is it essential to take protein on non lifting days?

Brad2131

Awards
i dont typically worry about protein on non workout days unless i am quite soar. I have a very weak stomach, so its hard for me to down even a syntha6, bcaa, and whey shake post workout. To suppliment the absence of a protein shake on off days i typically throw in a very high protein chicken meal for dinner.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
is this a serious question?

no you only eat on training days or else you'll get fat.....DO NOT EAT ON NON TRAINING DAYS...big nono!!!

ari4216

ari4216

Banned
Awards
  • Established
u guys kidding?

theres no thinking involved in answering this question.

you damage you body on workout days and you repair them on off days.

You need to get a gram of protein for each pound of weight, every day.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
yeah i was serious...i am going for the ethopian look...:icon_lol:

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
equally important. protein on off days for when your body heals/recovers is equally important in all regards. carbs in that shake, on non training days is entirely optional though - since you're not at the gym, there's no energy that needs to be replaced.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It would be optimum if you got all of your protein from whole foods. But the total protein needed daily should not change on workout or non-workout days.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
From my experience...protein intake on off days is MORE important.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
From my experience...protein intake on off days is MORE important.
Just thinking that as I scrolled down and read. If you want to grow, recover, or be healthy, then yes. Keep the diet good everyday!!

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
ari4216 and suncloud have it right: if you're going to supplement protein at all, do it every day - workout days aren't the only days your body's working!

I'd definitely skip all the pre-w/o stuff (stims, fancy carbs, refeed schedules) on off days unless you have that worked out for - and worked sensibly into - your plan.

You have a plan, right? Work your plan.

No plan? Make one - and work it.

Brad2131

Awards
So i typically take whey post workout for the quick absorbtion into my body. Sometimes will mix it with a scoop of syntha 6 for a slow release and a quick. Syntha 6 is typically my before bed protein because the slow release. Which of the two is recommended for off days if i am not able to get in the high protein meal?

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
that would depend on when you are using it. For quicker times, like first thing in the morning, an isolate would be nice. For a meal replacement, a casein or blend works.

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
yah the Ethiopian look is great, but i like to bump it up to two rice grains daily on work out days!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Asking this is the same as asking, "Do I need to eat to gain?"

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
yah or alot like "if im fat and trying to lose weight can i eat 30 cupcakes on non workout days??"

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Or the diet soda with the 2 Big Macs and fries

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
haha forgot about that one~~im brain dead ill probably come up with funny ones when i least expect to, i think its called a Epiphany

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
haha, seriously where did you get that picture of me?!

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
the rice just expands to much in my stomach, its not my fault!

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
It would be optimum if you got all of your protein from whole foods. But the total protein needed daily should not change on workout or non-workout days.

why do people say its better to get your protein from whole foods? ive never understood this...the bv of something like whey isolate is like 159 right?....and chicken is like 80....so logically wouldnt it be better to use isolate as a protein source?

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
and when you have a liquid source of protein its easier to digest, like a shake.....right?

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
just hook a hose up to that tanker and you can feed my Ethiopian tribe for years!!

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The bottom of the tanker says "inedible".

just93

just93

Awards
  • Established
yah man trust me one grain of rice and a glass of water is all you need!