Tainted Supplements FDA Pulls it FAST-Tainted HFCS-Devils food-They meditate om it!

Subject: MERCURY FOUND IN HI-FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP

This was reported on US News & World Report today- follows up what has suspected:

Quantities of mercury have been found in high fructose corn syrup, the ingredient that has replaced sugar in many of our processed foods. Reports have also come out that the FDA knew about traces of the toxic substance in food, and sat on the information. This news comes out just as we've learned that the peanut butter factory responsible for the salmonella outbreak has a storied history of health violations. What a week for food safety.
Mercury in high fructose corn syrup affects many of the most popular foods in America, including yogurt, soda, candy, juice and jelly. Even a small amount of it can be seriously unhealthy.
"Mercury is toxic in all its forms,” said IATP’s David Wallinga, M.D., and a co-author in both studies. “Given how much high fructose corn syrup is consumed by children, it could be a significant additional source of mercury never before considered. We are calling for immediate changes by industry and the FDA to help stop this avoidable mercury contamination of the food supply."
The Corn Refiners Association is disputing the results of the study, but a watchdog group's study turned up similar results. More research is needed to determine exactly which foods are affected, but some of the foods tested were from the brands Hershey's, Quaker, Hunt's, Manwich, Smucker's, Kraft, Nutri-Grain, and Yoplait. We've already read that high fructose corn syrup can contribute to obesity and diabetes. With this recent scare, will people take a turn away from processed foods to more natural eating habits? Or have processed foods become an irreplacable part of the American diet?

THIS WAS A QUALITY BLOG ON THE SUBJECT:

We have known the ill effects of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) for a long time now. It's ill effects in causing obesity and diabetes are known throughout the literature. HFCS makes everything it is in very sweet and palatable. However, at what cause to our economy and health. Diabetes and obesity are on the rise in the US. I have asked my patients that before trying a diet, they should stop ingesting HFCS. Not suprisingly, most of the patients lost up to 15% of their body weight just by stopping the ingestion of HFCS. With newer research showing more and more information regarding HFCS causing many more ill effects, it should not be a suprise that it can also cause cancer. The problem is that the companies that use the HFCS to make their products will undoubtably deny and refute all reports showing any ill effects. What did we expect from them? In a time where knowledge is only a click away, I urge all of you to track this and all artifical sweeteners for their ill effects. Lastly, HFCS is not digestable by our bodies. It is a toxin that the liver can not detoxify. In essence, our body does not know how to metabolize HFCS. Too much of it can ultimately exceed our liver's ability to detoxify it and cause both the weight to increase and the pancreas to decrease insulin production thus causing hyperglycemia and ultimately, diabetes.

bludevil

bludevil

Awards
  • Established
Good info, got 2 small kids and I know they consume more than I would like from items such as fruit-rollups and fruit juices.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its really amazing... I saw this on tv yesterday I think it was.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
jeeze, i dont remember seeing so many recalls from contamination so frequently as there has been lately.

bludevil

bludevil

Awards
  • Established
The fact that it's made from corn has no bearing at all if it's contaminated with Mercury.

Ubiyca

Ubiyca

Banned
Awards
  • Established

These propagana vids just goes to show how evil the global elite are.

P.S Jacob I just saw it was you who started this thread, Kudos to you bro.. this is a subject that needs to be told to everyone.

dpfisher

So uh, is it actually bad beyond being pure sugar or not? I don't eat any of that or pure sugar either so I haven't had need to find out.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So uh, is it actually bad beyond being pure sugar or not? I don't eat any of that or pure sugar either so I haven't had need to find out.
it is, because you never get that density of it, processed like that in nature. fructose by itself isnt bad if it comes from fruit. sugar isnt bad if its raw minimally processed sugar. both of those of course are in reasonable quantities. a teaspoon of sugar in coffee is not going to make you diabetic, nor is 3 oranges, 3 apples and a grapefruit a day :)

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
Lastly, HFCS is not digestable by our bodies. It is a toxin that the liver can not detoxify. In essence, our body does not know how to metabolize HFCS. Too much of it can ultimately exceed our liver's ability to detoxify it and cause both the weight to increase and the pancreas to decrease insulin production thus causing hyperglycemia and ultimately, diabetes.
Does this blogger have any sources for that?

In no way am I a fan of HFCS, but i do think its rather irresponsible to post statements like that if you don't have the studies to back it.

I find this interesting too because we just went over this in one of my nutrition courses. While corn (and corn syrup) both contain fructose, it isn't nearly at nearly the concentration it is in HFCS (which i believe is about 60%). I suppose its comparable to what happens with trans-fats, a good portion of the glucose in the starch chain is converted into fructose. I really wish they had some studies on this, because while fructose in itself shouldn't be dangerous, the fact that its chemically modified on the starch chain raises some issues of concern.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

In no way am I a fan of HFCS, but i do think its rather irresponsible to post statements like that if you don't have the studies to back it.

I find this interesting too because we just went over this in one of my nutrition courses. While corn (and corn syrup) both contain fructose, it isn't nearly at nearly the concentration it is in HFCS (which i believe is about 60%). I suppose its comparable to what happens with trans-fats, a good portion of the glucose in the starch chain is converted into fructose. I really wish they had some studies on this, because while fructose in itself shouldn't be dangerous, the fact that its chemically modified on the starch chain raises some issues of concern.
No sources mentioned. That person posted his comments on the USNews Website under the name " Dr. CM Marin of NJ " . It is found nowhere else on the internet, so it was more of an unsupported comment than a "quality blog on the subject" as far as I can tell.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ubiyca

Ubiyca

Banned
Awards
  • Established

HELLO.. MERCURY.... You want studies? It has high levels of MERCURY.. the end.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How bout this?
Diet Danger: High Fructose Corn Syrup
The Effects of Corn Syrup Aren't So Sweet
-- By Becky Hand, Licensed & Registered Dietitian

Trying to save money, food companies introduced High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) into the food market in the 1970s. Sweetening manufactured foods this way is profitable, because it is less expensive and much sweeter than sugar, yet easy to transport because of its liquid state. Today HFCS is found in a variety of foods from soda pop to ketchup, fruit drinks to salad dressings, cereals, breads, flavored yogurt, and sauces.

What is Fructose?
Fructose, a monosaccharide, is sometimes called “fruit sugar” because it is naturally found in fruits. Fructose is also found in honey, and is a component of table sugar (sucrose), which is a disaccharide composed of fructose and glucose.

When we eat most carbohydrate foods, the blood sugar level increases and insulin is secreted to transport the sugar into the body’s cells. Besides helping to transport blood sugar, insulin also triggers the release of a hormone called leptin. Leptin helps control hunger by signaling the brain that the body is full and therefore to stop eating.

The interesting fact about fructose is that it is metabolized in a totally different way than other carbohydrates. It does not stimulate or require insulin for transportation to the cells. Since there is no need for insulin release, there is also no secretion of leptin. Therefore the feeling of satiety is altered—you continue to eat and possible overeat.

Is Fructose the Enemy?
Fructose should not be eliminated from your diet. It is primarily found in fruits, which provide a wealth of nutritional benefits to the body. Fructose found in fruits is fine! However, are we setting up our bodies for damage by constantly feeding it foods that have been filled with sucrose (fructose and glucose) and heavily loaded with HFCS, which is approximately one-half fructose?

What the Research Says…
A few studies have demonstrated that participants who consumed soda sweetened with HFCS did not reduce their total caloric intake to compensate for excess calories consumed as HFCS (compared to subjects who drank artificially sweetened soda). The data suggests that HFCS does not provide the body with a sense of fullness. This may cause an increase in excess calorie intake, leading to weight gain.

A recent study conducted by the University of Cincinnati provided additional information. Mice freely consumed either water, fructose-sweetened water, or soft drinks. The researchers found increased body fat in the mice that drank the fructose-sweetened water and soft drinks—even though these animals decreased the amount of calories they ate from solid foods.

The Smart SparkAction!
Whenever possible, avoid food products that contain HFCS and refined table sugar. This is not a magical cure for weight loss, but the preliminary research indicates that it may play a role. These foods often have little—if any—nutritional value.
Take inventory of your refrigerator, freezer, and pantry. Start reading the fool labels. If HFCS is one of the main ingredients (which are listed in descending order on the food label), scratch it off your grocery list—permanently.
Try to limit foods that have “sugar” as one of the first ingredients.
Start shopping around the perimeter of your grocery store; this is where you will find the foods in their natural, unprocessed state.
Fill your grocery cart with low fat dairy products, fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats, eggs, beans, peas, lentils, nuts, seeds, whole grains, cereals and breads.
Although food manufacturers may lose out on your business, your body will thank you!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
interesting response from the corn people

“The article and the report are based on outdated information of dubious significance,” Erickson added. “Americans should know that no mercury or mercury-based technology is used in the production of high fructose corn syrup in North America.”

“It is important to put these questionable findings into context. Trace amounts of mercury can be found in the air, water, soil, and many other foods. The authors admit that they cannot determine the source of the mercury cited in the report.”

“Equally important,” noted Erickson, “the amounts of mercury the authors and IATP purport to have found in food products containing high fructose corn syrup are far below levels of concern set by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Environmental Protection Agency. Specifically, EPA sets limits for mercury in drinking water at two parts per billion. In comparison, the IATP authors claim to have found levels at parts per trillion in only 2 of 19 beverages with high fructose corn syrup – at levels one-hundred times below the EPA limit of concern. All the other samples were devoid of detectable levels. ” Erickson said.

“The IATP report and the journal article it references fail to meet scientific standards for serious research and published literature,” according to Erickson.

Ubiyca

Ubiyca

Banned
Awards
  • Established
interesting response from the corn people
Of course they are going to tell lies..

Dude have you seen their propoganda commercials?

These people are ruthless, blatant propaganda.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Of course they are going to tell lies..

Dude have you seen their propoganda commercials?

These people are ruthless, blatant propaganda.
So again conspiracy man, tell me. If its below the acceptable level that is in our water supply, and below the accepted level in other foods, then what is the problem? Show me where the results of the study that found "Quantities of mercury", that show the amount above the standard the FDA considers safe.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
from the study

In the US, the current action level of 1 μg methylmercury/g fish or seafood was set in 1977 during court proceedings of the United States of American v. Anderson Seafoods, Inc.
Eight of the nine HFCS samples exhibiting mercury levels between 0.065 μg to 0.570 μg mercury/g HFCS were produced by the other two manufacturers.
So the level found in HFCS at maximum is still less than what was found to be acceptable levels in fish.

Ubiyca

Ubiyca

Banned
Awards
  • Established
So again conspiracy man, tell me. If its below the acceptable level that is in our water supply, and below the accepted level in other foods, then what is the problem? Show me where the results of the study that found "Quantities of mercury", that show the amount above the standard the FDA considers safe.
I will try and find it later I need to sleep right now, however remember.. the FDA.. which deemed melamine safe.. lol, FDA is a joke.

And no levels of mercury are "acceptable". Mercury is an extremely toxic posion that kills neurons upon contact among many other horrible things, as I'm sure you know.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think the problem with HFCS containing even traces of mercury is that it is in EVERYTHING and a average person's diet usually consumers a lot of it and the mercur would build up over time. The difference for fish would be you could just avoid it and few people eat fish for every meal of everyday. Just one thought.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will try and find it later I need to sleep right now, however remember.. the FDA.. which deemed melamine safe.. lol, FDA is a joke.

And no levels of mercury are "acceptable". Mercury is an extremely toxic posion that kills neurons upon contact among many other horrible things, as I'm sure you know.
theres mercury in your drinking water.

In 1974, the EPA established the Safe Drinking Water Act that set specific guidelines on contaminants that are commonly found in drinking water. However, it was not until 1992 that mercury, in particular, became regulated. Both the Maximum Contaminant Level Goal and the Maximum Contaminant Level were set at 2 parts per billion because current technology allows public water suppliers to detect and remove mercury levels that low. The monitoring of mercury levels must take place every three months if the level is higher than the set guideline and specific measures must be taken to reduce these levels if they are exceeded persistently. Approved methods of removing mercury from the drinking water supply are the following: Coagulation/Filtration, Granular Activated Carbon, Lime softening and Reverse osmosis.

Ubiyca

Ubiyca

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think the problem with HFCS containing even traces of mercury is that it is in EVERYTHING and a average person's diet usually consumers a lot of it and the mercur would build up over time. The difference for fish would be you could just avoid it and few people eat fish for every meal of everyday. Just one thought.
Exactly, great point sir.

Fish is fish.. but this is a product which will be mass produced in many different items, do we really need that extra poison in our system?

Ubiyca

Ubiyca

Banned
Awards
  • Established
theres mercury in your drinking water.
There's mercury in the econo light bulbs.. if you break them, you have to call poison control and evacuate the room.. did you know?

By the way, there's fluoride in water put there by design, nazi style, but please let's not even get into that mess.. ugh

Boris

Awards
So the level found in HFCS at maximum is still less than what was found to be acceptable levels in fish.
I suspect that the acceptable level in fish is based on the assumption that people will not eat excessive quantities of fish, and that they will not consume any other significant source of mercury. A total mercury consumption of 0.3mg per day is known to be sufficient to cause toxicity. If you consume a 100g tin of fish with mercury present at the FDA limit of 1ppm, you will consume 0.1mg of mercury per day. A "tolerable" level of mercury intake is considered to be 0.3mg per week, so you can only afford to consume 3 tins of fish a week even if you have no other source of mercury in your diet.

To understand whether the concentrations found in HFCS are of concern, we would also need to know what quantity of HFCS people typically consume each day. 1ppm in something you drink several litres of each day would clearly be completely different to 1ppm in something you only consume a few hundred grams of each week.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
HELLO.. MERCURY.... You want studies? It has high levels of MERCURY.. the end.
I know. I saw that. Its in the first sentence of this post. I was referring to the blogger who, seemingly so full of information, had no studies or citations. Particularly the two parts about about switching up his patients diets and having a 15% weight loss, and the claim that its toxic to the liver. I wasn't talking about toxins brought about by manufacturing, I was talking about the kind of effect a chemically modified HFCS starch chain has on the body on itself.

It is without a doubt that the FDA has made mistakes in the past, but the FDA is also one of the most underfunded, overworked organizations in government. Protecting the food supply of an entire nation isn't exactly easy, especially considering so much of our supply is imported and manufactured from countries where they do not have as strict GMP's as we do in the U.S.

Shatter

Shatter

Awards
It is without a doubt that the FDA has made mistakes in the past, but the FDA is also one of the most underfunded, overworked organizations in government. Protecting the food supply of an entire nation isn't exactly easy, especially considering so much of our supply is imported and manufactured from countries where they do not have as strict GMP's as we do in the U.S.
I'm not American and I can't claim to know the inner-workings of the FDA but it was my impression that the standards were low or not well enforced. I understand that 'dietary supplements' and 'food' are probably assessed under different regulations but I've seen a ridiculous amount of supplements fail label claims. The safety and efficiacy of supplements do not really seem to be questioned before they go to market either. I've seen a lot of supplements/proteins etc that would never be allowed to go to market in Australia - albeit, we are pretty high up the global chain in regulations.

PublicEnemy

PublicEnemy

Awards
  • Established
I'm not American and I can't claim to know the inner-workings of the FDA but it was my impression that the standards were low or not well enforced. I understand that 'dietary supplements' and 'food' are probably assessed under different regulations but I've seen a ridiculous amount of supplements fail label claims. The safety and efficiacy of supplements do not really seem to be questioned before they go to market either. I've seen a lot of supplements/proteins etc that would never be allowed to go to market in Australia - albeit, we are pretty high up the global chain in regulations.
It's not so much standards with the FDA as it is enforcement, really the funding they have isn't large to regulate much of the anything. Because of that, they usually end up doing damage control instead of prevention because they are not usually ahead of the game.

At the same time its also a double edged sword. While there are public health concerns, there have been benefits to the supplement industry. While the DSHEA of 1994 outlawed some of "classic" prohormones/DS/whatever you want to call them, it also put the burden of proof on the FDA, which is already overworked and underfunded, to identify which supplements and advertising claims were fraudulant and/or dangerous and pull them from the market.

I'm of the opinion that if the FDA got its act together and became better funded, there would be quite the crackdown on a lot of the anabolics that have come to the market.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That is the whole problem though. People want safety, but also want the freedom to do whatever they want to their bodies. There really isn't an intersection of those two groups, so the FDA is faced with a damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Cigarettes, alchohol, etc are the best examples of this.