Need a little clarification on post workout food

  1. New Member
    kevmac's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    43
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    90
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    4.39%

    Need a little clarification on post workout food


    I want to get rid of my mid section. I am 180lbs and should be around 170lbs.I think the Muscle Milk and other products I used are just adding to the gut. So I bought 45 lbs of ATW whey isolate and whey blend. These two have about 100 calories per 20-25 grams protein. I figure I can start taking it 3 to 5 times per day. The question I have is, should I be taking about 40 grams protein post workoout for strong weight training, and should I be mixing the waxy maize starch that I just bought in with it (given my gut situation)? I want to lose the gut but not in order to sacrifice strength gains. I guess I am a little unclear why I need carbs post workout anyway.

    (This is what I take preworkout: caffein, citrulline malate, acetyl l carnitine, d-ribose, more. And during workout: I like maltodextron, ceem, aminos, crystal light.)

    thanks

  2. New Member
    Pleonastic's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    212
    Rep Power
    178
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    79.43%

    100 calories and 25g of protien sounds perfect for some1 trying to lose fat yet build some muscle. You can take the shake 3 times a day, but limit some of your other fatty and high carb foods you eat.

    Fat on your stomach must be burned by burning calories, your body just may lose fat there last and store it there first. Some people have fat arms, legs, etc. So keep up with the weight training and the cardio.

    You need carbs post workout to recharge and force the protien into your muscles. And begin the recovery and building process immediatley.
  3. Elite Member
    SilentBob187's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Age
    30
    Posts
    7,851
    Rep Power
    11115
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    25.68%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Pleonastic View Post
    You need carbs post workout to recharge and force the protien into your muscles. And begin the recovery and building process immediatley.
    To pick up where he left off. Maybe mix some oatmeal with your protein post workout or have some whole wheat bread and or fruit with your protein. Some of those slower complex carbs instead of something quick like WMS. Give one of those options a try for a few weeks and see what happens.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
    •   
       

  4. UniversalUSA.com
    Universal Rep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,779
    Rep Power
    966
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    21.63%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by kevmac View Post
    I want to get rid of my mid section. I am 180lbs and should be around 170lbs.I think the Muscle Milk and other products I used are just adding to the gut. So I bought 45 lbs of ATW whey isolate and whey blend. These two have about 100 calories per 20-25 grams protein. I figure I can start taking it 3 to 5 times per day. The question I have is, should I be taking about 40 grams protein post workoout for strong weight training, and should I be mixing the waxy maize starch that I just bought in with it (given my gut situation)? I want to lose the gut but not in order to sacrifice strength gains. I guess I am a little unclear why I need carbs post workout anyway.

    (This is what I take preworkout: caffein, citrulline malate, acetyl l carnitine, d-ribose, more. And during workout: I like maltodextron, ceem, aminos, crystal light.)

    thanks
    PWO, I wouldn't go too crazy on the PRO. In another thread here, I cited a study which looked at any more than 20g of protein as being wasteful in some key regards. I'd prolly keep it simple to 20-25g of whey + 50g-75g or so of malto/dex and see how that goes. If you're usin' creatine, you could add it here per the ISSN recommendation, making for a PRO + CHO + Cr postworkout shake...
  5. New Member
    HarryManback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    35
    Posts
    193
    Rep Power
    176
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    67.55%

    "PRO + CHO + Cr postworkout shake"

    I need a translation on that please. Also the only thing I take post workout is Xtend right after, and then right before bed. Going on the idea that it will keep me anabolic with little to no calories.
  6. UniversalUSA.com
    Universal Rep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,779
    Rep Power
    966
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    21.63%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
    "PRO + CHO + Cr postworkout shake"

    I need a translation on that please. Also the only thing I take post workout is Xtend right after, and then right before bed. Going on the idea that it will keep me anabolic with little to no calories.
    Sorry. Just the basics. Protein (PRO), plus carbs (CHO), and some creatine (Cr)--all combined.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. food pre/post w/o
    By Pipes in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-13-2010, 08:18 PM
  2. post post workout meal and diet -- HELP/THOUGHTS
    By beebab in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-17-2007, 03:08 AM
  3. Any advantage to food instead of drinks post-workout?
    By Tile Man in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2007, 09:21 AM
  4. Food for Post workout.......
    By JKurz1 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-10-2006, 05:28 PM
  5. Best real food post workout?
    By hamper19 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-18-2006, 02:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in