Homemade weight gainer

  1. New Member
    ezyryder08's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    77
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    5.25%

    Homemade weight gainer


    Hey just wondering if anyone has any good weight gainer recipes.

    I was thinking of doing optimum whey protein mixed with oats and organic peanut butter

    calories 630
    carbs 38g
    Protein 38g
    Sugar 4g


    Anyone else have any good recipes?

  2. New Member
    mw525's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    24
    Posts
    161
    Rep Power
    151
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    29.64%

    two scoops syntha 6 vanilla- 400 calories 30 carbs 44 protein
    two bananans-200 calories 55 carbs
    1 scoop of omega peanut butter

    i think nutritonally for a weight gainer it is good

    but it has to be one of the best tasting things ive ever tried
  3. Senior Member
    natty texan's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  262 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,340
    Rep Power
    747
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    1.65%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    protein of your choice
    two cups of oats
    cup of cottage cheese
    two table spoons peanut butter
    dextrose (if post workout) (I prefer dextrose over waxy maize)
    milk
    banana


    if you're really brave, in a hurry, and in need of a meal this is disgusting but it works
    can of tuna
    cup of oats
    peanut butter
    milk
    scoop of protein.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    kruzedgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    101
    Rep Power
    133
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    10%

    Dont forget the banannas! Once blended in it will keep the oats etc suspended in the liquid. Far better than chewing a big lump of oats at the end!
  5. Senior Member
    natty texan's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  262 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,340
    Rep Power
    747
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    1.65%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by kruzedgar View Post
    Dont forget the banannas! Once blended in it will keep the oats etc suspended in the liquid. Far better than chewing a big lump of oats at the end!
    exactly.
  6. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,842
    Rep Power
    768803
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    skip using milk, and use 16oz of 100% grape or apple juice instead. make it an all fruit smoothie style, a plain vanilla protein, 2 cups oats, 2 bananas. pb goes well too Another option is to use the ON apple cider flavor, add a little extra cinnamon to make up for the volume of other ingredients. pretty nice
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  7. Senior Member
    natty texan's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  262 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,340
    Rep Power
    747
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    1.65%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    skip using milk, and use 16oz of 100% grape or apple juice instead. make it an all fruit smoothie style, a plain vanilla protein, 2 cups oats, 2 bananas. pb goes well too Another option is to use the ON apple cider flavor, add a little extra cinnamon to make up for the volume of other ingredients. pretty nice
    apple cider flavor??

    ugh that sounds absolutely horrible.
  8. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,842
    Rep Power
    768803
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    its a spiced apple cider, sort of a base apple flavor with pumpkin pie type spice mix.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  9. Senior Member
    natty texan's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  262 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,340
    Rep Power
    747
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    1.65%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    that actually sounds good, but some how i just can't see it actually tasting like that.

    I might give it a try some day when i'm feeling really brave and have some cash to blow.
  10. PESCIENCE.com
    nattydisaster's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,203
    Rep Power
    3319985
    Level
    82
    Lv. Percent
    66.61%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Protein powder + milk + peanut butter + oats.

    You pick how much of each you can tolerate
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  11. New Member
    pool_shark's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    184
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    20.03%

    You guys are blending your shakes I assume if you're putting oats in it.

    Are you pre-preparing your shakes for later or are you blending per shake?

    I was making my own with 2 cups of milk, 2 scoops of whey, with 2 tbsp of peanut butter.

    The peanut butter flavor became overwhelming after a while and I eliminated it.
  12. New Member
    stefang's Avatar
    Stats
    6'6"  236 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    150
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    32.24%

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    skip using milk, and use 16oz of 100% grape or apple juice instead. make it an all fruit smoothie style, a plain vanilla protein, 2 cups oats, 2 bananas. pb goes well too Another option is to use the ON apple cider flavor, add a little extra cinnamon to make up for the volume of other ingredients. pretty nice
    Good idea. Protein, sweetened oats and most peanut butters are all acidifying foods. Addying banana and juice will neutralize the ph, and not only make it a weight gainer, but a healthy one at that. The same goes with apple cider and cinnamon, which both are alkaline.
  13. Senior Member
    natty texan's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  262 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,340
    Rep Power
    747
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    1.65%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    You guys are blending your shakes I assume if you're putting oats in it.

    Are you pre-preparing your shakes for later or are you blending per shake?

    I was making my own with 2 cups of milk, 2 scoops of whey, with 2 tbsp of peanut butter.

    The peanut butter flavor became overwhelming after a while and I eliminated it.
    i blend per shake.
  14. New Member
    pool_shark's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    184
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    20.03%

    Quote Originally Posted by natty texan View Post
    i blend per shake.
    Ok, thanks.
  15. New Member
    Joshua86's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    408
    Rep Power
    281
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    19.53%

    Quote Originally Posted by stefang View Post
    Good idea. Protein, sweetened oats and most peanut butters are all acidifying foods. Addying banana and juice will neutralize the ph, and not only make it a weight gainer, but a healthy one at that. The same goes with apple cider and cinnamon, which both are alkaline.
    Actually, bananas are a food that increases the acidity of the stomach. I'm a little rusty with my phys, but I do remember that potassium and chloride diffuse through these things called parietal cells in the stomach in exchange for hydrogen ions. The resulting hydrogen binds to the chloride and forms the acid. This is why people with ulcers can't stand to eat foods high in potassium (bananas, tomatoes, ect..). If you've ever eaten a couple bananas on an empty stomach, you can tell something is going on in there.

    But for the most part, unless you do have an ulcer or other problem, you don't really have to worry about stuff like that. A lot of people worry about the acidity of the foods they eat when in fact the acidity of foods has little to do with affecting the acidity of the stomach; in fact it's more the potassium's fault. Also, nothing you're going to eat is going to come close to the acidity of stomach acids. A lot of people think eating acidic foods, such as tomatoes, raises the acidity of the stomach just because the tomatoe is an acidic fruit. When in fact, it's the potassium.

    Not really relevant, but an interesting physiology lesson for ya!
  16. New Member
    TxTroy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  223 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Age
    40
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    83
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    87.21%

    Quote Originally Posted by kruzedgar View Post
    Dont forget the banannas! Once blended in it will keep the oats etc suspended in the liquid. Far better than chewing a big lump of oats at the end!
    Easy solution to the oats problem: put the dry oats in a coffee grinder for about 10 seconds. Turns to a fine flour/powder. It will then mix in even cold water and you can drink it without the need to chew.

    I buy the 2lb canister of oats at Wal Mart and I grind the whole canister at once (a little at a time of course). I put the powdered oats back in the canister, toss in one of the many spare protein scoops I always have laying around, and then I have an easy to use carb source. Takes about 20 minutes and lasts a few weeks.

    I put 2 scoops in my post workout shake and I just use cold water from the fountain at the gym in a shaker cup. Works great for me.
  17. Senior Member
    natty texan's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  262 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,340
    Rep Power
    747
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    1.65%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by TxTroy View Post
    Easy solution to the oats problem: put the dry oats in a coffee grinder for about 10 seconds. Turns to a fine flour/powder. It will then mix in even cold water and you can drink it without the need to chew.

    I buy the 2lb canister of oats at Wal Mart and I grind the whole canister at once (a little at a time of course). I put the powdered oats back in the canister, toss in one of the many spare protein scoops I always have laying around, and then I have an easy to use carb source. Takes about 20 minutes and lasts a few weeks.

    I put 2 scoops in my post workout shake and I just use cold water from the fountain at the gym in a shaker cup. Works great for me.
    pure brilliance.
  18. New Member
    JDRG's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Age
    24
    Posts
    25
    Rep Power
    83
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    90.49%

    450ml milk 3.6%
    100g oats
    1 banana
    20g peanut butter
    30g chocolate flavor protein
    20g maltodrextrin

    1100kcal, 50g protein

    Tastes really good
  19. New Member
    TxTroy's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  223 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Age
    40
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    83
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    87.21%

    Quote Originally Posted by natty texan View Post
    pure brilliance.
    the whole "necessity is the mother of invention" axiom holds true. I couldn't stand using oats whole. One day I was grinding some coffee beans and thought of this. Never looked back.
  20. New Member
    aidancolin's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  234 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Age
    35
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    74
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    98.67%

    I still always enjoyed the simple scoop of whey protein, medium banana, and cup of FF milk, I never added oats but I will start.
  21. Senior Member
    natty texan's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  262 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,340
    Rep Power
    747
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    1.65%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by TxTroy View Post
    the whole "necessity is the mother of invention" axiom holds true. I couldn't stand using oats whole. One day I was grinding some coffee beans and thought of this. Never looked back.
    my birthday is coming up and a coffee grinder just made the list.
  22. Senior Member
    natty texan's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  262 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,340
    Rep Power
    747
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    1.65%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by JDRG View Post
    450ml milk 3.6%
    100g oats
    1 banana
    20g peanut butter
    30g chocolate flavor protein
    20g maltodrextrin

    1100kcal, 50g protein

    Tastes really good
    there is a true mass shake.
  23. NutraPlanet Rep
    MrBigPR's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,619
    Rep Power
    5555
    Level
    56
    Lv. Percent
    87.51%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by stefang View Post
    Good idea. Protein, sweetened oats and most peanut butters are all acidifying foods. Addying banana and juice will neutralize the ph, and not only make it a weight gainer, but a healthy one at that. The same goes with apple cider and cinnamon, which both are alkaline.
    TOO deep.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Homemade Weight Gainer Recipies- POST EM HERE!
    By schwellington in forum Supplements
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-23-2010, 02:58 PM
  2. Best Weight Gainer
    By CombatTested in forum Bulking
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 10:56 PM
  3. First Official Bulk: Rate my homemade gainer
    By teribleturtle in forum Bulking
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 03-06-2010, 08:56 PM
  4. Best flour for homemade gainer?
    By bulls**t in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 08:51 PM
  5. homemade weight gainers
    By iisahillbilly in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-25-2003, 12:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in