Any Know of a cheap gluten free whey protein powder, that is gluten free?

  1. Registered User
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,319
    Answers
    0

    Any Know of a cheap gluten free whey protein powder, that is gluten free?


    I'm looking for whey protein that is gluten free and just whey, with nothing added. I'd like to be able to buy atleast a 3lb container.

  2. Registered User
    ozarkaBRAND's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4,279
    Answers
    0


    Pea Protein Isolate I believe.

    oops, you said just whey. My bad.
  3. Board Supporter
    metroba's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,064
    Answers
    0


    ahh yes gluten free...are you celiac? I am..if so

    Some good choices:
    Pro Nos
    Proto whey

    there are some others I cant remember but Ill look it up and get this updated
    Body Performance Solutions
    Home: http://bpsnutrition.net/
    Facebook: @Body Performance Solutions
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,319
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by metroba View Post
    ahh yes gluten free...are you celiac? I am..if so

    Some good choices:
    Pro Nos
    Proto whey

    there are some others I cant remember but Ill look it up and get this updated
    Thank you. No, I'm not a celiac, I'm just really sensitive to msg. I try to get as much gluten free products as I can. Although I have been having bad reactions to oat meal and shredded wheat lately, so I dont know. Other things with gluten I can eat just fine though.
  5. Board Supporter
    metroba's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,064
    Answers
    0


    sounds like you are gluten intolerant...not the same thing as celiac. Celiac is a gluten allergy. With gluten intolerance you just need to watch the amount you consume..Ill see what else I can find for ya
    Body Performance Solutions
    Home: http://bpsnutrition.net/
    Facebook: @Body Performance Solutions
  6. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,524
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkaBRAND View Post
    Pea Protein Isolate I believe.

    oops, you said just whey. My bad.
    Still a worthy reply; he may not be aware of Gemma/Pea based protein.
  7. dpfisher
    Guest
    dpfisher's Avatar


    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Thank you. No, I'm not a celiac, I'm just really sensitive to msg. I try to get as much gluten free products as I can. Although I have been having bad reactions to oat meal and shredded wheat lately, so I dont know. Other things with gluten I can eat just fine though.
    I didn't know msg had anything to do with gluten, is that usually the case?
  8. Board Supporter
    metroba's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,064
    Answers
    0


    Mono sodium Glutamate(from gluten) common misconception
    Body Performance Solutions
    Home: http://bpsnutrition.net/
    Facebook: @Body Performance Solutions
  9. Gold Member
    BodyWizard's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    62
    Posts
    2,378
    Answers
    0


    I think you're laboring under a misconception, Mr. OP: Whey is made from milk, not wheat; it contains glutamine, but not gluten.

    Some gluten-avoiders also suffer from lactose-intolerance...and some whey products have *substantially* more lactose than others - and should probably be avoided by you. Fortunately, it'll be right there on the label.
  10. Board Supporter
    metroba's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,064
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by BodyWizard View Post
    I think you're laboring under a misconception, Mr. OP: Whey is made from milk, not wheat; it contains glutamine, but not gluten.

    Some gluten-avoiders also suffer from lactose-intolerance...and some whey products have *substantially* more lactose than others - and should probably be avoided by you. Fortunately, it'll be right there on the label.
    Good post...to elaborate on the lactose intolerance with gluten intolerance - when you have gluten intolerance, you kill off your villi in your intestines which plays a major part in digesting lactose. So stay gluten free or to just at a minimum will keep you from having these probs.
    Body Performance Solutions
    Home: http://bpsnutrition.net/
    Facebook: @Body Performance Solutions
  11. Registered User
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,319
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by metroba View Post
    Good post...to elaborate on the lactose intolerance with gluten intolerance - when you have gluten intolerance, you kill off your villi in your intestines which plays a major part in digesting lactose. So stay gluten free or to just at a minimum will keep you from having these probs.
    I don't react at all to milk and I drink whole milk about 3 times a day. I just know I've been having problems lately with oat meal and shredded wheat, which should be MSG free. I've had oat meal and shredded wheat for years and never had a problem.
  12. Registered User
    Lacradocious's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    34
    Posts
    387
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Thank you. No, I'm not a celiac, I'm just really sensitive to msg. I try to get as much gluten free products as I can. Although I have been having bad reactions to oat meal and shredded wheat lately, so I dont know. Other things with gluten I can eat just fine though.
    If you want to avoid MSG, then don't buy any protein containing Hydrolized Protein. MSG is produced when protein is hydrolized. Natural flavorings have some MSG as well. Your best bet is to avoid MSG is to buy unflavored, pure whey isolate. All The Whey sells it on their website, and I hope Nutraplanet picks it up.

    If you are sensitive to gluten, you might try taking a digestive enzyme's and/ or digestive pro-biotics. NOW Foods has this and you might try Gut Health. I imagine that would at least make gluten a bit more tolerable.
  13. Gold Member
    BodyWizard's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    62
    Posts
    2,378
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    I don't react at all to milk and I drink whole milk about 3 times a day. I just know I've been having problems lately with oat meal and shredded wheat, which should be MSG free. I've had oat meal and shredded wheat for years and never had a problem.
    Have you consulted a doctor about this? Confusing gluten, glutamate & MSG strongly implies you need a professional opinion and specific dietary recommendations.

    We're a smart bunch o' folks, but we're not gonna to diagnose you or presrcribe treatment, so - get thee to a doctory!
  14. Registered User
    RenegadeRows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,672
    Answers
    0


    Nectar is gluten free.

    Had a gf who was celiac, she used to use that product.
  15. Board Supporter
    metroba's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,064
    Answers
    0


    Niiice!! Thanks for the idea RR!
    Body Performance Solutions
    Home: http://bpsnutrition.net/
    Facebook: @Body Performance Solutions
  16. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,524
    Answers
    0


    http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/s...tein-2-lb.html . The Apple & Kiwi samples didnt blow me away, but they were OK.
  17. Registered User
    redemption79's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    35
    Posts
    343
    Answers
    0


    I'm pretty sure Iron-Tek is gluten-free and printed on the label. If you haven't been tested for celiac you can't be sure. My sister went years with stomach problems (and years ingesting gluten) until she was diagnosed. Once she got her diet clean she became more sensitive to it.
  18. Gold Member
    BodyWizard's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Age
    62
    Posts
    2,378
    Answers
    0


    Just to remind:
    THERE IS NO GLUTEN IN WHEY - ANY WHEY
    ...unless some 'entrepreneur' chooses to add it.
  19. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    michael3435's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    69
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Thank you. No, I'm not a celiac, I'm just really sensitive to msg. I try to get as much gluten free products as I can. Although I have been having bad reactions to oat meal and shredded wheat lately, so I dont know. Other things with gluten I can eat just fine though.
    hey, have you ever tried hydrolyzed whey? just curious

    what type of protein have you tried that you cant tolerate?
  20. Registered User
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,319
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by michael3435 View Post
    hey, have you ever tried hydrolyzed whey? just curious

    what type of protein have you tried that you cant tolerate?
    I did find some from whole foods, that is working. Unfortunately servings per container are only 15 :/. It nice though ingredients whey protein isolate, xanthan gum, natural vanilla flavor, lecithin. i was looking for unflavored, but this is good. Like I said though only 15 servings. I like that it doesn't have a **** load of ingredients though.
  21. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    poison's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,904
    Answers
    0


    My goodness, good thing Body Wizard stepped in and put an end to the 'whey has gluten' thoughts.

    I grew up allergic to white wheat flour and milk; still allergic to milk products. It's not lactose, but some undetermined component of the milk. I pound whey and casein all day long.
  22. Registered User
    vinnyvins's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by BodyWizard View Post
    Just to remind:
    THERE IS NO GLUTEN IN WHEY - ANY WHEY
    ...unless some 'entrepreneur' chooses to add it.
    Most whey protein contains malted milk powder which in fact contains 5000 ppm gluten, so in fact, a lot of protein powders on the market do contain gluten. Personally, I found out that I have celiac when all efforts to control acne on the neck, chest, and back failed and once I went gluten free my skin cleared up within 10 days or so. Since being gluten free 4 years ago, I have become less tolerant when gluten is accidentally consumed. Doctors are still learning new things about the gluten protein, where it comes from, and how it affects those with allergies to it so I find I always have to be skeptical about how things are labeled or where foods are packaged.
  23. Registered User
    Heavy Weight's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    23
    Answers
    0

    Gluten Free Whey Protein


    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    I'm looking for whey protein that is gluten free and just whey, with nothing added. I'd like to be able to buy atleast a 3lb container.
    I have been using a Gluten free whey protein from Top Form Nutrition, personally i like the chocolate flavor the best, but the vanilla is good also !
  24. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    poison's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,904
    Answers
    0


    Q: Any Know of a cheap gluten free whey protein powder, that is gluten free?


    A: No, but I know of a cheap gluten free whey powder, that is not gluten free.



    :huh:
  25. Registered User
    AHEALTHYBUZZ's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  155 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1
    Answers
    0


    I have a gluten/whey/soy free protein powder with carbohydrate, Excellent. It's not exactly low cost. About $1 per serving. Let me know if you are interested!!
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. If youve ever been gluten free get in here
    By kingdong in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-20-2010, 06:33 PM
  2. Gluten free bulk
    By asavage24 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-29-2010, 05:57 PM
  3. Gluten Free Supp's
    By natty texan in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2009, 12:28 PM
  4. Gluten Free Anyone?
    By Elizzard in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-03-2007, 07:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in