B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Melatonin and Sleep Two Common Sleep Disorders You May Be Able to Cure

The natural hormone melatonin has several recently proven health benefits, but one stands out as the most immediate and practical use.

Sleep.

Melatonin is a hormone directly related to regulating the sleep cycle, and is produced by the body when light levels are low, and switched off when light levels are high. Now available as an over-the-counter supplement, you may seek it out as a sleep aid instead of the more common Benadryl or Ambien. But does it actually work?

For insomnia, it has limited usefulness. While several studies have been published showing no difference between insomniacs who took melatonin as opposed to those who took a placebo, it may still have some effect for you if you are suffering temporary insomnia. Some users on the popular health forum Healthboards.com have reported that it did not help them fall asleep as well as a traditional sleeping pill, but it did help them feel tired, sleepy, and ready for bed.

Other users reported greater success with a smaller dosage. For instance, one woman tried 1 mg, then 2, then 3. No effect. She then tried 1/2 a mg and it worked well for her.

There may be somewhat of a subjective process with this supplement. In other words, if you have insomnia, try it for yourself and see if it helps. And experiment with the lower doses. Even if it isn't effective for your insomnia, there is one sleep disorder that it is invariably successful at treating.

And that would be jet lag. Long airline flights can throw your sleep cycle so out of sync that melatonin can get you back into a regular pattern much quicker than just time. This is the best use of melatonin that exists, and it's aligned with its main purpose in the human body.

While I highly recommend the use of melatonin for the occasional insomnia, there is no guarantee it will work for you. But if it doesn't, try a few different amounts of the supplement, and even see if a much lower dose works better. If you are going to be on a long flight, though, melatonin can be quite a useful supplement, re-aligning your circadian rhythm with your new day and night cycle.

Read about other health benefits of melatonin, as well as the possible dangers at http://www.supplementzone.org/melatonin Alan Glender is one of the chief editors and regular writers for SupplementZone.org, supplying you with the truth on supplements before you take them.

By: Alan Glender

Cordeen

Awards
  • Established
I read this and thought I'd I should try it. I sleep good anyhow but for only a few bucks I went for it. After 2 nights I had to stop, it did the opposite. I took 3mg an hour before bed both times and I must have wok 100 times through both nights. Maybe 3mg is too much, I don't know, but I'll maybe try it again sometime at a lower dosage.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Sometimes melatonin helps me, other times it keeps me awake and has my mind running a million miles an hour

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Melatonin definitely is effective, but if your going to take it on a daily basis, it needs to be cycled.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I could not have said it better.
Its a very odd side effect. My wife experiences that sometimes.

If you have been taking it for awhile and not cycling it, you will definitely find it difficult to sleep without it.

wbted23

wbted23

Awards
i get a similar effect with all types of sleep aids. for me, if I dont fall asleep within about an hour of taking the sleep aid, i generally dont sleep at all and have a terrible night. My mind is running like crazy, as you said, but its generally irrational and confused thoughts...not so fun! Even tho im a bit of an insomniac, I usually avoid sleep aids for that reason...

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Same thing, if I don't sleep right away I'm up all night with a psycho mind. I usually can't keep a song out of my head or I keep going over something that happened at school or anticipating an upcoming event. It sucks. I've stopped taking it and find I sleep better.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I i want to see sleep before the AMs I have to drug myself with at east 9mg of melatonin. at about 10:30 or 11. Stuff is my savior. Back up is Diphenhydramine. That junk aint no joke.

mrman

Awards
cool

interesting stuff might have to check this out sometime.

h0other

h0other

Awards
  • Established
Melatonin is A++ in my book. Knocks me out.