ratio between Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine. So I went and got some Axcell...I don't like the taste that much so I won't be using it when I'm done with this tub. I liked IntraAid a lot, but its a little pricey (as is the Axcell!). I hear great things about the taste of Purple Wrath and it has a very similar profile to IntraAid (IntraAid has more bcaa's in their mix from the numbers listed compared to PW).

I would like to try the PW next but try to get to the 4:1:1 ratio...since PW and IntraAid have the proprietary blend going on, my question is, how much leucine would I have to add to get the 4:1:1 ratio (to your best guess...or a controlled labs rep might be able to give me a ballpark figure maybe)?

I would also add a little waxy maize and a little more potasium to my mix as well.

Your help is appreciated.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I see that there is a new thought process on bcaa supplementation with having a 4:1:1 ratio between Leucine, Isoleucine, and Valine. So I went and got some Axcell...I don't like the taste that much so I won't be using it when I'm done with this tub. I liked IntraAid a lot, but its a little pricey (as is the Axcell!). I hear great things about the taste of Purple Wrath and it has a very similar profile to IntraAid (IntraAid has more bcaa's in their mix from the numbers listed compared to PW).

I would like to try the PW next but try to get to the 4:1:1 ratio...since PW and IntraAid have the proprietary blend going on, my question is, how much leucine would I have to add to get the 4:1:1 ratio (to your best guess...or a controlled labs rep might be able to give me a ballpark figure maybe)?

I would also add a little waxy maize and a little more potasium to my mix as well.

"Normally," BCAA's are arranged as 2g Leucine, 1 gram Iso-Leucine, 1 gram Valine. I believe this is a pretty generic standard across the board. Assuming PW is following this same standard in their 7,000mg of EAA Complex, then you would just need to add 2 grams of Leucine to get the 4:1:1 you want.

BAM! http://store.anabolicminds.com/product/nutraplanet/l-leucine-100-grams.html

BAM!! http://store.anabolicminds.com/product/nutraplanet/l-leucine-500-grams.html

BAM!!! http://store.anabolicminds.com/product/nutraplanet/l-leucine-1-kilo.html

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established

There is no magic ratio for BCAA supplementation. In fact -- there are plenty of studies showing an increased anabolic effect with Leucine alone.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There is no magic ratio for BCAA supplementation. In fact -- there are plenty of studies showing an increased anabolic effect with Leucine alone.
But do you believe it is important to hit the other 2 - in any ratio at all - while supplementing leucine?

Anecdotal feedback here, I notice more "effect" when valine and isoleucine are added in (for instance, bolstering xtend with extra leucine) than leucine alone - even with the citrulline malate.

sethroberts

sethroberts

Awards
  • Established
But do you believe it is important to hit the other 2 - in any ratio at all - while supplementing leucine?

Anecdotal feedback here, I notice more "effect" when valine and isoleucine are added in (for instance, bolstering xtend with extra leucine) than leucine alone - even with the citrulline malate.
I don't believe it is necessary but it doesn't hurt. I personally only hit the leucine post workout and get my iso and valine in whole foods or AA/protein supps at other times.

IvyLeaguePump

IvyLeaguePump

Awards
I only take leucine, but I take about 3 grams of it roughly 90 minutes pre-workout.

Although, I get other BCAA's from whey shakes, food, etc.