Why do you workout/take supplements?

Why do you workout/take supplements?

• Look good in the mirror and feel good (self satisfaction)

Votes: 82 75.9%
  • Attract more women (look attractive to the opposite sex, whether single or not)

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • To be envied by other guys for looking good (getting compliments etc...)

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • Feel powerful and strong in general (don't fear fights etc...)

Votes: 46 42.6%

• Total voters
LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Why do you take supplements and workout poll?

It's an anonymous poll please pick your top 2. Someone asked me why do people on here work out so much? I wondered that same thing.

Can you answer the poll and then elaborate what is the #1 reason you work out? You can vote for as many as you like (please pick the top three)

1) Look good in the mirror and feel good (self satisfaction)
2) attract more women (look attractive to the opposite sex, whether single or not)
3) to be envied by other guys for looking good (getting compliments etc...)
4) feel powerful and strong in general (don't fear fights etc...)

LG Sciences

LG Sciences

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
No, defeats the purpose. I am interested in the top two!

BettrBdyMitch

BettrBdyMitch

Awards
1) Because it helps with my recovery, and progress with all the training I do so I put on strength/size faster and more efficiently and stay healthier

2) I don't want to become a fbt (fatty buck tooth) like other members of my fam, I love em, but not enough to mimick them.

BettrBdyMitch

BettrBdyMitch

Awards
oh, and I don't fear fights with or without supplementation

bigpoppapump2

bigpoppapump2

Awards
  • Established
I do it for self-satisfaction mostly.

frizzlerock

frizzlerock

Awards
  • Established
1 & 2. but also for Health reasons. dont want to end up like the rest of my fam.:D

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I personally workout and take supplements to better my health.

Gordothespace

Gordothespace

Awards
I started working out for health reasons. That turned into vanity that has changed into a healthier lifestyle.

Doc said I had HBP and needed to lose weight. That was a year ago. I went to see him again last month and when he weighed me he said I hadn't lost much weight but I looked a lot thinner. That made all the early mornings, missed pieces of cake, ice cream and beers worth it.

I also ran into a cousin I had not seen in a while and she said she almost didn't recognize me because I had gotten so big.

All that and it's nice to look better naked!

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Self-satisfaction

Looking better, feeling better, knowing I can use my body to accomplish useful tasks.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I started down this path when I realize I had some terrible genetics. My cousin had a debilitating stroke at the age of 21, many of my grandparents had strokes, heart disease, diabetes etc. High BP on both side of the family. So by working out I'm trying to keep myself healthy and enjoy life to its fullest.

Orangepeel

Orangepeel

Awards
  • Established
I picked #4, but in reality a little of all - I enjoy being able to see how training, diet, and even chemicals (supps) can be used to manipulate my body - I also beleive this to be one reason so many are attracted to PH's/Injectables - if nothing else, just to see what will happen.

In reality though, no matter what your #1 goal is - who doesn't want to look good in the mirror? - who doesn't want good looking women to want them? - Who doesn't enjoy compliments? - And who doesn't want to feel strong? - Probably no one.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
getting away from life stresses and to be healthier and look better.

frizzlerock

frizzlerock

Awards
  • Established
I started down this path when I realize I had some terrible genetics. My cousin had a debilitating stroke at the age of 21, many of my grandparents had strokes, heart disease, diabetes etc. High BP on both side of the family. So by working out I'm trying to keep myself healthy and enjoy life to its fullest.

i hear ya there. mine suck too.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it started as a great connection to my father who was really into it. I fell in love with it, and now I couldnt quantify a reason why I do it, it is just part of life now

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
How about an "other" choice? #4 would be the closest for me.

Anger and stress management #1(health)

To make my job easier #2

Vanity would be the very last reason i do it.

Last edited:
johnyq

johnyq

Awards
  • Established
1. Health

which leads directly into looking good, because generally looking good is healthy. Supplements simply help me reach that goal in a number of ways (mental edge and drive to workout harder, supporting real health, and real anabolic effects).

Since starting, this has all turned into a desire to get stronger, which I believe is ultimately also healthier.

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
# 5 - Love to train hard and heavy.

# 6 - Enjoy the discipline it takes to work on my physique over the years.

# 7 - To compete.

stosh517

stosh517

Awards
#1... i'd include anti-aging benefits in that as well (I'm 47)...
#2...of course...

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
#1 all the way. Not #4 though, because I don't have anything to prove to anyone, and I don't have short man syndrome. :smite:

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
#8 Because there are only 2 kinds of pain I love, and lifting be one of them.

People dont understand why lifting means so much. And why when you get a pump so bad you cant extend your muscles you think you have achieved ecstasy.

or as Arnold would put it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN253RLDdM8"]YouTube - arnold cumming[/ame]

I also hate weakness. Each injury I procure, each cut I bleed, every pain I feel, are like badges of honor. Sure half my body is beaten up, but hey I got another half to go :)

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
Look good in the mirror and feel good (self satisfaction)

i was a fat kid. i would never take off my shirt at the beach or the pool. one day i walked past a mirror in my boxers, and i glanced into the mirror... and i became genuinely sad and a bit disgusted at what i saw.

from that day on, i promised myself that one day, i would walk past that mirror in my boxers, and be happy with what i saw physically.

by improving myself physically, i have indirectly improved my mental state. im not self-conscious any longer, and i feel much happier in general.

on top of all of this, the fact that i'm just a healthier human being will hopefully reap the rewards of a longer, fitter life. if that isnt long-term self satisfaction, i dont know what is.

bigsexy

Awards
I was a fat kid, well more husky. throughout adolescence, I was always being recruited by the football coach and track coach (for shotput). I started working out to improve my self appearance. I continued to work out because I love constantly improving my physique, either appearance and/or physical ability.

I started taking supplements because my buddies were, and I wanted to keep up. I then realized my friends didn't know much, and went to a retail store for info. I realized that was another bad move, and then went to internet for help. I've probably tried more supplements that didn't do much for me than ones that were successes, but I keep coming back because there are a few supplements that are just phenomenal.

So, I guess my answer is:
I train because I love the feeling of lifting massive amounts of metal over my head (call me crazy), and I take supplements to feed that need. I know that wasn't a choice, but that was the answer to the question posted.

ShiftyCapone

ShiftyCapone

Awards
  • Established
I'd say all of them except to be envied by other guys. I mean, I don't really care what other people think, but who the hell doesn't like a little more attention from the ladies!? And as far as feeling strong and powerful, that is good too, but it's not so I don't fear others. I just like seeing what I am capable of.

Oh yeah, and I do it to stay off the rock too. Terrible habit. :nono:

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
I got turned down by a girl once, and I vowed never to let that happen again.

So Ive been working out ever since hoping that one day my luck will change and theyll stop turning me down. One of these days...! lol

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
I started lifting weights primarily to help level my head. Then I got hooked and it's about getting to that next weight increase and body weight increase. It's all about getting to a new level that had once seemed impossible. I love it!!!

nunes

nunes

Awards
  • Established
I was born a bodybuilder, when I was little and I saw Arnold and Stallone in the movies I knew someday I was going to pick up heavy iron.
I DONT IMAGINE MY LIFE WITHOUT THE WHEIGHTS.
I`m not a roid addict, in fact I only did 3 short cycles in my entire life , I was natural for more than 10 years and I never give up to pick up the weights and try to push harder and get bigger.
My body, my heart and my soul need the aggression of bodybuilding.
why?
I simply was born with it.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
To look and feel good

To be attractive to women - helps self esteem and strokes the ego :)

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Because it helps me when i fight (cage, not street fight)

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
4 fo' sho'

Posted from an iPhone

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
1) Look good in the mirror and feel good (self satisfaction)
2) attract more women (look attractive to the opposite sex, whether single or not)
3) to be envied by other guys for looking good (getting compliments etc...)
4) feel powerful and strong in general (don't fear fights etc...)
I chose 1 and 2. 2 was the biggest reason I started, and 1 is the biggest reason I do it now.

1) IMO with self satisfaction comes personal respect and without self respect how can anyone else respect you and more importantly think highly of you? Now I am not saying that body image is the end all be all of self respect by any means, but a solid foundation with a healthy body is the key to both mental prowess and clarity (I am not just talking out of my ass here, from personal experience and knowing the dark side of being heavy, this was very real for me).

2) Curls for the girls! ahah. Honestly this was a huge reason why I lost weight than built back up. Its not as big as I had originally thought, but provides a lot of drive when it comes to cutting, sacrifices, and in general busting my balls for these goals.

dpfisher

I guess 4 but not due to fights it just feels good to be stronger than those around you

But really all of those...

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Purely selfish motives for me,.. I want to look, feel, and be the best I can. It's about overall fitness, but functional mass,ya know what I mean!?!?

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
Purely selfish motives for me,.. I want to look, feel, and be the best I can. It's about overall fitness, but functional mass,ya know what I mean!?!?
Exactly! I mean why not look the best you possibly can? All of the above needs to be an option.

Graglor

Graglor

Awards
  • Established
The wife looks good. If I get all flabby and average looking she might too or visa-versa. Physically looking good for each other keeps the sex exiting and each other fit. Just a healthy way to live in a world saturated with fat or starving people. If you have internet you can afford to live healthy.

Tech2TheLimit

Tech2TheLimit

Awards
Fitness has always played a vital role in my life. I would love to go into the NYPD and working out/supplements are helping me to get closer to my goal.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You left out the choice of

"Because I'm obsessive compulsive and this gives me a relatively healthy outlet for it"

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I do it to teach my kids about being healthy. I do it for vanity. I do it to combat having three kids and slowing metabolism. I do it as an outlet for anger. I do it because I love it, well most of the time.

Graglor

Graglor

Awards
  • Established
I do it to teach my kids about being healthy. I do it for vanity. I do it to combat having three kids and slowing metabolism. I do it as an outlet for anger. I do it because I love it, well most of the time.
Nice one Crader. I just got married in August and the wife and I are detemined to be fit, healthy, and active before trying for kids in the next year. We want to be "in the game/practice" parents rather then "side line" ones.