premixing protein shakes is bad??!

  1. Senior Member
    just93's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,427
    Rep Power
    791
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    66.43%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    premixing protein shakes is bad??!


    i did a search about premixing protein shakes and leaving them in the fridge and consuming them later....and people say not to do it as the protein separates and what not....so im wondering why a RTD (ready to drink) shake like muscle milk doesnt do this.....

  2. Professional Member
    mooch2321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,835
    Rep Power
    2014
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    58.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by just93 View Post
    i did a search about premixing protein shakes and leaving them in the fridge and consuming them later....and people say not to do it as the protein separates and what not....so im wondering why a RTD (ready to drink) shake like muscle milk doesnt do this.....

    thats a bunch of b.s....if you use a shaker to store it in the fridge you can just shake it up before yo u drink...but as far as the protein denaturing or having its bv affected at all...thats not gonna happen
  3. Senior Member
    just93's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,427
    Rep Power
    791
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    66.43%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    yah, thats exactly what i was thinking, thanks alot, im gunna go drink my shake right now
    •   
       

  4. JJC
    Senior Member
    JJC's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,207
    Rep Power
    713
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    44.38%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by just93 View Post
    i did a search about premixing protein shakes and leaving them in the fridge and consuming them later....and people say not to do it as the protein separates and what not....so im wondering why a RTD (ready to drink) shake like muscle milk doesnt do this.....
    You said "separates". Not "denatures". The protein may separate from the liquid (water, milk, or whatever) you place the whey in. The words are different. Why do you think they say "Shake Well" on the RTDs?
  5. Senior Member
    just93's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,427
    Rep Power
    791
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    66.43%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    oh dude sorry, denatures is what i was trying to get at, and its a weight gainer........cytogainer to be exact..there great for when after a work out less dishes, taste good, fast digesting, i know alot of people dont like store bought ones but i just dont have the time lol
  6. New Member
    Kraker's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    419
    Rep Power
    286
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    69.94%

    I like to mix about 2 litres of gainer together to sip(not all at once, just a little bit at a time) when i get sugar cravings. Not the best sub for sugar lol but it works for me. As far as denaturing the protein, I used to think the same thing when I first started getting into lifting.
  7. Board Sponsor
    Aggravated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,746
    Rep Power
    1501
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    50.94%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraker View Post
    I like to mix about 2 litres of gainer together to sip(not all at once, just a little bit at a time) when i get sugar cravings. Not the best sub for sugar lol but it works for me. As far as denaturing the protein, I used to think the same thing when I first started getting into lifting.
    It will most likely denature and sour if you do not keep it refrigerated. Exposing them to anything above RT for a lengthy amount of time is a bad idea. I find that shakes don't taste as good if they have hung in the fridge for too long though.
  8. New Member
    Kraker's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    419
    Rep Power
    286
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    69.94%

    This is true. I always keep them in the fridge. Once in a while I get daring and freeze a serving or two and then put it in the blender after it's fully frozen. Sorta like a slurpee/malt thing. I might get really crazy and add some peanut butter.
  9. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,164
    Rep Power
    310840
    Level
    75
    Lv. Percent
    62.51%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by just93 View Post
    i did a search about premixing protein shakes and leaving them in the fridge and consuming them later....and people say not to do it as the protein separates and what not....so im wondering why a RTD (ready to drink) shake like muscle milk doesnt do this.....
    There's no problems premixing a protein shake and then putting it in the fridge. As long as it's not left in HEAT for prolonged periods of time after it's been premixed, it should be FINE.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  10. Senior Member
    just93's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,427
    Rep Power
    791
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    66.43%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    haha i tried the freezing thing, left it in for like an hour and it was just starting to freeze, so i shook it up and drank in, instant brain freeze lol it tasted so good, but hurt so bad.........so what is the rule for freezing creatine guys??

    that has happened, i put it in the freezer so it would get cold faster for the gym, and it was frozen, it tasted fine, dont know if it lost effectiveness though
  11. New Member
    Kraker's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    419
    Rep Power
    286
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    69.94%

    Quote Originally Posted by just93 View Post
    so what is the rule for freezing creatine guys??
    Good question.... I have no idea, haha. Anyone else try the freezing method??
  12. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,164
    Rep Power
    310840
    Level
    75
    Lv. Percent
    62.51%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by just93 View Post
    haha i tried the freezing thing, left it in for like an hour and it was just starting to freeze, so i shook it up and drank in, instant brain freeze lol it tasted so good, but hurt so bad.........so what is the rule for freezing creatine guys??

    that has happened, i put it in the freezer so it would get cold faster for the gym, and it was frozen, it tasted fine, dont know if it lost effectiveness though
    Why would you WANT to premix and then FREEZE creatine???

    If you freeze it, instead of drinking it straight away (or within a minute or so of mixing), then creatine WILL lose its effectiveness, as what you will be drinking will be the BYproducts of creatine, instead of the creatine itself.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  13. New Member
    Kraker's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    419
    Rep Power
    286
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    69.94%

    Well I have learned something new. Thank you! A method to try might be to freeze your shake, and when you want to consume the awesome nutritionous beverage, just add the creatine then.
  14. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,164
    Rep Power
    310840
    Level
    75
    Lv. Percent
    62.51%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraker View Post
    Well I have learned something new. Thank you! A method to try might be to freeze your shake, and when you want to consume the awesome nutritionous beverage, just add the creatine then.
    No worries You could do that. I wouldn't FREEZE the protein shake, though; maybe put it in the fridge. But for no longer than 2-3 hours at the most.
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  15. New Member
    Kraker's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    419
    Rep Power
    286
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    69.94%

    I usually consume instantly upon mixing. Once in a great while I will throw it in the fridge or freeze one.
  16. Senior Member
    just93's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,427
    Rep Power
    791
    Level
    28
    Lv. Percent
    66.43%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    okay, CL reps say you can leave greenmag in the refrigerator for 12 hours, so it can get cold.......so i wanted to leave my GreenMag in the FREEZER for 15 minutes so it would get cold faster and bring it to the gym, i then left without it and came back and it was kinda frozen not totally, let it thaw and then drank it, it wasnt in water for more than 2 hours.......i donr freeze it every day or anything, just didnt know if that was still effective
  17. Professional Member
    mooch2321's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,835
    Rep Power
    2014
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    58.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    Why would you WANT to premix and then FREEZE creatine???

    If you freeze it, instead of drinking it straight away (or within a minute or so of mixing), then creatine WILL lose its effectiveness, as what you will be drinking will be the BYproducts of creatine, instead of the creatine itself.

    interesting...can you elaborate on this...are you saying that you have to drink it within minutes of mixing and that you shouldnt chill it...or just that you shouldnt chill it?
  18. Senior Member
    jsp0785's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,791
    Rep Power
    973
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    43.62%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by just93 View Post
    oh dude sorry, denatures is what i was trying to get at, and its a weight gainer........cytogainer to be exact..there great for when after a work out less dishes, taste good, fast digesting, i know alot of people dont like store bought ones but i just dont have the time lol
    throwing oats peanutbutter protein and milk in a blender takes about as much time as mixing up a weight gainer. if u think the cytogainer is good try the true mass from bsn, that stuff is good. but by far the best tasting one i've ever had and is actually better than any protein i've tasted is the optimum nutrition gainer. the strawberry is absolutely amazing. even orgasmic i would say
  19. Senior Member
    jsp0785's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,791
    Rep Power
    973
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    43.62%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mooch2321 View Post
    interesting...can you elaborate on this...are you saying that you have to drink it within minutes of mixing and that you shouldnt chill it...or just that you shouldnt chill it?
    i'm pretty sure creatine is ok for like 24 hours or so after mixing with water
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-31-2009, 01:37 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 08:24 PM
  3. too many protein shakes per day
    By mircle in forum Bulking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-25-2008, 09:49 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 01:05 AM
  5. Premixing shakes for a week of use?
    By Moyer in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 03:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in