Supplements for/during football season

cbcowan13

cbcowan13

Awards
Me and my friend are wondering what are some good NCAA football legal supplements for football season. We are trying to gain weight, strength, endurance, and stamina. We just wanna make sure that if we get tested we dont get screwed by NCAA We are basically open to take anything. thanks ahead of time to all the people that reply to this thread

babywifey

babywifey

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
BCAAs are a great one to help you maintain and gain muscle during all the practice and games you will have.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Stay away from the pro-hormones and you should be fine. Pick a pre-workout supp, an intra-workout supp and some protein and carbs for post workout and you'll be fine.

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
Perfects supps for a football player would probably be aminos/beta alanine/whey.
I really don't know what else you'd need.

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
I was kinda of wondering how to time things mostly during games. Nettle Root, beta alanine, geranum extract?

joelast

joelast

Awards
I think a weight gainer/ meal-replacement is a must for in-season or if your doing alot of intense training in teh offseason. It's an easy way to get in extra cal's, and give your body the fuel it needs to recover from your workouts.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
which weight gainer/meal replacement?
IMO to avoid the high sugar and/or fat content of Gainers it is best to make your own. Its not quite as convenient as just scooping it out but it will have better macro breakdown and be healthier.

Ingredients:

Use whey/casien powder
Oats
Fruit (banana, blueberry, strawberry etc)
Peanut butter (almond butter), Flaxseeds
Milk, cottage cheese (can't taste it promise)

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Also could look into things like Blue Gene and Anabolic Edge which are made for more athletic type training. Id look into MSTs products too like CreO2 and Cordygen line that could give you a big boost on the field. Purple Wraath helped boost my endurance when doing some running and lifting this summer when sometimes Id train in some shape or form 2-3 times per day. If you are in a hot climate or sweating a lot Posiedon works wonders to help keep hydration levels up and would basically eliminate cramping.

Other stuff like BCAA, Beta Alanine, Creatine will do the trick.

cbcowan13

cbcowan13

Awards
u think cre02 and poseidon will be good enough to hel my endurance and stamina a lot?

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
CreO2 has a lot if great feedback for endurance athleticism. Purple Wraath or some BCAA have tons of studies backing their use in athletes.

ecupirate

Awards
I've heard that football players need atleat 4000 cals just to maintain. So def pick some weight gainer and or meal replacement

poptopop77

Awards
take a look at cordygen5 and cordygen vo2 ultra... they are by far the best products i've used for endurance when it comes to running and sprints. You will notice a difference after your first dose.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've heard that football players need atleat 4000 cals just to maintain. So def pick some weight gainer and or meal replacement
Honestly this is not very good advice. Having worked with athletes and a degree in nutrition calories are really variable especially for athletes. Football players tend to overconsume calories and not use good macro proportions as the mentality to is "Eat big to get big" which is true if you want fat weight. The types of foods you consume can really be more important than the actual calorie amount. Just saying oh you play football eat 4000+ calories is not a good statement to make.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
I play college ball too bro. d-3. I take lots of protein and then creatine mono, citruline malate, beta alanine before and after workouts. Also arginine before and in the morning. I do consume exactly 4,000 calories everyday about 45,35,20 carbs to protein to fat. Im bout to start a thread after spring ball is over for the summer.....

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I play college ball too bro. d-3. I take lots of protein and then creatine mono, citruline malate, beta alanine before and after workouts. Also arginine before and in the morning. I do consume exactly 4,000 calories everyday about 45,35,20 carbs to protein to fat. Im bout to start a thread after spring ball is over for the summer.....
You are one of the few football players I've encountered that actually has a decent supp regimen. I've been trying to get my little brother to do something very similar (he's just coming into high-school ball from Jr. High) but the dude doesn't seem to think his nutrition or supplementation has any real impact on his performance> :frustrate:

Also - do you use Xtend during games? I found that fast carbs + Xtend was amazing for endurance in that regard...

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
thanks man....ive been hurt about a million times and finally realize how important nutrition is to ball and staying healthy and athletic.

I just learned of xtend about 3 months ago so no...My supps during camp and season will prob just consist of osteo sport, whey, multi, waxy maize, gatorade and some BCAA's of some sort. I dont wana be putting all that stuff in my body during season.

Im running a summer log starting next weekend following rehab of my hammy at PT and lifting and getting ready for ball. I will include all my lifts and food and supps. Maybe it could be of some help to ure bro

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey Pavb10, what do you mean you dont want all that stuff in your body during the season? Something particular? Somethings mentioned would be bomb during the season on the field. Xtend (BCAAs) at a high dose would also help you hold on to strength and size durign the long season.

Sucks about your hamstring though, be careful as hell with that as once you pull a hamstring its super easy to redo it. Im betting you got some good PT though. I wrote a large research paper on hamstring injuries and how best to deal with them. I may have to take a look at it again. Not sure if you are interested in that kind of thing :) Also have a powerpoint on studies for BCAAs in sports haha

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
my bad for not clarifying.....I meant not taking creatine, beta alanine and citruline. During season= bcaa's, carbs, some kind of NO boosters and basic stuff. Out of season im gain for anything.

The hamstring is worse than any other injury on the planet. I broke my jaw got a hernia and broke my hand in three months yet id do it again ten times to avoid a pulled hamstring. Last year i tore my hammy in decemeber and didnt run again til july. I got PT in may and graston on it to get rid of adhessions and it felt great in the season. Midway through this season at the end of a cold practice pop goes my other hamstring up by the pelvis. This is still bothering me now bad and hurting in spring ball and keeping me from sprinting. Im getting graston again next friday and hopefully that will start to get the crap out.

I feel that the more flexible you are the longer it takes for a hammy to heal. Im super flexible and yet see guys who cant touch there toes recover from a hammy injury in 2 weeks. I havent squated in two years, but really wana get the legs back this summer and finally clean 300.....cant wait for my log and school to be over!!!

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
the only reason i say that about creatine and the other stuff is because after a long prac my piss is about brown. I dont want all them solutes in me if im that dehydrated.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hmmmm brown you say? I hope not that's not a good sign lol I know how it goes but make those ATCs squirt you water every chance you get. Also make sure to get some sodium in you Pre and post thats the main problem that needs to be avoided. You may want to see if you can pick up some Poseidon to try out in that scenario.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
I use an NO/caffeine product just so i get through my lifts, ussually just vasocharge. I do the same thing in late summer when im running hard three to four days a week and still lifting.

Lol, not necessarlly brown, but some super concentarted stuff. Yeah staying hydrated is rough. All you wana do after prac is drink a gallon or two of gatorade and not eat. I basically did that my freshman year and drank my lucnh everyday. terrible thing....lost mad weight.