Supplements to increase platelet count
- 12-18-2008, 08:05 PM
- 12-18-2008, 11:56 PMBoard Sponsor
- 5'1" 121 lbs.
- Join Date
- Mar 2008
If you have a low RBC count, then there is the possibility of a blood disorder or existing medical condition causing this.
Supplementing with the hormone erythropoietin (EPO) would definitely help with this (not recommended, though), as it is the stimulus for RBC production. Otherwise, supplementing with amino acids, certain B vitamins, and iron may help in RBC synthesis (Marieb, 2004).
Note that exercise is also stimulus for RBC production.
If you mean actual PLATELETS (i.e. cell fragments that are instrumental in blood clotting): Platelet formation is regulated by the hormone thrombopoietin (TPO) (Marieb, 2004). Anything that would decrease estrogen may aid in the production of platelets, as estrogen is an inhibitor of Interleukin-6 (IL-6), an immunomodulatory cytokine that stimulates TPO synthesis (Wolber & Jelkman, 2000).
Similar Forum Threads
- By Shavani in forum SupplementsReplies: 7Last Post: 01-27-2011, 02:58 PM
- By Riquee in forum Nutrition / HealthReplies: 0Last Post: 05-04-2009, 10:56 PM
- By tryingharder in forum SupplementsReplies: 19Last Post: 07-02-2008, 01:37 AM
- By rxp1997 in forum SupplementsReplies: 10Last Post: 04-11-2007, 01:27 AM
- By johnyq in forum SupplementsReplies: 13Last Post: 03-09-2007, 04:46 PM