Too much Phenylalanine??

B

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
What's up guys. Over time I've read in many different places that Phenylalanine is not good for you. Soon I'm going to be starting a stack which includes:

45min. preworkout - JP8
immediately pre / intraworkout - Purple Wraath
immediately postworkout - NOS Ether

Each of these supplements contain Phenylalanine. I've also come across research stating that individuals with Phenylketonuria (PKU - the inability to metabolize phenylalanine) should be the ones worried about Phenylalanine consumption. To my knowledge I do not have PKU, and have never seemed to have problems consuming products that contain Phenylalanine.

So I guess my question is....do people who do not have PKU need to worry about Phenylalanine consumption? Or only people with PKU? From the research that I've come across it seems that it all cautions people with PKU to avoid, but I figured I'd question the knowledgeable people here for their input.

Thanks!

S

saludable24

Awards
  • Established
It's an essential amino acid (ie the body needs it to function and maintain/build muscle). It would be hard to get too much but could be possible if you supplemented with it excessively and at the exclusion of other sources of protien.

B

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
I've been reading a little more about it. From what I understand it really shouldn't be much of a problem if I'm taking it w/ other amino acids not just exclusively. intra and postworkout I'll have some BCAA and Leucine on hand so I should be all good. Thanks!

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I would say it would be safe as long as it doesn't come from aspartame.