beta blockers?

Dyou

Dyou

Awards
  • Established
Was wondering if anyone had any info on using them for social reasons. I get really nervous when I feel im 'in the spotlight' and get it really bad in interviews. I heard that beta blockers were good for keeping that nervous feeling back. If this is true which ones do you guys suggest?

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
There is one with a large "A" printed on it that is sub-lingual. Stage actors have been known to use this for stage fright. The name of it escapes me. They screw up muscle tone and pump though. If you have social anxiety one of the lesser Benzodiazipines would be better. Tolerance to beta-blockers builds fast.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I suggest a shot of vodka....just the one, mind.

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
Inderal

The name you are looking for is Inderal or propranolol (generic). It is a non-selective beta blocker and works better than anything I have tried for anxiety. If you have asthma you do not want to take this because it antagonizes b1 and b2 adrenergic receptors, so it will affect your breathing (more shallow). You could use Lopressor (metoprolol), which is selective for b2 receptors only (affecting the heart). B2 adrenergic receptors help regulate heart rate and response to stress. This formulation is less permeable in the cell membranes, so has a slower onset than Inderal.

As a pharmacy student I would reccommend 40mg inderal, 45mins before the social event. You will be nervous in your mind, but lack the heart rate increase or palpitations, sweating, and studdering/breathing problems. AKA the physiological symptoms of being nervous. This greatly helps and the calm feeling of your body will help you mentally feel calm and ready to go.

I know how just being above average in physique can make you feel on the spot just about all the time, as can a speech or interview. I have taken 1mg of ativan (lorazepam) and I will feel a little more calm, but it does nothing for the physical symptoms which make you appear and feel nervous. So I'd go with the Inderal.

Note: It does affect circulation and the ability to get a pump because your heart beats slower and your blood pressure is lowered. This would only be a problem if you took it regularly and not on a situational basis.

Hope this helps.

Chefdeez

Chefdeez

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Phenibut works very well for social anxiety. I myself have taken it before job interviews and have felt it works very, very well.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i cant go to an interview smellin like vodka lol
I said a shot, not a bunch of them :thumbsup:

Then brush your teeth and chew on some gum or a mint.

It will be just enough to take the edge off I assure you from experience.

Dyou

Dyou

Awards
  • Established
The name you are looking for is Inderal or propranolol (generic). It is a non-selective beta blocker and works better than anything I have tried for anxiety. If you have asthma you do not want to take this because it antagonizes b1 and b2 adrenergic receptors, so it will affect your breathing (more shallow). You could use Lopressor (metoprolol), which is selective for b2 receptors only (affecting the heart). B2 adrenergic receptors help regulate heart rate and response to stress. This formulation is less permeable in the cell membranes, so has a slower onset than Inderal.

As a pharmacy student I would reccommend 40mg inderal, 45mins before the social event. You will be nervous in your mind, but lack the heart rate increase or palpitations, sweating, and studdering/breathing problems. AKA the physiological symptoms of being nervous. This greatly helps and the calm feeling of your body will help you mentally feel calm and ready to go.

I know how just being above average in physique can make you feel on the spot just about all the time, as can a speech or interview. I have taken 1mg of ativan (lorazepam) and I will feel a little more calm, but it does nothing for the physical symptoms which make you appear and feel nervous. So I'd go with the Inderal.

Note: It does affect circulation and the ability to get a pump because your heart beats slower and your blood pressure is lowered. This would only be a problem if you took it regularly and not on a situational basis.

Hope this helps.
Awesome post ty verry much