Homemade weight gainer

ezyryder08

Awards
Hey just wondering if anyone has any good weight gainer recipes.

I was thinking of doing optimum whey protein mixed with oats and organic peanut butter

calories 630
carbs 38g
Protein 38g
Sugar 4g

Anyone else have any good recipes?

mw525

mw525

Awards
two scoops syntha 6 vanilla- 400 calories 30 carbs 44 protein
two bananans-200 calories 55 carbs
1 scoop of omega peanut butter

i think nutritonally for a weight gainer it is good

but it has to be one of the best tasting things ive ever tried

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
protein of your choice
two cups of oats
cup of cottage cheese
two table spoons peanut butter
dextrose (if post workout) (I prefer dextrose over waxy maize)
milk
banana

if you're really brave, in a hurry, and in need of a meal this is disgusting but it works
can of tuna
cup of oats
peanut butter
milk
scoop of protein.

kruzedgar

kruzedgar

Awards
Dont forget the banannas! Once blended in it will keep the oats etc suspended in the liquid. Far better than chewing a big lump of oats at the end!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
skip using milk, and use 16oz of 100% grape or apple juice instead. make it an all fruit smoothie style, a plain vanilla protein, 2 cups oats, 2 bananas. pb goes well too :) Another option is to use the ON apple cider flavor, add a little extra cinnamon to make up for the volume of other ingredients. pretty nice

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
skip using milk, and use 16oz of 100% grape or apple juice instead. make it an all fruit smoothie style, a plain vanilla protein, 2 cups oats, 2 bananas. pb goes well too :) Another option is to use the ON apple cider flavor, add a little extra cinnamon to make up for the volume of other ingredients. pretty nice
apple cider flavor??

ugh that sounds absolutely horrible.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its a spiced apple cider, sort of a base apple flavor with pumpkin pie type spice mix.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
that actually sounds good, but some how i just can't see it actually tasting like that.

I might give it a try some day when i'm feeling really brave and have some cash to blow.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Protein powder + milk + peanut butter + oats.

You pick how much of each you can tolerate :)

pool_shark

pool_shark

Awards
You guys are blending your shakes I assume if you're putting oats in it.

Are you pre-preparing your shakes for later or are you blending per shake?

I was making my own with 2 cups of milk, 2 scoops of whey, with 2 tbsp of peanut butter.

The peanut butter flavor became overwhelming after a while and I eliminated it.

stefang

Awards
Good idea. Protein, sweetened oats and most peanut butters are all acidifying foods. Addying banana and juice will neutralize the ph, and not only make it a weight gainer, but a healthy one at that. The same goes with apple cider and cinnamon, which both are alkaline.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
You guys are blending your shakes I assume if you're putting oats in it.

Are you pre-preparing your shakes for later or are you blending per shake?

I was making my own with 2 cups of milk, 2 scoops of whey, with 2 tbsp of peanut butter.

The peanut butter flavor became overwhelming after a while and I eliminated it.
i blend per shake.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Good idea. Protein, sweetened oats and most peanut butters are all acidifying foods. Addying banana and juice will neutralize the ph, and not only make it a weight gainer, but a healthy one at that. The same goes with apple cider and cinnamon, which both are alkaline.
Actually, bananas are a food that increases the acidity of the stomach. I'm a little rusty with my phys, but I do remember that potassium and chloride diffuse through these things called parietal cells in the stomach in exchange for hydrogen ions. The resulting hydrogen binds to the chloride and forms the acid. This is why people with ulcers can't stand to eat foods high in potassium (bananas, tomatoes, ect..). If you've ever eaten a couple bananas on an empty stomach, you can tell something is going on in there.

But for the most part, unless you do have an ulcer or other problem, you don't really have to worry about stuff like that. A lot of people worry about the acidity of the foods they eat when in fact the acidity of foods has little to do with affecting the acidity of the stomach; in fact it's more the potassium's fault. Also, nothing you're going to eat is going to come close to the acidity of stomach acids. A lot of people think eating acidic foods, such as tomatoes, raises the acidity of the stomach just because the tomatoe is an acidic fruit. When in fact, it's the potassium.

Not really relevant, but an interesting physiology lesson for ya! ;)

TxTroy

Awards
Dont forget the banannas! Once blended in it will keep the oats etc suspended in the liquid. Far better than chewing a big lump of oats at the end!
Easy solution to the oats problem: put the dry oats in a coffee grinder for about 10 seconds. Turns to a fine flour/powder. It will then mix in even cold water and you can drink it without the need to chew. :)

I buy the 2lb canister of oats at Wal Mart and I grind the whole canister at once (a little at a time of course). I put the powdered oats back in the canister, toss in one of the many spare protein scoops I always have laying around, and then I have an easy to use carb source. Takes about 20 minutes and lasts a few weeks.

I put 2 scoops in my post workout shake and I just use cold water from the fountain at the gym in a shaker cup. Works great for me.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
Easy solution to the oats problem: put the dry oats in a coffee grinder for about 10 seconds. Turns to a fine flour/powder. It will then mix in even cold water and you can drink it without the need to chew. :)

I buy the 2lb canister of oats at Wal Mart and I grind the whole canister at once (a little at a time of course). I put the powdered oats back in the canister, toss in one of the many spare protein scoops I always have laying around, and then I have an easy to use carb source. Takes about 20 minutes and lasts a few weeks.

I put 2 scoops in my post workout shake and I just use cold water from the fountain at the gym in a shaker cup. Works great for me.
pure brilliance.

JDRG

JDRG

Awards
450ml milk 3.6%
100g oats
1 banana
20g peanut butter
30g chocolate flavor protein
20g maltodrextrin

1100kcal, 50g protein

Tastes really good :)

TxTroy

Awards
pure brilliance.
the whole "necessity is the mother of invention" axiom holds true. I couldn't stand using oats whole. One day I was grinding some coffee beans and thought of this. Never looked back.

aidancolin

Awards
I still always enjoyed the simple scoop of whey protein, medium banana, and cup of FF milk, I never added oats but I will start.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
the whole "necessity is the mother of invention" axiom holds true. I couldn't stand using oats whole. One day I was grinding some coffee beans and thought of this. Never looked back.
my birthday is coming up and a coffee grinder just made the list. :burnout:

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
450ml milk 3.6%
100g oats
1 banana
20g peanut butter
30g chocolate flavor protein
20g maltodrextrin

1100kcal, 50g protein

Tastes really good :)
there is a true mass shake.

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
TOO deep.