Supplements to increase platelet count
- 12-18-2008, 09:05 PM
- 12-19-2008, 12:56 AM
If you have a low RBC count, then there is the possibility of a blood disorder or existing medical condition causing this.
Supplementing with the hormone erythropoietin (EPO) would definitely help with this (not recommended, though), as it is the stimulus for RBC production. Otherwise, supplementing with amino acids, certain B vitamins, and iron may help in RBC synthesis (Marieb, 2004).
Note that exercise is also stimulus for RBC production.
If you mean actual PLATELETS (i.e. cell fragments that are instrumental in blood clotting): Platelet formation is regulated by the hormone thrombopoietin (TPO) (Marieb, 2004). Anything that would decrease estrogen may aid in the production of platelets, as estrogen is an inhibitor of Interleukin-6 (IL-6), an immunomodulatory cytokine that stimulates TPO synthesis (Wolber & Jelkman, 2000).
Similar Forum Threads
- By Shavani in forum SupplementsReplies: 8Last Post: 12-16-2016, 04:27 PM
- By mondata in forum SupplementsReplies: 65Last Post: 10-04-2012, 08:24 AM
- By nobel252 in forum SupplementsReplies: 17Last Post: 07-07-2011, 12:46 AM
- By GTX in forum SupplementsReplies: 21Last Post: 01-26-2009, 10:13 AM
- By bulls**t in forum SupplementsReplies: 3Last Post: 09-28-2006, 12:23 PM