premixing protein shakes is bad??!

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
i did a search about premixing protein shakes and leaving them in the fridge and consuming them later....and people say not to do it as the protein separates and what not....so im wondering why a RTD (ready to drink) shake like muscle milk doesnt do this.....

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
i did a search about premixing protein shakes and leaving them in the fridge and consuming them later....and people say not to do it as the protein separates and what not....so im wondering why a RTD (ready to drink) shake like muscle milk doesnt do this.....

thats a bunch of b.s....if you use a shaker to store it in the fridge you can just shake it up before yo u drink...but as far as the protein denaturing or having its bv affected at all...thats not gonna happen

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
yah, thats exactly what i was thinking, thanks alot, im gunna go drink my shake right now :)

JJC

Awards
  • Established
You said "separates". Not "denatures". The protein may separate from the liquid (water, milk, or whatever) you place the whey in. The words are different. Why do you think they say "Shake Well" on the RTDs?

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
oh dude sorry, denatures is what i was trying to get at, and its a weight gainer........cytogainer to be exact..there great for when after a work out:) less dishes, taste good, fast digesting, i know alot of people dont like store bought ones but i just dont have the time lol

Kraker

Kraker

Awards
  • Established
I like to mix about 2 litres of gainer together to sip(not all at once, just a little bit at a time) when i get sugar cravings. Not the best sub for sugar lol but it works for me. As far as denaturing the protein, I used to think the same thing when I first started getting into lifting.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I like to mix about 2 litres of gainer together to sip(not all at once, just a little bit at a time) when i get sugar cravings. Not the best sub for sugar lol but it works for me. As far as denaturing the protein, I used to think the same thing when I first started getting into lifting.
It will most likely denature and sour if you do not keep it refrigerated. Exposing them to anything above RT for a lengthy amount of time is a bad idea. I find that shakes don't taste as good if they have hung in the fridge for too long though.

Kraker

Kraker

Awards
  • Established
This is true. I always keep them in the fridge. Once in a while I get daring and freeze a serving or two and then put it in the blender after it's fully frozen. Sorta like a slurpee/malt thing. I might get really crazy and add some peanut butter.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There's no problems premixing a protein shake and then putting it in the fridge. As long as it's not left in HEAT for prolonged periods of time after it's been premixed, it should be FINE.

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
haha i tried the freezing thing, left it in for like an hour and it was just starting to freeze, so i shook it up and drank in, instant brain freeze lol it tasted so good, but hurt so bad.........so what is the rule for freezing creatine guys??

that has happened, i put it in the freezer so it would get cold faster for the gym, and it was frozen, it tasted fine, dont know if it lost effectiveness though

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
haha i tried the freezing thing, left it in for like an hour and it was just starting to freeze, so i shook it up and drank in, instant brain freeze lol it tasted so good, but hurt so bad.........so what is the rule for freezing creatine guys??

that has happened, i put it in the freezer so it would get cold faster for the gym, and it was frozen, it tasted fine, dont know if it lost effectiveness though
Why would you WANT to premix and then FREEZE creatine???

If you freeze it, instead of drinking it straight away (or within a minute or so of mixing), then creatine WILL lose its effectiveness, as what you will be drinking will be the BYproducts of creatine, instead of the creatine itself.

Kraker

Kraker

Awards
  • Established
Well I have learned something new. Thank you! A method to try might be to freeze your shake, and when you want to consume the awesome nutritionous beverage, just add the creatine then.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well I have learned something new. Thank you! A method to try might be to freeze your shake, and when you want to consume the awesome nutritionous beverage, just add the creatine then.
No worries :) You could do that. I wouldn't FREEZE the protein shake, though; maybe put it in the fridge. But for no longer than 2-3 hours at the most.

Kraker

Kraker

Awards
  • Established
I usually consume instantly upon mixing. Once in a great while I will throw it in the fridge or freeze one.

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
okay, CL reps say you can leave greenmag in the refrigerator for 12 hours, so it can get cold.......so i wanted to leave my GreenMag in the FREEZER for 15 minutes so it would get cold faster and bring it to the gym, i then left without it and came back and it was kinda frozen not totally, let it thaw and then drank it, it wasnt in water for more than 2 hours.......i donr freeze it every day or anything, just didnt know if that was still effective

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
Why would you WANT to premix and then FREEZE creatine???

If you freeze it, instead of drinking it straight away (or within a minute or so of mixing), then creatine WILL lose its effectiveness, as what you will be drinking will be the BYproducts of creatine, instead of the creatine itself.

interesting...can you elaborate on this...are you saying that you have to drink it within minutes of mixing and that you shouldnt chill it...or just that you shouldnt chill it?

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
oh dude sorry, denatures is what i was trying to get at, and its a weight gainer........cytogainer to be exact..there great for when after a work out:) less dishes, taste good, fast digesting, i know alot of people dont like store bought ones but i just dont have the time lol
throwing oats peanutbutter protein and milk in a blender takes about as much time as mixing up a weight gainer. if u think the cytogainer is good try the true mass from bsn, that stuff is good. but by far the best tasting one i've ever had and is actually better than any protein i've tasted is the optimum nutrition gainer. the strawberry is absolutely amazing. even orgasmic i would say

jsp0785

Awards
  • Established
interesting...can you elaborate on this...are you saying that you have to drink it within minutes of mixing and that you shouldnt chill it...or just that you shouldnt chill it?
i'm pretty sure creatine is ok for like 24 hours or so after mixing with water