icariin

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
i dont get it, icariin is shown to "mimic" testosterone......so by saying "mimic" they mean imitate....what is it imitating, the anabolic effects of testosterone or the sexual benefits?? is it boosting testosterone?? i just dont get it, i tried searching it and i couldnt find much....i didnt search the forums so i will do that now...if anyone can help me that would be great thanks guys

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have seen quite a few studies on the topic- short version- icariin has some cortisol and estrogen-antagonistic qualities, mood elevation, increases in bone mass and density, and also has some very noticeable effects on ACh- plus, at higher doses, it is a strong PDE-5 inhibitor. The conglomeration of several different aforementioned effects exerted by icariin parallel those of testosterone, but icariin does not directly effect the AR- rather, it antagonizes E receptors and also competes with cortisol for binding sites

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
wow thanks just what i was lookin for dude, and yah all i could find was info about it being a PDE-5 inhibitor.......thanks again didnt know that, know i feel even better about ordering RPM

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i dont get it, icariin is shown to "mimic" testosterone......so by saying "mimic" they mean imitate....what is it imitating, the anabolic effects of testosterone or the sexual benefits?? is it boosting testosterone?? i just dont get it, i tried searching it and i couldnt find much....i didnt search the forums so i will do that now...if anyone can help me that would be great thanks guys

maybe this can help

The testosterone mimetic properties of icariin.
Zhang ZB, Yang QT.

Department of Urology, Second Affiliated Hospital, Shantou University Medical College, Shantou 515041, China. [email protected]

AIM: To evaluate the testosterone mimetic properties of icariin. METHODS: Forty-eight healthy male Sprague-Dawley rats at the age of 15 months were randomly divided into four groups with 12 rats each: the control group (C), the model group (M), the icariin group (ICA) and the testosterone group (T). The reproductive system was damaged by cyclophosphamide (intraperitoneal injection, 20 mg/kg x day) for 5 consecutive days for groups M, ICA and T, at the sixth day, ICA (gastric gavage, 200 mg/kg x day) for the ICA group and sterandryl (subcutaneous injection, 5 mg/rat . day) for the T group for 7 consecutive days, respectively. The levels of serum testosterone, luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), serum bone Gla-protein (BGP) and tartrate-resistant acid phosphatase activity in serum (StrACP) were determined. The histological changes of the testis and the penis were observed by microscope with hematoxylin-eosin (HE) staining and terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase biotin-dUTP-X nick end labeling (TUNEL), respectively. RESULTS: (1) Icariin improved the condition of reproductive organs and increased the circulating levels of testosterone. (2) Icariin treatment also improved the steady-state serum BGP and might have promoted bone formation. At the same time, it decreased the serum levels of StrACP and might have reduced the bone resorption. (3) Icarrin suppressed the extent of apoptosis of penile cavernosal smooth muscle cells. CONCLUSION: Icariin has testosterone mimetic properties and has therapeutic potential in the management of hypoandrogenism.

you get a nice dose of it in STOKED!

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
thanks and would you choose STOKED! over RPM for the icariin or what?

would staking the two be beneficial ??

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
oh im a stim junkie lol...if you did what would you think between the two...just by looking at the profile of ingredients?

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
it wont be over kill??
this sounds cool might order some for christmas and stack the both of them!

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
hmmmm, you think this would be as good as any other test booster out there or what?

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
what do you think of this protocol?

2 stoked and 1 RPM in the AM

3 RPM around 3:00PM (when i lift)

2 stoked with dinner......

hows that look?

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
what do you think of this protocol?

2 stoked and 1 RPM in the AM

3 RPM around 3:00PM (when i lift)

2 stoked with dinner......

hows that look?

looks ok to me. i would do 3 RPM total. i dont know how much icariin is in it and i dont wanna reccommend to high of a dose.

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
yah your right dude, that does look like a little over kill...thanks again bro!

i will be sure to keep every one updated on my experiences!

paulg

paulg

Awards
I would take a look at these popular products. Also, I wouldn't stack them. Try them one at a time to see what works best for you.

1.) Applied Nutraceuticals: RPM
2.) Applied Nutraceuticals: Drive
3.) Core Nutritionals: Core Zap
4.) Competitive Edge Labs: PCT Assist
5.) BCS Labs: 1.) Icariin 2.) phenom 3.) phenom amped
6.) bulk icariin : powder here on nutra or Live Long Nutrition: Icariin 50 over at bb
7.) Anabolic Innovations: Stoked

if you like stims then RPM, Core Zap, and phenom amped might be your favorite. Personally I think the most value in Icariin is pre-workout. So I only use it once a day. Others would argue that point but I'm talking about MOST value. Also, you'll save a bit of money. Also, you should cycle it. Most people say 4-8 weeks on and 2-4 weeks off.

Colin

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
hmmmm, you think this would be as good as any other test booster out there or what?
Icariin's main strength is its role as a treatment for erectile dysfunction. and not a "test booster" as far as gaining LBM.

I would use icariin if you are having issues with ED/libido from stronger test boosters or for pre-existing ED.This is a pro-sexual compound and should not be considered as something along the lines of 6-OXO,Activate Extreme etc.It is within a seperate class altogether.

A test booster or PH along with icariin would make for a sweet stack as far as improving body composition and sexual well being,IMHO.I will get into this further when I finish the write up for Live Long Nutrition's Icariin-500.

Here's a post supporting icariin's novel role in treating ED,taken from the linked thread.I highly recommend this thread to anyone interested in icariin,great discussion was had.

New Icariin Study - Mind and Muscle Forums

[quote name='Benson' date='Mar 9 2006, 06:46 PM' post='314433']
Came across this recent study on icariin, an erectogenic flavonoid of Epimedium sagittatum (Horny Goat Weed). It appears to enhance erectile response not through PDE-5 inhibition like sildenafil and related compounds but through a novel mechanism of action, the most interesting being a change in percentage of smooth muscle. This would mean that it would not be accutely very active but over time would likely improve erectile response in a more permenant manner.

Asian J Androl. 2005 Dec;7(4):381-8.
Effects of icariin on erectile function and expression of nitric oxide synthase isoforms in castrated rats.

Liu WJ, Xin ZC, Xin H, Yuan YM, Tian L, Guo YL.

AIM: To investigate the effect of icariin on erectile function and the expression of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) isoforms in castrated rats. METHODS: Thirty-two adult male Wistar rats were randomly divided into one sham-operated group (A) and three castrated groups (B, C and D). One week after surgery, rats were treated with normal saline (groups A and B) or oral icariin (1 mg/[kg.day] for group C and 5 mg/[kg.day] for group D) for 4 weeks. One week after treatment, the erectile function of the rats was assessed by measuring intracavernosal pressure (ICP) during electrostimulation of the cavernosal nerve. The serum testosterone (ST) levels, the percent of smooth muscle (PSM) in trabecular tissue, and the expression of mRNA and proteins of neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS), inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) and phosphodiesterase V (PDE5) in corpus cavernosum (CC) were also evaluated. RESULTS: ICP, PSM, ST and the expression of nNOS, iNOS, eNOS and PDE5 were significantly decreased in group B compared with those in group A (P 0.01). However, ICP, PSM and the expression of nNOS and iNOS were increased in groups C and D compared with those in group B (P 0.05). Changes in ST and the expression of eNOS and PDE5 were not significant (P 0.05) in groups C and D compared with those in group B. CONCLUSION: Oral treatment with icariin ( 98.6 % purity) for 4 weeks potentially improves erectile function. This effect is correlated with an increase in PSM and the expression of certain NOS in the CC of castrated rats. These results suggest that icariin may have a therapeutic effect on erectile dysfunction.
[/quote]

comacho

comacho

Awards
  • Established
dont know why but RPM makes me annngggrrrryyy and mean, not a nice person. good preWO supp definitely.

ive tried bulk icariin throughout the day, made me a bit horny but thats about it, i prefer it with stim pre workout.

how anti-estrogenic is it? anybody know?

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
im curious as well, and yah it makes me pissed, but i kinda like i :)

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
my one issue with RPM is stimulants, i dont use them.
Same here! I loved the angry/aggression I felt with RPM but I just don't do caffeine. I want to try Drive since it is similar. How could bulk icariin be dosed?

GuyverX

GuyverX

Awards
  • Established
a little tidbit I found on icariin, on rats ... but who knows

"PROTECTIVE EFFECTS OF ICARIIN AGAINST LEARNING AND MEMORY DEFICITS INDUCED BY ALUMINIUM IN RATS ....
Yong Luo*†, Jing Nie*, Qi-Hai Gong*, Yuan-Fu Lu*, Qin Wu* and Jing-Shan Shi*
*Department of Pharmacology, Zunyi Medical College and † Department of Neurology, Guizhou Aerospace Hospital, Zunyi, Guizhou, China
Correspondence: Jing-Shan Shi, Department of Pharmacology, Zunyi Medical College, Zunyi, Guizhou 563003, China. Email: [email protected]
Copyright © 2007 The Authors
Journal compilation © 2007 Blackwell Publishing Asia Pty Ltd
KEYWORDS
Aβ1−40 • aluminium • icariin • learning and memory • malondialdehyde • superoxide dismutase
SUMMARY
Abstract INTRODUCTION METHODS RESULTS DISCUSSION ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS REFERENCES

The present study examined the protective effects of icariin against the learning and memory deficits in aluminium-treated rats and its potential mechanisms of action.

Qualified rats were treated with 1600 p.p.m. AlCl3 in drinking water for 8 months and the ability of spatial learning and memory was tested by the Morris water maze. In the place navigation test, aluminium administration significantly increased the mean escape latency and searching distance. In space probing test, aluminium markedly decreased the searching time and searching distance in the quadrant where the platform was originally located. All tests indicated deficits in rat spatial learning and memory induced by aluminium. Icariin treatment (60 and 120 mg/kg, by gavage for 3 months) dose-dependently protected against the development of aluminium-induced spatial learning and memory deficits.

To examine the mechanisms responsible for the protection afforded by icariin, the superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity and malondialdehyde (MDA) content in the hippocampus were assayed biochemically and the level of Aβ1−40 in the hippocampus was determined immunohistochemically. Icariin treatment significantly increased SOD activity and decreased MDA and Aβ1−40 content in the hippocampus of aluminium-intoxicated rats.

In conclusion, the present study demonstrates that icariin is effective in improving the spatial learning and memory of aluminium-intoxicated rats. The mechanisms responsible appear to be due, at least in part, to an increased anti-oxidant capacity and decreased lipid peroxidation and Aβ1−40 levels in the rat hippocampus."

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
dont know why but RPM makes me annngggrrrryyy and mean, not a nice person. good preWO supp definitely.

ive tried bulk icariin throughout the day, made me a bit horny but thats about it, i prefer it with stim pre workout.

I think the angry feeling has something to do with ACh levels in the brain- but not absolutely sure....

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

I don't have any Ki values for icariin- but I have seen some studies where it does serve as a fairly strong E antagonist....

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
E for estrogen or for something else??

hhmmmmmm im going to do some thing but dont know what.....i dont want to go to "the darkside" again, and i want to bulk, diets down, just want some extra stuffs.....i was thinkin x-factor or max-out.....any one else have ideas that will show maybe 5-8 pound weight gains naturally??

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established

hhmmmmmm im going to do some thing but dont know what.....i dont want to go to "the darkside" again, and i want to bulk, diets down, just want some extra stuffs.....i was thinkin x-factor or max-out.....any one else have ideas that will show maybe 5-8 pound weight gains naturally??

stoked + AX+ZMA+ lean extreme for 8 weeks

Kristofer has ran this with Great results! i personally havent tried it though.

ACSlayer

Awards
stoked + AX+ZMA+ lean extreme for 8 weeks

Kristofer has ran this with Great results! i personally havent tried it though.
I actually ran two consecutive bottles of Stoked at the recommended dosage and honestly didn't feel much. The combination of Res (which is only an A.I. under certain conditions) and Quercetin is highly estrogenic. I think this may have accounted for the lack of "felt" effects. I recall Dr. D going into detail about Quercetin as an estrogen-agonist-- it is certainly not ideal to include in a PCT regimen. I will try to did up the old posts...

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I actually ran two consecutive bottles of Stoked at the recommended dosage and honestly didn't feel much. The combination of Res (which is only an A.I. under certain conditions) and Quercetin is highly estrogenic. I think this may have accounted for the lack of "felt" effects. I recall Dr. D going into detail about Quercetin as an estrogen-agonist-- it is certainly not ideal to include in a PCT regimen. I will try to did up the old posts...
I am sorry that it did not work out the way you had hoped. It has worked very well for others.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

estrogen

Try IGF-2- it will give you 5-7 lbs. naturally

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Superman stack=

AX
LX
SToked
ZMA

Yeah its not cheap, but worth the money.

If on a budget there is AX and Stoked. That will show gains for sure.

scottyc33

Awards
????

Quercetin is a phytoestrogen, or a plant hormone that mimics the effects of estrogen in the human body. Quercetin binds to estrogen-receptor sites in place of estrogen.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
????

Quercetin is a phytoestrogen, or a plant hormone that mimics the effects of estrogen in the human body. Quercetin binds to estrogen-receptor sites in place of estrogen.

Stoked! has mixed agonist/antagonist properties on the ER.

QuarkStar

Awards
Hy all guys, sorry to bump this so old thread, but i want to help all of you trying to maximize yourself! (sorry i have very bad english)
If anybody know this, there's a study conducted on rats (obviously...) that report a 300 % increase in serum testosterone compared to control group:

Effect of icariin on reproduction endocrine function Table 2 shows that in the C, ICA and T groups, the serum testosterone concentration was higher than that in the M group. Furthermore, the concentration of serum testosterone in the ICA group was higher than that in the C group and lower than that in the T group (P < 0.05). There were no significant differences in levels of LH and FSH among these four groups.

group testosterone

M 0.7878 ± 0.4469
C 3.0141 ± 0.4131
ICA 10.9387 ± 2.0392
T 34.9649 ± 11.4220

T stands for Testosterone injiections, and value are obviously the highest among the groups.
However, icariin group elevated their levels 3 times!

On another site i've found this interesting trial of a fitness enthusiast who gave bloodwork before and after treating himself with tongkat ali first, with little results, and icariin after. Here's a part from the article:
"So I started cycling it but after 3 weeks I did not really feel it was doing anything. I did another week then off for another blood draw. Guess what? At the start of using the Tongkat Ali my T level was 498. 30 days of the Tongkat and my T levels were 534. Not much if any increase. The slight elevation in T level could be due to anything. So on to the next thing...

It should also be noted that finding high quality Tongkat is VERY hard. And it is expensive. I was using the 1:200 at 1500mg a day. Price was around $300 for a 1 1/2 month supply!

Well I am sure we have all seen or heard of Horny Goat Weed. It is one of the most widely used ingredients in sexual enhancement pills,etc. But like most of the ingredients in those pills, they use a very low level amount. And the straight Horny Goat Weed you find in health food stores is only 10-20%. And even the "high quality" and high dosage HGW is questionable.

I started researching HGW and found the active ingredient is icariin. Again this is a plant extract. And getting a very high quality, high concentrate is very hard to come by.
After a bunch of research I ordered a months supply from a company claiming theirs was 60% icariin at around $80.00 per 90 caps. Within 4-5 days of starting it at double recommended dosage I felt that I could feel a positive effect. I felt I had a bit more energy. My workouts felt "better" and I seemed to want to push myself more.
The sexual side seemed good as well. I felt...you guessed it...hornier! Unlike the Tongkat, the icariin did not seem to taper off. So far so good. But...lets see what the blood test says. Starting T levels were at 509. 30 days of of the icariin and my T levels were at 583. Hmm...better but still not really worth the $80.00.

Now my search for a higher potency icariin started. After LOTS of searching and samples I was able to get my hands on some 98% icariin direct from the manufacturer. I had to buy a kilogram! And it is NOT cheap at all. But...

I finally received my kilo in the mail. Off for another blood draw...starting to feel like a pin cushion....starting T levels 479. I started with taking 50mg three times a day. After 4-5 days I could feel the effects. Week two I upped it to 100mg three times a day. Oh yeh! about 3-4 days into the higher dosage and I can for sure feel it. Lots of energy. My workouts are great! I am not as tired and can really push myself.

Well for week three I upped the dose to 200mg three times a day. Now at that level it did give me a lot of "energy". Like a coffee buzz I get on the rare times I have drank coffee. So this is something to think about if you have trouble sleeping already,etc.

I decided and have stayed with two 200mg doses and a last of the day (5pm) dose of 150mg. This seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Ok...that is great you say, but what about T levels??? Well after 30 days and another blood draw my T level was....ready for this?...712! Now I am thinking to myself...hmmm...no way right? I ask my doc if that is the same test,etc. I go to the same lab for my blood draws. He said yes and asked what have I changed in my eating habits,etc. I gave him the run down on what I was using. He really did not offer up much one way or the other. But he said it could be a fluke. I asked again for another lab slip and continued my 550mg a day. I waited 45 days since the last blood draw. I received the results. My T levels are 728.

I can tell you I have added 45 lbs to my bench press since taking the icarrin. 20 lbs to my arm workouts. My sex drive is fantastic (ask my wife!). And I generally feel more balanced and energetic.

The icariin has worked so well for me that I shared it with two buddies. They have had similar results. So much so that they have bought a bunch from me making it less expensive for myself.

There is a lot of info about icariin to be found if you search for it. Do your own research. What I do recommend if you want to try it is to only go with the 98%. The lower quality icariin does not seem to work as well. And most published studies are based on the 98%.

Again....this is just my own experience and worth exactly what you paid for it. Maybe this can help someone or maybe not."

So, i think icariin is a very good product, and i want to share my experience, with a 75 % icariin extract. I did not have bloodwork, but it's about 2 years that i'm in the supplement world, and few items have worked for me: icariin is one of them, with that in about 2 weeks of use i've felt very very GREAT mood (i suffered depression before,used xanax,sleeping pills,and other s**t, before starting lifting and finding good supplements), strenght to the roof (maxed all of my lifts), and a skyrocketed libido. I was another person. Now cycling on and off, this great mood and confidence only returns with what i think are good working products, and icariin is one, if not the best, supplement that i've tried regarding power/focus/mood/strenght. The problem is, quality icariin is expensive. Sorry for the long post, if any question i'm here for you guys, and sorry for poor english. Stay tuned!
EDIT i've found that icariin works best, and before, used with piperine, or bioperine, due to better absorption i think. In effect i think that all the supplements works better with piperine.