beta alanine supplementation

mrlargecalves

Awards
  • Established
ive recently ordered some beta alanine after reading the benefits of it the last couple weeks. a few questions i had (i searched for these answers with no luck) were:
1) does it adversely work with taurine?
2) is it more beneficial to take it pre or post workout? why?
3) how soon before i can notice its effects? and does it need to be cycled?

Thanks!

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
1) Shouldn't interfere w/ Taurine
2) I prefer 2g pre and 2g intra, some do 2g pre and post. I like to have it in me during my workout to get some of the effects that way.
3) User dependent, it takes time to build up your carnosine levels. I would say 1-2 weeks. I don't plan on cycling mine, but I usually take 2 or 3 weeks of, say at Christmas, summer etc.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1) Shouldn't interfere w/ Taurine
2) I prefer 2g pre and 2g intra, some do 2g pre and post. I like to have it in me during my workout to get some of the effects that way.
3) User dependent, it takes time to build up your carnosine levels. I would say 1-2 weeks. I don't plan on cycling mine, but I usually take 2 or 3 weeks of, say at Christmas, summer etc.

^^^I agree. It takes me a little longer to see effects tho, usually around 3-4 weeks. I take it for 12-16 weeks then 4-8 weeks off.

mrlargecalves

Awards
  • Established
interesting... did it make a difference for u guys adding it to ur staples

mrlargecalves

Awards
  • Established
btw my current staples are.... bcaa, leucine, dicreatine(cycled), waxy maize, whey... these together have given me constant progress even thru cutting

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
interesting... did it make a difference for u guys adding it to ur staples
Ya this is one of the supplements I will continue to use. Very effective stuff!

bmw8591

Awards
  • Established
Is it necessary to take it on off days to keep your carnosine levels up?

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
I started by using 6-8 grams in divided doses . Pre workout being one of them but not post w/o. I seemed to get better results using it on an empty stomach. It's easy to have 2 gram doses between meals.

One thing i noticed that hasn't been mentioned much before was extra muscle fullness and vascularity.

I tried cutting back to taking it pre workout only and definitely noticed the effects dropping off.

I always test my lactic acid threshold with leg extensions as they burn.....a lot, and i do get a few more reps in before the pain becomes unbearable.

Beta Alanine is a staple for me now.

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
MN's Peak Beta is a good product. I have had better luck with that noticing affects.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
^^^I agree. It takes me a little longer to see effects tho, usually around 3-4 weeks....
Yep! With daily beta-alanine consumption, carnosine stores take about four weeks to saturate.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think so; it may be a placebo effect, but I think it helps when I set the weight down after 7 reps, take a 10s quick recovery, and get in the final 2-3 reps.
Well said, Steveoph! It is not placebo. Beta-alanine is quite a versatile compound that is involved in many metabolic processes, including phosphocreatine-synthesis/ATP-resynthesis, cardiovascular function, nitric-oxide metabolism, cellular repair and recovery, and so on. Some experts even regard it as the next-generation creatine! :D

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Well said, Steveoph! It is not placebo. Beta-alanine is quite a versatile compound that is involved in many metabolic processes, including phosphocreatine-synthesis/ATP-resynthesis, cardiovascular function, nitric-oxide metabolism, cellular repair and recovery, and so on. Some experts even regard it as the next-generation creatine! :D
I liked Creatine but results varied for me each time i used it. Mono was definitely the best but i didn't like the water i held. Pumps were great, muscle fullness was good as long as i drank a lot of water and strength always went up to some degree.

Beta Alanine at 2 grams a day on an empty stomach,every day, pre workout and between meals is much better IMO. All the processes you describe are what i've experienced since dosing like this.

I've only used the NutraPlanet version so i can't compare to other brands but i stick with what works.

With results i've seen i'd 100% agree with your "Some experts even regard it as the next-generation creatine" statement. I'd say it was better.......in many ways!!!

purebred

Some experts even regard it as the next-generation creatine! :D
With results i've seen i'd 100% agree with your "Some experts even regard it as the next-generation creatine" statement. I'd say it was better.......in many ways!!!
judging from recent research, the above may have been a possibility in the beginning introduction phases of BA but it studies seem to show combining BA+CM produce more desirable results as opposed to supplementing one or the other alone!

I'm currently in the midst of getting myself together to get back into lifting and I decided I'm going to be implementing BA+CM for the added benefits. based on the research, it seems like a good idea for me to start out with 4g BA/d and 5g CM/d. with regards to BA, it seems more isn't always better as it's believed 4-5 grams can produce the same results as higher dosages (6g or higher). this is just the information I've come across, however...

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
For the 4-5g of BA, you're just trying to saturate your intramuscular Carnitine levels. Once you've reach the limit, more dosing won't increase the carnitine levels and you can maintain the level with 4g (probably even less will do it)

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
judging from recent research, the above may have been a possibility in the beginning introduction phases of BA but it studies seem to show combining BA+CM produce more desirable results as opposed to supplementing one or the other alone!

I'm currently in the midst of getting myself together to get back into lifting and I decided I'm goign to be implementing BA+CM for ther added benefits. based on the research, it seems like a good idea for me to atart out with 4g BA/d and 5g CM/d. with regards to BA, it seems more isn't always better as it's believed 4-5 grams can produce the same results as higher dosages (6g or higher). this is just the information I've come across, however...
I did not imply creatine monohydrate and beta-alanine were substitutes. I am not sure what you mean by "CM", presumably creatine monohydrate. The more effective combination, however, is creatine (monohydrate or another form of creatine for monohydrate negative responders), beta alanine, and citrulline malate.

purebred

I did not imply creatine monohydrate and beta-alanine were substitutes. I am not sure what you mean by "CM", presumably creatine monohydrate. The more effective combination, however, is creatine (monohydrate or another form of creatine for monohydrate negative responders), beta alanine, and citrulline malate.
well, i was responding to the part of your post in which you stated: "Some experts even regard it as the next-generation creatine!" what you meant by it or what not wasn't my response's focal point.

you'd be absolutely correct in stating CM and BA are not substitutes for one another and work better when taken in conjunction with one another (yes, i was referring to monohydrate when mentioning "CM"). citrulline malate, however, was highly suggested to me at one point during the time in which i was involved in boxing training and judging from your suggested combination, it seems citrulline malate is something work looking into. i'll highly consider it after I've completed my BA+CM cycle and taken a short break from the two. :) thanks for mentioning bro!