ALA and Prostate cancer increase risk

Goffio69

Awards
Hello :wave:,

According to this article (and many others on the web) Prostate cancer: more questions than answers | Nutrition Action Healthletter | Find Articles at BNET , it looks like Alpha-Lipoic-Acide can increased prostate cancer risk up to 70%.

The studdy was made by the nutrition department at the Harvard School of Public Health.

I don't really know what to think about the studdy's results/advices but I know that I take:
- 600 mg of Na-R-ALA every day
- 2.4 g of Omega-3 Fatty Acids every day

So I was wondering if I should stop taking this stuff (or lowering the dosage) ?

(in addition, there has been 1 case of prostate cancer in my familly)

What do you guys think of the article and the studdy's results?

Thanx

JSimmons2004

JSimmons2004

Awards
i believe that study is talking about alpha linolenic acid, not alpha lipoic acid, and omega-3's not commonly in fish oil (EPA & DHA)

JSimmons2004

JSimmons2004

Awards
interestingly though they say that getting over 100mg of zinc each day enlarges the prostate.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established

According to this article (and many others on the web) Prostate cancer: more questions than answers | Nutrition Action Healthletter | Find Articles at BNET , it looks like Alpha-Lipoic-Acide can increased prostate cancer risk up to 70%.

The studdy was made by the nutrition department at the Harvard School of Public Health.

I don't really know what to think about the studdy's results/advices but I know that I take:

So I was wondering if I should stop taking this stuff (or lowering the dosage) ?

Thanx
Fallacious or erroneous information.JMO

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
interestingly though they say that getting over 100mg of zinc each day enlarges the prostate.
This note from my LEF zinc lozenge bottle:"Chronic ingestion of more than 100 milligrams of zinc daily may be immunosuppressive." I think that anything more than 30 mgs daily can be toxic unless its for a brief 3 days to ward off a cold. All men should supplement zinc in reasonable doses. JMO

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established

Thanx
I think you could half the amount of each and still get the same level of benefit, are you obese?

Goffio69

Awards
i believe that study is talking about alpha linolenic acid, not alpha lipoic acid, and omega-3's not commonly in fish oil (EPA & DHA)
Google results for "alpha linoleic acid prostate cancer" :

http://www.google.fr/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:fr:official&channel=s&hl=fr&q=alpha+linoleic+acid+prostate+cancer&meta=&btnG=Recherche+Google

Google results for "alpha lipoic acid prostate cancer":

http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:fr:official&hs=bPf&q=alpha++lipoic+acid+prostate+cancer&btnG=Rechercher&meta=

effectivelly the acid concerned looks to be tle linoleic one...

Goffio69

Awards
I think you could half the amount of each and still get the same level of benefit, are you obese?
I weight 74 kg (~155 lbs) for 1.80m (~6 foot).

For the na-r-ala > I cap myself the stuff with a capsule machine and each capsule contains ~170 - 200mg (i can't dose less, too much difficult with ala pownder). I've read that the recommanded dose is 143 mg per caps, 3x days

For the EPA> I'm taking Now Super EPA, 4 caps per days. one serving => 2 caps, one serving => 720 EPA, 480 DHA. Isn't that the minimum recommanded dosage per day?

theBIGcactus

theBIGcactus

Awards
  • Established
my two grandpas have prostate cancer, and my dad was just diagnosed with it, so I am screwed.:jaw:

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
the article is talking about linoliec not lipoic, completely different...also, I hardly seen anything in it that would hold conclusiveness to the cause.

also, if you notice, the study was done with pure not flax containing antioxidants

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I weight 74 kg (~155 lbs) for 1.80m (~6 foot).

For the na-r-ala > I cap myself the stuff with a capsule machine and each capsule contains ~170 - 200mg (i can't dose less, too much difficult with ala pownder). I've read that the recommanded dose is 143 mg per caps, 3x days

For the EPA> I'm taking Now Super EPA, 4 caps per days. one serving => 2 caps, one serving => 720 EPA, 480 DHA. Isn't that the minimum recommanded dosage per day?
I think whatever you can tolerate with out sides is probably right for you, beta sitosterol is also good for you, NAC 600 and RLA 150 is a good daily dose Geronova has good products like this.

Puzzle

Awards
also supplement with saw palmetto; bonus: it may increase test levels as well
Prostate cancer responds very well to treatment is caught early enough. Don't wait until you're pissing yourself to get yourself checked. You can also have a chemical measured that is a fair signal for prostate growth but it's by no means a perfect test.

Lycopene (tomatoes- esp cooked; and supps)
Broccoli (very briefly steamed or raw... an auger juicer is great way to extract the raw juice - and use the pulp at the end of cooking... like throwing into an omlette at the last moment). Also... Source Naturals do a great supp: Broccoli Sprouts extract which is high in anticarcinogenic sulphur.