protein powder ok for 10 yr old?

1. Banned
    Stats
    5'5"   lbs.
    Answers

protein powder ok for 10 yr old?

My son really enjoys the taste of my protein. He could stand to gain a few pounds also. My wife is worried but I told her its just protein. Its ON gold standard. This is fine correct? I would like to give him just a scoop a day.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Answers

He needs amino acids. That is the building blocks to your body.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Yep that would be completely fine! Better for him than nesquick, thats for sure.
    •   

4. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

so long as its not the EST stuff with hormonals in it
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  5. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Answers

Agreed, no issues here as long as it's just protein powder.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Answers

Just don't let it be a substitute to whole food!
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  262 lbs.
    Answers

yeah it should be okay.

i know some parents who started giving their kids bcaa's and protein when we were playing peewee football. this is one of em now and we're both 19

although i just hung out with him and i'm pretty sure he's gotten into ph's
  8. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by PhysiqueFreak View Post
    Just don't let it be a substitute to whole food!
    This is of the utmost importance. As soon as I read the title, that's the first thing I knew I wanted to mention regardless of the thread info.

As everyone else has already mentioned, as long as it's just protein powder (ON Whey is good) then it's fine to give him some, especially instead of nesquick or something of that sort. Just don't let it take precedence over whole foods...
  9. Banned
    Stats
    5'5"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyCapone View Post
    This is of the utmost importance. As soon as I read the title, that's the first thing I knew I wanted to mention regardless of the thread info.

As everyone else has already mentioned, as long as it's just protein powder (ON Whey is good) then it's fine to give him some, especially instead of nesquick or something of that sort. Just don't let it take precedence over whole foods...
    Yes this would be just supplementation between meals or after sports practice.

Thanks guys.
  10. NutraPlanet Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Should be fine, some kids hate it!
  11. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Answers

I wouldn't give him more the 15 g from a shake a witha meal (like breakfast) or pre bed. Heat it up it taste like hot cocoa

12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Answers

How much can a 10 yr old weigh? I would think you could get him to eat at least a gram/lb of protein a day instead of using the powder. Get him in the habit of eating good food first. Plenty of time later for the supps...
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Awesome.. give that kid all the protein he wants!
  14. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Answers

when do kidneys fully develop is really the question.
  15. Banned
    Stats
    5'5"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    How much can a 10 yr old weigh? I would think you could get him to eat at least a gram/lb of protein a day instead of using the powder. Get him in the habit of eating good food first. Plenty of time later for the supps...
    He's a thin kid, maybe 50 pounds. I was just like him growing up. I could eat all I wanted and never gained weight. This is just for in between meals, nothing more.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Answers

sounds good. my son drinks my protein when i'm not looking, and he's very strong for his size and age.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Answers

i hear horse vitamins can help to =)

jk

wish i had some protein powder when i was 10 =/
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Only problem I see is the strain on the kidneys. Make sure he's drinking plenty of fluid if you want to supplement him with protein.
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Beats drinking soda for sure.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  20. Registered User
    Answers

i have a kid here who loves drinking my whey shakes and xtend...
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  196 lbs.
    Answers

my to cents..... It would be better as one stated to teach him about food and not take short cuts ( Meaining we as parents need to make sure our kids understand how food works in our body yes he is only ten but if you show him that eating more health food will give you the gains you need) I use shakes because of my time I have none so I use it. but If I had time I would not need to drink 2 shakes a day... But I know my son loves to copy me so he see me drink a shake and he wants some too.. Oh by the way he can do 1 incline puch-up and he is two!
  22. Banned
    Stats
    5'5"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by islandmagic View Post
    my to cents..... It would be better as one stated to teach him about food and not take short cuts ( Meaining we as parents need to make sure our kids understand how food works in our body yes he is only ten but if you show him that eating more health food will give you the gains you need) I use shakes because of my time I have none so I use it. but If I had time I would not need to drink 2 shakes a day... But I know my son loves to copy me so he see me drink a shake and he wants some too.. Oh by the way he can do 1 incline puch-up and he is two!
    I understand your point but this is in no way going to replace his food. We dont buy soda or tons of junk food. We eat very healthy also. I would rather have him drink this instead of chocolate milk. Or I could mix it in his chocolate milk
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  196 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bigmoe65 View Post
    I understand your point but this is in no way going to replace his food. We dont buy soda or tons of junk food. We eat very healthy also. I would rather have him drink this instead of chocolate milk. Or I could mix it in his chocolate milk
    Sounds like you are doing it the right way I love to hear that.. mix it in chocolate sounds good right now I am mixing mine right now!!!!!
  24. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    so long as its not the EST stuff with hormonals in it
    Awww Easy thats no fun!!

I wish my parents had been that cool to give me protein shakes haha they taaught me too eat pretty healthy and no real pop, until i was older and they started giving in to my younger brother.

My favorite thing is to this day my mom questions my protein shakes safety, but has no problem buying my brother up those boxed Hungry Man dinners when he is back from collehe...."Now with 1 whole pound of food!! "(Usually about 1000 calories and huge sodium and fat content). Oh well
    Head Purus Labs Rep
    www.Puruslabs.net
  25. Registered User
    Answers

Healthier than alot of the sugar laden drinks kids consume.
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Answers

100% healthy, and honestly if you can get him in the habit of avoiding all the crap avilable to children today at a young age you will be doing him a great service for not only himself, but also his children one day.

I will also add this because I could completely see this as a hidden risk that may be overlooked. Make sure you talk to him about what it is he is taking exactly (so make it clear its essentially like eating a chicken or tuna [yes I know the differences, I don't think he needs to know the fine details]) because god forbid he has friends over or talks about him taking his Dad's supplements and his friends relay this to their uninformed parents about what exactly he is taking. Potential for a parents nightmare.

Other than that, I wish I had had some muscle milk or ATW Cinnamon bun when I was 10...
  27. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023 View Post
    Make sure you talk to him about what it is he is taking exactly (so make it clear its essentially like eating a chicken or tuna [yes I know the differences, I don't think he needs to know the fine details]) because god forbid he has friends over or talks about him taking his Dad's supplements and his friends relay this to their uninformed parents about what exactly he is taking. Potential for a parents nightmare.

Other than that, I wish I had had some muscle milk or ATW Cinnamon bun when I was 10...
    better to use cottage cheese or milk as the example.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  28. Banned
    Stats
    5'5"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023 View Post
    100% healthy, and honestly if you can get him in the habit of avoiding all the crap avilable to children today at a young age you will be doing him a great service for not only himself, but also his children one day.

I will also add this because I could completely see this as a hidden risk that may be overlooked. Make sure you talk to him about what it is he is taking exactly (so make it clear its essentially like eating a chicken or tuna [yes I know the differences, I don't think he needs to know the fine details]) because god forbid he has friends over or talks about him taking his Dad's supplements and his friends relay this to their uninformed parents about what exactly he is taking. Potential for a parents nightmare.

Thats a very good point. I will do that. Thanks.
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkaBRAND View Post
    Awesome.. give that kid all the protein he wants!
    Agreed. My ex's son was 7 and I picked up some premade shakes at the Vitaminshoppe one day and he wanted the cookies and cream lol and he actually liked it. It was I beleived it may be one of cytosports but hell yeah its better than Nesquik garbage.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post
    when do kidneys fully develop is really the question.
    exactly...one scoop "throughout" the day is different than one scoop a day! ON is 24g a scoop...imo too much for a 10 year old...now 2 half servings would be better!
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Answers

lol...

My son, 17 months old, will take a sip or two of my chocolate mint muscle milk shakes, and begs me for more, but I won't give him anymore....THAT'S MY PROTEIN. lol

he's kinda young, yes...but it won't hurt him
  32. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by raginfcktard View Post
    exactly...one scoop "throughout" the day is different than one scoop a day! ON is 24g a scoop...imo too much for a 10 year old...now 2 half servings would be better!
    phhht a mcdonalds double cheeseburger has 25g of protein in it.
    This space for rent

33. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    phhht a mcdonalds double cheeseburger has 25g of protein in it.
    i know...thats why i have to eat 4 at a time

on a serious note i also see it like this...he's also gonna think that jug of protein is the cookie jar...1 could easily turn into 5 if you don't watch it! also as mentioned he should be getting enough through everyday nutrition but that's not the subject imo!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Egg protein powder?
    By chainsaw2 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-07-2012, 08:54 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-19-2010, 02:41 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 05:17 PM
  4. Which protein powder to buy?
    By firstbat71 in forum Supplements