high school sprinter - AnabolicMinds.com

high school sprinter

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

Smile high school sprinter

I'm a high school sprinter 17 years old, and I was wondering what supplements(if any) I could take to get a bit of an edge.
    I've heard great things about a Drive\RPM stack and maybe Clout?
    Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

2. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.

I wouldn't use creatine during track season. If your going to take creatine, use it for off season training. Are you looking for an edge in the weight room, or supp to take before track practice?
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'4"  155 lbs.

Creatine would be great for a sprinter.
    Other things would be whey and aminos.
    You don't need anymore than the basics, remember without nutrition you won't get anywhere regardless what you take.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'4"  155 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by james1 View Post
    I wouldn't use creatine during track season.
    It would depend on what your doing in track.
    For example for a sprinter it would be great, for endurance events it would be a no.
  5. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by wrasslin116 View Post
    It would depend on what your doing in track.
    For example for a sprinter it would be great, for endurance events it would be a no.
    first off, no its not great for anyone during track season because it can make cramping a little easier and more of an issue etc... second you really should focus on supplements during the off season when your building size, strength etc.. If your looking for a little boost, try a small amount of caffeine before practice, maybe even rpm but take 1 less then you would for pre-workout. even things like beta alanine or cit malate, are things you can look into
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

Thanks for the quick responses.
    Yeah I'm not going to take anything till offseason starts. I don't want to change anything mid-season.
    I'm not looking to gain any weight though so is creatine still a good idea?
  7. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by dyoung2217 View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses.
    Yeah I'm not going to take anything till offseason starts. I don't want to change anything mid-season.
    I'm not looking to gain any weight though so is creatine still a good idea?
    In the off season it would be a good idea, gain some weight but in the legs, and gain power in those legs. It would make you much faster.

of course you cant target gain mass or target lose weight but you know what I mean.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.

i have taken drive and i liked the muscle endourence it gave me and it took away a lot of muscle fitguie which was a great help. Try not to take products that r going to add weight and slow you down like a creatine
  9. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky1p View Post
    i have taken drive and i liked the muscle endourence it gave me and it took away a lot of muscle fitguie which was a great help. Try not to take products that r going to add weight and slow you down like a creatine

In the off season he would have plenty of time to gain lean mass, gain strength and power, and cut back down to his current weight.

would it be alot of work? of course, would he benefit? DEFINITELY
    In high school I weighed 245 lbs, and sprinted a 4.8 40 yard dash. I squated over 400lbs. Its all in the legs man.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.

In high school I weighed 245 lbs, and sprinted a 4.8 40 yard dash. I squated over 400lbs. Its all in the legs man.
    i totaly agree with you, its all in the fast twich muscles and how you train legs.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

Thanks thanks, I'm definitely training right and I might try the creatine this offseason.
    I was just looking for something to drop my times a little if there is such a thing.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  205 lbs.

Calf raises, Squats, Power Clings, Deadlifts, Lunges, and abs/core workouts. These lifts will greatly increase speed and endurance. I ran track for 2years and i cannot tell you how much these lifts maximized my performance. And of course a good or at least decent diet, protein, and creatine isn't the best supplement for sprinters or track in general as james said. So look into doing those workouts, eating clean, getting protein, and make sure your getting plenty of rest. The caffeine and beta alanine is a good idea as well for pre, maybe some amino acids too for during your practices. its cheap and they taste okay. Can mix sugar free kool-aid or something with em.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

Yeah ill definitely look into the creatine more before I try anthing
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

jacked, beta alanine, citruline malate, xtend
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.

first off, no its not great for anyone during track season because it can make cramping a little easier and more of an issue etc... second you really should focus on supplements during the off season when your building size, strength etc.. If your looking for a little boost, try a small amount of caffeine before practice, maybe even rpm but take 1 less then you would for pre-workout. even things like beta alanine or cit malate, are things you can look into
    ^^Listen to this dude^^^
    He might shave time off your sprints.

http://www.jissn.com/content/5/S1/P1

I also agree that b-Alanine and Citrulline Malate could benefit you as well. I don't think they would contribute much in, say, lowering your 40 time, but they both have clinicly been shown to improve endurance. This could help when running multiple events, or in practice when you may run the same sprint repeatedly. If you want to see some studies on BA and CitM, they shouldn't be to hard to find. I've posted a few here. If you can't, let me know and I'll dig some up.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by p00ndawg View Post
    of course you cant target gain mass
    You can't??? Are you sure? How do you explain the guy with 17" arms and 14" calves doing curls in the squat rack?
  17. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

WTF is going on in this thread?

You obviously can target gain mass.

The OP is a HIGH SCHOOL sprinter. I wouldn't recommend taking Jacked, or any other serious stim.

Yes, creatine is the ONE thing that WILL improve sprint times, period. No joke, no BS, it is the one natural supplement which will do just that. It will not increase cramping, unless you are a moron (yes, your IQ combined with creatine consumption will cause cramping if IQ is under 100 ).

Rhodiola and cordyceps also increase ATP, and they could be very beneficial, especially cordyceps.

About stims: the study quoted above is correct. But to get a decrease in sprint times, or any sort of athletic boost from caffeine, you can't use chronically. You must abstain from all caffeine use for several months, then hit about 300-600mg (or less, if sublingually) pre-event. (but DO NOT do this without trying it outside the event to gauge your tolerance and reaction).
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    WTF is going on in this thread?

You obviously can target gain mass.

The OP is a HIGH SCHOOL sprinter. I wouldn't recommend taking Jacked, or any other serious stim.

Yes, creatine is the ONE thing that WILL improve sprint times, period. No joke, no BS, it is the one natural supplement which will do just that. It will not increase cramping, unless you are a moron (yes, your IQ combined with creatine consumption will cause cramping if IQ is under 100 ).

Rhodiola and cordyceps also increase ATP, and they could be very beneficial, especially cordyceps.

About stims: the study quoted above is correct. But to get a decrease in sprint times, or any sort of athletic boost from caffeine, you can't use chronically. You must abstain from all caffeine use for several months, then hit about 300-600mg (or less, if sublingually) pre-event. (but DO NOT do this without trying it outside the event to gauge your tolerance and reaction).
    As far as abstaining from all caffeine for several months, I think that's a little bit of an overstatement. I agree that the effects of caffeine may diminish when used often, but I think someone could use a stim at every weekly event (if not more often) and still benefit.

Creatine obviously improves anaerobic performance, so it's quite apparent that it could effect sprint times.
    http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0638.htm
    And while I didn't choose to comment on the cramping mentioned, although It seems to be a popular notion, I personaly use creatine while running much greater distances than a sprinter (5k,10k,half marathon)with no cramping problems. Maybe these cramping issues come from the chronicly dehydrated?
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'6"  205 lbs.

just to be an ass...... Try EPO or blood doping... thats garunteed results!!! jk that really shouldnt be done,, jk guys dont kill me
  20. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by redemption79 View Post
    As far as abstaining from all caffeine for several months, I think that's a little bit of an overstatement. I agree that the effects of caffeine may diminish when used often, but I think someone could use a stim at every weekly event (if not more often) and still benefit.
    Maybe. I've read some very detailed accounts of the proper protocol, and basically to get the insane increase in performance caffeine is capable of, but none of us get, you need to lay off to re-acclimate your body, then use only before competition. I'm sure if you have an event a week for a season, doing caffeine once a week will produce results without diminishing effects very much.

Creatine obviously improves anaerobic performance, so it's quite apparent that it could effect sprint times.
    http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0638.htm
    And while I didn't choose to comment on the cramping mentioned, although It seems to be a popular notion, I personaly use creatine while running much greater distances than a sprinter (5k,10k,half marathon)with no cramping problems. Maybe these cramping issues come from the chronicly dehydrated?
    Agreed. I used to mt bike 60+ miles several times a week while taking 5gr monohydrate with zero cramping. I do judo now with zero cramping.
  21. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.

Cool

Maybe. I've read some very detailed accounts of the proper protocol, and basically to get the insane increase in performance caffeine is capable of, but none of us get, you need to lay off to re-acclimate your body, then use only before competition. I'm sure if you have an event a week for a season, doing caffeine once a week will produce results without diminishing effects very much.

Agreed. I used to mt bike 60+ miles several times a week while taking 5gr monohydrate with zero cramping. I do judo now with zero cramping.
    Creatine does make some people cramp during track practice u bike 60+ miles cool but thats not running my friend. I was consuming 1+ gallon of water, taurine and other to keep from cramping, stopped the creatine and wallah! No supplements will make you faster. Its all about the progress you make in the offseason with proper diet and maybe a few supps. Im assuming your spring track season is approaching start hitting up the 4x10 squats and 3x10 deadlifts until the season starts then be easy with the lifting. Beta alanine and cit malate are great for sprinters. sprinters need so so much endurance. you forget that in practice you dont run 100m then go home . Its the combination of many different sprints, like 1's 2's 3's 4's and 600's. So yes it requires much endurance to train as a sprinter. so beta alanine and cit malate are great choices. Don't use any bullsh1t stim products, in my experience and with other teamates they the gastro dumping feeling and take away from track performance. If you need a little boost take a very small amount of caffeine before practice every once in awhile. I don't feel you need to refrain from using it, but take it for what its worth . Your coach may have you guys workout during season but be easy so two months down the road in track season ur muscles are not burnt out. Basically don't waste money on supps except maybe beta alanine, cit malate, cordyceps. Only use caffeine when u rly need it. and during your off season look up some mass building routines, get big, then 3 months before season, start running some long distance and use a more powerlifting style training method.
  22. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.

and most importantly make sure your diet is always geared correctly for your goals in mind. nothing can give you more of an edge then proper diet:dl:
  23. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.

one last thing lol look into sled training, speed resistance bands, and squatting and benching with chains and resistance bands. these workouts will increase your explosiveness drastically.This stuff on top of the power cleans, hang cleans, snatches, sqts, dl's, push press that you should already be doing. Goodluck this season!
  24. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

Thanks for all the responses.
    I've already started my spring season so I'm only lifting once a week.
    I'm definitely gonna try the things suggested and work out hard this offseason.
    I already do some sleds and stuff like that and my diet is pretty sound so hopefully things go well.

Thanks again
  25. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'4"  155 lbs.

Thank you.
    It is ridiculous to say creatine is bad for a sprinter in my opinion.. there are endless studies of creatine improving sprint times etc.

James- Yes, there are possibilities that some people even with drinking enough water, taking taurine etc. will experience cramps, that doesn't mean that everyone will though, it's good your giving advice from your experience, I'm also giving mine about from when I did track and I went from taking 2nd-3rd place in the 100 to 1st at almost every meet and I never experienced one cramp.

So basicly.. try it, if it doesn't work good for you during season, save it for after.
  26. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by wrasslin116 View Post
    Thank you.
    It is ridiculous to say creatine is bad for a sprinter in my opinion.. there are endless studies of creatine improving sprint times etc.

James- Yes, there are possibilities that some people even with drinking enough water, taking taurine etc. will experience cramps, that doesn't mean that everyone will though, it's good your giving advice from your experience, I'm also giving mine about from when I did track and I went from taking 2nd-3rd place in the 100 to 1st at almost every meet and I never experienced one cramp.

So basicly.. try it, if it doesn't work good for you during season, save it for after.
    Yea I get your point, I don't want to sound like a d1ck, but your opinion is a 16 year old who doesnt seem like a serious track person against an entire d1 track team including myself. Creatine may improve times, and may be beneficial.But why would he want to risk cramping and other sorts of problems in the middle of his track season, thats just stupid. There are much better choices then creatine during the season, that will not pose any sort of risk for dampening his performance, that is my point. Creatine may give him a little boost but not as beneficial as other supps trust me on that.
  27. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'4"  155 lbs.

Yea I get your point, I don't want to sound like a d1ck, but your opinion is a 16 year old who doesnt seem like a serious track person against an entire d1 track team including myself. Creatine may improve times, and may be beneficial.But why would he want to risk cramping and other sorts of problems in the middle of his track season, thats just stupid. There are much better choices then creatine during the season, that will not pose any sort of risk for dampening his performance, that is my point. Creatine may give him a little boost but not as beneficial as other supps trust me on that.
    Makes sense.
  28. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

I'm not a runner myself, but I believe what would be most beneficial to you (correct me if I'm wrong guys) is doing more explosive leg movements. Use a lighter weight and instead of just lifting the weight go to the lowest point of the movement and explode to the highest point. This in turn will give you more power. I think using this technique with squats, lunges, and calf raises would be very beneficial.
  29. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by p00ndawg View Post
    In the off season he would have plenty of time to gain lean mass, gain strength and power, and cut back down to his current weight.

would it be alot of work? of course, would he benefit? DEFINITELY
    4.8 slowwwww
    hahah

nah i ran a 4.5 at 205 so 4.8 at 245 aint too shaby
  30. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by travd23 View Post
    I'm not a runner myself, but I believe what would be most beneficial to you (correct me if I'm wrong guys) is doing more explosive leg movements. Use a lighter weight and instead of just lifting the weight go to the lowest point of the movement and explode to the highest point. This in turn will give you more power. I think using this technique with squats, lunges, and calf raises would be very beneficial.
    Being track fast is all about heavy squats, heavy dl's, heavy hang cleans etc...
    Being very flexible, and using resistance bands for banded squats, dl's, and bench press. your are right though explosion is very important.
  31. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.

What sprints are we talking here?

There is a big big difference between a 100 and 400.....
  32. NutraPlanet Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

All of this talk about working the legs, WHAT ABOUT THE ARMS???

The one way i lowered my times was lifting weights to gain shoulders, back and arms.

Ran a 11 flat 100m in my sophomore year and a 23.5 200m. The next year after learning about building the arms i went down to a 10.6 100m and 22.7 200m.

Think of when you are sprinting, your arms are moving back and forward. Like a train. When you are off the line you start low and slowly get to a standing position. The whole time your arms is what is really driving those feet.
  33. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

OP im 17 and i am also a sprinter what events do you compete in and if the 100 m what is your PR?
  34. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBigPR View Post
    All of this talk about working the legs, WHAT ABOUT THE ARMS???

The one way i lowered my times was lifting weights to gain shoulders, back and arms.

Ran a 11 flat 100m in my sophomore year and a 23.5 200m. The next year after learning about building the arms i went down to a 10.6 100m and 22.7 200m.

Think of when you are sprinting, your arms are moving back and forward. Like a train. When you are off the line you start low and slowly get to a standing position. The whole time your arms is what is really driving those feet.
    yea arms are also key along with abs and core.
  35. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'6"  205 lbs.

I remmeber reading somewhere that some of the bicyclists in the olympic used a elevation chamber or something like that??? I guess it works by you sleeping in it and it limits the amount of oxygen you intake during sleep so somehow naturally boosts your red blood cell count up or makes it more effective.... does anyone know what im talking about?? I'm actually quite curious about this and I cant find the article anymore
  36. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by slacker86 View Post
    I remmeber reading somewhere that some of the bicyclists in the olympic used a elevation chamber or something like that??? I guess it works by you sleeping in it and it limits the amount of oxygen you intake during sleep so somehow naturally boosts your red blood cell count up or makes it more effective.... does anyone know what im talking about?? I'm actually quite curious about this and I cant find the article anymore
    Yeah its called a hypobaric chamber. They make chambers that you can surround your bed in, or put a treadmill in, etc. It simulates a high-altitude oxygen level. They are also tens of thousands of dollars.
  37. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.

I highly recommend Rhodiola. It increases ATP, which will increase, obviously, energy as well as the ability for your muscles to relax between contractions. I would be carefull were I get it from tho.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. bulking and high school
    By Suriya in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-24-2009, 11:32 PM
  2. High School
    By lDaChOsEnOnEl in forum Bulking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-29-2007, 07:20 PM
  3. High School lifter
    By ccliftercc in forum Supplements