How much Vitamin D do you take?

• Total voters
Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
After a discussion with a prof emeritus at my university, who studied Vitamin D for over 25 years, I was reminded of the great importance of Vitamin D supplementation. If you didn't know, it regulates over 1000 genes!It is especially important for those of us up in the more northernly latitudes, where sun rays aren't strong enough during the winter months?

A good read is : Vitamin D, A Gene-Regulating Super Nutrient

How much should I take? He has taken 3000 IU's, but can only recommend 2000 IU's legally, because that is the current "established" Canadian limit, which he hopes to change in upcoming regulations. Also it is very cheap, so there's no financial reason not to supplement it.

So my question to all of you is, do you get enough Vit D?

Edit: Gah the >2k option got cut off, I will get it added, hold on if that's your vote.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Most brands do not work with out calcium. I know we have drawn blood and out of 100 patients 98% were under 32 and 32 is low range 32-100.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That poll is not fair.

I take 10,000 IUs a day....everyday.

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That poll is not fair.

I take 10,000 IUs a day....everyday.
That is a very generous dose. How long have you been doing that dosing scheme? Is there any particular research/rationale for it. I would be slightly concerned with toxicity at such a high dose for extended periods of time. Did you ever get you VitD levels check?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I was at work one day, a man bought a bottle of our 100ct, 2000IU bottle of VitD. Swear to you, he swallowed all 100 pills right there at the register. I couldn't believe it. Then the jackass had the audacity to claim that he believed it only had 99 in the bottle.

2,000,000 IU of VitD. I haven't seen him since...

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That is a very generous dose. How long have you been doing that dosing scheme? Is there any particular research/rationale for it. I would be slightly concerned with toxicity at such a high dose for extended periods of time. Did you ever get you VitD levels check?
I get about 10 minutes of sun, if that these days....f**ked up schedule, the body can naturally make 10,000IUs a day, everyday....so I take it instead....once my schedule frees up a bit, I'll start being back out at noon, the beach, etc... and either discontinue or use a smaller dose of vitamin D.

The recommended daily allowance is 400 IU per day. Overdose has been observed at 1925 µg/d (77,000 IU per day). Acute overdose requires between 15,000 µg/d (600,000 IU per day) and 42,000 µg/d (1,680,000 IU per day) over a period of several days to months, with a safe intake level being 250 µg/d (10000 IU per day).[1] Foods contain low levels, and have not been known to cause overdose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_D

Too lazy to pull out all the sources and articles I've read, but I have no worries, I do want to test for iodine and vitamin D levels in the next couple of months.

Been taking it for almost 2 months, other mega dosing vitamins are Iodine (12.5mg) Vit C(5g a day), Niacin(500mg), B complex, Vit E and Fish oil 20ml a day.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I take up to 4000 IU everyday, and have for some time. I have my levels checked once or twice a year.

I've been saying it forever how important vitamin d is to the regulation of many cellular processes, disease prevention, and immune system maintenance/upregulation.

Love my vitamin D! :D

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I take up to 4000 IU everyday, and have for some time. I have my levels checked once or twice a year.

I've been saying it forever how important vitamin d is to the regulation of many cellular processes, disease prevention, and immune system maintenance/upregulation.

Love my vitamin D! :D
I thought you were gonna say anything over 500IUs is too much, most people in the medical field I talked to regard vitamins and minerals as witchcraft.....if it's not man made drugs, it's useless....

You wouldn't need to supplement if you get 2-3 hours of Florida sun every day right?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
most people in the medical field I talked to regard vitamins and minerals as witchcraft.....
He's a witch! BURN HIM!
(he turned me into a newt)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought you were gonna say anything over 500IUs is too much, most people in the medical field I talked to regard vitamins and minerals as witchcraft.....if it's not man made drugs, it's useless....

You wouldn't need to supplement if you get 2-3 hours of Florida sun every day right?
I did a whole research project in college on vitamin d. The fda guidelines for what they consider to be "adequate supplementation" is an absolute joke, and recent research proves it to be.

While i indeed am a man of medicine, I don't often agree with how certain theories/medications are marketed to the general public. Don't get me wrong, some medications are VITAL in disease process prevention and reoccurance, but some things are blown way out of proportion.

I don't often get out in the sun as much as you would think i do. Working (3-4) 12 hour shifts in the E.R. every week, i often don't get out as much as i would like...... even considering the fact that i live in florida.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Vitamin D is a very underappreciated and used supplement from my experince. When I was shadowing at a general practitioners office this summer he talked with me and told me somehtin like 99% of the people he takes blood from are deficient in Vitamin D. (His practice has a lab right there that gets your results of blood/x-rays quickly and in the same visit as you wait in the patient room really cool)

So somethin to think about. Also Johnny Bowden a top nutritionist is all about telling people to take Vitamin D and calcium. My vote was for +2000IU.... I mean mores always better right?:D

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i supp about 1000iu a day of d3..my multi v has 400iu of d2..when the clocks are turned an hour ahead i stop the d supps and just get it from the sun

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Personally, I am wary of going beyond 2000 IUs daily.

saludable24

Awards
  • Established
I get at leaste 1400 IUs from my multi and stand alone D sup from NOW. I will sometimes take an extra 1000 IUs when I feel I may be getting sick or run down.

Been doing this for over 2 years now.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My multi h as 1000 IU's and than I take a calcium/vitaD that has 400 iu's than my shake has anothr 40% which I forget how much it = in IU's. My office same thing out of 100 people even people that are on OTC vita D3 at 2000 IU's are still below low.

Motley Muscle

Awards
From the NIH:

Sun exposure
Most people meet their vitamin D needs through exposure to sunlight [6,27]. Ultraviolet (UV) B radiation with a wavelength of 290-315 nanometers penetrates uncovered skin and converts cutaneous 7-dehydrocholesterol to previtamin D3, which in turn becomes vitamin D3 [11,27-28]. Season, geographic latitude, time of day, cloud cover, smog, skin melanin content, and sunscreen are among the factors that affect UV radiation exposure and vitamin D synthesis [28]. The UV energy above 42 degrees north latitude (a line approximately between the northern border of California and Boston) is insufficient for cutaneous vitamin D synthesis from November through February [6]; in far northern latitudes, this reduced intensity lasts for up to 6 months. Latitudes below 34 degrees north (a line between Los Angeles and Columbia, South Carolina) allow for cutaneous production of vitamin D throughout the year [14]

Complete cloud cover reduces UV energy by 50%; shade (including that produced by severe pollution) reduces it by 60% [29]. UVB radiation does not penetrate glass, so exposure to sunshine indoors through a window does not produce vitamin D [30]. Sunscreens with a sun protection factor of 8 or more appear to block vitamin D-producing UV rays, although in practice people generally do not apply sufficient amounts, cover all sun-exposed skin, or reapply sunscreen regularly [31]. Skin likely synthesizes some vitamin D even when it is protected by sunscreen as typically applied.

The factors that affect UV radiation exposure and research to date on the amount of sun exposure needed to maintain adequate vitamin D levels make it difficult to provide general guidelines. It has been suggested, for example, that approximately 5-30 minutes of sun exposure between 10 AM and 3 PM at least twice a week to the face, arms, legs, or back without sunscreen usually lead to sufficient vitamin D synthesis and that the moderate use of commercial tanning beds that emit 2-6% UVB radiation is also effective [11,28]. Individuals with limited sun exposure need to include good sources of vitamin D in their diet or take a supplement.

I had winter depression a few years back and my Vit D was at 27. My friend who is an ND and has done years of bloodwork for Vit D, recommended 40,000 once per week until I was up in the 80's (took 10 weeks). Then she recommended 4,000 as the maintenance but said I could go up to 10,000 (see page 19 of link below). She flat said that if you are low and just taking the recommended doses, you will NOT get your score up quick enough to make a difference. She tested me every 2 weeks during saturation and my bloodwork was perfect. No adverse effects from 40,000 IU's at all.

I used to be a sunblock junkie, but now I get my 20-30 min of sun 3-4x per week in the summer and THEN put on the SPF. I start my Vit D saturation in September and have felt GREAT during the winters ever since. BTW, I live in WA.

I know this is a long post, but Vit D is so important and it changed things for me so much, I thought I'd share my experience.

Here's a link with summaries of studies with graphs starting on page 14. I found page 1 interesting...
cancer.ca/Canada-wide/Prevention/Use%20SunSense/UV%20%20Vitamin%20D%20and%20Health%20Conference/~/media/CCS/Canada%20wide/Files%20List/English%20files%20heading/pdf%20not%20in%20publications%20section/Reinhold%20Vieth%20-%20pdf_899467573.ashx

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes and needs to be clinically proven for that brand ratio to work. I have so many patients going otc and getting something at 2000 iu's a day and still only going up 1 point every few months.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Personally, I am wary of going beyond 2000 IUs daily.
I recently read that some research has showed that 2000IU is safe for children and that the Canadian equivlent of the ADA has said that pregnant women can use 2000IU as well.

Just food for thought.

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
Yes and needs to be clinically proven for that brand ratio to work. I have so many patients going otc and getting something at 2000 iu's a day and still only going up 1 point every few months.
Are you sure of this? I know calcium and phosphorous absorption are regulated by Vit-D, but I was under the impression that oral Vit-D was absorbed with fats due to its fat solubility. It is transported to the liver with absorbed fats as well.

Unless calcium effects fat absorption?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you sure of this? I know calcium and phosphorous absorption are regulated by Vit-D, but I was under the impression that oral Vit-D was absorbed with fats due to its fat solubility. It is transported to the liver with absorbed fats as well.

Unless calcium effects fat absorption?
Vitamin D is indeed fat soluable, and taking it with fats will enhance absorbtion. That's actually a good point that many often overlook.

Check this out as well:

Chapter 6F: Hormonal regulation of calcium and phosphate balance

Authors
Burton D Rose, MD
Theodore W Post, MD
Section Editor
Burton D Rose, MD
Deputy Editor
Theodore W Post, MD

Last literature review version 16.2: May 2008 | This topic last updated: September 14, 2000 (More)

INTRODUCTION — The maintenance of calcium and phosphate homeostasis involves changes in intestinal, bone, and renal function. Regulation of intestinal function is important because, in contrast to the complete absorption of dietary NaCl and KCl, the absorption of Ca2+ and phosphate is incomplete. This limitation is due both to the requirement for vitamin D and to the formation of insoluble salts in the intestinal lumen, such as calcium phosphate, calcium oxalate, and magnesium phosphate.

As an example, a normal adult may ingest 1000 mg of Ca2+ per day, of which roughly 400 to 500 mg may be absorbed. However, 300 mg of calcium from digestive secretions is lost in the stool, resulting in the net absorption of only 100 to 200 mg [1]. In the steady state, this quantity of calcium is excreted in the urine.

Most of the body Ca2+ and much of the phosphate exist as hydroxyapatite, Ca10(PO4)6(OH)2, the main mineral component of bone. Phosphate also is present in high concentration in the cells. Within the plasma, both Ca2+ and phosphate circulate in different forms. Of the plasma Ca2+, roughly 40 percent is bound to albumin, 15 percent is complexed with citrate, sulfate, or phosphate, and 45 percent exists as the physiologically important ionized (or free) Ca2+. Plasma phosphorus, in comparison, consists of phospholipids, ester phosphates, and inorganic phosphates. The latter are completely ionized, circulating primarily as HPO42- or H2PO4- in a ratio of 4:1 at a plasma pH of 7.40. (See "Chapter 10B: Buffers").

Although only a small fraction of the total body calcium and phosphate is located in the plasma, it is the plasma concentrations of ionized Ca2+ and inorganic phosphate that are under hormonal control. This function is mediated primarily by parathyroid hormone and vitamin D, which affect intestinal absorption, bone formation and resorption, and urinary excretion [1-6]. The physiologic roles of other hormones such as calcitonin and estrogens in the regulation of Ca2+ and phosphate balance are incompletely understood and will not be discussed further [7].

PARATHYROID HORMONE — Parathyroid hormone (PTH) is a polypeptide secreted from the parathyroid glands in response to a decrease in the plasma concentration of ionized Ca2+ [2]. This change is sensed by a specific Ca2+-sensing protein in the cell membrane of the parathyroid cells [3,8].The receptor permits variations in the plasma Ca2+ concentration to be sensed by the parathyroid gland, leading to the desired changes in PTH secretion. Polymorphisms of this receptor may underlie a significant portion of the variability observed in the serum calcium concentrations in normal individuals [9], while inactivating mutations lead to hypercalcemia because a higher plasma Ca2+ concentration is required to activate the receptor and suppress PTH release [10-12].

Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University

Here's a more in depth read:

Chapter*2.*Calcium and Phosphate Homeostasis

goodside

goodside

Awards
Looks like more vitamin D for me. Only taking 1000IU but i'll bump mine up to 3000IU. **** it's only $4 for 180 1000IU caps. Thanks for the info!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9d_HK3XN4c"]YouTube - Vitamin D: Essential for Prevention of Diseases[/ame]

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Pre D3 supplementation level was 34. Sources of vitamin d consisted of the miniscule amounts from a multi, diet and exposure to the SoCal sunlight, ~6 hours week direct sunlight.

Started 10,000IUs of D3 and after 6 months levels were at 45. The last half coincided with summer season so sunscreen was used and may have affected levels. But weekly sun exposure as at least 12hrs/week.

Now on 4000IUs for the past 4 months. Will see what my physical in January reveals.

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My most recent Vitamin D (25 hydroxy) drawn in june of this year was 30 ng/ml (I live in florida, so that is just plain sad, lol.) 32 - 100 ng/ml is considered sufficient by the reference standard of the lab utilized.

It is recommended to be in the 40-50 ng/ml range by many MD's due to enhanced benefits/effects of Vitamin D.

I'm going to increase to 5000 IU/day, and have my level checked again early next year.

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the study Trauma. I was aware of the general gist but interesting to see the mechanism more indepth.

I'm fairly certain calcium has nothing to do with Vit D absorption, but rather that, like you posted, Vit D has worlds to do with calcium and phosphorous absorption. We should be supplementing with fats at the same time as our Vit D dosing, so I try to take my D with my fish oil if I'm not taking it with meals.

The Gov "daily requirement" is quite absurd. For instance, the Vit C daily requirement is simply the lowest amount to stave off scurvy.

We were taught last year about Vit D supplementation in one of our med classes. Powerful effect as an immune modulator, and also helpful with glucose disposal in those with insulin resistance. Anectodally, I put my pre-diabetic (NIDDM runs in the family) mother on 1000 IUs a day; within 3 months, her fasting glucose dropped from 108 to 95.

I'm glad I found this thread though, because that same med school class told us to not supplement patients with over 1000IUs/day. Now I just might stick with that guideline in the future for my patients, but for myself and my mother I'll be upping the daily dose to 5000IUs daily. This stuff is too good and too cheap to not be dosing high.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the study Trauma. I was aware of the general gist but interesting to see the mechanism more indepth.

I'm fairly certain calcium has nothing to do with Vit D absorption, but rather that, like you posted, Vit D has worlds to do with calcium and phosphorous absorption. We should be supplementing with fats at the same time as our Vit D dosing, so I try to take my D with my fish oil if I'm not taking it with meals.

The Gov "daily requirement" is quite absurd. For instance, the Vit C daily requirement is simply the lowest amount to stave off scurvy.

We were taught last year about Vit D supplementation in one of our med classes. Powerful effect as an immune modulator, and also helpful with glucose disposal in those with insulin resistance. Anectodally, I put my pre-diabetic (NIDDM runs in the family) mother on 1000 IUs a day; within 3 months, her fasting glucose dropped from 108 to 95.

I'm glad I found this thread though, because that same med school class told us to not supplement patients with over 1000IUs/day. Now I just might stick with that guideline in the future for my patients, but for myself and my mother I'll be upping the daily dose to 5000IUs daily. This stuff is too good and too cheap to not be dosing high.
Glad you liked it my friend. I do the same things when taking my Vitamin D as well. :) I have so many studies saved on vitamin d, i just have to find them all.

Vitamin D has really taken my interest, and i'm eager to follow-up with recent studies and such.

I didn't know you were a med student, good deal! Nice to have some friendly medicine based people on the board. Very good to hear about your moms positive results with here FBS through vitamin d supplementation.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dj I also am confused about how you post about "your office" and that you "have so many patients"... are you a doctor, or responsible for the care of patients? I search some of your previous posts ( I.e. your log had a bit of background info http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/103309-my-cre-02-a.html#post1539472 , but not much) and I can't find anything to help me out in figuring out your comments.
Its a Doctors office (MD) with 3000 patients. Today alone I Called 10 patients with low levels of Vitamin D and when asked if they were taking any thing most were taking something from GNC, costco, Trader joes, Whole foods, jimbos, kirkland or henerys. Each person was taking close to 1000 IU all the way up to 2000 IU's and only went up 1 or 2 points or non at all. Price per dollar it would take them 3 years to get to the normal range. My log has nothing to do with Vitamin D and the levels the patients in my office have. So endless its clinically tested to be absorbed you gotta be carefull on your pocket books.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Is it fair to assume most people (here) are using the D3 form?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Vitamin D has NEVER had any toxicity issues reported. I preloaded with 20,000ius to get my plasma levels up when I read about it's role in S.A.D. The body makes that much in 15-20 minutes of unprotected sun exposure and the rest is destroyed that isn't needed.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Its a Doctors office (MD) with 3000 patients. Today alone I Called 10 patients with low levels of Vitamin D and when asked if they were taking any thing most were taking something from GNC, costco, Trader joes, Whole foods, jimbos, kirkland or henerys. Each person was taking close to 1000 IU all the way up to 2000 IU's and only went up 1 or 2 points or non at all. Price per dollar it would take them 3 years to get to the normal range. My log has nothing to do with Vitamin D and the levels the patients in my office have. So endless its clinically tested to be absorbed you gotta be carefull on your pocket books.
By looking at your videos and your logs, I would not set foot in whatever doc's office you're working in.

Post studies on your findings, because everything I've researched points that you're full of beans.

Erekose

Erekose

Awards
I take 5000iu every other day for general health and bumping up my HDL levels.
I initially bought it for my wife (she has MS and some research indicates D3 supplementation helps).

Viffer

Viffer

Awards
Do you take straight D3 or w/ Cal/Mag and do you take w/ fat?

Vitamin D is indeed fat soluable, and taking it with fats will enhance absorbtion. That's actually a good point that many often overlook.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you take straight D3 or w/ Cal/Mag and do you take w/ fat?

I use straight D3 (Cholecalciferol.) I get plenty of calcium throughout the day with the amount of milk i drink.

I take the D3 with any source of fat to enhance absorbtion. This includes any fat based meal, Flax Oil, or whatever source works better for you.

Viffer

Viffer

Awards
Thanks all. Good info and good thread. I've personally seen positive results w/ D3 supplementation but am thinking I need to up the dosage a bit and have blood checked and monitored.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks all. Good info and good thread. I've personally seen positive results w/ D3 supplementation but am thinking I need to up the dosage a bit and have blood checked and monitored.
No problem. I have my level checked 2x/year as well. Living in florida does make it a little easier to get that D3 year round though. :)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting read Vitamin D Council | Understanding Vitamin D Cholecalciferol . I think I'm bumping my intake up to 5000 IU's daily. Looks like my 2 , 250ct 1000 IU's bottles will only last me 100 days lol.

PS Does anybody have access to the full abstract, my university doesn't. Nov2008: Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A Toxicity, Frequent Respiratory Infections, and the Vitamin D Deficiency Epidemic
Good posting, steve. This paragraph really says it all:

Technically not a "vitamin," vitamin D is in a class by itself. Its metabolic product, calcitriol, is actually a secosteroid hormone that targets over 1000 genes in the human body. Current research has implicated vitamin D deficiency as a major factor in the pathology of at least 17 varieties of cancer as well as heart disease, stroke, hypertension, autoimmune diseases, diabetes, depression, chronic pain, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, muscle weakness, muscle wasting, birth defects, periodontal disease, and more.
Vitamin D's influence on key biological functions vital to one's health and well-being mandates that vitamin D no longer be ignored by the health care industry nor by individuals striving to achieve and maintain a greater state of health.
Vitamin D is often misleading by its vitamin classification. It's truly in a unique class all by itself, and one with significant importance in regard to general health maintenance and disease prevention.

bigpoppapump2

bigpoppapump2

Awards
  • Established
Damn. Some real good info here. I'm gonna start supplementing with Vitamin D now...