Hmb

AndreAnabolic

AndreAnabolic

Awards
anyone hear of it? helps suppress protein breakdown? any good?

ryaroberts

ryaroberts

Awards
  • Established
the claims made my HMB only resulted from intro exercise enthusiasts. it does not have the same effect nor make the same claims with more advanced athletes. every study ive come about all had to do with people who never exercised before, none were well experienced athletes. i figure there is better stuff to put your money down on.

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
HMB has been around since the 80's and i'm pretty sure it's been proven useless

steveironman

Banned
Awards
HMB is the perfect example of a supplement that looked promising re studies on rats,anecdotal evidence etc... that failed real life testing.
The reality was 3 things.
1- it was too expensive
2- it was ineffective
3- it fell so far short of expectations it is all but forgotten as a supplement
EAS was responsible for starting over hyped claims of great results and this compounds effectiveness. Other supp companies then jumped on the money train.
You watch someday some supp company will try to revitalize interest in this IMO worthless supplement with a big marketing push and in the short term make money off of peoples ignorance re: past results and their blinding desire to want to believe it will do what is claimed. JMO

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
u wanna suppress protein breakdown take leucine

hmb is a metabolite of luecine...and you are right...it seems that the same effects can be gotten at a cheaper price by just using luecine

AndreAnabolic

AndreAnabolic

Awards
dammit, hope this place does returns/exchanges! hahaha not too pricey, grabbed it half off for 25.. might aswell give it a gander!

SonicSWOLE

SonicSWOLE

Awards
  • Established
HMB is the perfect example of a supplement that looked promising re studies on rats,anecdotal evidence etc... that failed real life testing.
The reality was 3 things.
1- it was too expensive
2- it was ineffective
3- it fell so far short of expectations it is all but forgotten as a supplement
EAS was responsible for starting over hyped claims of great results and this compounds effectiveness. Other supp companies then jumped on the money train.
You watch someday some supp company will try to revitalize interest in this IMO worthless supplement with a big marketing push and in the short term make money off of peoples ignorance re: past results and their blinding desire to want to believe it will do what is claimed. JMO

All wrong......IMHO, of course.
You can get HMB fairly cheap at the right places.
It is VERY effective....at the right dose.
It is a staple of many people who truly know the value of this supplement.
Leucine is a GREAT supplement.............no the same as taking HMB. Period.

HMB is now one of the most under-rated supplements on the market. It is that way unfortunately because it was so over-hyped and wayyyyyyyyy underdosed.

Dose at 5-7 grams per day.... you WILL like.

AndreAnabolic

AndreAnabolic

Awards
ya i got it at a local supp shop....and thanks for the suggestion of upping the dose! might give it a shot, ill run through it alot quicker though

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
All wrong......IMHO, of course.
You can get HMB fairly cheap at the right places.
It is VERY effective....at the right dose.
It is a staple of many people who truly know the value of this supplement.
Leucine is a GREAT supplement.............no the same as taking HMB. Period.

HMB is now one of the most under-rated supplements on the market. It is that way unfortunately because it was so over-hyped and wayyyyyyyyy underdosed.

Dose at 5-7 grams per day.... you WILL like.
i've seen most discussions where people say atleast 10 grams a day

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The Wilson bros have done a lot of research on this....and it doesnt appear to be all bad:

Kim, J-S., J. M. Wilson, S-R. Lee, G. J. Wilson, B. Sommer, J. Colon, T. Diah, D. Mendez, J. D. Kingsley, and L. B. Panton. Acute Timing Effects of β-Hydroxy β-Methylbutyrate (HMB) Supplementation on Muscle Strength and Soreness. Med Sci Sports Exerc 40(5):S7, 2008.

G.J. Wilson, J.M. Wilson. The Effects of HMB Supplementation on Muscle Tissue Structure and Function, Current and
Future Research Implications JISSN, 5:S10, 2008.

Also a peer reviewed publication here

Esox Express

Esox Express

Awards
  • Established
Where is this stuff? I found that NP used to carry it for $8/100g. I've looked all over and it doesn't look like anybody has it for a reasonable price anymore that would allow someone to dose it at 5-10g/day.

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
I liked it at high doses when I first took it. I took it at about 6 or 7 grams a day with ecdy and BCAAs+extra leucine. You need to be eating a lot of protein to notice results as it helps with protein synthesis and all that. Try and have around 1.5g of protein per lb of body weight. But yeah its been kinda expensive in local supp stores, if you can find it cheap in bulk its not bad imo but everybody is diff. gl with it!

outspiral

Awards
Sci Fit larger bottle is the best bang for the buck I found in pill form. Don't know if its available in bulk... if so I would def look into it. There has been a lot of research on it, people don't waste their time researching something for that long if it doesn't work. There are ALOT of supps out there that are good, but people say they suck because of the price. HMB seems to be on the high side

trynacut

Awards
I tried this supp in the 80s/90's when I weighed 215-225 and it did nothing for me.

To SonicSWOLE and JSP0785, good thinking outside the box, maybe it was the dose I was taking. Let me ask you guys, at those high doses, did you experience any intestinal distress??

BTW props to Royd the Noyd, excellent informative helpful contribution which I am going to check out right now. Thanks guys!

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
I tried this supp in the 80s/90's when I weighed 215-225 and it did nothing for me.

To SonicSWOLE and JSP0785, good thinking outside the box, maybe it was the dose I was taking. Let me ask you guys, at those high doses, did you experience any intestinal distress??

BTW props to Royd the Noyd, excellent informative helpful contribution which I am going to check out right now. Thanks guys!
no idea. i've never taken it just saying what i've seen from other discussions about it. if there's something that's been out there that long and there's still so much conflicting reports on it i would touch it.

steveironman

Banned
Awards
id almost challenge anyone to say that they definitively gained more mass using this than when they weren't ...even if they increased protein intake. Or if perhaps they wouldn't have benefited just as much simply increasing protein intake w/o hmb...it surely doesn't increase rate of protein synthesis by the body ..id say the same for muusing it for muscle retention. Anyway ....just my opinion...and im sure the challenge would fall on def ears or be supported by someone truly believing something took place that didn't...anyway ..what the heck ..it wont hurt you...try it...at least then u can decide what supplement to spend your money on next after realizing u wasted it on this one *L*
Again personal opinion (oh and in this case shared and supported by many in the natural as well as aas using bodybuilding community)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 26
Supplements 2
GreenMachineX Supplements 11
Supplements 42
Supplements 49