icariin

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

icariin

i dont get it, icariin is shown to "mimic" testosterone......so by saying "mimic" they mean imitate....what is it imitating, the anabolic effects of testosterone or the sexual benefits?? is it boosting testosterone?? i just dont get it, i tried searching it and i couldnt find much....i didnt search the forums so i will do that now...if anyone can help me that would be great thanks guys

2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

I have seen quite a few studies on the topic- short version- icariin has some cortisol and estrogen-antagonistic qualities, mood elevation, increases in bone mass and density, and also has some very noticeable effects on ACh- plus, at higher doses, it is a strong PDE-5 inhibitor. The conglomeration of several different aforementioned effects exerted by icariin parallel those of testosterone, but icariin does not directly effect the AR- rather, it antagonizes E receptors and also competes with cortisol for binding sites
    Dirk Tanis, BA, MSci
    Chief Operating Officer, Applied Nutriceuticals
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

wow thanks just what i was lookin for dude, and yah all i could find was info about it being a PDE-5 inhibitor.......thanks again didnt know that, know i feel even better about ordering RPM
    •   

4. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by just93 View Post
    i dont get it, icariin is shown to "mimic" testosterone......so by saying "mimic" they mean imitate....what is it imitating, the anabolic effects of testosterone or the sexual benefits?? is it boosting testosterone?? i just dont get it, i tried searching it and i couldnt find much....i didnt search the forums so i will do that now...if anyone can help me that would be great thanks guys

maybe this can help

The testosterone mimetic properties of icariin.
    Zhang ZB, Yang QT.

Department of Urology, Second Affiliated Hospital, Shantou University Medical College, Shantou 515041, China. zbzhang@stu.edu.cn

AIM: To evaluate the testosterone mimetic properties of icariin. METHODS: Forty-eight healthy male Sprague-Dawley rats at the age of 15 months were randomly divided into four groups with 12 rats each: the control group (C), the model group (M), the icariin group (ICA) and the testosterone group (T). The reproductive system was damaged by cyclophosphamide (intraperitoneal injection, 20 mg/kg x day) for 5 consecutive days for groups M, ICA and T, at the sixth day, ICA (gastric gavage, 200 mg/kg x day) for the ICA group and sterandryl (subcutaneous injection, 5 mg/rat . day) for the T group for 7 consecutive days, respectively. The levels of serum testosterone, luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), serum bone Gla-protein (BGP) and tartrate-resistant acid phosphatase activity in serum (StrACP) were determined. The histological changes of the testis and the penis were observed by microscope with hematoxylin-eosin (HE) staining and terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase biotin-dUTP-X nick end labeling (TUNEL), respectively. RESULTS: (1) Icariin improved the condition of reproductive organs and increased the circulating levels of testosterone. (2) Icariin treatment also improved the steady-state serum BGP and might have promoted bone formation. At the same time, it decreased the serum levels of StrACP and might have reduced the bone resorption. (3) Icarrin suppressed the extent of apoptosis of penile cavernosal smooth muscle cells. CONCLUSION: Icariin has testosterone mimetic properties and has therapeutic potential in the management of hypoandrogenism.

you get a nice dose of it in STOKED!
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

thanks and would you choose STOKED! over RPM for the icariin or what?

would staking the two be beneficial ??
  6. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

thanks and would you choose STOKED! over RPM for the icariin or what?

would staking the two be beneficial ??

my one issue with RPM is stimulants, i dont use them.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

oh im a stim junkie lol...if you did what would you think between the two...just by looking at the profile of ingredients?
  8. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

oh im a stim junkie lol...if you did what would you think between the two...just by looking at the profile of ingredients?

they can definetly work well together.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

it wont be over kill??
    this sounds cool might order some for christmas and stack the both of them!
  10. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

it wont be over kill??
    this sounds cool might order some for christmas and stack the both of them!

if your worried run half dose of stoked and a full dose RPM
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

hmmmm, you think this would be as good as any other test booster out there or what?
  12. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

hmmmm, you think this would be as good as any other test booster out there or what?
    PCT assist is good as well, there are so many good ones its crazy
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

what do you think of this protocol?

2 stoked and 1 RPM in the AM

3 RPM around 3:00PM (when i lift)

2 stoked with dinner......

hows that look?
  14. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

what do you think of this protocol?

2 stoked and 1 RPM in the AM

3 RPM around 3:00PM (when i lift)

2 stoked with dinner......

hows that look?

looks ok to me. i would do 3 RPM total. i dont know how much icariin is in it and i dont wanna reccommend to high of a dose.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

yah your right dude, that does look like a little over kill...thanks again bro!

i will be sure to keep every one updated on my experiences!
  16. Registered User

or you can try this
    http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/n...-50-grams.html

It's helping with my high blood pressure too.
  17. Registered User

I would take a look at these popular products. Also, I wouldn't stack them. Try them one at a time to see what works best for you.

1.) Applied Nutraceuticals: RPM
    2.) Applied Nutraceuticals: Drive
    3.) Core Nutritionals: Core Zap
    4.) Competitive Edge Labs: PCT Assist
    5.) BCS Labs: 1.) Icariin 2.) phenom 3.) phenom amped
    6.) bulk icariin : powder here on nutra or Live Long Nutrition: Icariin 50 over at bb
    7.) Anabolic Innovations: Stoked

if you like stims then RPM, Core Zap, and phenom amped might be your favorite. Personally I think the most value in Icariin is pre-workout. So I only use it once a day. Others would argue that point but I'm talking about MOST value. Also, you'll save a bit of money. Also, you should cycle it. Most people say 4-8 weeks on and 2-4 weeks off.
  18. Senior Member
    Board Sponsor

Icariin's main strength is its role as a treatment for erectile dysfunction. and not a "test booster" as far as gaining LBM.

I would use icariin if you are having issues with ED/libido from stronger test boosters or for pre-existing ED.This is a pro-sexual compound and should not be considered as something along the lines of 6-OXO,Activate Extreme etc.It is within a seperate class altogether.

A test booster or PH along with icariin would make for a sweet stack as far as improving body composition and sexual well being,IMHO.I will get into this further when I finish the write up for Live Long Nutrition's Icariin-500.

Here's a post supporting icariin's novel role in treating ED,taken from the linked thread.I highly recommend this thread to anyone interested in icariin,great discussion was had.

New Icariin Study - Mind and Muscle Forums

[quote name='Benson' date='Mar 9 2006, 06:46 PM' post='314433']
    Came across this recent study on icariin, an erectogenic flavonoid of Epimedium sagittatum (Horny Goat Weed). It appears to enhance erectile response not through PDE-5 inhibition like sildenafil and related compounds but through a novel mechanism of action, the most interesting being a change in percentage of smooth muscle. This would mean that it would not be accutely very active but over time would likely improve erectile response in a more permenant manner.

Asian J Androl. 2005 Dec;7(4):381-8.
    Effects of icariin on erectile function and expression of nitric oxide synthase isoforms in castrated rats.

Liu WJ, Xin ZC, Xin H, Yuan YM, Tian L, Guo YL.

AIM: To investigate the effect of icariin on erectile function and the expression of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) isoforms in castrated rats. METHODS: Thirty-two adult male Wistar rats were randomly divided into one sham-operated group (A) and three castrated groups (B, C and D). One week after surgery, rats were treated with normal saline (groups A and B) or oral icariin (1 mg/[kg.day] for group C and 5 mg/[kg.day] for group D) for 4 weeks. One week after treatment, the erectile function of the rats was assessed by measuring intracavernosal pressure (ICP) during electrostimulation of the cavernosal nerve. The serum testosterone (ST) levels, the percent of smooth muscle (PSM) in trabecular tissue, and the expression of mRNA and proteins of neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS), inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) and phosphodiesterase V (PDE5) in corpus cavernosum (CC) were also evaluated. RESULTS: ICP, PSM, ST and the expression of nNOS, iNOS, eNOS and PDE5 were significantly decreased in group B compared with those in group A (P 0.01). However, ICP, PSM and the expression of nNOS and iNOS were increased in groups C and D compared with those in group B (P 0.05). Changes in ST and the expression of eNOS and PDE5 were not significant (P 0.05) in groups C and D compared with those in group B. CONCLUSION: Oral treatment with icariin ( 98.6 % purity) for 4 weeks potentially improves erectile function. This effect is correlated with an increase in PSM and the expression of certain NOS in the CC of castrated rats. These results suggest that icariin may have a therapeutic effect on erectile dysfunction.
    [/quote]
  19. Registered User

dont know why but RPM makes me annngggrrrryyy and mean, not a nice person. good preWO supp definitely.

ive tried bulk icariin throughout the day, made me a bit horny but thats about it, i prefer it with stim pre workout.

how anti-estrogenic is it? anybody know?
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

im curious as well, and yah it makes me pissed, but i kinda like i
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post
    my one issue with RPM is stimulants, i dont use them.
    Same here! I loved the angry/aggression I felt with RPM but I just don't do caffeine. I want to try Drive since it is similar. How could bulk icariin be dosed?
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

a little tidbit I found on icariin, on rats ... but who knows

"PROTECTIVE EFFECTS OF ICARIIN AGAINST LEARNING AND MEMORY DEFICITS INDUCED BY ALUMINIUM IN RATS ....
    Yong Luo*†, Jing Nie*, Qi-Hai Gong*, Yuan-Fu Lu*, Qin Wu* and Jing-Shan Shi*
    *Department of Pharmacology, Zunyi Medical College and † Department of Neurology, Guizhou Aerospace Hospital, Zunyi, Guizhou, China
    Correspondence: Jing-Shan Shi, Department of Pharmacology, Zunyi Medical College, Zunyi, Guizhou 563003, China. Email: Shijs@zmc.edu.cn
    Copyright 2007 The Authors
    Journal compilation 2007 Blackwell Publishing Asia Pty Ltd
    KEYWORDS
    Aβ1−40 • aluminium • icariin • learning and memory • malondialdehyde • superoxide dismutase
    SUMMARY
    Abstract INTRODUCTION METHODS RESULTS DISCUSSION ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS REFERENCES

The present study examined the protective effects of icariin against the learning and memory deficits in aluminium-treated rats and its potential mechanisms of action.

Qualified rats were treated with 1600 p.p.m. AlCl3 in drinking water for 8 months and the ability of spatial learning and memory was tested by the Morris water maze. In the place navigation test, aluminium administration significantly increased the mean escape latency and searching distance. In space probing test, aluminium markedly decreased the searching time and searching distance in the quadrant where the platform was originally located. All tests indicated deficits in rat spatial learning and memory induced by aluminium. Icariin treatment (60 and 120 mg/kg, by gavage for 3 months) dose-dependently protected against the development of aluminium-induced spatial learning and memory deficits.

To examine the mechanisms responsible for the protection afforded by icariin, the superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity and malondialdehyde (MDA) content in the hippocampus were assayed biochemically and the level of Aβ1−40 in the hippocampus was determined immunohistochemically. Icariin treatment significantly increased SOD activity and decreased MDA and Aβ1−40 content in the hippocampus of aluminium-intoxicated rats.

In conclusion, the present study demonstrates that icariin is effective in improving the spatial learning and memory of aluminium-intoxicated rats. The mechanisms responsible appear to be due, at least in part, to an increased anti-oxidant capacity and decreased lipid peroxidation and Aβ1−40 levels in the rat hippocampus."
  23. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by comacho View Post
    dont know why but RPM makes me annngggrrrryyy and mean, not a nice person. good preWO supp definitely.

ive tried bulk icariin throughout the day, made me a bit horny but thats about it, i prefer it with stim pre workout.

I think the angry feeling has something to do with ACh levels in the brain- but not absolutely sure....
    Dirk Tanis, BA, MSci
  24. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by comacho View Post

I don't have any Ki values for icariin- but I have seen some studies where it does serve as a fairly strong E antagonist....
    Dirk Tanis, BA, MSci
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

E for estrogen or for something else??

hhmmmmmm im going to do some thing but dont know what.....i dont want to go to "the darkside" again, and i want to bulk, diets down, just want some extra stuffs.....i was thinkin x-factor or max-out.....any one else have ideas that will show maybe 5-8 pound weight gains naturally??
  26. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

E for estrogen or for something else??

hhmmmmmm im going to do some thing but dont know what.....i dont want to go to "the darkside" again, and i want to bulk, diets down, just want some extra stuffs.....i was thinkin x-factor or max-out.....any one else have ideas that will show maybe 5-8 pound weight gains naturally??

stoked + AX+ZMA+ lean extreme for 8 weeks

Kristofer has ran this with Great results! i personally havent tried it though.
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

AX= activate xtreme right?
  28. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

AX= activate xtreme right?

yea
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

wow! isnt that expensive??
  30. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

wow! isnt that expensive??

im sure it is, i think theres some deals goin around at nutra 10% off stuff, and lower prices on other things.....
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. when will icariin be here?
    By mytime09 in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-30-2010, 10:41 AM
  2. The icariin log
    By matthias7 in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 134
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 10:38 AM
  3. Icariin
    By Patrick Arnold in forum Supplements