Banned
Awards
CLA has been shown to :

- reduce body fat accretion and increase lean muscle mass
- improve immune function
- increase bone mineralisation
- inhibit carcinogenesis
- reduce atherosclerosis

Thats the CLA round up in a nut shell.....sounds to good to be true huh? I've been reading up on it and would like anyone who's used it to drop me a line about what you thought of it. Results, what your diet was like and what (if anything) you stacked it with. Its fairly cheap, wondering about the effectiveness....Thanks in advance, Yellowow Jacket ;)

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
If anyone has the sites lined out for the best sources post those up to please. I have known about CLA for along time now but have yet to use it. I remember reading numerous threads at bb.com about it. Looking forward to this thread as well!

Last edited:

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Heres a study I found on it, sums up CLA nicely, but I'd still like some personal feedback....

By Nicolle Charbonneau
HealthSCOUT Reporter

TUESDAY, Aug. 22 (HealthSCOUT) -- If you're sick of the drastic swings of dieting, where fat drops off at first but returns with a vengeance, a new study may give you some hope.
Combine your diet with a popular supplement called conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), say researchers, and while you'll still regain weight once you stop dieting, it will be more muscle than usual.

Found naturally in cheese, beef and ground turkey, CLA is considered an antioxidant and anticarcinogen that stimulates immune activity.

While it may not be a magic weight-loss pill, experts say CLA could provide some help for the 97 million Americans struggling with obesity.

The study, by researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, was presented yesterday at the American Chemical Society Meeting in Washington, D.C., by one of its lead researchers, Michael W. Pariza.

Eighty people were placed on a diet, coupled with a moderate physical exercise program. Half received about 3 grams of CLA daily, while the others took a placebo of sunflower oil. After six months, all had lost roughly 5 pounds.

About one-third of those taking CLA actually gained muscle and lost fat, Pariza says. While those taking the sunflower oil regained their weight at a ratio of about 75 percent fat to 25 percent muscle once the study finished, which is typical, those taking CLA who regained weight put on equal proportions of fat to muscle.

"CLA appears to be very helpful in helping people control weight," says Pariza. "It's not going to cause you to lose fat, but once you have achieved the weight loss that you want from a traditional diet, then at that point you could use CLA to control your weight, so you don't gain it all back -- the old yo-yo syndrome."

How does it work?

"In a general sense, what it's doing is keeping little fat cells from getting big," says Pariza, perhaps by blocking certain enzymes that let fat cells swell.

There appeared to be no side effects from the supplement, says Pariza. At the same time, questionnaires done every two weeks during the trial revealed that those taking CLA were less depressed, had fewer stomach problems and could concentrate and sleep better.

Pariza's was not the only study dealing with CLA at the meeting.

Ola Gudmundsen, chief executive officer of Scandinavian Clinical Research AS, presented a study that suggests CLA could help people lose weight overall, primarily by reducing fat mass.

Sixty overweight people who were not allowed to diet were randomly assigned to take either a 9-gram placebo of olive oil or 1.7 grams, 3.4 grams, 5.1 grams or 6.8 grams of CLA daily for 12 weeks. Their body fat composition was measured at the start, middle and end of that time.

"We saw that they had a significant reduction in weight in the CLA group," says Gudmundsen. "It was about 2.2 pounds in 12 weeks."

However, the researchers found that overwhelmingly, this loss was from body fat, and didn't affect overall weight or body mass index. The 3.4-gram dose appeared to be the most effective, safest dose.

And there were some side effects. The supplement, given in oil, produced mild gastrointestinal upset.

The participants were not followed once they stopped taking the supplement; something Gudmundsen believes should be looked at in future studies.

CLA - Conjugated Linoleic Acid - is not a new discovery as some magazines would have you believe. However, a better understanding of its effects are leading to potential applications that are extremely new and exciting. AST Sports Science was the first company to report on CLA’s possible benefits to the athlete over two years ago, and recent studies are backing up our predictions.

CLA was discovered by accident in 1978 by Michael W. Pariza at the University of Wisconsin while looking for mutagen formations in meat during cooking. CLA, found naturally in many animal products, consists of positional and geometric isomers of linoleic acid. The difference between the two centers around CLA’s conjugated double bonds at carbon atoms 10 and 12 or 9 and 11. The 9 cis, 11 trans isomer is considered the most biologically active form of CLA.

Although all the intricacies of CLA are not fully understood, it is widely accepted in the research community that CLA counterbalances the negative effects of linoleic acid and regulates fat and protein metabolism in animals. Pariza, director of the Food Research Institute at the University of Wisconsin said, “A growing body of data indicates that CLA is a newly recognized nutrient that functions to regulate energy retention and metabolism.” CLA can best be described as a “Growth Factor”.

Food intake efficiency! CLA has been shown in animal studies to increase growth rate through increased feed efficiency. In controlled studies, animals that had their diets supplemented with CLA increased their body protein (muscle tissue) while at the same time, had a significant decrease in body fat. This all occurred in the CLA supplemented animals while their food intake was decreased. Their lean mass increased even though they were eating less! This indicates that CLA increases feed efficiency and also points to a potent nutrient repartitioning effect.

This significant change in body composition can also be attributed in part to CLA’s effect on immune function. When CLA levels fall, interleukin-1 and tumor necrosis factor-a are involved in the accumulation of body fat. CLA has been shown to inhibit the lean tissue wasting caused by high levels of these cytokines.

Actual human studies are on the way with anticipation of similar outcomes. CLA may be the most significant bodybuilding nutrient discovered in this decade. With anti-catabolic effects rivaling even the strongest pharmaceutical compounds, CLA is a naturally occurring nutrient with the ability to help you pack on lean muscle, reduce body fat and at the same time possesses health promoting properties.

CLA occurs naturally in foods such as milk, cheese, beef, and lamb as well as many processed foods. One processed food in particular that’s high in CLA is Cheez Wiz®. But getting enough CLA from your diet for the preferred benefit would require considerable intake of these types of foods. This is not only impractical, but would also have a seriously negative impact on your metabolism due to the high caloric penalty you would pay.

Since this research has surfaced, a more economical and efficient way to get the required CLA has been devised. Through advanced lipid technology, a CLA synthesizing process allows for precision intake through premeasured softgel capsules. This allows for precise CLA intake at determined time intervals without the high calorie food consumption. Not only has CLA been shown to increase muscle mass while reducing body fat, studies have also shown remarkable anti-catabolic, antioxidant, immune enhancement, and anti-cancer benefits. Several other studies have even revealed dramatic cholesterol reducing effects. All this from a structured lipid. A “designer fat” if you would.

To the athlete looking to add more muscle and drop body fat, CLA is a unique discovery that will make accomplishing this feat easier and faster, all the while having positive effects on immune function and antioxidant status, as well as cholesterol lowering effects

Dr of Golf

Awards
JesupGym.com has those same 90 caps for $13.50 and with EasyPriceMatch.com's 5% deal, they'd be $12.83. :)

I'd be interested in personal results, too. Thanks!

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
JesupGym.com has those same 90 caps for $13.50 and with EasyPriceMatch.com's 5% deal, they'd be $12.83. :)

Great find D.O.G- Now Im off to recruit CLA users ;)

Kerruptt

Awards
I just started the stuff today along with some caff, seeing if I can replicate those studies showing it reduced the # of fat cells. Somehow I dont see that happening but I have noticed a warming effect none the less.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
I just started the stuff today along with some caff, seeing if I can replicate those studies showing it reduced the # of fat cells. Somehow I dont see that happening but I have noticed a warming effect none the less.
Very nice.....do us all a favor and maybe once a week or so come here and chart your progress if you dont mind.

SteveDFW

Awards
From what I have read from user's experiences on other boards, one needs to take at least 10 grams and preferably 20 grams a day to really see anything. Also, guarana has shown to increase CLA results.

The cheapest I have found CLA is at Kilosports (1000/1000mg caps for $150).

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
1fast has a great deal on NOW Foods's CLA 180 caps 1000m

http://www.1fast400.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=35

I've used CLA many times since about 97, when I read abot it from Bill Phillips (he did have some great ideas, pimp or not) ;) I've found results at 6g and above, 9g seems to be a nice dosage. I stopped using this mainly because of the price, not that it doesn't work.

I think that if you find some relatively cheap, Mike's isn't all that bad as well as Doc's there, then go for it. It did help me, and now that I think of it I did loose alot of fat when I was on it, but had a good diet, cardio, and ECA at the time also. Maybe I'll get some for the Spring cut again, it's been awhile sice I've used it. Nice post YJ. :)

BTW You also get some CLA from milkfat if anyone isn't drinking skim milk, and I think some nuts as well, I could look that up again because I have no life :D

Dr of Golf

Awards
So far, pricewise, the best deal is from 1Fast. Thanks for getting that info, jweave23. :)

Kerruptt

Awards
Just a heads up. I'm going to be taking about 15g a day along with guarana split into 3g/200mg 5 times a day. Im cutting too. Current weight is 175 and my bodyfat is high enough to notice any significant results :)

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Just a heads up. I'm going to be taking about 15g a day along with guarana split into 3g/200mg 5 times a day. Im cutting too. Current weight is 175 and my bodyfat is high enough to notice any significant results :)
Am I understanding this right. It is going to cost you about $80 a month just for the CLA?

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Kerruptt
I think you are wasting your money at 15g/daily. Try 9g/day, that is a high dose and should give you decent results.

Dio

Awards
I used CLA at 6 grams/day along with xenadrine EFX. I call this the "waste of my money stack."

SteveDFW

Awards
I was wondering is there any oil/food out there that has a pretty good amount of CLA in it? If so, it might lower the costs of trying to exploit the possible benefits of CLA.

Buck

Awards
I have been taking CLA for about 4 months now. I have just decided a few days ago to take it out of my stack. I just haven't seen any results on it.

Of course it may be that I wasn't getting enough daily to see anything. I am only taking 1 capsule but am not sure of the dosage on it. Will get that and report back.

As far where to buy. My wife found a deal on CLA at a local health food store. It was buy 1 get 1 free and was about $14. So shop around and see what you can find.

chi_town

Keto Jedi / HomeBrew Advocate
Awards
I've used CLA when bulking as it's suppose to help keep bulks leaner from what I've read. I use between 5-9 grams a day and felt that it is worthwhile if you can get it at a decent price like 1fast has. I have never used it stricly byitself and have never used it while cutting either.

I'm curious to see other's experiences.

PEACE

institutional

Awards
one of my female clients i was training was taking CLA at 5g daily, and she was very strict with her diet, and cardio, and she saw absolutly no results from it. ive heard from many that in order for it to be effective in humans we have to take a very high dosage, so it would costs an arm and a leg.
btw-she finally decided to a keto diet, and she could never be happier, she looks wonderful. she said she will be on a low carb diet for life. not I!

1Fast400

Awards
  • Established
Maybe we should put something in the "lowest prices" thread about me actually having something cheaper than other shops.

:D

BTW, it is 40 bucks cheaper to buy the Now Foods than the kilosports versions all things being equal.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
By all means brother, give us a link and we'll throw it in there......

1Fast400

Awards
  • Established
Nah, I'm not trying to get into a cock fight with prices. If I was, I'd charge a whole lot more for this cyclo mix I have coming in.

I just wanted to bust your balls on it :)

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Nah, I'm not trying to get into a cock fight with prices. If I was, I'd charge a whole lot more for this cyclo mix I have coming in.

I just wanted to bust your balls on it :)
Thats cool man, Then I'll post it myself... ;) I have to give you some credit man....you do have some rare goodies and good prices. Other places are cheaper, doesnt mean your prices are absurd ;)

Kerruptt

Awards
Yes, close to that. But I got scholarships to pay for college tuition and my internship pays well so basically I blow money on trying things like this. Sounds stupid? Yes, probably but I like the idea of figuring out what effect it will have.

Buck

Awards
Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. Wife had a death in the family so I have been out of town. Anyway I have been taking 1g daily and haven't noticed anything. Of course that was the dosage recommended on the bottle I got. And I am taking to much junk so when it is gone I am not going to get it again, just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Timbo

Awards
Some of the doses you guys mention for CLA are simply outrageous. You'll find that you do need a pretty hefty dose to reap the wonderful benefits--as found in the literature--but I don't think that you need to take much more than six capsules per day, but that depends on the type of CLA you are taking. Specifically, much of the research shows the lowest effective dose of CLA at 3.4g/day. Now, depending on the amount of actual Conjugated Linoleic Acid per capsule, the number of capsules per day to achieve such a dose may vary. So just because you're taking 4 capsules does not necessarily mean you're getting adequate amounts. Check the back of the label for the CLA concentration per capsule. The brand that I take (Tonalin) provides a little over 80% per cap, so at six caps per day, I'm looking at just under 5g daily (~4.8g or so).

You should try to find the brand with the highest concentration--just like fish oil capsules and EPA/DHA concentration. Sure, you may find some cheapie out there, but if the concentration's only half that of a good brand, are you doing yourself any favors? Just some points to consider, guys.

I just began taking CLA again (at the dosage mentioned above). I've taken it previously and feel that I noticed some good results. Specifically, I was preparing for a photo shoot and attempting to get as lean as possible. Well, this involved some very low calorie, carbohydrate and fat dieting and was to the extreme. I feel that CLA not only helped me achieve maximum muscularity--not sure on the bodyfat but skinfold measures were sub 2% (which is impossible)--but maintain maximum amount of lean while dieting extremely hard.

Timbo

Awards
An intrigued mind is quick to act. Check out this abstract, my friends:
Conjugated Linoleic Acid Reduces Body Fat Mass in Overweight and Obese Humans
Henrietta Blankson, Jacob A. Stakkestad*, Hans Fagertun, Erling Thom**, Jan Wadstein and Ola Gudmundsen

Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) has been shown to reduce body fat mass (BFM) in animals. To investigate the dose-response relationships of conjugated linoleic acid with regard to BFM in humans, a randomized, double-blind study including 60 overweight or obese volunteers (body mass index 25–35 kg/m2) was performed. The subjects were divided into five groups receiving placebo (9 g olive oil), 1.7, 3.4, 5.1 or 6.8 g conjugated linoleic acid per day for 12 wk, respectively. Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry was used to measure body composition [measurements at wk 0 (baseline), 6 and 12]. Of the 60 subjects, 47 completed the study. Eight subjects withdrew from the study due to adverse events; however, no differences among treatment groups were found regarding adverse events. Repeated-measures analysis showed that a significantly higher reduction in BFM was found in the conjugated linoleic acid groups compared with the placebo group (P = 0.03). The reduction of body fat within the groups was significant for the 3.4 and 6.8 g CLA groups (P = 0.05 and P = 0.02, respectively). No significant differences among the groups were observed in lean body mass, body mass index, blood safety variables or blood lipids. The data suggest that conjugated linoleic acid may reduce BFM in humans and that no additional effect on BFM is achieved with doses > 3.4 g CLA/d.

Another reason why the brand is important is because the specific isomer of the Conjugate Linoleic Acid is critical. To support this, check out this abstract:

The trans-10,cis-12 Isomer of Conjugated Linoleic Acid Downregulates Stearoyl-CoA Desaturase 1 Gene Expression in 3T3-L1 Adipocytes
Youngjin Choi*,, Young-Cheul Kim*, Yong-Bong Han, Yeonhwa Park**, Michael W. Pariza** and James M. Ntambi*,

Conjugated linoleic acids (CLA) are a group of positional and geometric conjugated dienoic isomers of linoleic acid. The objective of this study was to determine the effects of the cis-9,trans-11 and trans-10,cis-12 isomers of conjugated linoleic acid on lipid composition and gene expression during the differentiation of mouse 3T3-L1 preadipocytes. Treatment of differentiating 3T3-L1 preadipocytes with trans-10,cis-12 conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) resulted in a dose-dependent decrease in the expression of the stearoyl-CoA desaturase 1 gene (SCD1). The expression of other adipocyte genes such as adipose P2 (aP2), fatty acid synthase (FAS), SCD2 and the key adipogenic transcription factors, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor 2 (PPAR2) and CCAAT enhancer binding protein (C/EBP), remained elevated. Cells treated with trans-10,cis-12 CLA exhibited smaller lipid droplets, with reduced levels of the major monounsaturated fatty acids, palmitoleate and oleate. By contrast, the cis-9,trans-11 isomer did not alter adipocyte gene expression. Repression of the stearoyl-CoA desaturase gene expression in adipocytes by the trans-10,cis-12 isomer may contribute to the mechanisms by which CLA reduces body fat in mice.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
guys dont forget.. this stuff isnt really for losing fat.. but instead for maintaining your results after a cut.. by reading that article it seems pointless to even take it until after a cut cycle..

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
yeah, does a lot more for animals than humans it would seem...

J Strength Cond Res 2002 Aug;16(3):325-34
Effects of conjugated linoleic acid supplementation during resistance training on body composition, bone density, strength, and selected hematological markers.

Kreider RB, Ferreira MP, Greenwood M, Wilson M, Almada AL.

Exercise and Sport Nutrition Laboratory, Department of Human Movement Sciences and Education, University of Memphis, Tennessee 38152, USA. [email protected]

Conjugated linoleic acids (CLA) are essential fatty acids that have been reported in animal studies to decrease catabolism, promote fat loss, increase bone density, enhance immunity, and serve as an antiatherogenic and anticarcinogenic agent. For this reason, CLA has been marketed as a supplement to promote weight loss and general health. CLA has also been heavily marketed to resistance-trained athletes as a supplement that may help lessen catabolism, decrease body fat, and promote greater gains in strength and muscle mass during training. Although basic research is promising, few studies have examined whether CLA supplementation during training enhances training adaptations and/or affects markers of health. This study evaluated whether CLA supplementation during resistance training affects body composition, strength, and/or general markers of catabolism and immunity. In a double-blind and randomized manner, 23 experienced, resistance-trained subjects were matched according to body mass and training volume and randomly assigned to supplement their diet with 9 g;pdd(-1) of an olive oil placebo or 6 g;pdd(-1) of CLA with 3 g;pdd(-1) of fatty acids for 28 days. Prior to and following supplementation, fasting blood samples, total body mass, and dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) determined body composition, and isotonic bench press and leg press 1 repetition maximums (1RMs) were determined. Results revealed that although some statistical trends were observed with moderate to large effect sizes, CLA supplementation did not significantly affect (p > 0.05) changes in total body mass, fat-free mass, fat mass, percent body fat, bone mass, strength, serum substrates, or general markers of catabolism and immunity during training. These findings indicate that CLA does not appear to possess significant ergogenic value for experienced resistance-trained athletes.
-----------------------------------------------------

Lipids 2001 Aug;36(8):767-72

Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on fatty acid and glycerol kinetics.

Zambell KL, Horn WF, Keim NL.

USDA/Western Human Nutrition Research Center, Department of Exercise Science, University of California, Davis 95616, USA.

Recent studies with mouse adipocytes have shown that dietary conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) may reduce body fat by increasing lipolysis. The present study examined the effect of CLA supplementation on fatty acid and glycerol kinetics in six healthy, adult women who were participating in a controlled metabolic ward study. These women were fed six CLA capsules per day (3.9 g/d) for 64 d following a baseline period of 30 d. The subjects were confined to a metabolic suite for the entire 94-d study, where diet and activity were controlled and held constant. The rate of appearance (Ra) of glycerol, which indicates lipolytic rates, was similar at baseline and after 4 wk of CLA supplementation at rest (1.87 +/- 0.21 and 2.00 +/- 0.39 micromol/kg/min, respectively) and during exercise (7.12 +/- 0.74 and 6.40 +/- 0.99 micromol/kg/min, respectively). Likewise, the Ra of free fatty acids (FFA) was not significantly different after 4 wk of dietary CLA at rest (2.72 +/- 0.06 and 2.74 +/- 0.12 micromol/kg/min, respectively) or during exercise (6.99 +/- 0.40 and 5.88 +/- 0.29 micromol/kg/min, respectively). CLA supplementation also had no effect on the percentage of FFA released from lipolysis that were re-esterified. The apparent rate of FFA re-esterification was 65.2 +/- 4.2% at rest and 32.1 +/- 3.44% during exercise. Four weeks of CLA supplementation had no significant effect on fatty acid or glycerol metabolism in healthy, weight-stable, adult women.
----------------------------------------------------

Lipids 2000 Jul;35(7):777-82
Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on body composition and energy expenditure.

Zambell KL, Keim NL, Van Loan MD, Gale B, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ.

U.S. Department of Agriculture/Western Human Nutrition Research Center, University of California, Davis 95616, USA.

Recent animal studies have demonstrated that dietary conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) reduces body fat and that this decrease may be due to a change in energy expenditure. The present study examined the effect of CLA supplementation on body composition and energy expenditure in healthy, adult women. Seventeen women were fed either a CLA capsule (3 g/d) or a sunflower oil placebo for 64 d following a baseline period of 30 d. The subjects were confined to a metabolic suite for the entire 94 d study where diet and activity were controlled and held constant. Change in fat-free mass, fat mass, and percentage body fat were unaffected by CLA supplementation (0.18+/-0.43 vs. 0.09+/-0.35 kg; 0.01+/-0.64 vs. -0.19+/-0.53 kg; 0.05+/-0.62 vs. -0.67+/-0.51%, placebo vs. CLA, respectively). Likewise, body weight was not significantly different in the placebo vs. the CLA group (0.48+/-0.55 vs. -0.24+/-0.46 kg change). Energy expenditure (kcal/min), fat oxidation, and respiratory exchange ratio were measured once during the baseline period and during weeks 4 and 8 of the intervention period. At all three times, measurements were taken while resting and walking. CLA had no significant effect on energy expenditure, fat oxidation, or respiratory exchange ratio at rest or during exercise. When dietary intake was controlled, 64 d of CLA supplementation at 3 g/d had no significant effect on body composition or energy expenditure in adult women, which contrasts with previous findings in animals.
------------------------------------------------------------

Altern Med Rev 2001 Aug;6(4):367-82

Conjugated linoleic acid: a review.

Kelly GS.

Alternative Medicine Review, 179 Dwight Street, Apt 303, New Haven, CT 06511, USA. [email protected]

Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) refers to a group of positional and geometric isomers of the omega-6 essential fatty acid linoleic acid (cis-9, cis-12, octadecadienoic acid). In humans evidence is currently ambiguous as to whether CLA supplementation has a significant effect on body composition. Despite favorable changes in lipid levels in animal models, a beneficial effect in humans has not yet been established. While some of the changes reported are consistent with an improved lipid profile, declines in HDL and increases in lipoprotein (a) have also been observed in some subjects. Available evidence suggests CLA supplementation has no impact on immune system performance in healthy subjects.
--------------------------------------------------------

Lipids 2001 Mar;36(3):229-36

The effect of conjugated linoleic acid on plasma lipoproteins and tissue fatty acid composition in humans.

Benito P, Nelson GJ, Kelley DS, Bartolini G, Schmidt PC, Simon V.

Western Human Nutrition Research Center, USDA, One Shields Ave., University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA.

Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) has been suggested by some animal studies to possess antiatherogenic properties. To determine, in humans, the effect of dietary CLA on blood lipids, lipoproteins, and tissue fatty acid composition, we conducted a 93-d study with 17 healthy female volunteers at the Metabolic Research Unit of the Western Human Nutrition Research Center. Throughout the study, subjects were fed a low-fat diet [30 energy percent (en%) fat, 19 en% protein, and 51 en% carbohydrate] that consisted of natural foods with the recommended dietary allowances for all known nutrients. After a 30-d stabilization period, subjects were randomly assigned to either an intervention group (n = 10) supplemented daily with capsules containing 3.9 g of CLA or a control group (n = 7) that received an equivalent amount of sunflower oil. The CLA capsules (CLA 65%) contained four major cis/trans geometric isomers (11.4% 9 cis-,11 trans-18:2; 10.8% 8 trans-,10 cis-18:2; 15.3% 11 cis-,13 trans-18:2; and 14.7% 10 trans-,12 cis-18:2) and their corresponding cis/cis (6.74% total) and trans/trans (5.99% total) varieties in smaller amounts. Fasting blood was drawn on study days 30 (end of the stabilization period), 60 (midpoint of the intervention period), and 93 (end of the intervention period). Adipose tissue samples were taken on days 30 and 93. CLA supplementation for 63 d did not change the levels of plasma cholesterol, low density lipoprotein cholesterol, high density lipoprotein cholesterol, and triglycerides. The weight percentage of CLA in plasma increased from 0.28 +/- 0.06 to 1.09 +/- 0.31 (n = 10, P < 0.05) after the supplementation. The 9 cis-,11 trans-isomer was the most prominent variety followed by the 11 cis-,13 trans- and 10 trans-,12 cis-isomers in lesser amounts. CLA in adipose tissue was not influenced by the supplementation (0.79 +/- 0.18 to 0.83 +/- 0.19 wt%) (n = 10) and the 9 cis-,11 trans-variety was the only isomer present. Thus, contrary to findings from some animal studies, CLA does not seem to offer health benefits, in the short term, regarding the prevention of atherosclerosis in humans. CLA supplementation for 2 mon did not alter the blood cholesterol or lipoprotein levels of healthy, normolipidemic subjects. The supplementation did increase CLA in the plasma but only 4.23% of the ingested CLA was present in the plasma at any given time. No adverse effect of CLA supplementation was detected in this study.
--------------------------------------------------

Lipids 2000 Jul;35(7):783-8

Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on circulating leptin concentrations and appetite.

Medina EA, Horn WF, Keim NL, Havel PJ, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ, Erickson KL.

Department of Cell Biology and Human Anatomy, School of Medicine, University of California, Davis 95616, USA.

Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) has been demonstrated to reduce body fat in animals. However, the mechanism by which this reduction occurs is unknown. Leptin may mediate the effect of CLA to decrease body fat. We assessed the effects of 64 d of CLA supplementation (3 g/d) on circulating leptin, insulin, glucose, and lactate concentrations in healthy women. Appetite was assessed as a physiological correlate of changes in circulating leptin levels. Analysis of plasma leptin concentrations adjusted for adiposity by using fat mass as a covariate showed that CLA supplementation significantly decreased circulating leptin concentrations in the absence of any changes of fat mass. Mean leptin levels decreased over the first 7 wk and then returned to baseline levels over the last 2 wk of the study in the CLA-treated group. Appetite parameters measured at around the time when the greatest decreases in leptin levels were observed showed no significant differences between supplementation and baseline determinations in the CLA-supplemented group or between the CLA and placebo-supplemented groups. There was a nonsignificant trend for mean insulin levels to increase toward the end of the supplementation period in CLA-treated subjects. CLA did not affect plasma glucose and lactate over the treatment period. Thus, 64 d of CLA supplementation in women produced a transient decrease in leptin levels but did not alter appetite. CLA did not affect these parameters in a manner that promoted decreases of adiposity.

MushMouth

Awards
Most of the info I've looked at indicates that CLA doesn't so much stimulate fat loss as it prevents fat gain through improved nutrient partioning, and thus might be of more benefit during a bulking phase than a cutting phase. There's also the issue of which isomers are being used in these studies ... different isomers have yielded different results. Its the trans-10, cis-12 isomer that has the benefits (as shown in Timbo's study.) There's also evidence that the cis-9, trans-11 isomer is of benefit as well. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10632956&dopt=Abstract

Last edited:

Kerruptt

Awards
Fonz on EF supposed that it was limiting the synthesis of Fat and my results recently lend in agreement to that, although the gain in muscle mass seen by a few users (Fonz CLA experiment and posts on Animal's board) dont make much sense.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
disclaimer: let me first state i am not even close to being a fan of vpx......but...
they have a product called thinfat that contains 4.4 grams of tonalin cla per serving at 30(actually theres 60 servings but im going on 2 servings a day at 8.8 grams a day) servings of 4.4 grams for 24 bucks from dps i think this is a better deal than anyone..muscleshoppe also has it heres the link to the labelhttp://www.muscleshoppe.com/site/label.cfm?label=5403
now for some reason they dont list it as tonalin but i have a advertisement with thinfat and it has tonalin listed right on the label clear as day

Kerruptt

Awards
Doses need to be around 10-20g per day or higher (Seen people doing 30g a day)....anywhere you can get alot of Tonalin is great

Thanks for the tip.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
just from what i read here, 10, 20, or 30g a day is pointless.

1Fast400

Awards
  • Established
They had an error with the labels, when buying it realize the 240cc is labeled the same as the 120cc (saying it only has 30 servings) when it really has 60.

1Fast400

Awards
  • Established
different isomers have yielded different results

This is something that will come to light over the next year as the 10,12 is produced as a sole supplement. Raws have been found, but I believe the price will need to come down before anything is done. It is going to be a big risk for someone. Hopefully a good human study will be done on the different isomers soon.

GuyinLA

Awards

The better deal is at 1fast400. NOW foods 180 softgels for $19.99. I suppose you could get the easypricematch 5% discount as well.

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
dps has the same deal..vpx at 60 servings of 4400 mg tonalin(equals 240 now caps)

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I recently stopped taking CLA after using Primordials brand for 1 year straight. It did keep me lean because I gained some of the fat back that I lost while dieting. Cla is something you have to take for an extended period of time to notice the effects. You will definitely notice them when you stop. I also seemed to lose a bit of strength when I stopped taking them.