Anybody else bad digestion of protein shakes?

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  83 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.58%

Anybody else bad digestion of protein shakes?

Am I the only one in the world who has troubles digesting pure protein shakes? I take low carb protein shakes (eg. 30 gr protein on 150 kcal per portion) my bowels start to protest (gas, sticky poo). My stomach is fine, its the bowels.

I've tried all brands, including the one with 'digestion enhancers', e.g. multipower, USN, one-stop, met-rx, etc. etc.

When I take a shake with a higher carb per dose, eg. Met Rx size up, than all is fine! But these weight gainers have up to 600 kcal per portion. I bit high for normal use....

Anybody else who has this problem? any tips?

PS I take my shakes with water and I am definitely not allergic to milk or lactose.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.78%

Even though you said you aren't, you may be lactose intolerant. Most of the protein sources you are consuming are derived from milk.

Usually these shakes that have Aminogen, or Protease Enhanced on slapped on the label, usually don't have very much of it.

I get Syntha-6 gas all the time and it has Aminogen.

Try supplementing with a Separate Protease digestive enzyme with each shake.

I know Dymatize Elite has a good amount of Digestive Enzymes, maybe give them a try.

BTW, does this happen when you consume whole food animal protein as well (fish, Beef, Chicken) or just shakes?
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  83 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.58%

Quote Originally Posted by sp447 View Post
    Even though you said you aren't, you may be lactose intolerant. Most of the protein sources you are consuming are derived from milk.
    I drink milk and eat yogurt on a daily basis (i'm Dutch, I am used to large quantities of all diary products ), so I can't imagine being intolerant.

BTW, does this happen when you consume whole food animal protein as well (fish, Beef, Chicken) or just shakes?
    It's only the shakes. If I don't take shakes, but continue with my normal eating habits, all is fine within a day of the last shake. If I take a shake again for the first time in days, it takes 6 hours before it begins again....
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  186 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.22%
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.1%

Also check the protein type, WPC, wpi, casein, etc... I became lactose intolerant in my 30s, I can handle cheese and yoghurt, but not milk or WPC. Also some brands include lactase, or like someone stated Aminogen.
  6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.07%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

WPI has works better then wpc for me. the wpc seems to sit longer in my stomach. ive learned how to handle it. bacj in college I had to run to my classes I bought wpi. My stomach got used to it and doesnt effect it as much now or I just walk slower now since Im bigger(and yes It takes a long time to get around now a days)
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  7. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.52%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

all low carb whey proteins give me gas, just get some musclemilk,yeah but your gunna say it has to much fat, it only has 12 grams now, with fiber too. So with fat, the protein digests slowlier. Its more about calories, than fat, fat is good.

If u dont want fat try out bcaa's much more anabolic than whey.and bcaa's boost your metabolism.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.78%

Quote Originally Posted by ari4216 View Post
    all low carb whey proteins give me gas, just get some musclemilk,yeah but your gunna say it has to much fat, it only has 12 grams now, with fiber too. So with fat, the protein digests slowlier. Its more about calories, than fat, fat is good.

If u dont want fat try out bcaa's much more anabolic than whey.and bcaa's boost your metabolism.
    The protein content of muscle milk is also different. The fats are mostly MCT's so they aren't bad at all.

I wouldn't use MM for post workout but more of a MR
  9. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  212 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.52%

The protein content of muscle milk is also different. The fats are mostly MCT's so they aren't bad at all.

I wouldn't use MM for post workout but more of a MR
    yeah i know, thats what i was trying to say, lot of people avoid muscle milk because of the fat,muscle milk is like a meal replacement, plus it has "anabolic fats"
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14%

Buddy your body is acidic and eating lop sided meals without alkaline foods prolly makes you feel sleepy and bloated. EAt more raw celery, tomatoes, cucumber, wheatgrass spinach and raw water bearing vegetables. Look up acid alkaline diet.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Help with Whey Protein Digestion
    By Whacked in forum Supplements
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 10-19-2009, 05:32 PM
  2. protein powder and digestion
    By Buffgammaman in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-09-2009, 08:47 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-31-2009, 02:37 PM
  4. Replies: 9