protein powder ok for 10 yr old?

  1. Banned
    bigmoe65's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    764
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    58%

    protein powder ok for 10 yr old?


    My son really enjoys the taste of my protein. He could stand to gain a few pounds also. My wife is worried but I told her its just protein. Its ON gold standard. This is fine correct? I would like to give him just a scoop a day.

  2. Elite Member
    djbombsquad's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,950
    Rep Power
    403148
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    83.05%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    He needs amino acids. That is the building blocks to your body.
  3. New Member
    Carcaya's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    418
    Rep Power
    302
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    60.33%

    Yep that would be completely fine! Better for him than nesquick, thats for sure.
    •   
       

  4. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,888
    Rep Power
    852764
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    so long as its not the EST stuff with hormonals in it
  5. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,522
    Rep Power
    41252
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.39%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Agreed, no issues here as long as it's just protein powder.
  6. New Member
    PhysiqueFreak's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    315
    Rep Power
    229
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    3.73%

    Just don't let it be a substitute to whole food!
  7. Senior Member
    natty texan's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  262 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,340
    Rep Power
    749
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    2.45%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    yeah it should be okay.

    i know some parents who started giving their kids bcaa's and protein when we were playing peewee football. this is one of em now and we're both 19





    although i just hung out with him and i'm pretty sure he's gotten into ph's
  8. New Member
    ShiftyCapone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    475
    Rep Power
    323
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    76.34%

    Quote Originally Posted by PhysiqueFreak View Post
    Just don't let it be a substitute to whole food!
    This is of the utmost importance. As soon as I read the title, that's the first thing I knew I wanted to mention regardless of the thread info.

    As everyone else has already mentioned, as long as it's just protein powder (ON Whey is good) then it's fine to give him some, especially instead of nesquick or something of that sort. Just don't let it take precedence over whole foods...
  9. Banned
    bigmoe65's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    764
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    58%

    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyCapone View Post
    This is of the utmost importance. As soon as I read the title, that's the first thing I knew I wanted to mention regardless of the thread info.

    As everyone else has already mentioned, as long as it's just protein powder (ON Whey is good) then it's fine to give him some, especially instead of nesquick or something of that sort. Just don't let it take precedence over whole foods...
    Yes this would be just supplementation between meals or after sports practice.

    Thanks guys.
  10. NutraPlanet Rep
    MrBigPR's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,619
    Rep Power
    5557
    Level
    56
    Lv. Percent
    87.77%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Should be fine, some kids hate it!
  11. crazyfool405's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,430
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    I wouldn't give him more the 15 g from a shake a witha meal (like breakfast) or pre bed. Heat it up it taste like hot cocoa

  12. Diamond Member
    AZMIDLYF's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    55
    Posts
    14,730
    Rep Power
    4928437
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    16.29%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    How much can a 10 yr old weigh? I would think you could get him to eat at least a gram/lb of protein a day instead of using the powder. Get him in the habit of eating good food first. Plenty of time later for the supps...
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  13. Professional Member
    ozarkaBRAND's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,278
    Rep Power
    5604
    Level
    46
    Lv. Percent
    99.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Awesome.. give that kid all the protein he wants!
  14. crazyfool405's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,430
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    when do kidneys fully develop is really the question.
  15. Banned
    bigmoe65's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    764
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    58%

    Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    How much can a 10 yr old weigh? I would think you could get him to eat at least a gram/lb of protein a day instead of using the powder. Get him in the habit of eating good food first. Plenty of time later for the supps...
    He's a thin kid, maybe 50 pounds. I was just like him growing up. I could eat all I wanted and never gained weight. This is just for in between meals, nothing more.
  16. Elite Member
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    38
    Posts
    6,352
    Rep Power
    3263
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    31.09%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    sounds good. my son drinks my protein when i'm not looking, and he's very strong for his size and age.
  17. New Member
    qwick's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    97
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    72.74%

    i hear horse vitamins can help to =)

    jk

    wish i had some protein powder when i was 10 =/
  18. Advanced Member
    wearedbleedblue's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    754
    Rep Power
    503
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    60.66%

    Only problem I see is the strain on the kidneys. Make sure he's drinking plenty of fluid if you want to supplement him with protein.
  19. Diamond Member
    AZMIDLYF's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    55
    Posts
    14,730
    Rep Power
    4928437
    Level
    92
    Lv. Percent
    16.29%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Beats drinking soda for sure.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  20. New Member
    steam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    479
    Rep Power
    113279
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    53.84%

    i have a kid here who loves drinking my whey shakes and xtend...
  21. Senior Member
    islandmagic's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,629
    Rep Power
    36790
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    0.49%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    my to cents..... It would be better as one stated to teach him about food and not take short cuts ( Meaining we as parents need to make sure our kids understand how food works in our body yes he is only ten but if you show him that eating more health food will give you the gains you need) I use shakes because of my time I have none so I use it. but If I had time I would not need to drink 2 shakes a day... But I know my son loves to copy me so he see me drink a shake and he wants some too.. Oh by the way he can do 1 incline puch-up and he is two!
  22. Banned
    bigmoe65's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    764
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    58%

    Quote Originally Posted by islandmagic View Post
    my to cents..... It would be better as one stated to teach him about food and not take short cuts ( Meaining we as parents need to make sure our kids understand how food works in our body yes he is only ten but if you show him that eating more health food will give you the gains you need) I use shakes because of my time I have none so I use it. but If I had time I would not need to drink 2 shakes a day... But I know my son loves to copy me so he see me drink a shake and he wants some too.. Oh by the way he can do 1 incline puch-up and he is two!
    I understand your point but this is in no way going to replace his food. We dont buy soda or tons of junk food. We eat very healthy also. I would rather have him drink this instead of chocolate milk. Or I could mix it in his chocolate milk
  23. Senior Member
    islandmagic's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,629
    Rep Power
    36790
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    0.49%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmoe65 View Post
    I understand your point but this is in no way going to replace his food. We dont buy soda or tons of junk food. We eat very healthy also. I would rather have him drink this instead of chocolate milk. Or I could mix it in his chocolate milk
    Sounds like you are doing it the right way I love to hear that.. mix it in chocolate sounds good right now I am mixing mine right now!!!!!
  24. Board Sponsor
    Grambo's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,900
    Rep Power
    1475609
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    66.78%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    so long as its not the EST stuff with hormonals in it
    Awww Easy thats no fun!!

    I wish my parents had been that cool to give me protein shakes haha they taaught me too eat pretty healthy and no real pop, until i was older and they started giving in to my younger brother.

    My favorite thing is to this day my mom questions my protein shakes safety, but has no problem buying my brother up those boxed Hungry Man dinners when he is back from collehe...."Now with 1 whole pound of food!! "(Usually about 1000 calories and huge sodium and fat content). Oh well
    Head Purus Labs Rep
    www.Puruslabs.net
  25. Elite Member
    RenegadeRows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,669
    Rep Power
    191397
    Level
    60
    Lv. Percent
    72.6%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Healthier than alot of the sugar laden drinks kids consume.
  26. Registered User
    OCCFan023's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,789
    Rep Power
    2002
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    48.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    100% healthy, and honestly if you can get him in the habit of avoiding all the crap avilable to children today at a young age you will be doing him a great service for not only himself, but also his children one day.

    I will also add this because I could completely see this as a hidden risk that may be overlooked. Make sure you talk to him about what it is he is taking exactly (so make it clear its essentially like eating a chicken or tuna [yes I know the differences, I don't think he needs to know the fine details]) because god forbid he has friends over or talks about him taking his Dad's supplements and his friends relay this to their uninformed parents about what exactly he is taking. Potential for a parents nightmare.

    Other than that, I wish I had had some muscle milk or ATW Cinnamon bun when I was 10...
  27. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,888
    Rep Power
    852764
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023 View Post
    Make sure you talk to him about what it is he is taking exactly (so make it clear its essentially like eating a chicken or tuna [yes I know the differences, I don't think he needs to know the fine details]) because god forbid he has friends over or talks about him taking his Dad's supplements and his friends relay this to their uninformed parents about what exactly he is taking. Potential for a parents nightmare.

    Other than that, I wish I had had some muscle milk or ATW Cinnamon bun when I was 10...
    better to use cottage cheese or milk as the example.
  28. Banned
    bigmoe65's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    764
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    58%

    Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023 View Post
    100% healthy, and honestly if you can get him in the habit of avoiding all the crap avilable to children today at a young age you will be doing him a great service for not only himself, but also his children one day.

    I will also add this because I could completely see this as a hidden risk that may be overlooked. Make sure you talk to him about what it is he is taking exactly (so make it clear its essentially like eating a chicken or tuna [yes I know the differences, I don't think he needs to know the fine details]) because god forbid he has friends over or talks about him taking his Dad's supplements and his friends relay this to their uninformed parents about what exactly he is taking. Potential for a parents nightmare.

    Other than that, I wish I had had some muscle milk or ATW Cinnamon bun when I was 10...
    Thats a very good point. I will do that. Thanks.
  29. New Member
    Broodstar's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Age
    31
    Posts
    479
    Rep Power
    309
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    67.02%

    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkaBRAND View Post
    Awesome.. give that kid all the protein he wants!
    Agreed. My ex's son was 7 and I picked up some premade shakes at the Vitaminshoppe one day and he wanted the cookies and cream lol and he actually liked it. It was I beleived it may be one of cytosports but hell yeah its better than Nesquik garbage.
  30. Advanced Member
    raginfcktard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    978
    Rep Power
    569
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    85.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post
    when do kidneys fully develop is really the question.
    exactly...one scoop "throughout" the day is different than one scoop a day! ON is 24g a scoop...imo too much for a 10 year old...now 2 half servings would be better!
  31. Advanced Member
    bubbachew's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    30
    Posts
    530
    Rep Power
    384
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    39.63%

    lol...

    My son, 17 months old, will take a sip or two of my chocolate mint muscle milk shakes, and begs me for more, but I won't give him anymore....THAT'S MY PROTEIN. lol

    he's kinda young, yes...but it won't hurt him
  32. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    47
    Posts
    31,888
    Rep Power
    852764
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    49.84%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by raginfcktard View Post
    exactly...one scoop "throughout" the day is different than one scoop a day! ON is 24g a scoop...imo too much for a 10 year old...now 2 half servings would be better!
    phhht a mcdonalds double cheeseburger has 25g of protein in it.
  33. Advanced Member
    raginfcktard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    978
    Rep Power
    569
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    85.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    phhht a mcdonalds double cheeseburger has 25g of protein in it.
    i know...thats why i have to eat 4 at a time

    on a serious note i also see it like this...he's also gonna think that jug of protein is the cookie jar...1 could easily turn into 5 if you don't watch it! also as mentioned he should be getting enough through everyday nutrition but that's not the subject imo!
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Egg protein powder?
    By chainsaw2 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-07-2012, 10:54 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-19-2010, 04:41 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 07:17 PM
  4. Which protein powder to buy?
    By firstbat71 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-21-2008, 09:34 AM
  5. Can protein powder go bad?
    By Rock Lee in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-12-2004, 12:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in