Supplements to increase platelet count

freqfly

freqfly

Awards
  • Established
I just had bloodwork done and my platelet count is low. I am going to the doc first part of january to get it analyzed further, but for now are their supplements/herbs to increase platelet production? Tks bros~

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I just had bloodwork done and my platelet count is low. I am going to the doc first part of january to get it analyzed further, but for now are their supplements/herbs to increase platelet production? Tks bros~
By 'platelet count' are you meaning red blood cells (RBC)?

If you have a low RBC count, then there is the possibility of a blood disorder or existing medical condition causing this.

Supplementing with the hormone erythropoietin (EPO) would definitely help with this (not recommended, though), as it is the stimulus for RBC production. Otherwise, supplementing with amino acids, certain B vitamins, and iron may help in RBC synthesis (Marieb, 2004).

Note that exercise is also stimulus for RBC production.

If you mean actual PLATELETS (i.e. cell fragments that are instrumental in blood clotting): Platelet formation is regulated by the hormone thrombopoietin (TPO) (Marieb, 2004). Anything that would decrease estrogen may aid in the production of platelets, as estrogen is an inhibitor of Interleukin-6 (IL-6), an immunomodulatory cytokine that stimulates TPO synthesis (Wolber & Jelkman, 2000).