GMS vs. Glycocyamine

ShiftyCapone

ShiftyCapone

Awards
  • Established
Hey, just wondering which would be more effective, Glycerol Mono Stearate or Glycocyamine....

I plan on taking at about a 1:1 ratio with creatine to help increase effectiveness of the creatine.

Esox Express

Esox Express

Awards
  • Established
well i just got done ranting about my boner over GMS on the "best pump supp" thread, but I don't have any experience with glycocyamine.

I would suggest trying out GMS. Even if you don't like it, your only out 4 bucks. (100g = 3.99 at NP). I take 1tsp preworkout and get out-of-this-world pumps. It works out to be 62.5 servings/100g at 1.6g/tsp. not bad for $4.... you might as well try it out, you got nothing to lose.

I love GMS.:woohoo:

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Glycocyamine, according to most of the info around, is not very healthy and I personally do not use any products with it.

The first problem with this substance is that glycocyamine is known to increase our blood levels of homocysteine, which is thought to be a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. This means that we're more likely to have heart disease/atherosclerosis when our homocysteine levels are high. Oh, and don't forget that cardiovascular disease is still the #1 killer in the Western world.
Well even if that's not true, I'm not going to take the chance.

I say go with GMS (or better yet: GlycerGROW) stacked with creatine for good gains.

M

MHA

Awards
  • Established
So how come gms in bulk comes in lil balls snd looks like wax and cl clycergrow is in a fine powder. Now I loved np's bulk gms but ran out and I just ordered gycergrow and like a said it looks different now I have not tryed it but just waneted to know how come its structure is different.

Esox Express

Esox Express

Awards
  • Established
So how come gms in bulk comes in lil balls snd looks like wax and cl clycergrow is in a fine powder. Now I loved np's bulk gms but ran out and I just ordered gycergrow and like a said it looks different now I have not tryed it but just waneted to know how come its structure is different.
My Gms came in a powder. If you leave the lid off for a while it will absorb moisture from the air and form clumps though.

M

MHA

Awards
  • Established
My Gms came in a powder. If you leave the lid off for a while it will absorb moisture from the air and form clumps though.
MoFo'in sh!t my was like lil wax balls before I opened it that's how come I'm askin cause my glycergrow is a fine powder. But I guess it still worked cause I got pumped with water when liftin. Sh!t man, but I still love nutra any one have the same problem as me. I still remember lookin it up and people described it as being flakey so I thought that was they were talkin about.

ShiftyCapone

ShiftyCapone

Awards
  • Established
Alright, here's a question that I haven't really found a positive answer to.

Does GMS have any effect on insulin release?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Alright, here's a question that I haven't really found a positive answer to.

Does GMS have any effect on insulin release?
This is from the GlycerGROW writeup:

"GlycerGrow appears to have little impact on insulin and blood sugar levels."

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
MoFo'in sh!t my was like lil wax balls before I opened it that's how come I'm askin cause my glycergrow is a fine powder. But I guess it still worked cause I got pumped with water when liftin. Sh!t man, but I still love nutra any one have the same problem as me. I still remember lookin it up and people described it as being flakey so I thought that was they were talkin about.
GMS could look like that. GlycerGROW is not only GMS, it's a blend of GMS, electrolytes and Taurine. Electrolytes are a big part of hyperhydration and a key to the winning equation. So that's why ours is a fine, light fluffy powder. It's not only GMS... Hope this helps!

RR

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hey, just wondering which would be more effective, Glycerol Mono Stearate or Glycocyamine....

I plan on taking at about a 1:1 ratio with creatine to help increase effectiveness of the creatine.
should help make creatine more effective- take a quick read- found this to be pretty interesting:

Protein turnover

Prior to creatine becoming a popular dietary supplement, a series of in vitro and in vivo investigations by Ingwall and colleagues 36-39 showed that myosin heavy-chain, actin and creatine kinase synthesis increased in cardiac and skeletal muscle subsequent to creatine exposure. Additionally, Häussinger et al. 40 demonstrated that hyperhydrating a cell, which may happen during creatine supplementation, is an anabolic signal which positively impacts protein turnover. Although the theory for a role of creatine in protein synthesis is based on sound logic and data, there appears to be little effect of creatine supplementation on protein synthesis in humans

36. Ingwall JS, Morales MF, Stockdale FE. Creatine and the control of myosin synthesis in differentiating skeletal muscle. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1972; 69:2250-2253.

37. Ingwall JS. Creatine and the control of muscle-specific protein synthesis in cardiac and skeletal muscle. Circ Res 1976; 38 (Suppl 1):115-123.

38. Ingwall JS, Morales MF, Stockdale FE, et al. Creatine: A possible stimulus skeletal cardiac muscle hypertrophy. Recent Adv Stud Cardiac Struct Metab 1975; 8:467-481.

39. Ingwall JS, Wildenthal K. Role of creatine in the regulation of cardiac protein synthesis. J Cell Biol 1976; 68:159-163.

40. Häussinger D, Roth E, Lang F, et al. Cellular hydration state: An important determinant of protein catabolism in health and disease. Lancet 1993; 341:1330-1332

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I know the thread is about GMS- but there is no reason GMS or GMS plus some type of creatine source could not accomplish this hyperhydration and resulting increased protein synthesis.....I will look around some more- they may even be synergistic together

pretty amazing that these two components have been on the market for years- IMHO, they are both way under-utilized....if you saw something about a new supplement that could do this: "supplementation may alter skeletal muscle directly, by increased muscle glycogen and phosphocreatine, faster phosphocreatine resynthesis, increased expression of endocrine and growth factor mRNA, or indirectly, through increased training volume." It would be the next best thing, right? :)

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I know the thread is about GMS- but there is no reason GMS or GMS plus some type of creatine source could not accomplish this hyperhydration and resulting increased protein synthesis.....I will look around some more- they may even be synergistic together

pretty amazing that these two components have been on the market for years- IMHO, they are both way under-utilized....if you saw something about a new supplement that could do this: "supplementation may alter skeletal muscle directly, by increased muscle glycogen and phosphocreatine, faster phosphocreatine resynthesis, increased expression of endocrine and growth factor mRNA, or indirectly, through increased training volume." It would be the next best thing, right? :)
Exactly. GMS & Creatine go hand in hand. Thanks for posting those

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Exactly. GMS & Creatine go hand in hand. Thanks for posting those
****- I want to try them together now :) I have used them both separately- used GMS years ago- great results/pumps/etc., and creatine- it always does me right- especially the way I train...

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
****- I want to try them together now :) I have used them both separately- used GMS years ago- great results/pumps/etc., and creatine- it always does me right- especially the way I train...
Get some GlycerGROW bro! :D

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
check your pm's

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
I've been telling people about this combo for years. It helps you to stay nice and full during ketosis. Creatine + GMS/Glycerol/Glycerine+Ketosis= One hell of a quick and awesome recomp!

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I've been telling people about this combo for years. It helps you to stay nice and full during ketosis. Creatine + GMS/Glycerol/Glycerine+Ketosis= One hell of a quick and awesome recomp!
I am going to try this :)

The Tanya

The Tanya

AN Rep
Awards
Well...It's obviously working for you!

ShiftyCapone

ShiftyCapone

Awards
  • Established
Bought a few different kinds of bulk creatine and bought the GMS to see which type of creatine it would help with the most. Now, all I have to do is buy some Ketosis....:rofl:

Kidding... I've been wanting to give CKD a shot for some time now. Guess i'll have to plan it out soon then

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I will keep you guys posted...

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think you're going to find much in here. It's the ester-free glycerol that's causing the "Pump" effects. Unfortunately, it is an intercellular hydrator. It cannot make its way into the muscle cell; thereby, doing the exact opposite of what we want: drawing water out of the cell.

I think glycocyanamine has kinda been hush because of the negative potentials it has. It inhibits creatine transporters. What I think is the big kicker is that it is neurotoxic.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I don't think you're going to find much in here. It's the ester-free glycerol that's causing the "Pump" effects. Unfortunately, it is an intercellular hydrator. It cannot make its way into the muscle cell; thereby, doing the exact opposite of what we want: drawing water out of the cell.

I think glycocyanamine has kinda been hush because of the negative potentials it has. It inhibits creatine transporters. What I think is the big kicker is that it is neurotoxic.
Interesting...neurotoxicity plus edema= no go :)

And you made a good point- glycerol can find its way into skeletal muscle interstitial fluid, but not actual skeletal muscle- a lot of the studies mention glycerol, skeletal muscle and increased fluid volume- but do not necessarily make the discernment that the fluid is interstitial.....

makes sense- but why does glycerol dry me out so well?

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting...neurotoxicity plus edema= no go :)

And you made a good point- glycerol can find its way into skeletal muscle interstitial fluid, but not actual skeletal muscle- a lot of the studies mention glycerol, skeletal muscle and increased fluid volume- but do not necessarily make the discernment that the fluid is interstitial.....

makes sense- but why does glycerol dry me out so well?
My guess is more water is stored in the blood, as opposed to adipose tissue.

Glycerol is some crazy stuff, which water molecules will go crazy for. Very very strong attraction to water molecules. If a water molecule was a 12-year-old girl, Glycerol would be N'Sync.

It makes your veins pop out and your muscles look fuller, but it is only a temporary, cosmetic effect that doesn't really help towards the building of new muscle cells.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
I don't doubt that the effects of GMS are purely cosmetic. But despite having little to no impact on insulin response, could it not be converted to and stored as glycogen? It is, after all, a carb. Anecdotally speaking, I'm sure there is a synergy between GMS & CM. Neither of them alone works as well as in conjunction. Now keep in mind, this is only my experience and that of the people that I have turned on to it. You guys are operating on another level of knowledge and I'd love to hear what you have to say.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
My guess is more water is stored in the blood, as opposed to adipose tissue.

Glycerol is some crazy stuff, which water molecules will go crazy for. Very very strong attraction to water molecules. If a water molecule was a 12-year-old girl, Glycerol would be N'Sync.

It makes your veins pop out and your muscles look fuller, but it is only a temporary, cosmetic effect that doesn't really help towards the building of new muscle cells.
Makes sense- since adipose is so poorly vascularized- btw- nice use of the N'Sync analogy :)

but from a hypertrophic/hyperplasic standpoint- it would be nice if it worked like that- and I think a lot of consumers out there do actually think that it does- but it goes back to why I love creatine so much, and the point I was trying to make earlier- it CAN work from a hypertrophic standpoint (and even possibly from a hyperplasic)- but tends to get largely ignored as people look for the "next best thing".....

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't doubt that the effects of GMS are purely cosmetic. But despite having little to no impact on insulin response, could it not be converted to and stored as glycogen? It is, after all, a carb. Anecdotally speaking, I'm sure there is a synergy between GMS & CM. Neither of them alone works as well as in conjunction. Now keep in mind, this is only my experience and that of the people that I have turned on to it. You guys are operating on another level of knowledge and I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Well the CM would help to increase volume of cellular fluid, and the Glycerol would increase the volume of intercellular fluid. More water is being drawn into the muscle's...general area.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Got it. But shouldn't that make a person appear puffy and water-logged? I can't say that I ever experienced any of that.
I was trying to think of the first time I ever tried them. It was basically when EAS and creatine were the "new hotness!" HAHAHA. EAS started up a side line of products and one of them were these packets of glycerine. It was an instant love affair. Too bad I had no idea what I was doing. LOL

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Got it. But shouldn't that make a person appear puffy and water-logged? I can't say that I ever experienced any of that.
Me either, it seems to have a diuretic effect at the same time volumizing muscles. That is why it was banned in the NCAA. It was considered a diuretic.

I also don't understand why, if it was not shuttling water into the muscle, users would experience an increase of DOMs associated with it (similar to AA)

naturalguy

naturalguy

Universal Nutrition
Awards
  • Established
GMS is technically a fat, not a carb

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
GMS is technically a fat, not a carb
this is where it gets confusing.

You are right as much as you are wrong.

Stearic acid is the fatty acid.

Glycerol, itself, is a sugar alcohol.

Chimpinzo

Chimpinzo

Awards
I'm confused... If it would draw water OUT of the muscle, wouldn't that be counter-productive?

Like... Reverse-creatine

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was trying to think of the first time I ever tried them. It was basically when EAS and creatine were the "new hotness!" HAHAHA. EAS started up a side line of products and one of them were these packets of glycerine. It was an instant love affair. Too bad I had no idea what I was doing. LOL
No. You are thinking of something storing water into the cell. Glycerol would do the opposite: it draws water out of the cell. The end result is you store more water in your blood.

If you're going to the beach, take some and do like some pushups and crunches or some **** about an hour before you go, and it'll probably tighten you up a noticeable little bit.

I'm confused... If it would draw water OUT of the muscle, wouldn't that be counter-productive?

Like... Reverse-creatine
Exactly. It likley is counterproductive if you are trying to build muscle mass. It will, however, accumulate in your blood and fluids between the muscle fibers (interstitial) to cause a fuller look and nicer vascularity.

While it works inversely to that of creatine, don't think of it as a reverse creatine because it will increase the volume between fibers. Creatine is a cellular volumizer. Glycerol would be more like a extra-cellular volumizer... kinda.