Supps for kidneys and stomach

gogo

gogo

Awards
  • Established
Ok bro's i have a form of arthritis called ankylosing spondylitis.
My doctor has me on a high dose of naproxen at 500 mg twice a day. I am well aware of the side effects of this drug but am not able to go on Biologics yet ( remicade enbrial humara) and even those have a whole slew of negative side effects that scare the **** out of me.

As if bodybuilding with a spinal disease and a high amount of nsaids isnt hard enough i have to worry about stomach ulcers and kidney problems.

So any supplements that could help in either of those areas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Go

Cordeen

Awards
  • Established
Dodder Seed is known as a kidney tonic

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Copius amounts of good old water. Could also try some NAC and cranberry extract as a kidney protectant. Also, it is very important that you take the naproxen with food, I'm talking your biggest meal of the day. Really, they only cause problems when they sit against the stomach lining. I would suggest to eat half of your biggest meal, then take the nsaid, then eat the rest of your meal. That will be the best you could do to avoid it sitting in your stomach. In terms of a supp that would help that situation, there is really none that I know of. If you start having problems, your doc might write for carafate, which would help coat any ulcers that develope in the stomach. You would take that a short time before your nsaid, but long term or preventative therapies aren't recommended.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Gut health helped me out with my stomach issues quite a bit.

Also, not a supp, but a good thing to consider, a homeopatic plant called "Boldo" (linked to wikipedia). You might be able to find teas or concentrated, it's very soothing to the stomach. Don't know avaliability in the U.S. though.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I take sesamin pills and it says supports kidney and liver function/health ...

gogo

gogo

Awards
  • Established
Copius amounts of good old water. Could also try some NAC and cranberry extract as a kidney protectant. Also, it is very important that you take the naproxen with food, I'm talking your biggest meal of the day. Really, they only cause problems when they sit against the stomach lining. I would suggest to eat half of your biggest meal, then take the nsaid, then eat the rest of your meal. That will be the best you could do to avoid it sitting in your stomach. In terms of a supp that would help that situation, there is really none that I know of. If you start having problems, your doc might write for carafate, which would help coat any ulcers that develope in the stomach. You would take that a short time before your nsaid, but long term or preventative therapies aren't recommended.
Ive never heard of carafate but i would look into it. Im hoping that i will get on a different medication sometime in the next couple years so i dont have to be on these for so long. But yea taking with food is definetly an absolute must for me. Ive heard some horror stories of ulcers and holes in the stomach and theres no way i want to take the chances with dealing with any of that!

gogo

gogo

Awards
  • Established
Gut health helped me out with my stomach issues quite a bit.

Also, not a supp, but a good thing to consider, a homeopatic plant called "Boldo" (linked to wikipedia). You might be able to find teas or concentrated, it's very soothing to the stomach. Don't know avaliability in the U.S. though.
I dont think boldo would be a very good choice,

"Boldo contains terpene-4-ol, an ingredient similar to that found in juniper, and should be avoided by people with kidney disease, as it could cause kidney irritation"

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Just don't let a doc talk you into taking methotrexate, the stuff is harsh on the body and liver.

gogo

gogo

Awards
  • Established
Yea we had talked about it and we discussed how bad it was on the liver ect. Biologics like humara and remicade or the route i will need to take because they are the only drugs that will help stop the fusing of my spine. But even they have alot of side effects some being cancer and the fact that i wont be able to fight of infections...

So im just going the nsaid route for now seeing as im still younge and my disease hasnt progressed too much. I just hope something with a safer profile will come out sometime in the next few years.

PS. Were you on methotrexate?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Hum, sorry about that.

In the websites about boldo in portuguese they don't mention anything about being potentially harmfull to the kidneys, just the upsides to stomach and liver.

Sorry about that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
garz Supplement Auction 2
Supplements 13
Supplements 1
Supplement Auction 6
Vincefort Supplements 5