Supplements for a college student.. - AnabolicMinds.com

Supplements for a college student..

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  219 lbs.

Supplements for a college student..

Hey everyone I have been lurking these forums for a while pretty much just taking everything in and now I feel it time to take the opportunity to posit a few questions that I have developed over the course of the past few months regarding different supplements.

I am currently a 20 year old college student with about 5 years of weight training experience during which time I tried a few different supplements including creatine, nitrix (which was kind of a joke), and a basic GNC amino acid supplement-- so basically, nothing very serious... just focusing mainly on diet. During the past few months there have been several products posted here that have come to my attention and now I am wondering which would exactly be the best for me.

As of now I do not play any serious sports (I played football and track through high school), although I may try to walk onto the track team next year to throw shotput and/or discus at my university, so I am obviously trying to gain as much muscle mass as possible in the mean time. I am currently 6'4'' 215lbs.

Now onto the supplements..

As of now I am taking:
    • a basic multivitamin (GNC's mega man brand)

• whey protein

• Amino 1000 from GNC

• and your basic fish oil 2-3 caps/ day (trying to take more but still combat the fish burps)

(yeah I realize GNC is a ripoff and I will no longer be going there)

There have been several products posted here that have sparked an interest in me including the following:

RPM
    Clout
    Xtend
    Citrulline
    Cissus
    Somnidren GH
    and ZMK

Now what, if any, would you the community of this fine place recommend for a person like me, and what kind of insight can you shed on the aforementioned products, or an improvement on those that I am currently taking (ie. a better type of multi/amino acid)? Thanks and I appreciate any input.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.

Ive tried the cissius and it definately worked for joint repair. I also felt like my recovery was better while on this stuff. I have heard of people mega dosing this stuff to take advantage of its anabolic effect- they reported success. Unfortunately for me it caused some GI problems otherwise I definately would have kept with it and possibly tried the higher dosing.
  3. board observer

Something with creatine. Preferably just straight creatine monohydrate. Best bang for your buck supplement there is, by far.

Oh, and the fish burps will go away once your body gets use to them. For now just take them right before meals, that usually avoids them too.
    •   

4. New Member

If you are looking for a good amino acid supp I would recommend purple wrath. Much better than amino 1000 stuff and probably about the same price.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  219 lbs.

yeah purple wraath was another I was looking at and possibly considering, just forgot to mention it there. basically i am looking for a well rounded stack that all goes well together. Being in college and living off the meal plan, I am not exposed to as solid a diet as I wished. And the cissus I was considering maybe leaving out because I haven't had any joint or recovery issues thus far, but I included it anyways for consideration and to see what people think of it.

And for the fish oils, I have been taking them before going to bed as I found that to be the safest time to avoid the fish burps, but I'll try them before eating again see if that works
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.

You have a good program going, just keep it up! I take fish oil and magnesium caps 3 times a day an have not ever had problem burping it up... 1st with a protein shake in the am, 2nd with a protein shake before lifting and 3rd with a snack or shake before bed.
    what are you taking yours with?
  7. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Hey buddy I understand the college situation. Sucks you have a meal plan, the university usually doesn't have a lot of healthy choices. If they have a buffet they sometimes have food that can be good. What is your living situation? Dorms? Apartment?

As far as suppelments you have the right idea as the basics but I would suggest:

1. A cheaper Multi once you are out (MVP/Optimen/Adam etc)
    2. Xtend is a waaaay better BCAA product
    3. Fish oil caps (Put the capsules in the freezer and voila, no burps!)
    4. Get some creatine mono bulk
    5. RPM is great stuff and kicks a$$ preworkout.
    6. Somnidren and ZMK are both great supplements too look into for sleep and recovery.

What are your goals?
    Head Purus Labs Rep
    www.Puruslabs.net
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Stick with the basics:
    MV
    Xtend/BCAA
    Whey
    Fish Oil

Anything after that is gravy.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  219 lbs.

Firstly I appreciate your guys responses. Yeah unfortunately it's the dorm situation and with the meal plan my diet is a bit fubar. They have those buffets you are talking about maybe once or twice a week so I usually try and go for that when they have it.

So would Xtend be the best choice for BCAA then? And you would recommend the RPM (from what i've read around here it's one of the most solid preworkout supplements)? And as far as the Somnidren and ZMK I am a bit touchy with that area as I don't want to damage my sleep pattern at all. I did forget to mention that I currently take about 500mcg of melatonin before I go to sleep just for the fact that being a light sleeper and having a roommate don't always mix. Would somnidren and ZMK possibly be a safe substitute for the melatonin?

My goal, as simple as it sounds, is to pretty much get jacked. I am taking a Krav Maga class and will be taking either boxing or Muay Thai this summer and as I said earlier possibly walking on for the track team here at my university.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  173 lbs.

Have you looked into prime? Great stuff
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

shoot me a pm with your address and I will get some samples out to you. I am a college student as well. I live in an apartment/efficiency type deal so I have access to cook, but i still stick to my meal plan at school as much as possible. I know it sucks but its possible to eat semi-healthy.Here is what my diet looks like:

Meal 1- 4-6 hard boiled eggs, whey shake, grits/oatmeal
    meal 2- whey shake, Nature valley bars, 2 tablespoon coconut oil
    meal 3- 1 whole large sweet potato, 6 hard boil eggs, medium sized salad, wheat roll
    meal 4- protein shake, nature valley bar, 2 tblspn coconut oil
    meal 5- 1 large sweet potato, 4-6 hardboiled eggs, salad, roll, and a 6+ ounce form of meat
    meal 6- protein shake (no carb)

my protein shake is:

2 servings protein
    1 raw egg
    2 table spoon extra virgin Olive oil
    2 scoops ON glycomaize

Focus on getting a solid diet. That will yield greater gains than supplementation. Personally I didn't see ZMK being worth the money result wise. I typically don't get sore though. I would look into a solid creatine (Neovar Recomped, Cre-02, Clout). I have not yet tried MAN products, but I would love to because they are supposed to be pretty good. Also have a good profile. I would then go to add a Amino Acid supplement. Currently I am using Xtend, but I typically throw some glycomaize in with it during workout. Obviously a whey protein such as All They Whey, and a multivit as well. Then if you have any left over money grab some Fish oil.

I know its quite a bit of stuff, but ease into it... no need to blow money where it is not needed. Hit me up with any questions you may have and like I said earlier shoot me a pm with your address and I will get some samples of The Applied Nutriceuticals Line!

-Good luck, Tex
    - Join Me: Tex89 M-Sten RX Log... Dicing that iron -
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/222790-tex89s-msten-rx.html
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  219 lbs.

Thanks man. I am very curious to try new supps but still trying to be wary of what exactly I put into my body. Are there good stacks that most agree upon to be generally effective, or is it more a personal issue that varies from person to person? And yeah I am still looking more into prime maybe a possibly prime stack I don't know exactly yet or if I should stick to the basic MV, Whey, BCAA, and Fish Oil
  13. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.

I say stick with the basics for awhile until your begin to plateau and not see gains coming and THEN get the extra boost from the fancy stuff.

Creatine and even ZMK would fall into basics for me. ZMK is just minerals that can only help your overall health and performance.
    Head Purus Labs Rep
    www.Puruslabs.net
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy2D View Post
    Thanks man. I am very curious to try new supps but still trying to be wary of what exactly I put into my body. Are there good stacks that most agree upon to be generally effective, or is it more a personal issue that varies from person to person? And yeah I am still looking more into prime maybe a possibly prime stack I don't know exactly yet or if I should stick to the basic MV, Whey, BCAA, and Fish Oil
    Like others have said, Don't venture into the non necessary stuff till you get your bearings straight on your diet and basic supplementation. Stacks are the least of your worried and constitute the smallest percentage in terms of results ~10-20%. Also stacks are very dependent upon goals.

Once you get your bearings figured out you could try a test booster such as Sustain Alpha, Igf-2, t911, or an aromitase inhibitor.
  15. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  219 lbs.

yeah, i've spent the last several hours (more or less) considering this all heavily. I think that you are both right and that I am trying to rush into this too fast. At this point I will continue what I've been doing as well as purchase some more creatine.

A few more questions though..

I am all but sold on the ZMK but what do you all think about adding the Somnidren on top of that or in substitution for?

Also what are everyone's recommendations for green tea? I thought I remember reading somewhere on here that this is another good everyday supp to take
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

yeah, i've spent the last several hours (more or less) considering this all heavily. I think that you are both right and that I am trying to rush into this too fast. At this point I will continue what I've been doing as well as purchase some more creatine.

A few more questions though..

I am all but sold on the ZMK but what do you all think about adding the Somnidren on top of that or in substitution for?

Also what are everyone's recommendations for green tea? I thought I remember reading somewhere on here that this is another good everyday supp to take
    ZMK is a nice supplement, I have not personally used somnidren gh but its supposed to be pretty good in terms of sleep aid as well as recovery.

Green tea is great. I use green tea & white tea on a daily basis before bed
  17. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  219 lbs.

do you take it in capsule or a drink? any specific brands that you have come to enjoy over others? Also I am trying to get my post count to 7 so I can PM non-admins and ask you about those possible samples
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

do you take it in capsule or a drink? any specific brands that you have come to enjoy over others? Also I am trying to get my post count to 7 so I can PM non-admins and ask you about those possible samples
    You meant ZMK by Millenium Sports technology right? or did you mean ZMA as is b6, zinc, and magnesium?
  19. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  219 lbs.

oh I should have specified, yeah the ZMK by Millennium Sports but I was referring to the teas, sorry. I would think that a bottle of the capsules would have to be cheaper and more convenient for someone living in a dorm than a big case of the drinks
  20. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

oh I should have specified, yeah the ZMK by Millennium Sports but I was referring to the teas, sorry. I would think that a bottle of the capsules would have to be cheaper and more convenient for someone living in a dorm than a big case of the drinks
    yeah I personally drink it, not the caps... Not necessarily for the effects but moreso because it is relaxing for me before bed.
  21. Elite Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

If I was truly on a budget I would get a multi like Orange TRIad (which encompasses joint support, multi, etc) and Ragnarok (which has arginine, creatine, and a whole bunch of other good stuff.) I'd then pick up like ON 100% or some bulk protein from TP/ATW. NO need to get complicated, pick up a good multi, a good protein and a good all-in-one pre workout.
  22. board observer

Dude I thought you said you were in college? Buy some creatine, save the real cash for good tasting food and beer.
  23. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  219 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Moyer View Post
    Dude I thought you said you were in college? Buy some creatine, save the real cash for good tasting food and beer.
    haha that's pretty much what i've done for the past 16 months but unfortunately it isn't the healthiest of options. also let be if not already known that the only stuff people drink in college is cheap **** like natty and keystone light. Also I am still considering the somnidren and ZMK stack.. anyone care to share their opinion on this?
  24. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

haha that's pretty much what i've done for the past 16 months but unfortunately it isn't the healthiest of options. also let be if not already known that the only stuff people drink in college is cheap **** like natty and keystone light. Also I am still considering the somnidren and ZMK stack.. anyone care to share their opinion on this?
    How dare you speak badly of Keystone Light...

BLASPHEMY!!
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  25. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  219 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    How dare you speak badly of Keystone Light...

BLASPHEMY!!
    haha yeah i know that stuffs all the rage in texas but here in arizona it's alll natty light and popov vodka (13$ 1.75l plastic bottle)

Similar Forum Threads

1. College student going on a spending spree
    By austinfrench5 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-16-2010, 11:37 PM
  2. Protein for a broke college student
    By ammoarsenal in forum Supplements
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-19-2010, 07:11 PM
  3. College student HELP
    By Machwon1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 16