Protein for baking?

JSimmons2004

JSimmons2004

Awards
Anyone ever use protein when they bake things like pancakes or bran muffins or something like that? My wife is thinking of giving this a try, but what is the best way to do it? I know Optimum makes something called "Any Whey" but is that the best or can you just use vanilla protein powder?

Thanks in advance!
-Jeff

Motox

Awards
  • Established
I am pretty sure heat will destroy the protein.

ari4216

ari4216

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Anyone ever use protein when they bake things like pancakes or bran muffins or something like that? My wife is thinking of giving this a try, but what is the best way to do it? I know Optimum makes something called "Any Whey" but is that the best or can you just use vanilla protein powder?

Thanks in advance!
-Jeff
def get the optimum any whey, its great for baking its made for that, regular vanila proteins will make the cakes taste terrible.

Also might want to condider muscle, bakes greats with pancakes and stuff like that.:donut:

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Extreme heat can degrade protein which could be a problem in baking some things that require long exposure to high heat. Any Whey is pretty much tasteles and great for baking in. I do use regular chocolate whey in pancakes and it works just fine. Even if some of it gets degraded it will still bump up the protein content.

allstar

allstar

Awards
  • Established
Ingredients:
3 Tbsp Wholesome Fast Food Powder
2 scoops Protein Powder (Chocolate or Vanilla)
5 Tbsp oatmeal flour/oat flour **
1 egg white
4-6 Tbsp water
1/2 tsp vanilla (optional)
3 packets Splenda (optional)

Directions: Preheat over to 350. Mix all ingredients together in small bowl. Prepare as cookies and bake as directed.

JSimmons2004

JSimmons2004

Awards
Ingredients:
3 Tbsp Wholesome Fast Food Powder
2 scoops Protein Powder (Chocolate or Vanilla)
5 Tbsp oatmeal flour/oat flour **
1 egg white
4-6 Tbsp water
1/2 tsp vanilla (optional)
3 packets Splenda (optional)

Directions: Preheat over to 350. Mix all ingredients together in small bowl. Prepare as cookies and bake as directed.
Awesome, cookies- thanks for the recipe!

JSimmons2004

JSimmons2004

Awards
def get the optimum any whey, its great for baking its made for that, regular vanila proteins will make the cakes taste terrible.

Also might want to condider muscle, bakes greats with pancakes and stuff like that.:donut:
I didn't think about the heat breaking the proteins down. Hmm... Is the Optimum Any Whey intended to stand up to the heat of baking? I should probably just look it up myself, but thought I'd ask.

Rick28

Rick28

Awards
  • Established
I am pretty sure heat will destroy the protein.
You are correct. Heating whey protein will degrade it so even if the protein pancakes have lets say 24 grams more protein, it will be 24 grams of useless protein that the body can't utilize.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You are correct. Heating whey protein will degrade it so even if the protein pancakes have lets say 24 grams more protein, it will be 24 grams of useless protein that the body can't utilize.
Acctually no, he is not totally correct. heating protein doesn't 'destroy' the protein but it does denature the protein structure. but most of the amino acides are still there, your body can diggest it and use this protein. When food is cooked, some of its proteins become denatured. This is why boiled eggs become hard and cooked meat becomes firm.

A classic example of denaturing in proteins comes from egg whites, which are largely egg albumins in water. Fresh from the eggs, egg whites are transparent and liquid. Cooking the whites turns them opaque, forming a solid mass.
is cooked egg white useless? of course not.

bobocpt55

bobocpt55

Awards
Acctually no, he is not totally correct. heating protein doesn't 'destroy' the protein but it does denature the protein structure. but most of the amino acides are still there, your body can diggest it and use this protein. When food is cooked, some of its proteins become denatured. This is why boiled eggs become hard and cooked meat becomes firm.

A classic example of denaturing in proteins comes from egg whites, which are largely egg albumins in water. Fresh from the eggs, egg whites are transparent and liquid. Cooking the whites turns them opaque, forming a solid mass.
is cooked egg white useless? of course not.
You hit it right on the head:hammer:

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I use a baking protein that is specifically for baking and it even says on the label baking protein.

ari4216

ari4216

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Extreme heat can degrade protein which could be a problem in baking some things that require long exposure to high heat. Any Whey is pretty much tasteles and great for baking in. I do use regular chocolate whey in pancakes and it works just fine. Even if some of it gets degraded it will still bump up the protein content.
any protein degrades when u heat it up,meat,fish,ect, u just have to make shure u dont overcook.

Nothing like raw steak! mmmmm.......

ari4216

ari4216

Banned
Awards
  • Established
denatured protein are useless at all, but there is a following of people who do the raw foods diet, in which they dont cook meats and vegetable.

Me, i like to cook my steak very rare, but still cook it to kill the bacteria that might be there just in case.

JSimmons2004

JSimmons2004

Awards
denatured protein are useless at all, but there is a following of people who do the raw foods diet, in which they dont cook meats and vegetable.

Me, i like to cook my steak very rare, but still cook it to kill the bacteria that might be there just in case.
Chicken? Steak? Eggs? You eat all that raw? Or close to it? What about ground beef? That sounds crazy to me!

Just a question, though. So, cooking a meat will render the protein less effective? I mean, you can't eat a raw chicken breast... or atleast I wouldn't. Now, I just made some stuffed shells in which I pretty much doubled the beef in them with 93% lean beef. I had to brown the meat and then bake the whole thing at 375 for 40 minutes. Did I just destroy the protein in this meat? Surely not... right?

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
ON Any Whey

Anabolic Innovations has a Pancake mix that I hear is pretty good too.

ari4216

ari4216

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Chicken? Steak? Eggs? You eat all that raw? Or close to it? What about ground beef? That sounds crazy to me!

Just a question, though. So, cooking a meat will render the protein less effective? I mean, you can't eat a raw chicken breast... or atleast I wouldn't. Now, I just made some stuffed shells in which I pretty much doubled the beef in them with 93% lean beef. I had to brown the meat and then bake the whole thing at 375 for 40 minutes. Did I just destroy the protein in this meat? Surely not... right?
not there was atype in my comment.

Cooked protein are good as well, but fresh protein is more bioavailve to the msucle or whatever.

AS long as u don burn ur foods,ur okay/:bruce3::bruce3:

JSimmons2004

JSimmons2004

Awards
well, it's a good thing I wouldn't eat a burned chicken breast anyway! I had a friend who ate steaks raw, but wow, it's just too risky for me. Medium. Lots of peppercorn!

Rick28

Rick28

Awards
  • Established
Here's an article from Paul Delia, CEO of AST:

Yes, heat will severely damage whey protein and along with acid processing, heat is whey's worst enemy. I'm going to let you in on a dirty little secret other supplement companies sure wish I would keep tight lipped about. Most whey protein is heat damaged during processing and therefore heat damaged (cross linked) before it’s even put into the container to be sold. Processing whey protein without heat is a much lengthier and more costly process and therefore, the majority of the companies selling whey protein supplements do not use this more expensive whey protein. They may claim “cool processed” on their label, but the fact is, the protein is processed with heat, it's denatured (cross-linked), and it's very poorly utilized in the body. As a consumer, you have no way of knowing this. However, there is a big giveaway, if it’s cheep, it’s cross linked and far less effective.

Understanding heat and its effect on whey should tell you that microwaving VP2 Whey Isolate with your oats is not a good idea. We go to great lengths and expense to ensure our undenatured whey isolate is produced in a cool environment from beginning to end. Don’t reduce the potent muscle building effects of VP2 Whey Isolate by subjecting it to heat.

If you like to use VP2 with your oats, cook your oats, let them cool to a lukewarm temperature and then mix in your VP2 Whey isolate. This tastes great and provides you with the potent muscle-building effects of VP2 Whey Isolate with no compromise.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
u have to use low heat i believe <130 degrees F. but thats hard to monitor. i also believe denaturaiztion of the protein comes from DIRECT heat.....