Mutli Vit 2x daily + ZMA too much zinc?

kprimm

kprimm

Awards
If I am taking a Mens One a day in the morning and at night, and ZMA, is there anyway that much zinc could cause side effects or long term problems?
Thanks

-Kerry

redemption79

Awards
  • Established
How much total zinc in mg are you ingesting through these per day? Zinc is a mineral that is pretty easy to overdose on.

itln stln

itln stln

Awards
The zinc doesn't bother me, but the extra magnesium from ZMA makes me run to the bathroom. Higher doses I think leads to the lack of absorption of other minerals like iron and copper.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
weight training increase the body's demand for minerals. I believe there are several studies showing the vast majority of weight training individuals are deficient in zinc, and the RDA is based on sedentary people.

I wouldn't stress it.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
You should be aware of vitamin A intake; do not overdose..

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
weight training increase the body's demand for minerals. I believe there are several studies showing the vast majority of weight training individuals are deficient in zinc, and the RDA is based on sedentary people.

I wouldn't stress it.
exactly right. i wouldn't worry about it either.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Ninjo

Ninjo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No, overdose on vitamin A can lead to vitamin poisoning...
Okay, not sure how it's relevant to this particular thread but I'll bite: what's considered a safe/recommended dose of Vitamin A per day?

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Okay, not sure how it's relevant to this particular thread but I'll bite: what's considered a safe/recommended dose of Vitamin A per day?
I mentioned this because I saw you mentioned you took multi 2x daily. Some shouldn't be taken twice daily. Daily recommended dose of vitamin A is roughly 3,000-5,000 UI. Consider also you get vitamin A from food sources as well.

Ninjo

Ninjo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I mentioned this because I saw you mentioned you took multi 2x daily. Some shouldn't be taken twice daily. Daily recommended dose of vitamin A is roughly 3,000-5,000 UI. Consider also you get vitamin A from food sources as well.
I believe it was the original poster that mentioned that. However, I do take two NOW Adam tabs per day which total 10,000 IU of Vitamin A per day (not counting what I get from food) and I've never had a problem.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I believe it was the original poster that mentioned that. However, I do take two NOW Adam tabs per day which total 10,000 IU of Vitamin A per day (not counting what I get from food) and I've never had a problem.
Everyone is different. I just thought I'd make a post so that the OP is aware, and that recommended doses are generally much lower than what the body can withstand without pathology.

kprimm

kprimm

Awards
the Mens one a day vitamin contains Vitamin A (14% as Beta-Carotene) 3500.0 IU per 1 pill. I took two today and was going to start taking two with ZMA in a week from now, is that a bad idea?

-Kerry

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
the Mens one a day vitamin contains Vitamin A (14% as Beta-Carotene) 3500.0 IU per 1 pill. I took two today and was going to start taking two with ZMA in a week from now, is that a bad idea?

-Kerry
Sorry, I'm not a doctor; however, my guess would be that it would be ok. It's just something to be aware of, it's not that if you overdose it will instantly kill you...

kprimm

kprimm

Awards
I am now taking 70mg of zinc daily between a men one a day's vitamin and ZMA, I was going to take two one-a-days but then I would be at 100mg of zinc a day and I don't want to chance going over the 'safe' zone, is this a good move? I dont know how much is border-line or not but I am 6'3 219 lbs taking 70 mg a day, is that too much?! Thanks

-Kerry

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I am now taking 70mg of zinc daily between a men one a day's vitamin and ZMA, I was going to take two one-a-days but then I would be at 100mg of zinc a day and I don't want to chance going over the 'safe' zone, is this a good move? I dont know how much is border-line or not but I am 6'3 219 lbs taking 70 mg a day, is that too much?! Thanks

-Kerry
You're a pretty big guy; I'm sure it would be ok. You could look up the signs and symptoms first, then try it and if you slightly notice them then back off on it...

Ninjo

Ninjo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

-Kerry
I'm currently 181 lbs. and between my 2 NOW Adam multis and my Zinc Picolinate supp, I'm up to 80mg/day with no problems.

DSMPOWERTSI

DSMPOWERTSI

Awards
You could always drop the ZMA dosage to 2 pills a day (assuming its a 3 cap serving) if your worried about it....at least you'd save a buck or two.