Advice on Prime - Antibiotics and Flu

Hockey Rulz

Hockey Rulz

Awards
OK, I am warranting advice from an internet forum, lol so I will take this with a grain of salt. LOL

At about day 15 of my Prime run (lifts were cranking through the roof, going all day at the gym, responding very well to the supp etc etc) I came down with a nasty cold of some sort (last Wed night after quads during my class at school I felt the sickness creep over me).

So Thursday I took off from gym, but continued Prime dosing (2 am, midday, pm), Friday feeling a little better I pushed through a pretty decent back workout for being sick. Finished my 3rd week of Prime. Saturday just was DOWN AND OUT, full on cold, slept 20 some odd hours. Sunday woke up, felt all right and by afternoon decided to go do shoulders and HITT. Well, might have been a mistake, because Sunday night I was feeling like arse. Woke up in the middle of the night just hacking and sick as can be.

Monday (two days ago) I didn't take Prime, and doc saw me and put me on amoxicillin 3x a day 500 mg per serving. Here it is Tuesday and I'm still feeling about 40-50% normal, so should I just forego Prime till I feel back to lifting? I mean I haven't taken two days off in a row in a LONG time, not to mention just hitting my stride with Prime. Ugh. Or should I just continue dosing say tomorrow Weds and just lift when back to normal. I am very dedicated but I know when I barely can handle office duties/work, the gym is not going to happen. Just walking to get coffee seemingly a monumental task right now.

Any suggestions? Any known interactions with Prime and antibiotics? Can't see why there would be, fighting a sinus infection is the point of the antibiotics, Prime has nothing to do with the immune system from all the literature I've read.

[Note: I responded in a positive way to Prime. My workouts were getting insane, and I was starting to hit some PR #s. I see a LOT of mixed reviews out there now, my diet is (was till I got sick) dialed in, and my workouts are continued through logging all past #s so I know where I am now in relationship to a week, month, year, years ago.]

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What kind of symptoms are you having?

Did you get a flu vaccination this year?

Antibiotics are not effective against a viral source of infection (viral infection is through a completely different mechanism/pathway.) Sometimes viral infections can allow opportunistic bacterial infections to surface (most commonly pneumonia, sinusitis), but that is rare in itself unless your immune system is seriously in a suppressed state.

Hormonal changes and/or stress can and will influence shifts in immune system integrity, however we are also entering rhinovirus/influenza season.

Hockey Rulz

Hockey Rulz

Awards
What kind of symptoms are you having?

Did you get a flu vaccination this year?

Antibiotics are not effective against a viral source of infection (viral infection is through a completely different mechanism/pathway.) Sometimes viral infections can allow opportunistic bacterial infections to surface (most commonly pneumonia, sinusitis), but that is rare in itself unless your immune system is seriously in a suppressed state.

Hormonal changes and/or stress can and will influence shifts in immune system integrity, however we are also entering rhinovirus/influenza season.
No flu vaccination this year, roommate came back from Colorado and was sick as heck on top of getting a flu vaccine prior to the trip. 3 days later I came down with something nasty, I blame him lol. Figured it was just a head cold, but started to become worse, and then I got a fever and my sinuses clogged at the same time.

I do understand the difference between viral and bacterial infections. I have had sinus infections in the past, and this started out as some flu like crap, but next thing you know low grade fever with multicolored clots discharging from my sinuses. I was treated a few years ago for sinusitis, or diagnosed with it. Doctor saw me and thought (like you pointed out) that I have some sort of bug, but also a sinus infection.

Stress? LOL Well let's see I am trying to finish another degree (this time another BS, and in Finance) before I take the plunge for an MBA program. So I am crunching 3 classes (9 credit hours), 6 day a week workout program, full time GF, oh and I am manager for an engineering group for a communications firm in the DC area.

Maybe that all caught up with me?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No flu vaccination this year, roommate came back from Colorado and was sick as heck on top of getting a flu vaccine prior to the trip. 3 days later I came down with something nasty, I blame him lol. Figured it was just a head cold, but started to become worse, and then I got a fever and my sinuses clogged at the same time.

I do understand the difference between viral and bacterial infections. I have had sinus infections in the past, and this started out as some flu like crap, but next thing you know low grade fever with multicolored clots discharging from my sinuses. I was treated a few years ago for sinusitis, or diagnosed with it. Doctor saw me and thought (like you pointed out) that I have some sort of bug, but also a sinus infection.

Stress? LOL Well let's see I am trying to finish another degree (this time another BS, and in Finance) before I take the plunge for an MBA program. So I am crunching 3 classes (9 credit hours), 6 day a week workout program, full time GF, oh and I am manager for an engineering group for a communications firm in the DC area.

Maybe that all caught up with me?
It sounds like a URI (Upper respiratory Infection) with some sinus involvement. Influenza causes very high fevers
(102-103 degrees), with more impressive systemic symptoms of body aches and general malaise. It's that time of year when viral illnesses in general are going around (especially since kids are back in school.) I've literally watched everyone at work one by one get similar illnesses over the past few weeks.

I think it's probably just coincidental that you became ill especially since your roommate was recently ill as well.

Drink those fluids, and rest up. :) If you continue to run a fever with no improvement in overall symptomatology, i'd get in to see your primary docotor for a thorough eval and treatment.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Trauma is the man.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
There was some talk about PRIME possibly causing some people to catch the flu, but I think it was mostly just coincidence as PRIME was released just before the flu season starting ramping up. But we still aren't sure about Prime MOA so anything is possible, albeit doubtful.

Take the murse's suggestions and rest up :D

Hockey Rulz

Hockey Rulz

Awards
Thanks

Yeah, thanks fellas, just have to be resign to the fact that I am going take a few days maybe even a week off from lifting and cease my prime intake.

I'm still trying to take in 3500 calories at least a day, but being sick it is tough since appetite is squashed.

I think I am finally on the upside of this sick curve so hopefully by weekend time I'll be back on the swing of things.

Rest, and fluids like my doctor told me. Ah well...

Later

crzyyoungn

crzyyoungn

Awards
There was some talk about PRIME possibly causing some people to catch the flu, but I think it was mostly just coincidence as PRIME was released just before the flu season starting ramping up. But we still aren't sure about Prime MOA so anything is possible, albeit doubtful.

Take the murse's suggestions and rest up :D

:jaw: im in week 3(week three started saturday) of my prime run and i started developing a cough with thick yellow phlegm that's been getting worse since saturday....

Hockey Rulz

Hockey Rulz

Awards
:jaw: im in week 3(week three started saturday) of my prime run and i started developing a cough with thick yellow phlegm that's been getting worse since saturday....

Well, I think as it was mentioned earlier, tis that time of the year. Who know's maybe this stuff is so potent you don't realize you are wearing yourself down lol.

I've had a sinus infection (on day 4 of antibiotics and stuff is finally clearing out...) plus a respirartory infrection. Saw my doc on Monday, she said some nasty stuff is going around this year; diagnosed me and sent me on my way.

I have been hacking up all sorts of nice stuff, some of which I'm sure is draining from my sinuses. Had a sore throat for a few days, still nagging even now, but again I attribute that from the irritation from my sinuses and coughing.

Day 4 of no gym, down 5lbs already, unreal. Still maintaining 3500 calories, I'm starting to question how that is possible.

I'm taking today off, and then tomorrow going to go in and do a light back and chest day. See how that goes...

Probably will not go back on Prime (have 2.5 bottles sitting at house) till I'm done with antibiotics, and all is clear.

Later

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Get some probiotics to help you're gut bounce back. Anything from Kefir to Gut Health/NOW Acidophilus/Bif.... will do the trick, just get something.
http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/rpn/gut-health-35-caps.html for $11 is crazy, or http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/now-foods/8-billion-acidophilus-bifidus-120-caps.html is another good choice.
Gut Health, FTW!

Gut Health coupled with NOxidant is an excellent combination in the maintenance and upregulation of health/immunity. :D