NEED EXPERT ADVICE!!!

BIGHIGGS

Awards
I wasnt sure where to post this so here it is...
Im 28 yrs old, 295 not sure on bf%. Been training since high school but only got serious the last few years. In october of 08 i started to try and lean down as i blew up to 317lbs. as i mentioned im now 295. ive hit a wall with the weight loss. i feel my muscles are much fuller and harder than before i just dont seem to be losing any more fat. here is my diet since october 08 til about 3 weeks ago....2400 cals, 79 fat, 110 carbs, 300 pro.....i am now doing this....2100 cals, 75 fat, 120 carb, 265 pro. im looking for suggestions on supplements that will help me acheive a leaner stronger physique. I cant seem to bust through this wall ive hit....PLEASE HELP ME!!!! here is a pic to show where im at as of 02/22/09.

Attachments

JaredGalloway

Awards
  • Established
DCP and Levi are great options...if i were u i would pick up some DCP, Levi, Forskolin...and i would go on a CKD...

ryaroberts

ryaroberts

Awards
  • Established
if your not losing weight you need to tweak something. i think your carbs are too high for a cut. the object to lose weight is to put more calories out than calories in. your fat and pro is fine, just drop the carbs to breakfast only. about 20-30g of oats or cereal (somethign like that). put in at least 25-30 min of cardio 5-7 days a week. the cardio can be done after weights but if the energy is not there, do it before bed or later in the night depending when your session is.

as soon as i dropped my carbs to breakfast only, my stomach got tighter by 1.5-2 inches within 2-3 days. carbs just bloat me. good luck

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
swimming, crossfit, HIIT. the latter two will boost GH levels, which are great for burning fat. the key to maximizing any of these therefore, is to limit carbs post workout till bedtime. stick to slow digesting ones - whole grains etc once you've finished working out.

if you can cut out all your fast digesting carbs (except fruit), and replace them with either whole grains or food high in monounsaturated fat, you will notice a huge difference.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established

BIGHIGGS

Awards
DCP and Levi are great options...if i were u i would pick up some DCP, Levi, Forskolin...and i would go on a CKD...
THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE....NO CLUE WHAT ANY OF THAT STUFF IS THOUGH....LEVI? DCP? CKD?

HERE IS MY ROUTINE IN THE GYM....
USUALLY DO A 2 DAY ON 1 DAY OFF ROTATION, 1 BODY PART PER DAY. OFF DAYS I USUALLY DO MODERATE CARDIO FOR AN HOUR. ON DAYS WEIGHTS TAKE ABOUT AN HOUR THEN I DO ANOTHER 45 MIN TO 60 MIN CARDIO WITH THE FIRST 15 MINS HIIT THEN REST IS MODERATE CARDIO.
THE ONLY FOODS I EAT NOW ARE....EGG WHITES/WHOLE, WHOLE WHEAT BREAD, OATMEAL, SKIM MILK, CHICKEN THIGHS, SALAD AND NATTY PB.

JaredGalloway

Awards
  • Established
THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE....NO CLUE WHAT ANY OF THAT STUFF IS THOUGH....LEVI? DCP? CKD?

HERE IS MY ROUTINE IN THE GYM....
USUALLY DO A 2 DAY ON 1 DAY OFF ROTATION, 1 BODY PART PER DAY. OFF DAYS I USUALLY DO MODERATE CARDIO FOR AN HOUR. ON DAYS WEIGHTS TAKE ABOUT AN HOUR THEN I DO ANOTHER 45 MIN TO 60 MIN CARDIO WITH THE FIRST 15 MINS HIIT THEN REST IS MODERATE CARDIO.
THE ONLY FOODS I EAT NOW ARE....EGG WHITES/WHOLE, WHOLE WHEAT BREAD, OATMEAL, SKIM MILK, CHICKEN THIGHS, SALAD AND NATTY PB.
u can go to nutraplanet.com and search for DCP by RPN and Leviathan Reloaded (forgot the manufacturer maybe PaloAlto Labs) and buy some of nutraplanets forsolin caps...CKD means Cyclic Ketogenic Diet which is just a fancy way of saying no carbs and high protein and a moderate amount healthy fats...

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whoa!! you guys are missing something he's 296 and went on a 2400 calorie diet and stalled... what do you think happened...

Yah you likely stalled cuz you killed your metabolism ... your going to have to restart it. I would suggest a calorie cycle that way you metabolism is less likely to cave on you. Do a low medium and high day 2500, 3000, and 3500 (just and example). My precontest diet would start somewhere around 3200 calories and I'm only 240 lbs.

BIGHIGGS

Awards
Whoa!! you guys are missing something he's 296 and went on a 2400 calorie diet and stalled... what do you think happened...

Yah you likely stalled cuz you killed your metabolism ... your going to have to restart it. I would suggest a calorie cycle that way you metabolism is less likely to cave on you. Do a low medium and high day 2500, 3000, and 3500 (just and example). My precontest diet would start somewhere around 3200 calories and I'm only 240 lbs.
Should i limit my carbs to be very low still while doing this or should i keep them up to help with energy levels??? i thought 3500 would be kinda high for me to lose weight?!?!?!?! but then again im here asking because i have no clue.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
You guys think his fats are high enough? I think he should up his fat intake, lower his carb and protein intake (but not too low on the protein). And definitely take Dreamweaver's advice.

I just think a lot of the time, people underestimate the power of healthy fats...

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Should i limit my carbs to be very low still while doing this or should i keep them up to help with energy levels??? i thought 3500 would be kinda high for me to lose weight?!?!?!?! but then again im here asking because i have no clue.
yes he's right, your body probably went into starvation mode. Up your protein, HEALTHY fats and lower your carbs. The weight should start falling again, at your size you need alot of cals. 3500- 5000 would be a good range for you, just make sure you eat alot of whole food protein, chicken, fish and beef, cut the carbs a little more and increase your healthy fats.

A good place to get healthy fats is all natural peanut butter that doesnt have the homogenized oils.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
yes he's right, your body probably went into starvation mode. Up your protein, HEALTHY fats and lower your carbs. The weight should start falling again, at your size you need alot of cals. 3500- 5000 would be a good range for you, just make sure you eat alot of whole food protein, chicken, fish and beef, cut the carbs a little more and increase your healthy fats.

A good place to get healthy fats is all natural peanut butter that doesnt have the homogenized oils.
5,000 calories to LOSE weight!? Wow...interesting...

I thought he should decrease his protein intake and increase healthy fats...you say increase protein and fats...

I guess I know more about bulking than cutting...lol

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
5,000 calories to LOSE weight!? Wow...interesting...

I thought he should decrease his protein intake and increase healthy fats...you say increase protein and fats...

I guess I know more about bulking than cutting...lol

well I think its different because this guy is near 300 pounds. I think at max he shouldnt go over 5000 for awhile, he should tho try to eat like around 3500 IDEALLY with lots of it coming from protein and fats. My reason for increasing his protein is so that he doesnt lost any of the muscle he has, from the looks of his picture looks like hes got some decent mass. He should although immediately start eating again just to restart the metabolism.

Being that big like I said, he probably made his metabolism go into starvation mode which is why he stopped losing weight. the lighter he gets the less he should eat. But it all depends of course on his goals, but given his size its going to be hard for him to take any kind of regimen because Im am not really sure what to recommend for him in his current state. If he eats too little he will lose lots of muscle and maybe even gain fat from crashing his metabolism, if he eats too much he may not lose anything at all.

bubbachew

Awards
  • Established
So, maybe he should figure his LBM out? And maybe go from there...

What weight would you like to reach, Bighiggs?

BIGHIGGS

Awards
So, maybe he should figure his LBM out? And maybe go from there...

What weight would you like to reach, Bighiggs?
MY LBM IS RIGHT AROUND 235- 240 LBS.....I WANT TO GET TO AROUND 260LBS. WHO CAN ADVISE REALISTICLY HOW MANY CALS I SHOULD BE AT, 5000 SOUNDS WAY TOO JIGH FOR ME TO GET TO 260...I STARTED IN OCTOBER OF 08 AT 2700 CALS AND LOST 25 LBS. THEN THE LAST MONTH IVE BEEN AT 2400 CALS. I EAT REALLY CLEAN, BUT I GUESS I JUST DONT EAT ENOUGH. IVE ALSO BEEN TOOSING AROUND THE IDEA OF TAKING HYPERDROLX2. SHOULD I SAVE THIS FOR DOWN THE ROAD OR MIGHT IT HELP ME??? ANY OTHER SUPPS THAT MAY HELP ME...LIKE LEAN FX??? YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN GREAT SO FAR. THANKS

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes 5000 is too high for any endo to lose weight, I still think the cycle will work best for you. When you're an endo your body is very efficient, to a lot of the regular rules for figuring out calorie levels goes out the window. 3500 is not that high to lose fat at but if you cycle with medium low days your metabolism will remain high and (as if you were eating 3500 which for you is around maintenance). This way you can maximize fat loss. You may want to eat 3500 to 3800 for a few days or a week to kick start your metabolism again.

Yes figuring out your lean body mass can be helpfull, especially when your making adjustments in diet. Do what I say though and you will lose fat steadily, when you get closer to your goal you will have to be more precise. Make adjustments as you need but a cycle of calories will do you for a good long time.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes 5000 is too high for any endo to lose weight, I still think the cycle will work best for you. When you're an endo your body is very efficient, to a lot of the regular rules for figuring out calorie levels goes out the window. 3500 is not that high to lose fat at but if you cycle with medium low days your metabolism will remain high and (as if you were eating 3500 which for you is around maintenance). This way you can maximize fat loss. You may want to eat 3500 to 3800 for a few days or a week to kick start your metabolism again.

Yes figuring out your lean body mass can be helpfull, especially when your making adjustments in diet. Do what I say though and you will lose fat steadily, when you get closer to your goal you will have to be more precise. Make adjustments as you need but a cycle of calories will do you for a good long time.

listen to this man.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
listen to this man.
Thanks... I have been where he's at and at contest shape also so I can relate to the experience having visited the full spectrum. I have lost a lot of weight many times :laugh:

BIGHIGGS

Awards

I appreciate your input bigtime!!! I am going to start increasing my food intake ASAP. thats actually music to my ears. i have felt like a mouse eating paper for the last 4 months. Should i cycle my cals every three days using the numbers you suggested or should those be tweeked alittle bit. im going to give it a solid week of 3500-3800 cals like you said to jump start my metabolism. what macro percentages would you suggest for me? Thanks again for your responses.

BIGHIGGS

Awards
Im thinking about taking this stack-------> Hyperdrolx2, Lean Fx and dymatize Viper. What are everyones thoughts on this???

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I appreciate your input bigtime!!! I am going to start increasing my food intake ASAP. thats actually music to my ears. i have felt like a mouse eating paper for the last 4 months. Should i cycle my cals every three days using the numbers you suggested or should those be tweeked alittle bit. im going to give it a solid week of 3500-3800 cals like you said to jump start my metabolism. what macro percentages would you suggest for me? Thanks again for your responses.
Start with 40 40 20 cycle your calories daily Low Medium High or you can cycle 3 days.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds good!!! As Usual thanks. What do you think about the stack i was thinking about?
I would hold off on the supps for a bit.. at least till your closer to your goal. The weight should come off quite quickly for a while. I myself have gotten down to 6-7% body fat without he use of supps. Could have gone lower but ran out of time. I use them now to help make life easier but they are not necessary.

BIGHIGGS

Awards
I would hold off on the supps for a bit.. at least till your closer to your goal. The weight should come off quite quickly for a while. I myself have gotten down to 6-7% body fat without he use of supps. Could have gone lower but ran out of time. I use them now to help make life easier but they are not necessary.
Thats what ive been on the fence about. Hearing everyones great results with these supps makes me want to try them but im n=beginning to realize someone my size prob doesnt need much help in the supp department quite yet. ill just stick with my protein and multi vitamins for now. ill be sure to keep everyone posted.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats what ive been on the fence about. Hearing everyones great results with these supps makes me want to try them but im n=beginning to realize someone my size prob doesnt need much help in the supp department quite yet. ill just stick with my protein and multi vitamins for now. ill be sure to keep everyone posted.
Yes that's the wise choice.. and in the meantime research...

BIGHIGGS

Awards
Calling DreamWeaver.....or anyone else who wants to add their $.02!!!! Hey just wanted to run my new "diet" by you...i know you suggested a 40/40/20 split but i did my best with the foods i eat normally and came up with a 50/20/30 split.
heres the base diet....2750 cals, 99 fats, 122 carbs, 343 protein. im going to start with that and adjust the clories on a 3 day cycle like you suggested ill prob drop to 2500 then 2750 then 3000. ive been reading up a little a think its probably better to keep my carbs on the low side. here are the foods my diet consists of now and i will ONLY be eating these....Protein powder, eggs/whites, natty pb, chicken, top sirloin beef, double fiber wheat bread, quaker oats, evoo and skim milk.
again im still learning so if this is not close to what i should be doing then please lemme know! thanks in advance.

dmillz224

dmillz224

Awards
  • Established
Calling DreamWeaver.....or anyone else who wants to add their $.02!!!! Hey just wanted to run my new "diet" by you...i know you suggested a 40/40/20 split but i did my best with the foods i eat normally and came up with a 50/20/30 split.
heres the base diet....2750 cals, 99 fats, 122 carbs, 343 protein. im going to start with that and adjust the clories on a 3 day cycle like you suggested ill prob drop to 2500 then 2750 then 3000. ive been reading up a little a think its probably better to keep my carbs on the low side. here are the foods my diet consists of now and i will ONLY be eating these....Protein powder, eggs/whites, natty pb, chicken, top sirloin beef, double fiber wheat bread, quaker oats, evoo and skim milk.
again im still learning so if this is not close to what i should be doing then please lemme know! thanks in advance.
try to work in some fish or fish oil and the rest should be good what is your workout schedule like how many days do you lift and what is your cardio like
i would recommend fasted cardio at least 3 days a week that should help you lean out nicely

BIGHIGGS

Awards
try to work in some fish or fish oil and the rest should be good what is your workout schedule like how many days do you lift and what is your cardio like
i would recommend fasted cardio at least 3 days a week that should help you lean out nicely
I DONT HAVE A SET WORKOUT SCHEDULE BUT FOR THE MOST PART IT GOES LIKE THIS....
DAY 1-- CHEST, ABS, CALVES
DAY 2-- BI'S, TRI'S, FOREARMS(CUZ IM NOT BLESSED WITH GOOD ONES)
DAY 3-- LEGS
DAY 4-- BACK, ABS, CALVES
DAY 5-- SHOULDERS
DAY 6-- OFF OR MAYBE JUST CARDIO IF IM MOTIVATED
DAY 7-- OFF NO MATTER WHAT.
THE DAYS ARE NOT ALWAYS IN THAT ORDER. I TRY TO MIX IT UP TO KEEP THINGS INTERESTING. MY CARDIO I DO AFTER EVERY WORKOUT. I DO 30 -45 MINS OF STEADY CARDIO IN THE 65-75 PERCENT HR RANGE. I CHANGE MACHINES EVERY 15 MINS. SOMETIMES I GO AN HOUR IF IM FEELING GOOD.
JUST CURIOUS WHAT FASTED CARDIO...NEVER HEARD THAT BEFORE.

dmillz224

dmillz224

Awards
  • Established
Cardio done on an empty stomach preferably first thing in the morning I would definately make cardio a priority if u want to drop bf

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I still think those numbers are a little low for your size, low carbs yes but maybe not quite that low.

dmillz224

dmillz224

Awards
  • Established
I still think those numbers are a little low for your size, low carbs yes but maybe not quite that low.
yea I agree you need carbs just make sure your overall cals about 400-500 below maintenance you could always try some anabolic pump and that way the carbs you eat will go strait to the muscle thats I've used it on a cut and gained strength of course that was getting back in the gym after a 3 month layoff

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yea I agree you need carbs just make sure your overall cals about 400-500 below maintenance you could always try some anabolic pump and that way the carbs you eat will go strait to the muscle thats I've used it on a cut and gained strength of course that was getting back in the gym after a 3 month layoff
I am just going to start with nutrient partitioning mid April.

BIGHIGGS

Awards
OK SO SORRY FOR SOUNDING DUMB HERE IF I DO...... THE NUMBERS FOR MY SIZE ARE LOW...YOU GUYS TALKIN JUST CARBS OR TOTAL CALORIES....THE THING THAT CONFUSES ME IS DREAM SAID CYCLE CALS 2500, 3000, 3500. MY LOW CAL DAY IS 2700 CALS WHICH FALLS IN THAT RANGE THEN I WILL INCREASE FROM THERE. HOW DO I DETERMINE WHAT MY MAINTENANCE CALS ARE SO I CAN BE SURE IM EATING ENOUGH TO KEEP MY METABOLISM GOING YET STILL LOSE WEIGHT...I FEEL SO DUMB ABOUT ALL THIS CRAP.

dmillz224

dmillz224

Awards
  • Established
talkin about your carbs you need to increase them a little closer to 40% of your cals rather than 20% and adust your fat and protien accordingly

If your trying to gain LBM then you need carbs in order to build muscle especially before and after workouts

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OK SO SORRY FOR SOUNDING DUMB HERE IF I DO...... THE NUMBERS FOR MY SIZE ARE LOW...YOU GUYS TALKIN JUST CARBS OR TOTAL CALORIES....THE THING THAT CONFUSES ME IS DREAM SAID CYCLE CALS 2500, 3000, 3500. MY LOW CAL DAY IS 2700 CALS WHICH FALLS IN THAT RANGE THEN I WILL INCREASE FROM THERE. HOW DO I DETERMINE WHAT MY MAINTENANCE CALS ARE SO I CAN BE SURE IM EATING ENOUGH TO KEEP MY METABOLISM GOING YET STILL LOSE WEIGHT...I FEEL SO DUMB ABOUT ALL THIS CRAP.
Maybe I misread your post you say 2700 is your low day so 3000-3200 should be your medium and 3500-3700 your high. You can adjust these numbers as you go. Give it a couple weeks. I would increase your carb intake a bit yes. Try 45/35/20 maybe. Now carb sources should be largely fibrous (vegtables like brocolli green beans etc) and sweet potatoes, rice and oats should make up most of the rest of your carbs. You can throw in a couple pieces of fruit on higher calorie days.

BIGHIGGS

Awards
Thank You guys for putting up with my sometimes "silly" questions but like ive said im learning here and you guys are a great help. im using all the advice you guys have given me thus far. lets hope it works!!!

dmillz224

dmillz224

Awards
  • Established
hey man the only way to learn is ask as many questions as you can

Maniac40

Maniac40

Awards
fat too high

Dude cut the fat to 30 grams per day, keep the carbs and protein the same, up the cardio to 45 minutes a day 7 days a week

ljustman

Awards
Hey man, I wrestled in highschool and a little in college and got really good at losing weight, still works when I need a cutting cycle. Exactly what percentage of fats, proteins, and carbs you need I don't really know for sure, but someone here can help you out with that. Also, if you need a really strict and exact meal plan, get one and apply the general rules that I used. Here's what I did...

-figure out how many calories you need to stay at your current weight
-never go below 800 calories of that or you will kill your metabolism and your body wil go into starvation mode, by turning everything you eat into fat to store for later use
-plan your day ahead of time and figure ot how many calories you need.
-your target should be about 400-500 calories below the number that will keep you at your current weight
-
-small meals throughout the day (about four hrs apart)
-general rules for meals during the day -at least a little protein with every meal
- eat your fruits earlier in the day
- eat almost only protein veggies and a little bit of fat by dinner dinner time
- never let yourself be hungry and never let yourself feel full
- this will keep your metabolism goin strong all day.

-Protein- should be lean meat (lean steak, chicken, fish)-tuna is my fav.=tons of protein
-fats- healthy/natural sources=flax seed oil, low fat yogurt, lowfat cheese, etc
-carbs-always, always , always complex whole grain carbs
-NO processed food or food with no nutrition value
-you might want a multi vitamin

You'll want to throw a little cardio in too... for me I found that a 5-10 min run in the morning helped jumpstart my metabolism. You want 45 mins-an hour or so of cardio total. If you can split it up into 2 or 3 sessions, even better. Remember, no matter what you take it's still a matter of whether or not you can balance your caloric intake, if you can't all the supps in the world won't help you. Steady loss is the most easily sustainable and losing weight at a steady rate will reduce the amount of muscle you lose as well. A good night's sleep (7-9 hrs) and a good water intake (a gallon or so would be ideal) is also essential to a good weight loss plan.

I don't have too much experience with supps, so get that advice from someone else.

Good luck!

Last edited:

ljustman

Awards
Maybe I misread your post you say 2700 is your low day so 3000-3200 should be your medium and 3500-3700 your high. You can adjust these numbers as you go. Give it a couple weeks. I would increase your carb intake a bit yes. Try 45/35/20 maybe. Now carb sources should be largely fibrous (vegtables like brocolli green beans etc) and sweet potatoes, rice and oats should make up most of the rest of your carbs. You can throw in a couple pieces of fruit on higher calorie days.
Dreamweaver, I've never experimented with cycling with caloric intake like you are talkin about, sounds very interesting and it would seem like that would work well. I'll have to try that in my upcoming cutting cycle. Should I try to time my high intake days on harder workout days?

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dreamweaver, I've never experimented with cycling with caloric intake like you are talkin about, sounds very interesting and it would seem like that would work well. I'll have to try that in my upcoming cutting cycle. Should I try to time my high intake days on harder workout days?
Not necessarly, I find a greater need for extra nutrition on the day after your workout, just as long as your taking care of your post workout nutrition. I find loading up in calories pre-workout counter productive, especially when losing weight.

Another thing about weight loss is if you do it too quickly your going to lose muscle, I realize you don't have a choice if you have a weigh in or a competition but in those cases starting early is a good idea so you can lose more slowly.

ljustman

Awards
Not necessarly, I find a greater need for extra nutrition on the day after your workout, just as long as your taking care of your post workout nutrition. I find loading up in calories pre-workout counter productive, especially when losing weight.

Another thing about weight loss is if you do it too quickly your going to lose muscle, I realize you don't have a choice if you have a weigh in or a competition but in those cases starting early is a good idea so you can lose more slowly.
Yea, I've found the same with pre workout calories, the most I normaly eat is a rice cake, or whole wheat toast with honey. Thanks for the info

BIGHIGGS

Awards
I know eating good carbs PRE workout is good for keeping up energy levels during your workout (or at least i think it is), but are pre workout carbs detrimental to weight loss if that is your goal? I take in a good amount of POST workout carbs both fast and slow absorbing.

ljustman

Awards
I know eating good carbs PRE workout is good for keeping up energy levels during your workout (or at least i think it is), but are pre workout carbs detrimental to weight loss if that is your goal? I take in a good amount of POST workout carbs both fast and slow absorbing.
I don't think so, as long as you take what you are eating pre-workout into account when looking at daily calories. Like I said, I find it most beneficial to eat somthing small with a good amount of carbs and protein. Examples: rice cake with a little peanut butter, protein bar, piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter.

BIGHIGGS

Awards
I don't think so, as long as you take what you are eating pre-workout into account when looking at daily calories. Like I said, I find it most beneficial to eat somthing small with a good amount of carbs and protein. Examples: rice cake with a little peanut butter, protein bar, piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter.
Ok. I took the carbs out PRE workout but I find im not as motivated during the workouts. im gonna add some good carbs back into my PRE meal. Also Whats the best way to determine my maintenance cals as you suggested in your previous post?

ljustman

Awards
Ok. I took the carbs out PRE workout but I find im not as motivated during the workouts. im gonna add some good carbs back into my PRE meal. Also Whats the best way to determine my maintenance cals as you suggested in your previous post?
I have never really counted carbs before because I have generally been in tune with how my metabolism works and where my Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) was. Your BMR is just the number of Calories you need to live, breath, pump blood, etc. Thats a result of years of experimenting during wrestling, years that you obviously don't want to waste. I would suggest looking into the Harris Benedict Formula which is... BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year ). Then apply the following to find the number of calories that you need to maintain weight at your current activity level.
If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Another method that gives you close to the same number is
Fat loss = 12 - 13 calories per lb. of bodyweight
Maintenance (TDEE) = 15 - 16 calories per lb. of bodyweight
Weight gain = 18 - 19 calories per lb. of bodyweight

Both these methods give you pretty close to the same number for the number of calories you need to Maintain your weight. There are many other methods and equations out there to determine this number. The reality is that your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) and therefore the number of calories you need to maintain your weight, can vary widely from person to person due to genetic factors. These ways of determining your BMR give you a starting point. It will most likely need a little adjustment on your part. It is essential that after you have figured out your BMR, adjusted for activity level, and then subtracted 500 or so calories a day for weight loss goals, that you stick to that number. If you don't you won't know how to adjust if it doesn't work out. So for example if the number you are shooting for is 3,000 calories a day for weight loss and you eat 2,000 one day, 4,000 the next, and 5,000 you won't know how to adjust when you don't get the results you want. If you do stick to the 3,000 calories and you aren't losing the weight try dropping it a little more. If you keep lowering your daily caloric intake from there without results, this could mean your initial number was too low and your metabolism stalled because you weren't getting enough calories. Remember, you are shooting for about 400-500 calories below your BMR that was adjusted for activity level. It may take some time and some work to find your BMR, but once you have figured it out, you will be able to adjust your diet to lose or gain weight without as much trouble. This is where cycleing the caloric intake on different days could come in like dreamweaver was talking about. I haven't tried it myself yet, but from what I have heard and the research I've done it sounds pretty promising. But first you need to find your BMR so you know what amount of calories to aim for on your low, medium, and high day.

The bottom line is that you need to stay a little bit under your adjusted BMR to lose the weight and to do so takes a little work and experimentation on your part.

I'm not a a profesional by any means, this is just what works in my experience and how many other wrestlers I know got down to lower weight classes without sacrificing muscle mass. I hope this helps.

Stick with it and good luck!

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The only problem with these calculations is I find that they don't consider body type to the extent that I would. I find that if I ate the number of calories for my BMR I would be gaining weight. It's just a ball park.