Supps and heart health - AnabolicMinds.com

Supps and heart health

1. Jag
    Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  272 lbs.

Supps and heart health

I'm looking at ALCAR and AAKG as i'm in my 40's now with a family history of heart disease.

I'm currently using
    -CoQ10 (Ubiniquol),
    -ZMA,
    -Fish Oil,
    -Beta-Alanine
    -Vit.C

and was looking at adding some ALCAR and AAKG.

I know people have mixed opinions of these as bb supps but specifically on issues relating to heart health L-Carnitine and Arginine appear regularly.

I was thinking of a ALCAR, AAKG and Beta-Alanine pre-workout coctail.

Any other tips for heart health would be appreciated.

Jag

2. Primordial Performance Rep
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

You should take a look at Toco-8
    by Primordial Performance
  3. Jag
    Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  272 lbs.

I actually considered Vit.E with my last order but i felt i got more than enough in my diet.

I eat A LOT of whole eggs.

Jag
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.

Have you looked into Sesamin?(Sesathin) it's suppose to be good for your heart

Have a read of this

Innocent heart murmur

hope that helps some
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Therefore, excellence is not an act, but a habit.”
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  201 lbs.

My blood pressure was 172/112 2 weeks ago
    Now it is 129/79

I took coq10 100mg 2 times daily
    Hawthorne Berry 1200mg a day
    Garlic 1000mg 2 times daily
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.

Celery seed
  7. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Jag View Post
    I'm looking at ALCAR and AAKG as i'm in my 40's now with a family history of heart disease.

I'm currently using
    -CoQ10 (Ubiniquol),
    -ZMA,
    -Fish Oil,
    -Beta-Alanine
    -Vit.C

and was looking at adding some ALCAR and AAKG.

I know people have mixed opinions of these as bb supps but specifically on issues relating to heart health L-Carnitine and Arginine appear regularly.

I was thinking of a ALCAR, AAKG and Beta-Alanine pre-workout coctail.

Any other tips for heart health would be appreciated.

Jag
    anything enhances endothelial structure/function- grape seed extract, hawthorne berry, folate, just to name a few....stay away from cholesterol in general-a little is ok, but if you have family heart issues- I wouldn't eat a steak a day...Fish oils are very heart-healthy, as well as the following:

1. Co-enzyme Q-10- really good if you have ever taken statins- they knock out Q-10 readily

2. Anything that increases SOD (super oxide dismutase)- fights cellular damage and free radical

3. Vitamin E/tocotrienols- fight LDL cholesterol

4. Carnitine

5. Arjuna

6. blueberry

7. naringin

8. bromelain

9. green tea

10. nattokinase
    Dirk Tanis, BA, MSci
    Chief Operating Officer, Applied Nutriceuticals
  8. Jag
    Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  272 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred28 View Post
    My blood pressure was 172/112 2 weeks ago
    Now it is 129/79

I took coq10 100mg 2 times daily
    Hawthorne Berry 1200mg a day
    Garlic 1000mg 2 times daily
    Thanks all.

Jarred, what brand of CoQ10 are you using?

I think i recall considering a NOW Foods brand which combined the CoQ10 and Hawthorne Berry.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

Nobody likes resveratrol? Are you trying to target cholesterol levels or inflammation factors?
  10. Jag
    Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  272 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
    Nobody likes resveratrol? Are you trying to target cholesterol levels or inflammation factors?
    All blood work is good so not really targeting either specifically.

I'm in my mid 40s and have a history of heart disease in the family and i'm a big believer in prevention than cure.

Just covering bases now before i have to start worrying about the cure later.

Jag
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
    I like resveratrol as well
    Dirk Tanis, BA, MSci
    Chief Operating Officer, Applied Nutriceuticals
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  201 lbs.

Thanks all.

I think i recall considering a NOW Foods brand which combined the CoQ10 and Hawthorne Berry.
    I'm just using the GNC Cardio Formula coq10, its got 100mg coq10, 100mg l-arginine, 100mg l-carnitine, and 10mg lyc-o-mato lycopene,

But you will be fine with any brand of coq10. I just dose it 100mg in the morning and 100mg later on in the day.

I noticed the biggest decrease in bp when i started the garlic. Its super cheap too. Gives you nasty farts though haha.
  13. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I'm looking at ALCAR and AAKG as i'm in my 40's now with a family history of heart disease. ...
    Of all the popular advanced carnitine forms (acetyl-l-carnitine, propionyl-l-carnitine, acetyl-l-carnitine arginate), propionyl-l-carnitine appears to have the most affinity for heart muscles and cardiovascular function.
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  14. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Thanks all.

You might want to consider Life Extension CoQ10 Ubiquinol. In any case, if you decide to get it elsewhere, be sure it is licensed by Kaneka.
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.
  15. Diamond Member

...Any other tips for heart health would be appreciated.

Jag
    I hate to extend the list, but Blueberry Extract, Amla, Pomegranate Extract, and Cocoa Polyphenols may be worth considering.
  16. Advanced Member

I would be taking some bulk Na-RALA with your ALCAR. It is very affordable through nutraplanet. Besides being a potent anti-aging stack, it has a lot of heart benefits:

Researchers at Oregon State University and the University of Washington recently discovered that alpha lipoic acid supplementation can help reduce the buildup of cholesterol in blood vessels, potentially decreasing the risk of heart attack and stroke. Compared to untreated rodents, mice receiving alpha lipoic acid supplements showed a 40 to 55 percent reduction in cholesterol plaque formation and had significantly lower triglyceride levels.
    Eve's Health & Fitness: Can Alpha Lipoic Acid Reduce Heart Disease?

"Alpha-lipoic acid could have far-reaching consequences in the search for prevention and therapy of chronic degenerative diseases such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease," says Lester Packer, one of the leading researchers in the area of antioxidants -- vitamin E and alpha-lipoic acid in particular -- and a professor of molecular and cell biology at the University of California at Berkeley.
    02.21.96 - A relatively unknown antioxidant, alpha-lipoic acid, may be more potent than vitamins C and E

Quote Originally Posted by strategicmove View Post
    You might want to consider Life Extension CoQ10 Ubiquinol. In any case, if you decide to get it elsewhere, be sure it is licensed by Kaneka.
    I always pick up the doctor's best "best ubiquiquinol". It is the keneka QH form at an excellent price. But being 27 I don't take much of it.
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.

This one was recommended to me, I have not tried it yet due to cost. Not sure what the recommended dose is but was informed the user was doing two a day. 1 = 30mg of coQ10 plus CoQHeart contains 640 mcg of resveratrol. Doing the math it was like one bottle / 15 days so two bottles per month @ around $30 each ($60/mo)

CoQ10 is not inexpensive from any vendor.

Nutrition Coalition

Let me know if its wrong to post links and I'll remove it
  18. Advanced Member

640 mcg of resveratrol? That is an insanely small amount. IMO it is only in there to make it appear to be a value.

You could run real amounts of resveratrol, along with 100mg of the better form of COQ10 (ubiquinol), for much cheaper if you do some basic searching.
    doctor's best "best ubiquinol" 100mg + nutraplanet T-rez 400mg resveratrol = ~40/month

that is 625 times the amount of resveratrol per dose of the item you linked
  19. Advanced Member

Of all the popular advanced carnitine forms (acetyl-l-carnitine, propionyl-l-carnitine, acetyl-l-carnitine arginate), propionyl-l-carnitine appears to have the most affinity for heart muscles and cardiovascular function.

Will Gycine propionyl-l-carnitine (GPLC) give the smae benefits as propionyl-l-carnitine (PLCAR) ?

I can't find PLCAR anymore on line.
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by johnyq View Post
    640 mcg of resveratrol? That is an insanely small amount. IMO it is only in there to make it appear to be a value.

You could run real amounts of resveratrol, along with 100mg of the better form of COQ10 (ubiquinol), for much cheaper if you do some basic searching.
    doctor's best "best ubiquinol" 100mg + nutraplanet T-rez 400mg resveratrol = ~40/month

that is 625 times the amount of resveratrol per dose of the item you linked
    Just addin' my 2 cent, thats all. As said it was info passed onto me. Good input on your end keep it comin
  21. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

you can probably use stoked, has a good amount or Trans Resveratrol.

also look into something called the DASH diet, its basically low saturated fat, high potassium, lower sodium, high in fruits and veggies, complex carbs, and a decent amount of protein. of course adjust it to your needs, but thats the basic idea. follow a nice cardio regimen as well, take up boxing, swimming, jogging,....
  22. Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Imeniaan View Post
    Will Gycine propionyl-l-carnitine (GPLC) give the smae benefits as propionyl-l-carnitine (PLCAR) ?

I can't find PLCAR anymore on line.
    Sigma-Tau (the GPLC trademark owners) say the glycine bond makes it even superior!
  23. Jag
    Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  272 lbs.

I'm just waiting for NP to get it back in stock and will be making an order. Same with their Na-RLA caps.
  24. Jag
    Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  272 lbs.

Got a great deal on Ubiniquol from Puritan Pride a while back.

That's the other thing for me. I don't mind taking the supps but it has to be cost effective as well.
  25. Jag
    Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  272 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred28 View Post
    I'm just using the GNC Cardio Formula coq10, its got 100mg coq10, 100mg l-arginine, 100mg l-carnitine, and 10mg lyc-o-mato lycopene,

But you will be fine with any brand of coq10. I just dose it 100mg in the morning and 100mg later on in the day.

I noticed the biggest decrease in bp when i started the garlic. Its super cheap too. Gives you nasty farts though haha.
    Garlic is great. I've been doing Dave Palumbo's diet for a week or so now and add a clove of fresh raw garlic to 2 of my meals consisting of 6 eggs each. I get mine straight from my father-in-laws garden

Also noticed loads more veins recently and as i just resumed Beta-Alanine i'm not sure if it's that, the diet or the garlic that's responsible.....or the combination.

Garlic does have vaso-dilating properties though.
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

While it's good to regulate lipid levels(HDL, LDL, triglycerides), there is conflicting evidence on their importance in cardiac disease. It seems far more important to control inflammation markers like fib-a, homocysteine, or crp.

Was there ever any consensus on phosphatidylcholine?
  27. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  201 lbs.

i just started taking beta-alanine with creatine, noticed alot more endurance and vascularity while I have been on it, love the stuff.. it makes me very tingly
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. The Best Supplements for Heart Health
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 04:22 PM
  2. Americans and Heart Health
    By David Dunn in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2009, 08:18 AM
  3. Heart Health
    By jon671 in forum Nutrition / Health