Effects of too much glutamine?

Aitaronz

Awards
Having used the search button, like a good little newbie, I can see how much... um... "discussion" shall we say, there is surrounding glutamine. :D

To take or not to take, seems to have been the question of a multitude of threads, all of which end in bickering.

This being the case, I'm reluctant to start yet another one, but I want an answer to my question! So let me first state my impartiality... I am taking glutamine because it comes in my protein shakes - not because I have an opinion on its worth one way or another!

Now - the question...

I recently discovered that Leppin's "PRO4 Protein Matrix" ( :rolleyes: ) which I use as a MRP has 8g glutamine per serve. Yippee, I thought - until I realised that two or three serves of it would put me at 16-24g each day.

And that's before I count my post-workout protein, which also contains glutamine... So another 5g on top of that brings me to a total of 21-29g of glutamine each day!

Now, I'm not absolutely convinced that Leppin have got it right - although they mention glutamine as an ingedient on the container, the only place they've given the actual amount is in the blurb on their website... I would have thought if it really contained that much glutamine, they'd have been promoting that fact like crazy!

So I've sent them an email, asking them to clarify this - no response as yet.

But IF their website is correct, that would give me a LOT of glutamine each day! Does anyone know how much is too much, and if there are any problems with such an overdose?

sifu

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You won't overdose on it. If you have extra you will just excrete it in your urine.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not urine. Its more through bowel movements and gas. Its the same reaciton you will get when taking in too much fast acting protein.

Aitaronz

Awards
Well, that doesn't sound too bad...

The guy at my supplements store (and I think he's generally pretty clued up) was saying he thought too much glutamine could increase your ammonia levels.

But no-one's heard of this happening, then?

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
If it comes with your MRP , then by all means is not bad . Glutamine is an essential amino acid. Anything that isn't used by the body will be exreted, although a lot of it is used in the gut and cells of the intestine walls. Might help you with recovery in the long term.

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
Amonia? I don't think so. Amonia is a byproduct excreted from protein but from glutamine , idon't think so

Aitaronz

Awards
Well, after extensive searching, I've discovered that 4g of glutamine a day can help cure irritable bowel syndrome. (http://www.lihealth.com/_supp.htm#glutamine)

Not immediately useful to me, perhaps, but I'll bear it in mind... :)

The other useful page I found was http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/9971/glutamine.html
It summarises the studies done on glutamine, and would seem to be fairly impartial. It says disadvantages include:
* Research has indicated that glutamine supplementation is safe for humans (21). However, there is little data regarding long-term usage (more than a few weeks) of glutamine supplements Furthermore, more research needs to be conducted to investigate the safety of glutamine supplementation at doses that are posited to promote nitrogen retention in the muscles.
* Generally speaking, the consumption of any one, single amino acid in large doses may inhibit the absorption of other amino acids since amino acids (basic and neutral amino acids) tend to compete for transport across the intestinal epithelium. However, a study performed by Dechelotte et al. reported that glutamine is absorbed effectively in the small intestine (22).
* The consumption of large doses of free amino acids may result in intestinal discomfort (e.g. abdominal pains and diarrhea) due to the electrolyte-like properties of the amino-acids.
No mention of it increasing ammonia levels, or the RDI for glutamine, though... Does anyone know this?

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Didn't make a difference for me at 30 grams while cutting. Felt like I was robbed.

Aitaronz

Awards
What were you expecting to see, IronWarrior? Or rather, what didn't you see?

I got a reply from Leppin the other day. This is how the conversation went, in case anyone's interested...

Hi there -

I notice that you say "PRO4 has 8 grams of Glutamine per serve with added BCAA's." This seems like an lot of glutamine - is it correct?!

Yes based on what each protein (whey concentrate/isolate/casinate/ablbimum) contains

Since I'm taking 2-3 serves per day, would this be too much glutamine? I was under the impression that if you took over ~12g, the body started producing ammonia.

That will be fine, some rugby players are using up to 20 gms a day, it really depeands on what you are training for ?

I'm bodybuilding frantically for a competition next year!

By the time I've had 2-3 servs of PRO4, plus a post-workout protein, I'd be getting up to 29g glutamine a day... This does seem like an awful lot - do you know of any problems with taking so much?

Its similar to what i consume but i use a mix of our Ultimate whey and Pro-4 protein so am getting about 20-30 gms a day over the space of 3-4 meals from shakes........no noticelabe side effects other than my recovery seems to be a bit better ?
This doesn't prove an awful lot one way or another, but I thought you guys might be interested. :)

Blindfaith

Awards
there is a huge debate over at bb.com about glutamine being a shite product...whart are your thoughts on that?

shadow warrior

Awards
Glutamic acid has the ability to absorb ammonia and convert it to the buffer glutamine. Low levels of glutamine=low levels of glutamic acid. So in essence it will help reduce levels of ammonia.

dito

Awards
  • Established
Amonia? I don't think so. Amonia is a byproduct excreted from protein but from glutamine , idon't think so

Glutamic acid has the ability to absorb ammonia and convert it to the buffer glutamine. Low levels of glutamine=low levels of glutamic acid. So in essence it will help reduce levels of ammonia.
I had read or misread it in a book. Let me see if I still have the book and I will try to find it. Tonight or tomorrow.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Blindfaith
there is a huge debate over at bb.com about glutamine being a shite product...whart are your thoughts on that?
Saw that, Layne's thread...... interesting. It just further cements the idea that additional glutamine supplementation is a waste of coin.

I had to sift through about 20 posts of Benz and Bobo's BS to find some relevant info, but eventually I found a study or two in there :eek: ;) :D

dito

Awards
  • Established
I had read or misread it in a book. Let me see if I still have the book and I will try to find it. Tonight or tomorrow.
Yep I had misread it.:eek: It did say a side effect was consipation though.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
What were you expecting to see, IronWarrior? Or rather, what didn't you see?

It did not help me preserve any more muscle mass while cutting compared to cutting without glutamine. I used it for almost 2 months. Boy I was much dumber back then

Toneyfan

Awards
Damn, I take in 45 grams of glutamine a day and am noticing extremely good results while cutting. I never even thought twice that this could lead to problems...i'm still not convinced 45 grams a day will, though! :confused:

DoctorX2k2

Awards
Damn, I take in 45 grams of glutamine a day and am noticing extremely good results while cutting. I never even thought twice that this could lead to problems...i'm still not convinced 45 grams a day will, though! :confused:
The question is... does it make any difference? I get pretty good results from eating though :D