B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Head to Toe Health and More with Selenium

Minerals also perform specific functions within the body like the vitamins. Some minerals are so important that you could develop a serious health condition, if these minerals are insufficient. Despite the fact that most minerals are allied with a single bodily function, there are exceptions. Selenium is one such exception that can offer benefits of good health for your entire body.

Selenium gives you the gift of healthy hair, skin, and eyes. Selenium works hand in hand with antioxidants to help lower the count of free radicals in the system. It is also been proven beneficial in regulating the thyroid and immune system. Selenium makes you feel energized and healthy. Selenium produces antibodies, and therefore strengthens your immune system and enables you to fight back infections, viral and toxic invaders that can result in serious illness.

Selenium even provides protection against cancer. And the best part of the story is that when selenium is doing all of this, you are not even aware of it. There is a good chance that you are acquiring sufficient selenium, if you consume plant food, seafood, and meats on a regular basis. Scientists have also discovered that selenium not only prevents cancer but it also treats cancer.

Although the studies are relatively new and selenium has been found effective in killing cancer cells in prostate cancer, there are promises that state that it may help treat other forms of cancers too. This is really a gift to the millions of people who are suffering from one of the 200 types of cancer.

As said earlier, studies about selenium being beneficial in cancer prevention are new and now scientists are spending a significant amount of time researching other possible benefits of this nutrient. In basic terms, cancer is a malfunction in the body's normal making of growth cells. Studies of selenium indicate that this mineral may offer cancer-prevention benefits.

It is very unlikely for someone to develop a selenium deficiency, since the body only requires a small amount (about 60 micrograms). Nevertheless, you have to make sure that you get sufficient selenium regularly. Your heart can weaken if you develop a selenium deficiency.

As always, it is a good idea to discuss your concerns with your doctor and go ahead with selenium supplementation only with their approval. But be sure to follow your doctor's recommended directions. Too much selenium (more than 200 micrograms) can be toxic and cause serious illnesses.

Jean Helmet is one of the editors at a collection of nutritional web sites, We offer a free health book for subscribers to our websites newsletter.

We cover everything you need to know on nutrition and how to improve your health. Make sure you check out our free nutrition e-book, for more information on the supplements we use with excellent health results.

By: Jean Helmet

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Selenium gives you the gift of healthy hair, skin, and eyes. Selenium works hand in hand with antioxidants to help lower the count of free radicals in the system. It is also been proven beneficial in regulating the thyroid and immune system. Selenium makes you feel energized and healthy. Selenium produces antibodies, and therefore strengthens your immune system and enables you to fight back infections, viral and toxic invaders that can result in serious illness.

Selenium even provides protection against cancer. And the best part of the story is that when selenium is doing all of this, you are not even aware of it. There is a good chance that you are acquiring sufficient selenium, if you consume plant food, seafood, and meats on a regular basis. Scientists have also discovered that selenium not only prevents cancer but it also treats cancer.

Although the studies are relatively new and selenium has been found effective in killing cancer cells in prostate cancer, there are promises that state that it may help treat other forms of cancers too. This is really a gift to the millions of people who are suffering from one of the 200 types of cancer.

As said earlier, studies about selenium being beneficial in cancer prevention are new and now scientists are spending a significant amount of time researching other possible benefits of this nutrient. In basic terms, cancer is a malfunction in the body's normal making of growth cells. Studies of selenium indicate that this mineral may offer cancer-prevention benefits.
I have a colon cancer predisposition from my father. He got it and died in his early 50's.

Because of this predisposition I have been very proactive in prevention and detection. Several weeks ago I went in for a colonoscopy. This was actually 8 months earlier than scheduled. I had one 26 months ago and was supposed to get one again every three years. I went in early this time because my insurance was going to run out after a lay off.

At my last colonoscopy I had a couple polyps which is not unusual. This time we discovered three polyps. One of these polyps turned out to be a benign precancerous tumor/polyp. The good news is that it is benign. Early detection is the very most effective way for men to prevent the development of colon cancer.

Getting laid off may have been the best thing that happened to me. I am scheduled to have the rest of it removed tomorrow.

My point - The University of Arizona in Tucson is conducting a Selenium research study and I am a candidate for their study. It is to determine if Selenium is beneficial in the prevention of the development or reoccurrence of colorectal tumors.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thanks - great post. I have the same predisposition on my father's side of the family.