Chantix

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
Just curious... Does anyone know if any supps will affect me in a bad way while taking Chantix? I just started 2 weeks ago, stopped smoking completely, and thats good, BUT, I wanna be able to go on a hardcore shredding stack for 6 weeks. I haven't decided on a stack that is worth the money, but any ideas are welcome.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Bro, please be careful with that stuff. I used it and it worked great...while I was on it. I noticed myself getting depressed and not being able to snap out of it like I normally do. Please just take note of any strange behavior you may experience. Some seemingly-normal people have gone ape-shit as a result of this drug.

dpfisher

Dude quitting smoking is easy if you go cold turkey, using replacements like nicotine gums or SNRIs or whatever just make it harder for longer. Man up and quit.

It sucks balls for like, a week or two then it gets easy. I tried a few times with gums or slowly cutting back and it never worked then I was like screw this I need my lungs and my circulation and just stopped. I was moody and slept like crap for a few days but I didn't allow myself to sleep outside normal sleep hours so my body quickly regulated that problem. Every time I wanted to smoke I would just think "do I really want to go through that again for one smoke" and the answer was always no. Feeling like crap while quitting is the best way to discourage yourself from starting and having to go through that again IMO

If you are on this board you obviously have enough willpower to be eating right and working out so I'd think you should have enough to straight up quit smoking. This might seem silly but it also helps to be angry about it, like "this is just a stupid f*cking plant what kind of man am I if I let this hold power over me, f*ck you plant" Like really get angry about it no joke it helps a LOT

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Just curious... Does anyone know if any supps will affect me in a bad way while taking Chantix? I just started 2 weeks ago, stopped smoking completely, and thats good, BUT, I wanna be able to go on a hardcore shredding stack for 6 weeks. I haven't decided on a stack that is worth the money, but any ideas are welcome.
first off, congratulations on quitting smoking! this is the best decision you could make for yourself healthwise and gymwise.

you could do a quick search for smoking and nitrogen balance, and another search for nitrogen balance and protein synthesis, and you will quickly realize how much stronger and healthier you will be. as far as i know, nothing will interact with chantix, as it's goal is to block nicotine receptors.

to combat any depression you feel while on chantix, PEA should help with that. other than that, you should be good to go.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
But it's not just depression. Some people have actually done harmful things that are outside of their normal behavior. I used it for like a month and as soon as those receptors weren't filled with that drug, guess what I started craving worse than ever? Cold-turkey seems like the only way.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've read some pretty nasty stuff on Chantix. Like these guys said, be very careful and mind yourself there.

BIG PROPS for attempting the quit!! I hope it goes very well for you!!! I'm into week 5 of the T-AD Clean Air Act and haven't breathed this easy for 11 years. No Chantix, not exactly cold turkey. Just decided it wasn't something I wanted to do anymore. It can be rough, but you can do it!! :head:

tmachovec

tmachovec

Awards
But it's not just depression. Some people have actually done harmful things that are outside of their normal behavior. I used it for like a month and as soon as those receptors weren't filled with that drug, guess what I started craving worse than ever? Cold-turkey seems like the only way.
I used to quit a few weeks ago. Yes, it is some harsh stuff that made me pee alot, have weird dreams, cut my appetite and generally feel strange. Or was it the nicotine withdrawal? :think: Probably both.

I took it for four days, stopped smoking and stopped taking it about two weeks later. A quick cessation. It was the best thing I have ever done. I think about cigs still but know how bad it will make me feel and it's not worth it.

Last thing, I started working out, while smoking, about a year and a half ago and put on about 25 lbs of muscle. The gains stopped last spring and I pretty much quit during the summer. I told myself I had to quit smoking before I could start back lifting. I did and in the past two weeks since I started lifting all I can say is 'wow'.

My endurance is up and heart doesn't feel like it gonna come outta my chest and I'm gonna die. So now it time for me get :bb3:

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
cold turkey is always a better way to go than introduce other chemicals into the equation. though whatever gets you to quit smoking is going to be healthier than continuing that nasty habit.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Yeah but this Chantix is some nasty shit. There's a class action lawsuit linking it to suicide and diabetes. For that, you should just keep smoking. LOL Not really but this crap may or may not be doing more harm than good. Why risk it?

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
used it a while ago, continued to take everything i normally take, with no problems. should not effect anything you take.

Liftergym33

Liftergym33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wow...Didnt think anyone was taking this stuff anymore I thought it was all removed....Huge law/class action suite on this stuff....

Bro stay away from it or stop taking it....I hope a doctor didnt give this to you..based on whats going on. Its not worth it IMO, theres other stuff out there to help you quit..

FYI.....

FDA News
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 1, 2008
Media Inquiries:
Susan Cruzan, 301-827-6242
Rita Chappelle, 301-827-6242
Consumer Inquiries:
888-INFO-FDA

FDA Issues Public Health Advisory on Chantix
Agency requests that manufacturer add new safety warnings for smoking cessation drug
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) today issued a Public Health Advisory to alert health care providers, patients, and caregivers to new safety warnings concerning Chantix (varenicline), a prescription medication used to help patients stop smoking.

On Nov. 20, 2007, FDA issued an Early Communication to the public and health care providers that the agency was evaluating postmarketing adverse event reports on Chantix related to changes in behavior, agitation, depressed mood, suicidal ideation, and actual suicidal behavior.

As the agency's review of the adverse event reports proceeds, it appears increasingly likely that there may be an association between Chantix and serious neuropsychiatric symptoms. As a result, FDA has requested that Pfizer, the manufacturer of Chantix, elevate the prominence of this safety information to the warnings and precautions section of the Chantix prescribing information, or labeling. In addition, FDA is working with Pfizer to finalize a Medication Guide for patients. This is an example of FDA working with drug manufacturers throughout products' lifecycles to keep health care professionals and patients informed of new and emerging safety data.

"Chantix has proven to be effective in smokers motivated to quit, but patients and health care professionals need the latest safety information to make an informed decision regarding whether or not to use this product," said Bob Rappaport, M.D., director of the FDA's Division of Anesthesia, Analgesia and Rheumatology Products. "While Chantix has demonstrated clear evidence of efficacy, it is important to consider these safety concerns and alert the public about these risks. Patients should talk with their doctors about this new information and whether Chantix is the right drug for them, and health care professionals should closely monitor patients for behavior and mood changes if they are taking this drug."

Chantix was approved by FDA in May 2006 as a smoking cessation drug. Chantix acts at sites in the brain affected by nicotine and may help those who wish to stop smoking by providing some nicotine effects to ease the withdrawal symptoms and by blocking the effects of nicotine from cigarettes if users resume smoking.

In the Public Health Advisory and a Health Care Professional Sheet that was also issued today, FDA emphasized the following safety information for patients, caregivers, and health care professionals:

Patients should tell their health care provider about any history of psychiatric illness prior to starting Chantix. Chantix may cause worsening of current psychiatric illness even if it is currently under control. It may also cause an old psychiatric illness to reoccur. FDA notes that patients with these illnesses were not included in the studies conducted for the drug's approval.

Health care professionals, patients, patients' families, and caregivers should be alert to and monitor for changes in mood and behavior in patients treated with Chantix. Symptoms may include anxiety, nervousness, tension, depressed mood, unusual behaviors and thinking about or attempting suicide. In most cases, neuropsychiatric symptoms developed during Chantix treatment, but in others, symptoms developed following withdrawal of varenicline therapy.

Patients should immediately report changes in mood and behavior to their doctor.

Vivid, unusual, or strange dreams may occur while taking Chantix.

Patients taking Chantix may experience impairment of the ability to drive or operate heavy machinery.

FDA will continue to update health care professionals with new information from FDA's continuing review or if new information is received on Chantix and serious neuropsychiatric symptoms. FDA may consider requesting further revisions to the labeling or taking other regulatory action as the agency's continuing reviews and conclusions warrant.

Allot out there on this... Just looking out bro...

tmachovec

tmachovec

Awards
yeah thats the weird thing. a guy i work with has not had any of the side effects i had. to each his own i guess.

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the input. I knew the possible side effects...It seems as though when I try cold turkey, thats when I have violent behavior! you know what I mean. Anyway, I am finishing second week and I can tell you, I have not been depressed, loss of appetite, mood swings, etc. The only thing I have noticed is my dreams are really cool now. But they are about weird sh@t that makes no sense half the time. I will always monitor myself closely and stop at the first sign of an ill-effect.

Upon completion of a month, I plan to quit Chantix. I hope I can just hold off the need to smoke once off this stuff.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the input. I knew the possible side effects...It seems as though when I try cold turkey, thats when I have violent behavior! you know what I mean. Anyway, I am finishing second week and I can tell you, I have not been depressed, loss of appetite, mood swings, etc. The only thing I have noticed is my dreams are really cool now. But they are about weird sh@t that makes no sense half the time. I will always monitor myself closely and stop at the first sign of an ill-effect.

Upon completion of a month, I plan to quit Chantix. I hope I can just hold off the need to smoke once off this stuff.
best saying that i can give you is "it's easy to quit smoking, it's F-IN hard to stay quit". whatever reason you decided to quit, find at least two or three more, solid ones, you're going to need them in the future, when you have a bad day, GF dumps you, or whatever might set you off. and remember one thing, if you're a smoker, there is NO such thing as, "i will have just one", what will most likely happen is, you will have that one and then you'll have making reasons why another is not so bad, that is how addiction works.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
best saying that i can give you is "it's easy to quit smoking, it's F-IN hard to stay quit". whatever reason you decided to quit, find at least two or three more, solid ones, you're going to need them in the future, when you have a bad day, GF dumps you, or whatever might set you off. and remember one thing, if you're a smoker, there is NO such thing as, "i will have just one", what will most likely happen is, you will have that one and then you'll have making reasons why another is not so bad, that is how addiction works.

Exactly. Very well said. I slipped up this past weekend. My wife had her annual christmas party for work and there was an open bar. When I drink, I smoke. I gave up drinking months ago, and this was a dangerous situation. My mind said not to do it, but I went in and bought a pack anyway. I had 3, and knew it was wrong. At the end of the night, guilt had put me in my place. I gave the pack away right then and there and punished myself by putting money back out of my budget that I could have probably used this week. (Hit myself where it hurts most.) I may slip up again, but I don't want that guilt hanging over me.

It's VERY hard to stay a quitter. Willpower will go so far. Finding the reasons and continually reminding yourself of them will keep you on track. For me, the financial end that I'm not burning up in smoke is going towards a dream motorcycle purchase. On the health end, I have a 5 month old daughter at home who needs me. I didn't believe it until it happened to me, but having a child is the absolute biggest motivator to stay alive and healthy that there is. Everyone was right about what they said I'd feel when I was finally a daddy. And now, I'm 100% Dad. All things come after that.

And btw Lennoxchi: Love the avvy!! Big Trouble in Little China ROCKS!!! :head:

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
I used Chantix to quit. Loved the stuff, only side effect I got was the most horrible nightmares imaginable, for about a month. Disclaimer with me is that I'm Bipolar, and take Lamictal and Abilify. If it didnt' interact with those two and me, it won't interact with much, I'd think.

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the drinking/smoking connection. If I had just a few swallows of a beer, I had to smoke. Matter of fact, if I drank, I chain smoked. I tested myself the other night and I actually enjoyed a few beers and didn't pick up one.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bionic 35 and Older 2
Bionic General Chat 4
Bionic Nutrition / Health 3