Allergy relief?

vladimirb68

Awards
Looking for something for my GF to take. She has pretty serious seasonal allergy, primarily triggered by red cedar tree. She tried several medications, including Zyzal (caused swelling and discomfort in the joints), Zyrtec (sleepiness), and Benadryl (drowsiness). She has seen several doctors but the medications all have serious side effects for her. allergy shots have not taken care of the problem either.
Is there anything you can recommend that she can try? Would an immune boosting supps help or make the allergic response worse?
Thanks!

joebo

joebo

Awards
  • Established
You can try 500-1000mg of Quercetin a day. It def helps me... Pick it up at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe. Its the only thing I buy from either one.

Dath

Awards
I've tried vitamin c, quercetin, MSM, etc and none of them did a damn thing for my allergies. The only thing I found that actually works is oregano oil. Have her take 2 or 3 capsules of oregano oil a day. Oregano oil is a natural antihistamine and decongestant.

steam

steam

Awards
  • Established
oregano oil?...ok lemme see if i can find that...i get allergies too...NOTHING fawking helps on certain days...been to doc...useless saps, wasted my money.

Dath

Awards
I'm currently using Nature's Way Oregano Oil. 60 capsules for $7.56 from Vitacost. I'm using 2 caps a day.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I've spoken with a holistic doctor about this topic, she's actually doing a seminar at my place of business this weekend. She was saying that her cocktail against allergies is:

Selenium - as Selenomethionine (~50-100mcg)
Vitamin E - as a full spectrum (4 tocopherols, 4 tocotrienols) (I forget the dosage)
Vitamin C - She recommended buffered C for the higher doses (~10g/day)

woolbeo

Awards
I have absolutely horrible seasonal allergies. I'm talking about sneezing 10-20 times, then a minute or two break, and the cycle would repeat. I could control it with a combination of benadryl, zyrtec, clariton, psudephedrine-hcl, and chlorotimatron, all at tripple the recomended dosages. I was stoned out of my mind. The only medicine, herb, or hollistic medicine that has worked for me for the last few years has been Singulair, it is expensive, but it works, and I have insurance, so it is only $1/pill, instead of $4/pill. Once it stops working as well, I take it with grapefruit juice, or DHB.

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
Oddly enough my allergies are pretty bad come spring... excessive sneezing... wanting to rip my own nose off... my girl hates being around me cuase i get irritable as all hell... anyways

my doc gave me allergy meds... didnt work.... i tried my girls zyrtec... didnt work.... oddly enough what works perfect for me is some generic crap from walmart...

Its Equate 24 Hour Allergy Relief, and it has 10mg of Loratadine in it.... and whats nice about it is if i take it for like a week (1 a day) and then miss a few days it usually takes 2-3 days for my allergies to reappear... and its super cost effective like $8 for 60 tabs

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
oregano oil?...ok lemme see if i can find that...i get allergies too...NOTHING fawking helps on certain days...been to doc...useless saps, wasted my money.
The perscribed sinus sprays are the best thing out there. Flonase or something that sounds like that. Nasonex is good too i hear.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Oddly enough my allergies are pretty bad come spring... excessive sneezing... wanting to rip my own nose off... my girl hates being around me cuase i get irritable as all hell... anyways

my doc gave me allergy meds... didnt work.... i tried my girls zyrtec... didnt work.... oddly enough what works perfect for me is some generic crap from walmart...

Its Equate 24 Hour Allergy Relief, and it has 10mg of Loratadine in it.... and whats nice about it is if i take it for like a week (1 a day) and then miss a few days it usually takes 2-3 days for my allergies to reappear... and its super cost effective like $8 for 60 tabs
ya brotha! I was gonna say the same thing:

1 equate pseudoephrine first thing in the morning
1 equate loratadine mid day
2 equate benedryls before bed

timing is key cause the pseudo is a jittery lousy stim
loratadine has no effect in terms of alertness or drowsiness
and benedryl will help you sleep and you can take 2 more if you wake up in 4 hours.

don't expect much help from allergy shots or persciption nasals sprays. In my experience, only medrol dose packs and depomedrol shots work when I get desperate. Neither works imediately but kick in after a few days.

It helps if you have you allergy doc on your side, even if his tactics aren't initially working. Once he realizes how miserable you are, what works and what doesn't, he'll be an asset for problem solving during those miserable times.

EMERGENCY: DO NOT TAKE AFRIN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE! You will become an afrin junky within 1-2 days. No joke, it shouldn't be available to the public IMO. I've been trying to kick it for a good 2-3 years and it's worse than the actual allergies!

adrenaline24

Awards
i'm on the nonstop nasal spray and pseudoephedrine 12hr tablet regimen. nothing else seems to work.. that oregano oil sounds interesting though, does it make a difference whether its pill or liquid form?

Dath

Awards
i'm on the nonstop nasal spray and pseudoephedrine 12hr tablet regimen. nothing else seems to work.. that oregano oil sounds interesting though, does it make a difference whether its pill or liquid form?
Doesn't matter but taking the capsules is much easier because the liquid can get very hot in the mouth. The liquid is actually very good for tooth infections. Just put a few drops at the base of the infected tooth/gum and let it sit there for a minute. When it gets too hot to stand, take a few swigs of water to wash it down. Oregano Oil is a good natural antibiotic so you get the benefit of it helping with allergies plus killing nasty germs/bacteria/etc...

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Pick up a neti pot. Use it daily or every other day. That will help out a lot. I don't know if anyones ever noticed but the salt water does wonders.. Go to the beach swim in the ocean for awhile and your nose starts dripping and it cleans out your nasal passages. The neti is the same idea. Your putting salt water up your nose. It will relieve headaches fast. I'm on allergy shots 2x a week and get no relief from anything. I lost many many months of sleep over allergies last year and I'm only a little better this year. Allergies are no joke. They have taking over my life and reduced the quality of it. If your a allergy sufferer do not move to florida. I made this mistake 3 years ago and my allergies have gotten worse every year.

Regular quercitin will NOT work. It is not stable in water. Do not waste your money. Quercitin chalcone is supposed to be soluble in water. I do notice a difference with this stuff. The only decent product I have found is here. Nothing else gives me relief except regular netti use and the beach.

http://www.vitacost.com/FoodScience-of-Vermont-Aller-DMG

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Think the netti pot would help for congestion only? That's my only symptom.

I do use alkalol in a spray mist bottle. That clear my sinuses, but only for about 30 seconds to 1 minute before if congests again. Do you feel the salt water w/ netti might work better?

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
Raw unpasteurized honey, preferably from a local source.
It's not an instant fix, and I've read it takes approx 3 months prior to the allergy season to work optimally - but I haven't taken an anti-allergy pill in over 4 years since I've started eating raw honey.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Think the netti pot would help for congestion only? That's my only symptom.

I do use alkalol in a spray mist bottle. That clear my sinuses, but only for about 30 seconds to 1 minute before if congests again. Do you feel the salt water w/ netti might work better?
Yea definitely to both questions. Use iodine free or sea salt only.