Vitamins

Graham

Awards
What vitamins are good for building muscle an protien uptake. Our just good for working out period?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What vitamins are good for building muscle an protien uptake. Our just good for working out period?
Certain vitamins can help enhance the absorption of certain nutrients, but do not "build muscle", per se. As long as you're meeting the RDI/AI (or, if training heavily, on the higher end of the recommended daily dosages) for each vitamin/mineral, then you should be fine re health.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Digestive Enzymes can help you get more nutrients out of food if your body is deficient, and also to deal with the increase in protein.
Vitamins are only needed if your diet is sub-standard, however it is a good insurance option for only $0.25/day. I would suggest you up your Vit D intake to 2000 IU's, especially if you live far from the equator. CoQ10 (Pref. Idebenone) is also worth adding.

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
I heard Anabolic Vitakic by Muscletech helped force massive amounts of muscle on Jay Cutler in a matter of weeks.:lol:

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I love my vitamins.

I recommend:
Orange TRIad
or Ecogreen

True74Seneca

Animal Pak is king. Orange TRIad is also very very good.

AGGR3S10N

Awards
MVP365 has been my favorite Multi yet, the profile is great and I really notice the difference in my day when I take it.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
MVP365 has been my favorite Multi yet, the profile is great and I really notice the difference in my day when I take it.
Couldn't agree more buddy...I have enjoyed a few others along the way as well...but i've never FELT a difference like I do with Mvp365

john99a

Awards
Certain vitamins can help enhance the absorption of certain nutrients, but do not "build muscle", per se. As long as you're meeting the RDI/AI (or, if training heavily, on the higher end of the recommended daily dosages) for each vitamin/mineral, then you should be fine re health.
Quite the contrary. The RDA is for NORMAL people, not athletes. Even the "higher end" as you put it.

Did you know that "The synthesis of ATP by intact respiring mitochondria requires the presence of oxygen, magnesium, substrate, ADP and inorganic phosphate."

"Significant increases in urinary excretion of Mg were observed on the day of exercise (131.5 +/- 6.8 mg/day) compared with control days (108 +/- 6.6 mg/day), with the percent increase correlating with postexercise blood lactate concentration (r = 0.68; P less than 0.01) and oxygen consumption during recovery (r = 0.84; P less than 0.001)." This is due to the stress response cause by anaerobic exercise.

And most americans aren't consuming nearly enough in the first place, even athletes:
"The latest government study shows a staggering 68% of Americans do not consume the recommended daily intake of magnesium. Even more frightening are data from this study showing that 19% of Americans do not consume even half of the government’s recommended daily intake of magnesium."

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
And most americans aren't consuming nearly enough in the first place, even athletes:
"The latest government study shows a staggering 68% of Americans do not consume the recommended daily intake of magnesium. Even more frightening are data from this study showing that 19% of Americans do not consume even half of the government’s recommended daily intake of magnesium."
They would be if they were supplementing with ZMK and a proper diet :biglaugh:

john99a

Awards
They would be if they were supplementing with ZMK and a proper diet :biglaugh:
Yeah. Thats why I supplement with a highly absorbable form of magnesium as well. It's funny though, you'd be surprised how little magnesium you get even through a "proper" diet. Especially if you consider all the factors that influence magnesium absorption and excretion.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Yeah. Thats why I supplement with a highly absorbable form of magnesium as well. It's funny though, you'd be surprised how little magnesium you get even through a "proper" diet. Especially if you consider all the factors that influence magnesium absorption and excretion.
yes well a lot of the problem that people face without even realizing it, is that they are consuming the majority of their magnesium at the same time as their calcium...which i'm sure as you know, dramatically will effect the total intake of either.

john99a

Awards
yes well a lot of the problem that people face without even realizing it, is that they are consuming the majority of their magnesium at the same time as their calcium...which i'm sure as you know, dramatically will effect the total intake of either.
Exactly. High blood calcium increases urinary magnesium excretion. And I'm pretty sure I've read some studies that state they also compete for mineral transport in the small intestine.

And another thing many athletes probably didn't know, caffeine's affect on urinary magnesium (and other mineral) excretion:

Abstract: Following a minimum 10-hour fast, urine samples from 12 female college student volunteers were analyzed at 1,2,and 3 hours for Ca-, Mg-, Na-, and K-levels after drinking non-caffeinated or caffeinated test beverages (decaffeinated coffee or tea containing 0,150, or 300 mg of added caffeine). The 3-hour urinary excretion of Ca Mg, and Na but not K significantly increased after caffeine consumption. Total urine volume correlated significantly with caffeine intake per kilogram of body weight when 300 mg of caffeine were consumed, while the effects of caffeine on mineral excretions were attributed to urinary concentration changes and increased urine volume at 1 and 2 hour urine samplings. Thee possible reasons for these observed effects are discussed. (wz).

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Quite the contrary. The RDA is for NORMAL people, not athletes. Even the "higher end" as you put it...
I am well aware that athletes (and I mean SERIOUS athletes; not just someone who goes to the gym a few times a week and thinks they train hard) need higher than the average population, due to their body's needs. However there IS an upper limit on certain vitamins/minerals for safety reasons, even for athletes and those involved in heavy exercise.

john99a

Awards
I am well aware that athletes (and I mean SERIOUS athletes; not just someone who goes to the gym a few times a week and thinks they train hard) need higher than the average population, due to their body's needs. However there IS an upper limit on certain vitamins/minerals for safety reasons, even for athletes and those involved in heavy exercise.
A few hard training sessions a week is more than enough for most people to start going into a negative magnesium balance. Especially with the high amount of stressors that we are subjected to today, that we weren't in our evolutionary past.

Then add the fact that an exceedingly large part of the westernized diet consists of refined foods and you create an environment in your body that isn't suitable for magnesium retention. Such as excessive carbohydrates. Our biology isn't optimized for a high carbohydrate intake. Which is the reason the western society has had increased rates of morbidity as our carbohydrate intake has increased.

Then add to that the phytic acid found in many plants and seeds, such as grains most of us eat today. Phytic acid binds to minerals in the gastrointestinal tract and prevent them from being absorbed. Which then causes us to lose even more of the precious magnesium, which we do not get enough of in the first place, through feces. This may be partially avoidable if the foods are cooked enough, but consequently the destruction of other vitamins in inevitable.

Magnesium deficiency has been linked to many of the diseases of the present. Both physical and psychological.

A list of conditions linked to magnesium deficiency:

Allergies, Chemical Sensitivities
Anxiety, Depression and other Psychiatric Disorders
Aorta Strength
Asthma
Attention Deficit Disorder
Calcification of Soft Tissue Including Heart Valve
Diabetes
Fibromyalgia
Hearing Loss
Hypercalciuria
Keratoconus
Menstrual Cramps (Dysmenorrhea)
Migraines
Mitral valve prolapse
Muscle Contractions and Cramps
Myopia
Nystagmus
Osteoporosis and Osteopenia
Premature Birth

The list goes on on...

Just trying to spread the word on such a passionate subject of mine :)