Health From The Sea PFO (fish oil)

purebred

i recently bought a bottle of liquid fish oil at my local whole foods supermarket and tonight i took my first servings. gotta say: I've never tasted other brands of liquid fish oil and the one i bought comes with an orange citrus taste but it was virtually tasteless to me. I've gone through a lot of research and articles that have pointed out some of the benefits of omega 3's so i was hoping on making a good investment in my health and I'm glad i did.

here's the nutritional breakdown per tsp:

1 tsp contains:
fish oil - 4360mg
Omega-3 EPA: 715mg
Omega-3 DHA: 470mg

i took 1 tbsp tonight. looking into higher dosing in the near future. need a job to feed my desire to invest in my health though!:laugh: i'm really satisfied with this product though and would recommend it.

i haven't been able to come across any empirical evidence that indicates high dosing of omega 3's is beneficial or even necessary for that matter. most of the research i've seen shows several grams gets the job done just fine. can anyone help me out with this?

what brands of fish oil do you folks out there prefer and why?

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
As long as its fish oil and cod liver oil, you dont really have to worry about Vit A toxicity luckily. I stick with http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/nutraplanet/omega-3-1000-capsules.html , it actually comes out cheaper than the fish oil, and they're portable. We've got free shipping on everything until midnight :)

I have tried various liquid ones, but in the end just stick with the caps for convenience. For a good read on Omega-3's check out http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/75353-gr-easy-ejls.html . I would say shoot for 3g of EPA & DHA combined/day as a starting point.

jamescho79

Awards
any idea on the shelf life of the fish oil caps from np? I still got a bag from a year ago i havent got to

purebred

Steveoph-

good stuff bro! i'm going to be looking into this next time i need to get some! you are right. it DOES come out cheaper than fish oil.

how are the fish burps with this brand? do you freeze them?

BiggerGeek

Awards
Steveoph-

good stuff bro! i'm going to be looking into this next time i need to get some! you are right. it DOES come out cheaper than fish oil.

you dont get burps from liquid....just capsules.

I use this also. 2 tbsp/day. Good stuff

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
any idea on the shelf life of the fish oil caps from np? I still got a bag from a year ago i havent got to
Depends how they were stored; fridge or freezer is good for long term storage. They should still be fine as long as you didnt leave them out on the counter.
Steveoph-

I personally never get fish burps from the caps if I take them pre-meal, and most people dont notice any burps from the NP caps. There was a batch not too long ago that some noticed burps on, but usually there is nothing. Also putting the caps in the fridge reduces the chance of burps.

purebred

you dont get burps from liquid....just capsules
i was referring to the nutraplanet brand. sorry for not specifying.
I personally never get fish burps from the caps if I take them pre-meal, and most people dont notice any burps from the NP caps. There was a batch not too long ago that some noticed burps on, but usually there is nothing. Also putting the caps in the fridge reduces the chance of burps.
i've taken some fish oil caps in the past and i've had some nasty experiences and that was considering i tried everything to wash it down with: apple juice, water, grape juice, orange juice..

is it necessary for molecular distillation anymore than once? i've been told it's best if the fish oil has gone through triple molecular distillation.
i'm guessing it means it's been molecularly distilled three times?

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
i recently bought a bottle of liquid fish oil at my local whole foods supermarket and tonight i took my first servings. gotta say: I've never tasted other brands of liquid fish oil and the one i bought comes with an orange citrus taste but it was virtually tasteless to me. I've gone through a lot of research and articles that have pointed out some of the benefits of omega 3's so i was hoping on making a good investment in my health and I'm glad i did.

here's the nutritional breakdown per tsp:

1 tsp contains:
fish oil - 4360mg
Omega-3 EPA: 715mg
Omega-3 DHA: 470mg

i took 3 tbsp tonight. looking into higher dosing in the near future. need a job to feed my desire to invest in my health though!:laugh: i'm really satisfied with this product though and would recommend it.

i haven't been able to come across any empirical evidence that indicates high dosing of omega 3's is beneficial or even necessary for that matter. most of the research i've seen shows several grams gets the job done just fine. can anyone help me out with this?

what brands of fish oil do you folks out there prefer and why?
Good friend of mine uses this brand and swears by it. I'm partial to Animal Omega myself.

purebred

i was just going through one of the high dosage fish oil logs on here and one of the posts made me realize something: it's going to be much easier to commit to a high dosage fish oil regimen if i'm going with the liquid. the capsules will come in handy if i'm on the road and such but i took 1 tbsp today and it was an extremely easy task. charles poliquin advocates 3 tbsp a day, something i see very feasible. i'll be sticking with 1 tbsp nightly for the meantime until megadosing fits into my budget.