Supplements for GF's depression

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
My girlfriend is very depressed right now and its been going on for a few weeks. SHe has been going through a rather rough period however she is still able to function properly and pretty much the only time she shows shes depressed is when its just me and her. She is convinced she needs some sort of prescription which I honestly dont think she needs any meds and was looking for some supplements that may help her balance out.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
get her eating properly and excerising. Find the root of the problem thats making her depressed and try fix it before going down the route of popping pills

machine528

machine528

Awards
  • Established
Chub, I agree 100 percent, Ive even told her to start working out and eating better but when she gets home from work she just lays around and sulks. We have figured out the root of her problem she is unhappy with her current living situation, money situation and just recently her mother passed on, she is unhappy with the hours she has to work and im sure this dreary winter weather doesnt help.

Skigazzi

Skigazzi

Awards
  • Established
I'd get her into the gym (it releases great brain chems) and to a Dr.

Depression is not something to take lightly, it can look ok on the surface, but it could be very bad inside.

edit - could try tanning in the winter, that can help

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
It's winter time, a good possibility is Vitamin D. 5k IU, gel caps, as a start. Get blood levels tested through a normal checkup if possible.

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
If it is really bad then she needs to see a professional about it, but if that is not a possibility then there are a few things she could try besides meds. I went through something similar with my woman last year. When she was depressed she seemed to just be tired or uninterested in most anything. I had her try Geranium caps for a little pick me up and mood elevation this seemed to help her feel better that or it helped her be more receptive to me encouraging her I dunno really. A few other supps that have been found to help with depression are Omega-3s, SAM-e, Phenibut, and 5-HTP.

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
Chub, I agree 100 percent, Ive even told her to start working out and eating better but when she gets home from work she just lays around and sulks. We have figured out the root of her problem she is unhappy with her current living situation, money situation and just recently her mother passed on, she is unhappy with the hours she has to work and im sure this dreary winter weather doesnt help.
vitamin D.

Gordothespace

Gordothespace

Awards
St. John's Wort is good too. If it lasts to long she may need to be on a med like Zoloft. It does not need to be a permanant thing either. She may need something to get her over the hump and help her with motivation to take care of the problems. That is another big thing. It is great that you guys were able to identify the problems. Now she needs to start taking steps to solve them. By seeing progress in the areas giving her trouble she should start coming out of the blues and building momentum which is also motivation to get the other troubles fixed. When she succeeds in getting one problem lined out she will feel more confident to fix the rest of them.

Good luck

TheAnimalG

TheAnimalG

Awards
If she wants to go see a doctor, let her. Even if its placebo, it might help. As for supplements, lots of omega-3s should help. They help with depression in general. Instead of ingesting them as supplements, you can just change your diet to contain more omega 3s. Plenty of salmon, tuna, olive oil, walnuts...

Just offer to cook and always cook foods high in omega-3. lol

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
vitamin D.
seasonal depression is a real issue, and often resolved with Vitamin D. It is absolutely the first thing you should try. Most americans are deficient.

At the very least, when she goes to the doctor for depression, she should get a standard checkup and vit D blood levels checked before she jumps on whatever drug they are handing out now.

"High-dose" Vitamin D

I stumbled on one of the growing number of local media stories on the power of vitamin D.

In one story, a purported "expert" was talking about the benefits of "high-dose" vitamin D, meaning up to 1000, even 2000 units per day.

I regard this as high-dose---for an infant.

Judging by my experiences, now numbering well over 1000 patients over three years time, I'd regard this dose range not as "high dose," nor moderate dose, perhaps not even low dose. I'd regard it as barely adequate.

Though needs vary widely, the majority of men require 6000 units per day, women 5000 units per day. Only then do most men and women achieve what I'd define as desirable: 60-70 ng/ml 25-hydroxy vitamin D blood level.

I base this target level by extrapolating from several simple observations:

--In epidemiologic studies, a blood level of 52 ng/ml seems to be an eerily consistent value: >52 ng/ml and cancer of the colon, breast, and prostate become far less common; <52 ng/ml and cancers are far more likely. I don't know about you, but I'd like to have a little larger margin of safety than just achieving 52.1 ng/ml.

--Young people (not older people >40 years old, who have lost most of the capacity to activate vitamin D in the skin) who obtain several days to weeks of tropical sun typically have 25-hydroxy vitamin D blood levels of 80-100 ng/ml without adverse effect.

More recently, having achieved this target blood level in many people, I can tell you confidently that achieving this blood level of vitamin D achieves:

--Virtual elimination of "winter blues" and seasonal affective disorder in the great majority
--Dramatic increases in HDL cholesterol (though full effect can require a year to develop)
--Reduction in triglycerides
--Modest reduction in blood pressure
--Dramatic reduction in c-reactive protein (far greater than achieved with Crestor, JUPITER trial or no)
--Increased bone density (improved osteoporosis/osteopenia)
--Halting or reversal of aortic valve disease

(I don't see enough cancer in my cardiology practice to gauge whether or not there has been an impact on cancer incidence.)

My colleagues who have bothered to participate in the vitamin D conversation have issued warnings about not going "overboard" with vitamin D, generally meaning a level of >30 ng/ml.

I know of no rational basis for these cautions. If hypercalcemia (increased blood calcium) is the concern, then calcium levels can be monitored. I can reassure them that calcium levels virtually never go up in people (without rare diseases like sarcoid or hyperparathyroidism). Then why any hesitation in recreating blood levels that are enjoyed by tropical inhabitants exposed to plentiful sun that achieve these extraordinary health effects?

For the present, I have applied the target level of 60-70 ng/ml without apparent ill-effect. In fact, I have witnessed nothing but hugely positive effects.
The Heart Scan Blog

Vitamin D’s Crucial Role in Cardiovascular Protection - Life Extension

I also agree with everyone saying fish oil (there are so many benefits, take it regardless), although for this particular issue vitamin d is more likely to result in a dramatic positive change.

If these don't work, then some of the other recommendations were spot on. I would try SAM-E next. It is prescribed in europe for depression and is also very beneficial for the liver and joints.

good luck!

grila jujitsu

grila jujitsu

Awards
  • Established
take her to a doctor! there is no excuse for not doing so! If you love her you will help her! she needs to get help from someone educated in this area! trust me you will be very sorry if you dont!!! she has told you what she needs now help her attain it!

Thanks
GJJ

jacobcoile

Awards
If seeking the help of a doctor for her, please get a second opinion and research everything the doc or docs recomends... Half the time they just pump out random prescriptions that they are TOLD by pharmaceutical reps that will work, or they are just too damn eager to prescribe you something.

My wife for example was wrongly prescribed thryoid meds (synthroid) from one visit/one blood test by some idiot doctor that was more interested in the total number of patients he "served" than on the quality of the help he gave them. I also happen to know it is far too easy to get a prescription for antidepressents like lexapro etc. and a bad diagnosis with these types of drugs can be very dangerous. This happens far too often as Doctors, clinics, and hospitals are all essentially businesses now days. Maybe consider the help of a counselor or therapist that is more interested in therapy/talking than in drugs.

Also start lightly with the supps as stated by others: things like fish oil(if supplementing don't expect one cap of fish oil to do it most need at least 3 1gram caps and some more for the mood lifting effects) and vitamin D are definitely starting points that should be in her diet anyway for optimum health. Sunlight is def. important for our moods she should try to get some on her face at least(15min or so) everyday if possible.

Another thing to look into is the look of her enviroment: move furniture around to give a new look, paint the walls in brighter colors, put plants and/or flowers in the house even fake ones can help, maybe feng shui arrangement of the home, depending on weather you can open up the house and let fresh air in every now an then etc...

Exercise, food/healthy diet, water intake, sleep habits, stretching should be worked at or in place as well for best results.

*be careful with the sam-e and the st john's wort- quality from brand to brand varies and they have both shown ability to worsen (slightly or greatly) some types of depression or anxiety for some people.

I would recomend a supp called good days- combo of things like l-theanine and rhodiola.

As someone said depression can be very serious which is partly why I wrote so many recommendations here the other reason is my wife and I have both been thru the same thing. Good Luck hope all works out.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If the depression stems from those things you mentioned then it sounds like she is just depressed about THINGS and situations. Doesn't sound like she has clinical/chronic depression, where she would become dysfunctional (although, if it goes on TOO long, then she could become the latter).

If just those things that is the problem:
* Change the living situation (i.e. move out, find somewhere else; or talk to the others she lives with and talk about the issues theres).
* Money problems cannot be so easily solved, but you can always get advice from a financial consultant.
* Grief can cause deep depression; perhaps grief counselling? but really this is something that she has to deal with in her own way.
* If she's unhappy with the hours she has to work, then negotiate different hours/shifts if possible; and if not, then have her think about changing to a job that better suits her 'needs'.
* As for the weather, well that can't be changed; but you can make sure that she exercises to get endorphins going.

As far as there being a "supplement" that will get rid of her depression, no there isn't, but having a good multivitamin/antioxidant and fish oil will help some. And she doesn't necessarily need a "prescripton" either; sometimes medication can do more bad than good.

take her to a doctor! there is no excuse for not doing so! If you love her you will help her! she needs to get help from someone educated in this area! trust me you will be very sorry if you dont!!! she has told you what she needs now help her attain it!

Thanks
GJJ
Like GJJ said, she has confided in you her issue, and actually admitted she has a problem. If the depression continues, seeing a professional for anything further would be a wise idea, even if only for a single session to assess her, because this kind of depression has the potential to turn into clinical depression if it becomes chronic (otherwise, the depression may go away, once all those circumstances are dealt with in a satisfactory manner). Always better to be on the safe side, as those issues may not be the ALL at the root of it.

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
tell her to hit up a tanning bed. i don't think supplemental vitamin D works as well as actual sun light

grila jujitsu

grila jujitsu

Awards
  • Established
tell her to hit up a tanning bed. i don't think supplemental vitamin D works as well as actual sun light
isnt a tanning bed in turn supplemental vitamin D ! :trout:

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
Be careful if you do have her supplement with St Johns Wart as it can lessen the effectiveness of birthcontrol pills, if she is on any.

Shatter

Shatter

Awards
If the depression stems from those things you mentioned then it sounds like she is just depressed about THINGS and situations. Doesn't sound like she has clinical/chronic depression, where she would become dysfunctional (although, if it goes on TOO long, then she could become the latter).
You stole my response.

Not to downplay what she is going through but situational depression and chronic depression are very different things. Popping pills should only really be considered for chronic situations, not for when a person is depressed about a situation. It is perfectly natural to be depressed at times. However - and a big however - my situational depression ultimately became rather chronic, as it can become a hard to break cycle. So, I would recommend monitoring the situation but pills should not be the first resort.

Good luck.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
I'd get her into the gym (it releases great brain chems) and to a Dr.

Depression is not something to take lightly, it can look ok on the surface, but it could be very bad inside.

edit - could try tanning in the winter, that can help
Yeah, but all of these GD doctors just want to write a script and send you on your way. She just has to work through it. Believe me, I know that life can be hard at times, and it certainly has its ups and downs. But that doesn't warrant the prescription of dangerous prozac like drugs that will make the problem worse. I usually turn to spiritual means as my solution. It is honestly the only thing that works for me. That, and I think about how peoplee lived through hard times in the 1700s and 1800s. Times were much tougher, people died from common illnesses, often only half of a family's children survived, and the life expectancy was like 45. They had no Prozac or freak doctors who want to put everyone on drugs. As a healthcare professional, it really is sad, the things I see regularly. Most people have no clue, and think that these MDs can walk on water. Well let me tell you, there are some good ones out there, but they are all human just like you and I.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
You stole my response.

Not to downplay what she is going through but situational depression and chronic depression are very different things. Popping pills should only really be considered for chronic situations, not for when a person is depressed about a situation. It is perfectly natural to be depressed at times. However - and a big however - my situational depression ultimately became rather chronic, as it can become a hard to break cycle. So, I would recommend monitoring the situation but pills should not be the first resort.

Good luck.
Really, if you listen to the phoney medical community's criteria for clinical depression, I submit that you would be hard pressed to find a person that is not clinically depressed. Any fake reason to get your average person drugged up on Paxil and Seroquel.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
This whole Vitamin D thing is very interesting. I look forward to taking the news home as it makes complete sense. Especially since the gf lays in the sun all summer long. She too is depressed in the winter months and turns to Zoloft. Very informative thread here.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have been using Vit D and it is really making a difference.

johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
You stole my response.

Good luck.

It's not so simple. If you are prone to depression due to an imbalance (of say vitamin D), something that normally wouldn't bother you, can in fact, make you very stressed and depressed. So while it never hurts to talk things through, it may be extremely beneficial getting a check up asap.

All I'm saying is don't turn to drugs as the first answer unless its an emergency (suicidal thoughts?). Correct imbalances first (low DHA, low vitamin D, could even be hormone related).

saludable24

Awards
  • Established
A agree with a lot of the supplements suggested. If it is because of stress, I highly recomend EndoAMP. The PS in endoamp is incredible at keeping me from stressing out.

I will just say this about going to the Dr and getting a prescription med. It is her choice in the end, and if that is what she wants to do you don't have a right to keep her from doing so. What ever her choice, support her if you love her, even if you disagree.

Medication works, but it can have side effects and is not always ideal. I think of it as a tool to be used when the situation requires it. I used Zoloft for a period before I got my supplementation regimine in order. It worked and turned my serious depression around and enabled me to move on in life. Because I was able to move on, get my head together, and feel better I got my life back. With my life back I was able to learn and apply much of my knowledge about supplements I learned during that time that helped me get off of the zoloft. Now I feel even better than I did while on it, but would not have made it to where I am without having used it for that period of time. So my view of medication is as a tool to be used when the situation requires it.

Jaidmaster

Jaidmaster

Awards
I agree with the Vit D and some help/counseling if willing. I have been reading a lot of info on Maca recently for mood lift/slight energy boost, etc. It is a natural way to regulate hormones, which can be a source of depression also. Note that it should not be used with St John's Wort, and can reduce hormonal birth control effectiveness.
Wish you both the best.

grila jujitsu

grila jujitsu

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, but all of these GD doctors just want to write a script and send you on your way. She just has to work through it. Believe me, I know that life can be hard at times, and it certainly has its ups and downs. But that doesn't warrant the prescription of dangerous prozac like drugs that will make the problem worse. I usually turn to spiritual means as my solution. It is honestly the only thing that works for me. That, and I think about how peoplee lived through hard times in the 1700s and 1800s. Times were much tougher, people died from common illnesses, often only half of a family's children survived, and the life expectancy was like 45. They had no Prozac or freak doctors who want to put everyone on drugs. As a healthcare professional, it really is sad, the things I see regularly. Most people have no clue, and think that these MDs can walk on water. Well let me tell you, there are some good ones out there, but they are all human just like you and I.

I dont know where you are from, but when I go to my doctor they dont just write me a prescription. I would write much more to you, but you r just not worth it.....

Please take what LilPsychotic says to you with a grain of salt!!! this guy does not have any idea!!

jacobcoile

Awards
I dont know where you are from, but when I go to my doctor they dont just write me a prescription. I would write much more to you, but you r just not worth it.....

Please take what LilPsychotic says to you with a grain of salt!!! this guy does not have any idea!!

actually it is very easy to get the scripts for this type of situation and from personal experience and thru talking with many others on the matter IMHO- there are four main prescriptions that are very easy to get and have the potential for very negative effects: they are synthroid, antibiotics, antidepressesants, and sleep meds... In fact I would go as far as to say that even leaving out antibiotics we all prob. know at least one or more people on one or more of these. Wow billions of dollars being made right there.

I think it is def. a good idea to get a check up, but I still believe in playing it safe. If "you think" you need one of those scripts I mentioned or you really "want one" all here, in this thread especially, should be aware it is far too easy to obtain them whether you REALLY need them or not. And that in my opinion can be a recipe for disaster.

It may be the guy you replied to was a little strong against Docs and maybe he should not be advising not to "ever" go to one, but try not to dismiss the fact about how serious some of these drugs are and what a joke some Doctors idea of when to give them out is. I posted a similar precation in a post above.