Supplements for 18 year old college bound football player

proudpops

Awards
My son will sign his national letter of intent papers to play football in college in a few weeks. He is currently 6'3" 195lbs and plays QB. He is starting the off-season lifting and has 4-5 months to put on 10-15 pounds (or more) of muscle. He is currently taking No Xplod before workouts, cell mass after and muscle milk 2x per day. I want to safely help him achieve his goals with proper supplementation. There's so much out there and the local guys at the nutrition stores want to sell us anything/everything they have. What products and regimen would you recommend? Thanks for your help!

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
Well I would switch up the Muscle Milk with some regular whey, ON or ATW is a good choice.
Also creatine mono would be good, drop the NO Xplode and Cellmass, you can get way better for cheaper.
If you want a good pre-workout get White Flood by Controlled Labs.
Also a good amino mix like Xtend or Purple Wraath is very beneficial.

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
How long has he been lifting?

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established
First switch I would make is the muscle milk to either ATW or TrueProtein - drop the NoXplode and Cellmass, there are hundreds of product that would better suffice - RPM, ZAP I could go all day - Look into Gaspari Size-On to replace CellMass(I havent used it and cant recomend it myself but I have seen good feedback) or Torrent.

And don't forget about the basics - Creatine (plain bulk mono would be fine) , Multi (NOW ADAM, Animal Pak), EFA's etc.

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established
Also, dare I say try out some PRIME? It's non-hormonal and works wonders for some, does nothing for others, and is fairly expensive to run, kinda hit or miss I guess.

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
If he's 18 and has good lifting experience why not try mass-fx or dth?

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tell him to read http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/86088-neoborn-s-where.html
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/99607-gaining-mass-nutshell.html , or you can read them for him :)

Staples: Whey (Best value & taste ) , Creatine (Monohydrate works , and is $13/kg), Fish Oils (10/day of the 180/120 EPA/DHA is a good starting point), Good Multi (I like ADAM ), ZMA ( Best Value . To put on mass he needs to expend more cals; a great source of fats that I personally swear by are Coconut Oil , boosts thyroid, metabolism, positively linked with test levels, and I find it gives me more energy. I like 1 Tbsp pre-bed, and elsewhere as needed. You might want to get him to take some casein pre-bed, either cottage cheese or something like ON's Casein .

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Where's he playing for?

Also - EAT EAT EAT and EAT some more. I gained a fair amount of muscle while I was in college when I got serious about eating and eating better.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
in season:
whey
multi
ZMA

off season:
whey
creatine
multi
zma

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
eat, eat, and eat so more, Whey protein cheap with high amount of protein any brand really many different kinds, some cheap creatine mono, drop the cell mass and no-xplod, white flood, purple wrath and green mag are good one, lift between 8-10 reps per set and hit em hard, make sure to focus on the compound lifts and hit them all, bench squat, deads, close grip bench, barbell curls the works and after all this eat some more lean mean (tuna, turkey, chicken) and peanut butter is also good, get some fruits apples, bannas gota stay healthy and bannas are really good with the potassium in them, and some nuts i like smoked almonds and cashews, but for a sweet tooth honey nut roasted peanuts are my fave hope this helps

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'd stick with the Muscle MIlk, it should be fine for an active kid his age.

I'd use CRE-02 instead of the No-Xplode and Cell Mass. It will do more for his power and endurance, as well as anti-oxidant protection.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tell him to read http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/86088-neoborn-s-where.html
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/99607-gaining-mass-nutshell.html , or you can read them for him :)

Staples: Whey (Best value & taste ) , Creatine (Monohydrate works , and is $13/kg), Fish Oils (10/day of the 180/120 EPA/DHA is a good starting point), Good Multi (I like ADAM ), ZMA ( Best Value . To put on mass he needs to expend more cals; a great source of fats that I personally swear by are Coconut Oil , boosts thyroid, metabolism, positively linked with test levels, and I find it gives me more energy. I like 1 Tbsp pre-bed, and elsewhere as needed. You might want to get him to take some casein pre-bed, either cottage cheese or something like ON's Casein .
This^^^^^

Keep it simple and just have him eat a ton. Maybe add something like Poseidon for some better hydration as i kno it helped me even if i was only a HS athlete compared to probably higher demands of a collegiate athlete.

Tell him good luck on his season!

Lurk

Lurk

Awards
I'll echo what has been said, with a twist. Protien (whey plus casein for pre-bed), creatine, BCAA's, fish oil and a multi should be all he needs supp-wise.

As far as the eat-eat-eat mantra, it's absolutely true, but try to get him to understand the principles of nutrition timing and protien/carb/fat ratio's. Pre and post workout nutrition is vital, and when done right will really make a difference. A lifelong hard-gainer, I gained a solid 15lbs one winter at 35 years old after I learned HOW to eat. Now, at 41 I'm in the best shape of my life and still growing. He's 6'3", if he has a good frame he will grow like a weed.

BTW, you came to the right place. I lurked here forever and finally found religion. Kudo's to you for being involved and doing what your doing to get him where he needs to be. Good luck.

mxmatt15

mxmatt15

Awards
  • Established
not to burst your bubble but theres no way in hell that hes gonna gain 10-15lbs of lean muscle in 4-5 months......unless u juice. your body can only produce ~1.5 of muscle a month and thats will a really good diet and hard training i would say 8lbs at best

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
not to burst your bubble but theres no way in hell that hes gonna gain 10-15lbs of lean muscle in 4-5 months......unless u juice. your body can only produce ~1.5 of muscle a month and thats will a really good diet and hard training i would say 8lbs at best
Are you serious???? man you might wanna rethink your source of knowledge before you start throwin out info... :wtf:

cjbadboy

Awards
As a former CFB QB i have always wished i could of had some SUper Cissus for my throwing shoulder and elbow joint. I would also look into something like DTH or Mass FX for strength and weight gains. And for muscle endurance an quickness look into cordyceps products like Anabolic Edge..he needs to remember that he is a QB and while its important to bulk up so he can take the physical beating of D1 ball it is absolutely paramount that he keeps and improves he speed and quickness which will translate into better footwork and more success

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
shows how much you know
And you at 5'10 155 are sure to be a vast wealth of nutritional information.
Arent you the same person that said powerfull and m-stak contain human growth hormone?lol

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
Arent you the same person that said powerfull and m-stak contain human growth hormone?lol
Hey! Don't hate on us skinny people, lol. :numbered:

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
My bad. Im not hatin on ecto's...I just think its possible to gain more than 1.5 pounds a month...sorry bro.lol

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
My bad. Im not hatin on ecto's...I just think its possible to gain more than 1.5 pounds a month...sorry bro.lol
I know what you're saying and I completely agree. What is the concensus? Almost a pound a week is possible under good to flawless conditions? I think a lot of people when they read a pound a week, are looking at one muscle group and going "no way can I gain a pound in my arms in a week.". Should be realized the weight gain is throughout the entire muscular system if training whole body throughout the week.

mxmatt15

mxmatt15

Awards
  • Established
well then i guess u must be smarter than my doctor. and i never said that m stak contains gh but that it increases it, apparently u must of misunderstood me. wouldnt want to insult ur HUGE brain

Esox Express

Esox Express

Awards
  • Established
well then i guess u must be smarter than my doctor. and i never said that m stak contains gh but that it increases it, apparently u must of misunderstood me. wouldnt want to insult ur HUGE brain
dude, quit being a prick

trojanfan1

Awards
I would have him get a stack of the following products. Prime by usp labs, Anabolic pump by usp labs, muscle milk collegiate by cytosport, and animal pak for multivitamin. This stack would not have him fail any drugtest and should put some good weight on him.

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
No you said that it contains it so dont even try to lie about it. Also, I believe my brain is normal size but what you said is a very broad statement and I'm sure that there is someone walking around this planet that can gain more than 2 pounds of muscle in one month.

mxmatt15

mxmatt15

Awards
  • Established
No you said that it contains it so dont even try to lie about it. Also, I believe my brain is normal size but what you said is a very broad statement and I'm sure that there is someone walking around this planet that can gain more than 2 pounds of muscle in one month.
i dont have anything to lie about, and dont tell me what i meant to say. And it says non hormonal i dont see how I could get mixed up. I deff agree that there is someone that can gain more than 2lbs and those people have godly genes.

pantherdude63

pantherdude63

Awards
  • Established
i dont have anything to lie about, and dont tell me what i meant to say. And it says non hormonal i dont see how I could get mixed up. I deff agree that there is someone that can gain more than 2lbs and those people have godly genes.[/QUOTE

I wasnt telling you what you meant to say because you kinda said it. But I dont have the time to have a little internet "fight" with you cuz im tired. Peace.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I thought we were trying to help out a college player here?

As far as your doctor being wrong. Let me say this. I was a part of a nutritional "experiment" where we would log meals every other week, give a rough calorie intake, etc, etc. The study lasted for 6 months and then we had a meeting 6 months after. So from the point I started the study until the last meeting we had a year apart.

During this time I never juiced, no prohormone, no nothing. Just good old nutrition, staples, working out, taking a few boosters, stuff like DTH, ALA, Activa Xtreme, amongst others.

Long story short. At the beggining of the study I weighted in at 190lbs. At the end my weight was 245. Granted, I went from a 13% BF to a 20% BF. So from 165 lean weight to 196. I may not be a math genius but that's 31lbs in 12 months. A little above 1.5lbs a month. And during this time I had about 3 cutting periods as well.

And all of this while working a full time job and working on my masters, while being 23 years of age.

So forgive me if I think that a testosterone packed 18 year old COLLEGE ATHLETE could actually achieve 10-15lbs in a season of workout... He wouldn't have to worry about work, school or whatever, only how to build his body for challenges ahead. And shall we add that depending on the position (QB in particular) he will not need to go for a "clean bulk" unless he's a scrambler. He may as well put on a few more lbs of fat that will also help him out in the position, help in his durability, ability to shake tacklers and increase his overall strength.

So his goals are, in fact, very doable. Specially if he put in a good effort and have a good nutrition to go along with it. And I don't think I have much to add here as far as what he'd need, just creatine, pre workout supplement, ALA, Chromim Picolinate, some Cissus for his joints, a multivitamin, protein and carb powder, etc.

Good luck to you guys.

mxmatt15

mxmatt15

Awards
  • Established
I thought we were trying to help out a college player here?

As far as your doctor being wrong. Let me say this. I was a part of a nutritional "experiment" where we would log meals every other week, give a rough calorie intake, etc, etc. The study lasted for 6 months and then we had a meeting 6 months after. So from the point I started the study until the last meeting we had a year apart.

During this time I never juiced, no prohormone, no nothing. Just good old nutrition, staples, working out, taking a few boosters, stuff like DTH, ALA, Activa Xtreme, amongst others.

Long story short. At the beggining of the study I weighted in at 190lbs. At the end my weight was 245. Granted, I went from a 13% BF to a 20% BF. So from 165 lean weight to 196. I may not be a math genius but that's 31lbs in 12 months. A little above 1.5lbs a month. And during this time I had about 3 cutting periods as well.

And all of this while working a full time job and working on my masters, while being 23 years of age.

So forgive me if I think that a testosterone packed 18 year old COLLEGE ATHLETE could actually achieve 10-15lbs in a season of workout... He wouldn't have to worry about work, school or whatever, only how to build his body for challenges ahead. And shall we add that depending on the position (QB in particular) he will not need to go for a "clean bulk" unless he's a scrambler. He may as well put on a few more lbs of fat that will also help him out in the position, help in his durability, ability to shake tacklers and increase his overall strength.

So his goals are, in fact, very doable. Specially if he put in a good effort and have a good nutrition to go along with it. And I don't think I have much to add here as far as what he'd need, just creatine, pre workout supplement, ALA, Chromim Picolinate, some Cissus for his joints, a multivitamin, protein and carb powder, etc.

Good luck to you guys.
not even gonna bother

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
I think at his age and height, he could easily put on an additional 10-15 pounds in 4-5 months.

I weighed 180 pounds at the end of Sept 08 and I weigh 200 pounds now. That's 20 pounds in 4 months and I am pretty lean. I had a lot to fill in on my frame, so obviously I don't expect to continue to gain this quickly. I don't use any hormonal products and I haven't used steroids. I don't think my genetics are any better than the average guy, the difference is that I have busted my ass since September. If he is committed to doing it, it can be done.

Point is, if you train hard and get good, clean calories then you can definitely put quality weight on rather quickly -- especially if your body has room to fill out. Basically you have to work hard and not be a pussy about it.

Keep in mind that I focus especially on my leg and back routine. A big part of why I managed to gain so quickly is because I don't skimp on doing heavy squats and deadlifts. So many people complain about not being able to put on weight when they don't even do the two lifts that are best for packing on mass and width. Again, you can't be a pussy about it and expect big gains.

My 2 cents. Peace.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Food is obviously top priority and supplements will just assist. Id spend my money on a top strength coach i my area to help me get ready for the next level. I think this would be better than anythign you could do for him.

Some really good supplements that I recommend for football would be:

RPM/Drive combo
Creatine - Definitely check out CreO2 for power and endurance.
Multivitamin/Mineral - MVP/ZMK is one of the best combos
Cissus definitely for the joints.
At 18 a test booster would be very last on my list.

crazilyfter42

Awards
If your son is going to play college football trust me they will put weight on him. They will have him on a great lifting program and eating like a champ. Be careful what he takes because many "supplements" that arent necessarily illegal are banned in college sports. In the mean time to help him put weight on before training camp you could use protein powder, BCAAs, creatine mono, and beta alanine. All this can be bought in bulk on the internet so there really isnt a need for any fancy brand name products. At his age he should have no problem gaining weight as long as his diet is in check, that is the most important thing. So if I were you I would not worry much about supplementation and worry more about what type and amount of foods he is taking in.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lol at the derailment of this thread :lol:

i agree with bla55 tho and this isn't really helping the Original poster..

anything else we can help you with OP?

proudpops

Awards
Wow, thank you all for the great advice. There are a lot of awesome people on this site. Definitely stirred up some unexpected debate on possible gains. I am happy to report that he finished the season at 190lbs and he weighed in yesterday at 205lbs and he is as lean as ever! He has been busting his butt at the gym on an alternating day push (chest, shoulders, triceps) / pull (back, biceps, legs) with core work at school in the morning. Supplement wise he's taking Whey (Gold Standard), Casein (Gold Standard) and ZMA at night before bed, Super EPA and Megasport Multi-vitamin in the morning, and Incarnate from Palo Alto Labs pre and post workout. It's all good and I think it's mostly the hard work in the gym that is paying off. He is up 20-30 lbs on every exercise from where he started. He feels great and has never been more motivated. Thanks again for all of the advice. I'll keep you posted as he progresses.