Anybody else bad digestion of protein shakes?

fresh08

fresh08

Awards
Am I the only one in the world who has troubles digesting pure protein shakes? I take low carb protein shakes (eg. 30 gr protein on 150 kcal per portion) my bowels start to protest (gas, sticky poo). My stomach is fine, its the bowels.

I've tried all brands, including the one with 'digestion enhancers', e.g. multipower, USN, one-stop, met-rx, etc. etc.

When I take a shake with a higher carb per dose, eg. Met Rx size up, than all is fine! But these weight gainers have up to 600 kcal per portion. I bit high for normal use....

Anybody else who has this problem? any tips?

PS I take my shakes with water and I am definitely not allergic to milk or lactose.

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
Even though you said you aren't, you may be lactose intolerant. Most of the protein sources you are consuming are derived from milk.

Usually these shakes that have Aminogen, or Protease Enhanced on slapped on the label, usually don't have very much of it.

I get Syntha-6 gas all the time and it has Aminogen.

Try supplementing with a Separate Protease digestive enzyme with each shake.

I know Dymatize Elite has a good amount of Digestive Enzymes, maybe give them a try.

BTW, does this happen when you consume whole food animal protein as well (fish, Beef, Chicken) or just shakes?

fresh08

fresh08

Awards
Even though you said you aren't, you may be lactose intolerant. Most of the protein sources you are consuming are derived from milk.
I drink milk and eat yogurt on a daily basis (i'm Dutch, I am used to large quantities of all diary products :) ), so I can't imagine being intolerant.

BTW, does this happen when you consume whole food animal protein as well (fish, Beef, Chicken) or just shakes?
It's only the shakes. If I don't take shakes, but continue with my normal eating habits, all is fine within a day of the last shake. If I take a shake again for the first time in days, it takes 6 hours before it begins again....

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
Also check the protein type, WPC, wpi, casein, etc... I became lactose intolerant in my 30s, I can handle cheese and yoghurt, but not milk or WPC. Also some brands include lactase, or like someone stated Aminogen.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
WPI has works better then wpc for me. the wpc seems to sit longer in my stomach. ive learned how to handle it. bacj in college I had to run to my classes I bought wpi. My stomach got used to it and doesnt effect it as much now or I just walk slower now since Im bigger(and yes It takes a long time to get around now a days)

ari4216

ari4216

Banned
Awards
  • Established
all low carb whey proteins give me gas, just get some musclemilk,yeah but your gunna say it has to much fat, it only has 12 grams now, with fiber too. So with fat, the protein digests slowlier. Its more about calories, than fat, fat is good.

If u dont want fat try out bcaa's much more anabolic than whey.and bcaa's boost your metabolism.

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
all low carb whey proteins give me gas, just get some musclemilk,yeah but your gunna say it has to much fat, it only has 12 grams now, with fiber too. So with fat, the protein digests slowlier. Its more about calories, than fat, fat is good.

If u dont want fat try out bcaa's much more anabolic than whey.and bcaa's boost your metabolism.
The protein content of muscle milk is also different. The fats are mostly MCT's so they aren't bad at all.

I wouldn't use MM for post workout but more of a MR

ari4216

ari4216

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The protein content of muscle milk is also different. The fats are mostly MCT's so they aren't bad at all.

I wouldn't use MM for post workout but more of a MR
yeah i know, thats what i was trying to say, lot of people avoid muscle milk because of the fat,muscle milk is like a meal replacement, plus it has "anabolic fats"

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Buddy your body is acidic and eating lop sided meals without alkaline foods prolly makes you feel sleepy and bloated. EAt more raw celery, tomatoes, cucumber, wheatgrass spinach and raw water bearing vegetables. Look up acid alkaline diet.