intra products hinder muscle growth

1. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  175 lbs.

intra products hinder muscle growth

in another forum, there are a bunch of threads popping up about whether or not consuming bcaa's/eaa's intra is counter-productive. the idea behind it is that muscle is supposed to be broken down during workout but AA taken prevent this. this is why your not sore...because the muscle never breaks down in the first place. anyways, wanted to see what anyone had to say about this or if any valid studies could be posted

2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

That is completely wrong; it may help to prevent excessive catabolism, but if there is no soreness, then the training is sub-par.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    That is completely wrong; it may help to prevent excessive catabolism, but if there is no soreness, then the training is sub-par.
    agreed . tell them boys to start training with intensity. if theey train heavy and intense enough you have no choice but to be sore.(the muscle group worked)
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
    •   

4. Banned

I'm sure the ones pushing for AA use wants you to Max-Out, too. Bullsh*t, in my opinion. Sounds like someone isn't working hard enough. Either they need to change their routine, or find a new hobby.

BCAA/EAA intra-workout is a godsend for me.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.

I can positively refute that claim. They need to pick it up a bit I think.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  6. Registered User

haha, I think you are going to see a lot of similar responses.....Tell them to go do some more curls on the squat rack.
  7. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

WTF? Ingesting a carb/protein/BCAA drink DURING the workout is one of the most anabolic things you can do. It reduces cortisol levels elevated by the exercise, increases time to failure, prevents catabolism, boosts GH IIRC, etc.

Working out right tears the muscle through stress. How the eff is a BCAA drink going to prevent the tears created by a 500lb squat?

Up Next, BCAA's! An in depth look at this super-human engineered protein! Watch as a US Marine takes a 7.62mm round to his bare chest, and lives!
  8. Registered User

I don't care what I'm drinking, if I'm working out hard, I'm going to break down muscle.
  9. Registered User

i just posted in a thread the other day that said bcaa's and eaa's pre and during and 20 grams protein post was optimal for muscle growth and strength. come on, enough of this crap.
  10. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

maybe not carbs and fat during the workout as blood will goto your stomach to digest the food,

BCAAs in free form dont need that, and the first thing that gets broken down when you train are BCAAs.

BCAAs work well for anticatabolism and energy in my training.
  11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post
    maybe not carbs and fat during the workout as blood will goto your stomach to digest the food,

BCAAs in free form dont need that, and the first thing that gets broken down when you train are BCAAs.

x2
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  260 lbs.
    SFW and GFH
  13. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

You can also look at this from a pure numbers perspective. An intense training session burns anywhere from 600-1200 calories depending on size/duration and this is not included any EPOC/nutrient repartitioning. Intra-WO products may supply 100-400 kcals, so there is automatically a caloric surplus/nitrogen deficit as a result of lifting. If anything, these products help to lessen the damage (literally) done form lifting and I doubt anyone will say that a kickstart on recovery is a bad thing.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeRows View Post
    I don't care what I'm drinking, if I'm working out hard, I'm going to break down muscle.
    agreed
  15. Universal Nutrition
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by michael3435 View Post
    in another forum, there are a bunch of threads popping up about whether or not consuming bcaa's/eaa's intra is counter-productive. the idea behind it is that muscle is supposed to be broken down during workout but AA taken prevent this. this is why your not sore...because the muscle never breaks down in the first place. anyways, wanted to see what anyone had to say about this or if any valid studies could be posted
    Amino acids do not prevent the breakdown of muscle tissue. That is going to happen if you are training hard. Amino acids do help recovery though and that is a good thing.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.

Like Rodja said...It's a jump start towards recovery of the damage you hopefully have done.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  17. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  175 lbs.

actually, its kinda opposite. activation of the parasympathetic nervous system regulates digestion and lowers blood pressure, this is what leads to the pump and better nutrient delivery. so a small amount of carbs would be good.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    Working out right tears the muscle through stress. How the eff is a BCAA drink going to prevent the tears created by a 500lb squat?
    i agree with this 100%. when you train, your muscles leach the amino's from your muscles - that's where they are stored. by consuming amino's, you give your body an alternate source of them - not destroy your training regimen.
  19. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    i agree with this 100%. when you train, your muscles leach the amino's from your muscles - that's where they are stored. by consuming amino's, you give your body an alternate source of them - not destroy your training regimen.
    AGREED, there's no excuse to go light when on intra supps, if you take them and want muscle tear just push harder.

GO HEAVY OR GO HOME
  20. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

actually, its kinda opposite. activation of the parasympathetic nervous system regulates digestion and lowers blood pressure, this is what leads to the pump and better nutrient delivery. so a small amount of carbs would be good.

but you still need blood to rush to the area to DIGEST the food. which pulls blood away from the muscle.
  21. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  175 lbs.

but you still need blood to rush to the area to DIGEST the food. which pulls blood away from the muscle.
    there is also not a limit in the amount of blood we have, reserves are tapped into during all training activity. digestion also does not take blood from other areas of the body.
  22. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

there is also not a limit in the amount of blood we have, reserves are tapped into during all training activity. digestion also does not take blood from other areas of the body.

well yes training increases blood volume but i still believe that your not getting "optimal" blood flow during your workout when your taking in carbs or anything that needs to be digested.

i get a much better pump when im not having that intra workout shake.

however something like waxy MAY be different due to it replenishing muscle glycogen much faster and drawing water into the muscles

that would possibly be better. but i never liked oats during the workout.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.

I puked once when I tried to drink a shake while working out. However, I've never had a problem drinking my Xtend. I think I get a better workout when I have my Xtend. I usually start drinking it 1/2 way through my workout and leave about 1/4 of the bottle left to drink post-WO.
  24. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  175 lbs.

ok so i have been doing more digging.

the jissn states that eaa's/protein taken during workout DECREASE muscle breakdown by 54%. i just dont understand why you would want to limit muscle breakdown during workout???
  25. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

Ok, listen close: muscle breakdown is catabolism. Your body is using itself for fuel, to repair damage, etc. This is bad, and not at all the same as the beneficial micro tears from lifting heavy that spur muscle growth. Intra products allow your body to heal those tears in your bicep, lets say, without scavenging proteins from your quad.
  26. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

Thumbs up

Ok, listen close: muscle breakdown is catabolism. Your body is using itself for fuel, to repair damage, etc. This is bad, and not at all the same as the beneficial micro tears from lifting heavy that spur muscle growth. Intra products allow your body to heal those tears in your bicep, lets say, without scavenging proteins from your quad.
    Good way to put it.
    Molecular Nutrition - Unlevel The Field
    X-Factor: THE Most Scientifically Valid Muscle Builder, Ever!
  27. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SwolenONE View Post
    Good way to put it.

ahh the benefit of Essentials and excell during the workout.........
  28. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

ahh the benefit of Essentials and excell during the workout.........
    I see you, and I raise you a "Ahh the benefits of LG's BC+EAA during your workout"

just kidding man, but with so many great free form amino acid supps on the market now I wont be surprised if I start seeing more and more ppl at the gym with blender bottles full of mystery fruit flavored powders. I already see a few ppl using intra workout drinks, but not nearly as many as ppl i know who use no xplode and the likes prior to lifting.
    Molecular Nutrition - Unlevel The Field
    X-Factor: THE Most Scientifically Valid Muscle Builder, Ever!
  29. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SwolenONE View Post
    I see you, and I raise you a "Ahh the benefits of LG's BC+EAA during your workout"

just kidding man, but with so many great free form amino acid supps on the market now I wont be surprised if I start seeing more and more ppl at the gym with blender bottles full of mystery fruit flavored powders. I already see a few ppl using intra workout drinks, but not nearly as many as ppl i know who use no xplode and the likes prior to lifting.
    if i use any supplement its DURING a workout...

NO explode i would have during a workout. i dont like the pre workout blends pre workout i personally feel they are more useful during the workout. i try and steer clear of carbs during my workout though.

ok how bout

Ahh the benifits of essentials and LGs BC+EAAs during the workout!!!
  30. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.

To the OP, Scivation just released their own study on intra-WO supplementation. See http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...end-study.html , but basically Xtend > WPI > Gatorade. Gatorade won't prevent muscle breakdown, and yet overall they saw much lower LBM gains/strength improvements.
  31. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  175 lbs.

to phrase things in terms of anabolism and catabolism is misleading. if we never go thru catabolism in the first place, then our workouts would be useless. i already know what goes on in the body (as you just explained), but i am under the assumption that this breakdown is necessary for muscle growth, which is different from muscle damage. the articles clearly state that both are decreased with eaa/pro.

im losing you when you say muscle breakdown is not good.
  32. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    To the OP, Scivation just released their own study on intra-WO supplementation. See , but basically Xtend > WPI > Gatorade. Gatorade won't prevent muscle breakdown, and yet overall they saw much lower LBM gains/strength improvements.
    yeah, saw this. thanks for the link. im just trying to understand why based on what i stated above. i havent read the whole thing but there are a lot of factors that play into the outcome. for example, was a pwo shake consumed? if not, i see the leucine and citrulline malate content of xtend making it far better than other sources.
  33. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

The micro tears are what helps you grow. Whenn it gets repaired you get stronger and bigger. But wheb u breakdown muscle via gluconeogenisis. Your taking aminos from muscle and I thinl ots important ti replenish those BCAAs while they are being broken down during the traoining

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 139
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 09:47 AM
  2. Cellucor products Musscle growth Kit.
    By Colton in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-22-2010, 02:27 PM
  3. For Sale: Intra-Aid, AppNut, etc. (Miscellaneous Products)
    By jazzman21 in forum Supplement Auction
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 06:00 PM
  4. GH intra muscle
    By tek in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 09:21 PM