DHA in Fish Oil

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
If I am taking a fish oil supplement with total omega 3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA) of 300mg, is there really any benefit of picking up a bottle of just DHA? I think 300mg is probably not enough (I weigh 174lbs.) but is it better to take fish oil with EPA/DHA or is it better to also have a pure omega 3 fatty acid supplement?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
If I am taking a fish oil supplement with total omega 3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA) of 300mg, is there really any benefit of picking up a bottle of just DHA? I think 300mg is probably not enough (I weigh 174lbs.) but is it better to take fish oil with EPA/DHA or is it better to also have a pure omega 3 fatty acid supplement?
Your question is a bit confusing. There are multiple forms of omega 3s. Some of the more common forms are EPA, DHA, and Alpha Linolic Acid which is most common in flax. EPA and DHA are higher forms of omega 3s than the type in flax; with DHA being the highest form. The omegas from flax have to be converted up to EPA and DHA in the body, a pretty inefficient process from what I've read.

I don't understand what you mean by a pure omega 3 fatty acid supplement. I'd say that your fish oil is kind of low in omegas (180epa, 120dha; I'm assuming,) as there are many that are close to double that dosage per softgel.

Or you can go balls out and get liquid fish oil and get even more omegas per serving.

Benefit to just DHA, sure. DHA available in higher amounts is usually targeted for mental/mood support. Usually the higher DHA products have lower EPA, which has it's own array of health benefits. I like em both.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My lovaza is 1 gram epa/dha combo.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
Your question is a bit confusing.
Sorry I guess that was pretty confusing. I guess my question is, are there benefits to fish oil beyond omega 3s? In other words, if I have a bottle that says on it, omega 3 fatty acids (DHA / EPA) and I have another bottle that says Fish Oil (Contains DHA / EPA), is the only difference the amount of DHA/EPA per serving? Does the Fish Oil contain Omega 3 AND other stuff, or is Fish Oil just a common way of saying DHA/EPA? Is the only reason to take Fish Oil the omega 3s?

elabor

elabor

Awards
Sorry I guess that was pretty confusing. I guess my question is, are there benefits to fish oil beyond omega 3s? In other words, if I have a bottle that says on it, omega 3 fatty acids (DHA / EPA) and I have another bottle that says Fish Oil (Contains DHA / EPA), is the only difference the amount of DHA/EPA per serving? Does the Fish Oil contain Omega 3 AND other stuff, or is Fish Oil just a common way of saying DHA/EPA? Is the only reason to take Fish Oil the omega 3s?

Yes, the only reason to take fish oil is the DHA/EPA content. here is a quote from a study in the journal Pharmacology and Therapeutics:

"Fish oil supplementation has been reported to be generally beneficial in autoimmune, inflammatory and cardiovascular disorders. Most researchers have attributed these beneficial effects to the high content of omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil (FO). The effects of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) are not differentiated in most studies. In fact, up to 1990, purified DHA was not available for human use..."

As far as taking high doses of DHA/EPA from fish oil supplements, here is the medical community's general consensus from the latest issue of The Journal of Nutrition (april 2009).

"1) consistent evidence from multiple research paradigms demonstrates a clear, inverse relation between EPA+DHA intake and risk of fatal (and possibly nonfatal) CHD, providing evidence that supports a nutritionally achievable DRI for EPA+DHA between 250 and 500 mg/d; 2) because of the demonstrated low conversion from dietary ALA, protective tissue levels of EPA+DHA can be achieved only through direct consumption of these fatty acids; 3) evidence of beneficial effects of EPA+DHA on cognitive decline are emerging but are not yet sufficient to support an intake level different from that needed to achieve CHD risk reduction; 4) EPA+DHA do not appear to reduce risk for cancer; and 5) there is no evidence that intakes of EPA+DHA in these recommended ranges are harmful."

So I would say go for it. Its difficult to take too much DHA (consider an eskimo's diet), and the benefits outweigh the few risks (mostly GI discomfort). I generally take 1600mgEPA and 800mg DHA daily from fish oil, unless i have an injury, or sunburn, and then i take much more for the anti-inflammatory effect. Hope this helps.

krogtaar

Awards
just take more fish oil there is nothing special about the "concentrated" types you see. there is a small amount of stuff that dosnt fall under EPA, DHA, or ALA, but still healthy fats.

...at 25 bucks a kilo from NP's bulk its cheap enough to take as much as you want...there are a lot of threads about mega dosing with 30-45g fish oil per day.

BigSWOLE25

BigSWOLE25

Awards
  • First Up Vote
liquid would be the best choice, cthe brand carlson's makes a great product and you can find it around $22 on the net or in your local health store